New video chat/conference software

Search This thread

reelportal

Jan 11, 2011
Los Angeles
I ported my ReelPortal video conference to Android recently. It's reported to be working on the Viewsonic G Tablet with certain ROMs. I believe it works on the Archos 70/101, but I don't know how well, since the G Tablet has the Tegra-2 dual-core CPU and the Archos don't.

Anyhow, my app is published on AppLibs, or you can get it from the G Tablet thread here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=908613

Please provide feedback if you try it. Thanks.

Beware of firmware 2.1.3 (not sure if 2.1.4 is any better):
Kashban: I got word from one of my friends owning an Archos 101 (non rooted, latest firmware 2.1.3), that ReelPortal is very buggy and slow on it. I have no problems on UrukDroid based on FW 2.0.71 and still waiting for Uruk to move on to the new FW, so as soon as I migrated I will test again.

Last edited:
Reactions: cajl and ookiller

cajl

May 5, 2008
near PARIS (94)
jbmm.cajl.info
i am use your APK on Archos 10.1 it and 7.0
for 4.3 it the webcam is on side of the Archos

install ok
connect ok
how deconnect ?
but the screen with the webcam is very big
have you a solution ?
see pictures
1.png

2.png

3.png

Last edited:

Kashban

Feedback

First of all: Nicely done.

I tested it between my HTC Desire, the Archos 101it and my Netbook running Win7 32bit using Firefox 3.6.x.

A few Things which may be improved from my Perspective:

1. Exit function:

Not prominent enough on Android: If you just chose to back out of the App, it's still running, including Video and Audio broadcast. This is good if you want to bring another App to front without breaking the Conference, but if you intend to disconnect, you have to longpress on the Screen, which isn't obvious at first. You may accidently broadcast on and on without knowing.

Proposal: If leaving the app by the back button, ask the user what to do: Exit Application or put it in the background with running video/audio or put it in the background with video/audio stopped and muted. If the App is in background and still sending, it should show this by an Icon in the status bar of Android. Don't know if that's a goal possible to achieve with Adobe Air. Otherwise you may be sending video / audio without knowing and giving away your privacy.

Regarding privacy: Is there a way to encrypt the Streams? If not, even with your own Server someone might spoof on the Connection (I know it's P2P, but nevertheless routed through internet relays).
  2. Login screen:
    Sometimes when writing into the Nickname / Room Fields a leading Space is added and the Strings are not accepted. Better strip any leading and trailing Spaces from the input Strings without bothering the User.

Terms of Service: Should be gone once I clicked "save" and changable by Options Menu.

Would be nice if the App stores my Nickname and the Room I used before

Moving Windows are fancy but not needed on the login Screen. I was more irritated by it.
  3. The Conference Room:

Paused Video Stream of Participant: No indication whether the Connection has been lost or the Participant paused the Stream. Perhaps putting a Message on Screen for Paused Streams (and Muted voice) would lead to more Confidence in the Robustness of the Software and the Connection.

Size of Conference Room Items: On small Screens like my 3.7 inch one of the Desire the Chat Window Controls are too small. Everything else seems to be ok.
  4. Video Stream Quality. How is the initial setting calculated? Is it depending on the current kBit/s or just an overall Default?
Anyhow, this is a good Piece of Software you developed here. I'm not familiar with other Solutions on Android like Fring or Skype, but it looks very promising given the Fact it runs on all Devices with Flash Capacity (even iPhones and iPads with the Packager from Adobe)

Best regards,
Kashban

Reactions: reelportal

reelportal

Jan 11, 2011
Los Angeles
i am use your APK on Archos 10.1 it and 7.0
for 4.3 it the webcam is on side of the Archos

install ok
connect ok
how deconnect ?
but the screen with the webcam is very big
have you a solution ?
see pictures

If you press and hold on the main screen for 4 seconds, a pop up menu appears. It has the "Exit" and "Toggle Screen" buttons. The toggle screen suppose to toggle the screen between FullScreen and Normal (which is default to 800x480), but it doesn't work on Android because currently on Android, Normal equals FullScreen. I will look for other ways to get around it. Thanks for bringing it up.

For netbook, you can run it from a web browser at www.reelportal.com. Or you can install the AIR version via download link.

BTW, double-clicking on the main screen should also toggle the screen, but also not working on Android :(.

Last edited:

reelportal

Jan 11, 2011
Los Angeles

I tested it between my HTC Desire, the Archos 101it and my Netbook running Win7 32bit using Firefox 3.6.x.

1. Exit function:

Not prominent enough on Android: If you just chose to back out of the App, it's still running, including Video and Audio broadcast. This is good if you want to bring another App to front without breaking the Conference, but if you intend to disconnect, you have to longpress on the Screen, which isn't obvious at first. You may accidently broadcast on and on without knowing.

Proposal: If leaving the app by the back button, ask the user what to do: Exit Application or put it in the background with running video/audio or put it in the background with video/audio stopped and muted. If the App is in background and still sending, it should show this by an Icon in the status bar of Android. Don't know if that's a goal possible to achieve with Adobe Air. Otherwise you may be sending video / audio without knowing and giving away your privacy.

Regarding privacy: Is there a way to encrypt the Streams? If not, even with your own Server someone might spoof on the Connection (I know it's P2P, but nevertheless routed through internet relays).
  2. Login screen:
    Sometimes when writing into the Nickname / Room Fields a leading Space is added and the Strings are not accepted. Better strip any leading and trailing Spaces from the input Strings without bothering the User.

Terms of Service: Should be gone once I clicked "save" and changable by Options Menu.

Moving Windows are fancy but not needed on the login Screen. I was more irritated by it.
  3. The Conference Room:

Paused Video Stream of Participant: No indication whether the Connection has been lost or the Participant paused the Stream. Perhaps putting a Message on Screen for Paused Streams (and Muted voice) would lead to more Confidence in the Robustness of the Software and the Connection.

Size of Conference Room Items: On small Screens like my 3.7 inch one of the Desire the Chat Window Controls are too small. Everything else seems to be ok.
  4. Video Stream Quality. How is the initial setting calculated? Is it depending on the current kBit/s or just an overall Default?
Anyhow, this is a good Piece of Software you developed here. I'm not familiar with other Solutions on Android like Fring or Skype, but it looks very promising given the Fact it runs on all Devices with Flash Capacity (even iPhones and iPads with the Packager from Adobe)

Best regards,
Kashban

Thank you for the extensive feedback! I definitely like a fresh perspective. I will put your ideas on my to do list.

njbreaker

Feb 1, 2008
I was able to install on my 101 I now have to get adobe air and i'll try it later tonight.

I also tried to install it on my stock 2.1 verizon facinate and the apk won't install using astro.....any ideas?

Thanks,

-G

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

reelportal

Jan 11, 2011
Los Angeles
I was able to install on my 101 I now have to get adobe air and i'll try it later tonight.

I also tried to install it on my stock 2.1 verizon facinate and the apk won't install using astro.....any ideas?

Thanks,

-G

it needs to have Android 2.2, and Adobe AIR 2.5.1, otherwise it won't function even if you manage to install it, because the API is not there to access the hardware....also, if your device have 2 cameras, the current API only allow access to 1 camera (most likely the back one). Android 2.3 would allow access to multiple cameras.

Reactions: njbreaker

blazingwolf

Nov 11, 2006
thanks...well the camera resolution is currently set to low (320x240) just so the device won't bog down...my plan is to allow the user to select the resolution, in a future version...but i don't have an Archos, so i can't really tell its actual camera quality.

I think it is a VGA camera. Not very good to begin with. If you can let us change that though it would be great.

reelportal

Jan 11, 2011
Los Angeles
I think it is a VGA camera. Not very good to begin with. If you can let us change that though it would be great.

Definitely! Actually, the original settings was at 640x480, but when some Samsung Galaxy Tab user reported the device was crawling at 1 frame every 5 secs, I figured the tablet cpu may not able to handle it, so I reduced it for now. But I do want to make it a user adjustable control. Same with the frame rate.

njbreaker

Feb 1, 2008
it needs to have Android 2.2, and Adobe AIR 2.5.1, otherwise it won't function even if you manage to install it, because the API is not there to access the hardware....also, if your device have 2 cameras, the current API only allow access to 1 camera (most likely the back one). Android 2.3 would allow access to multiple cameras.

Roger that!

it worked on my 101 and i video chatted w/ my PC! I LIKE....lots of potential here!

now should i root and upgrade to froyo so it works on my fascinate? hmmm. :confused:

jetv1r

Jul 14, 2010
Dublin
reelportal...cool apps, it works ok on my 101T but its a little bit laggy? what will be the problem here?

reelportal

Jan 11, 2011
Los Angeles
reelportal...cool apps, it works ok on my 101T but its a little bit laggy? what will be the problem here?

can you describe your setup details, like:
- are you testing between the 101T and another PC or something else
- is there lag with audio only test (video turned off)
- is there lag with video only test
- and at which end (tablet or PC) do you see the lag
- are you using P2P mode (default), or client/server mode

thanks.

reelportal

Jan 11, 2011
Los Angeles
New Version (1.0.1)

i just added a newer (experimental) version in the first post of the viewsonic thread:

Changes:
- option to save nickname and room last used (you can clear it by set the fields to blank, then save).
- added new field to enter the Server ip address, in case you want to run your own server (if not set, it defaults to the last used server)
- hide that annoying red TOS box when you check it, and click Save.
- when you enable the webcam, you can set its resolution and frame rate.

the web client is running the new version also. feedback please.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I ported my ReelPortal video conference to Android recently. It's reported to be working on the Viewsonic G Tablet with certain ROMs. I believe it works on the Archos 70/101, but I don't know how well, since the G Tablet has the Tegra-2 dual-core CPU and the Archos don't.

Anyhow, my app is published on AppLibs, or you can get it from the G Tablet thread here:

Please provide feedback if you try it. Thanks.

Beware of firmware 2.1.3 (not sure if 2.1.4 is any better):
    Kashban: I got word from one of my friends owning an Archos 101 (non rooted, latest firmware 2.1.3), that ReelPortal is very buggy and slow on it. I have no problems on UrukDroid based on FW 2.0.71 and still waiting for Uruk to move on to the new FW, so as soon as I migrated I will test again.
    Feedback

1. Exit function:

2. Login screen:

3. The Conference Room:

Best regards,
    Kashban

Thanks,

-G