New WM6 Upgrade Guide

Search This thread

hma4

Jun 5, 2007
**French Translation Click here : French Translation (Thanks to xvx45)
**German Translation Click here: German Translation (Thanks to animelover)
**Indonesian Translation Click here: Indonesian Translation (Thanks to varanusvincent)
**Italian Translation Click here: Italian Translation (Thanks to slim_s200)

The old way of upgrading to wm6 is dead and gone. This is a guide to upgrade your phone from WM5 to WM6.
You should follow these steps carefully. Step 3 and 4 are necessary only if the WM6 rom you have downloaded instead of nk.nbf has os.nb file and the ExtROM folder:
  1. Download update_package.zip and unzip it on your PC.

Update_Package (rapidshare)
    Update_Package (4shared)
  2. HardSPL
    If you haven't HardSPL your phone you should. :) but the good news is you have to do it once and for all.

Connect your device to the usb port then go to HardSPL folder and run HardSPL.bat from your PC. (Thanks to Prislav)
    The HardSPL.bat will perform the SoftSPL first and then will do the HardSPL. so you don't have to do the SoftSPL manually.
    Before doing the HardSPL you should know:
    • SPL - Second Program Loader is a boot loader. SPL is similar to a BIOS in a computer and can be flashed and updated.
    • G3 or G4: If you soft reset your phone you will see four numbers on top left of the screen. The first one is IPL version. which has this format : #.##.000# the last digit of IPL version indicates if the device is G3 or G4. the G4 device IPL version will end with 0001 and the G3 device IPL version will end with 0000. for example if your device is G4 you might see something like: 2.20.0001
    • the reason we HardSPL the phone is that the original SPL that comes with the phone check the CID

3. Making the Extension Rom.nb (using that 10Mb that we never used)
    • go to Update_Package\Create Extended Rom\Winimage Trial and run the winimage.exe
    • open the Create Extended Rom\extrom-base\extende_rom.nb with winimage.exe
      you will see a file inside it says : "You should put your files here". Delete that file! :)
    • go to the ExtRom folder. (Look at the picture) you will find ExtRom folder in most of the wm6 roms. when you download a wm6 rom, this folder is usually beside the Upgrade_ROM.bat .
    • make all the files read only (Select them, right click , then properties and then read Only) <-------Important!! (Updated)
    • inject the ExtRom folder
    • save the file.
    Screen2-1.jpg

4. Convert os.nb and extended_rom.nb to nk.nbf
    • go to Update_Package\Create Nk.nbf and run nb2nbf.exe
    • Change the Model ID from Wizard to : Prophet
    • the CID filed must be empty!! But you can put any number for the OEM version.
    • select "File #1" then browse and select the extended_rom.nb that you have created from step 3.
    • Set the start address to 9B000000
    • Type Extension Rom for image name (Extension Rom not Extended Rom)!!! Edit: you can also write Extension instead of Extension Rom.
    • select "File #2" then browse and select the os.nb you have downloaded.
    • Select OS from Image Name drop down box
    • Select the location you want to save the output file (nk.nbf)
    • Click on Translate button on the top right of the screen.

Screen3.jpg

5. Flash the nk.nbf
    Using ROMUpdateUtility_NV_G3.exe or ROMUpdateUtility_NV_G4.exe you can flash the nk.nbf file you have created (or downloaded).
    • copy the nk.nbf that you have created to Update_Package\Update Utilities.
    • click on ROMUpdateUtility_NV_G3.exe or ROMUpdateUtility_NV_G4.exe and follow the instructions. Your main battery has to be more than 50% charge in order to be able to upgrade your rom( just a safety measure).

The benefits of using this new method:
  • More STORAGE area ! the smaller the os.nb the larger your storage!
    I encourage all of you who haven't tried this method yet, to try this method. Specially if your favorite rom is relatively a clean rom and consequently has small os.nb. If you want to know how much extra storage you will get by using this method subtract the size of the os.nb (in kb) from 58,368. the difference will be the amount of storage you will gain when you try this new method.
  • Faster and safer Rom Upgrade.

Update: I have Attached the ScreenShots for those who can't see them from where I uploaded them.
Update2: You have to make the files in ExtRom read only before injecting the ExtRom folder.

Last edited:

Homertje

Nov 11, 2006
Leeuwarden
myspace.com
thanks a bunch hma4 this makes life... good and easy...
why now so sudden all this really perfect sollutions... now that the prophet is getting OLD...
well i'm gunna stick to my prophet just a while longer... :)

Last edited:

k0ster

Nov 1, 2006
[*] Convert os.nb and extended_rom.nb to nk.nbf
  • go to Update_Package\Create Nk.nbf and run nb2nbf.exe
  • Change the Model ID from Wizard to : PM300
  • do not type anything in other fields.
  • select "File #1" (Important!!) then browse and select the extended_rom.nb that you have created from step 3.
  • Set the start address to 9B000000
  • Type Extension Rom for image name (Extension Rom not Extended Rom)!!!
  • select "File #2" then browse and select the os.nb you have downloaded.
  • Select OS from Image Name drop down box
  • Select the location you want to save the output file (nk.nbf)
  • Click on Translate button on the top right of the screen.

I want to post some correctives:

Model ID: Prophet
Language: ENG or RUS (like i do :) )
OEM version: any digits
Operator version: any digits
CID: MUST be empty
Output file: path to yours nk.nbf

File 1: any nb-file (in my nk.nbf - this is 80040000-OS.nb, image name is OS)
File 2: any nb file (in my nk.nbf - this is 9b000000-Extension.nb, image name is - Extension)

If you want, you could add GSM and Splash.
But if i insert GSM and Splash, i insert GSM in File 1, Splash in File 2, OS in File 3, ExtROM in File 4. (Like in official ROM :) )

Enjoy.

hma4

Jun 5, 2007
I want to post some correctives:

Model ID: Prophet
Language: ENG or RUS (like i do :) )
OEM version: any digits
Operator version: any digits
CID: MUST be empty
Output file: path to yours nk.nbf

File 1: any nb-file (in my nk.nbf - this is 80040000-OS.nb, image name is OS)
File 2: any nb file (in my nk.nbf - this is 9b000000-Extension.nb, image name is - Extension)

If you want, you could add GSM and Splash.
But if i insert GSM and Splash, i insert GSM in File 1, Splash in File 2, OS in File 3, ExtROM in File 4. (Like in official ROM :) )

Enjoy.

Thanks K0ster, but the Model ID or the order of files I think doesn't matter. I followed the Faria instructions in his tutorial. the first field "File #1" is the only field that can have a longer name such as "Extension Rom". I haven't test "Extension" instead of "Extension Rom", but I think both is possible and correct. I will update the first post accordingly :)

once again thank you for your review :)

Panas78

Nov 28, 2007
IF CID Unlocked by paid service do i need HardSPL ?

I have an Orange SPV M600 and i CID unlocked it using the paid service.
So do i have to HardSPL my phone ???

animelover

Dec 21, 2004
Berlin
I followed the described steps very exactly but my Neo stucks in bootloader everytime I flashed it with my created nk.nbf! :confused:

There are two reasons why it's not working for me, I think:
- I did a mistake in creating the OS.nb
- I did a mistake in creating the nk.nbf

I make a new try with the Mysterious 1.0 GER, hopefully it will work for me ...! :(

k0ster

Nov 1, 2006
I followed the described steps very exactly but my Neo stucks in bootloader everytime I flashed it with my created nk.nbf! :confused:

There are two reasons why it's not working for me, I think:
- I did a mistake in creating the OS.nb
- I did a mistake in creating the nk.nbf

I make a new try with the Mysterious 1.0 GER, hopefully it will work for me ...! :(

You MUST use JumpSPL or HardSPL for Prophet.
But for install HardSPL you need JumpSPL :)

hma4

Jun 5, 2007
You MUST use JumpSPL or HardSPL for Prophet.
But for install HardSPL you need JumpSPL :)

@animelover, k0ster is right ! :)

The HardSPL.bat that I've provided here will do the softSPL and then HardSPL. just follow the procedure one by one.

Last edited:

nandlal_mk

Oct 24, 2006
The benefits of using this new method:
  • More STORAGE area ! the smaller the os.nb the larger your storage!
    I encourage all of you who haven't tried this method yet, to try this method. Specially if your favorite rom is relatively a clean rom and consequently has small os.nb. If you want to know how much extra storage you will get by using this method subtract the size of the os.nb (in kb) from 58,368. the difference will be the amount of storage you will gain when you try this new method.
I havnt tried whole method but step 3-5 are normal and 2 is new, so is 'more storage' result of step 2 ? (yes one has to use tadzio to reduce OS.nb)
what might be actual cause of 'more storage'?

hma4

Jun 5, 2007
I havnt tried whole method but step 3-5 are normal and 2 is new, so is 'more storage' result of step 2 ? (yes one has to use tadzio to reduce OS.nb)
what might be actual cause of 'more storage'?

flashing with UpdateUtility. :) when you flash your roms with Pdocwrite even though the os.nb is small, the storage area wont get merged with that free space. Making the nk.nbf and then flashing it with UpdateUtility will merge that free space with storage. also as you know you can't flash your rom with UpdateUtility if you haven't Hard(or soft) SPL.

Last edited:

animelover

Dec 21, 2004
Berlin
I've followed the steps exactly again, with the same result: my Neo stucks at the second boot screen! :mad:

I used the HyperCore Kitchen to cook the OS.nb with a size of 49,9 MB instead of 57 MB! After that I used your nb2nbf, merged the Extension ROM image (only with 3 CAB files, the AutoRun.exe, Config.txt and Extension ROM image) and OS.nb to a nk.nbf! I've started the HardSPL installation, finished it well and then started the ROMUpdateUtility_NV_G4.exe (I have a G4 XDA Neo)!
I don't know where's my mistake, it's a ****ing ****! (Not your method :D)

And the screen of my Neo is flickering a little bit now! :confused:

nandlal_mk

Oct 24, 2006
flashing with UpdateUtility. :) when you flash your roms with Pdocwrite even though the os.nb is small, the storage area wont get merged with that free space. Making the nk.nbf and then flashing it with UpdateUtility will merge that free space with storage. also as you know you can't flash your rom with UpdateUtility if you haven't Hard(or soft) SPL.
that means 'more storage ' can be achieved even only with SSPL ?

hma4

Jun 5, 2007
I've followed the steps exactly again, with the same result: my Neo stucks at the second boot screen! :mad:

I used the HyperCore Kitchen to cook the OS.nb with a size of 49,9 MB instead of 57 MB! After that I used your nb2nbf, merged the Extension ROM image (only with 3 CAB files, the AutoRun.exe, Config.txt and Extension ROM image) and OS.nb to a nk.nbf! I've started the HardSPL installation, finished it well and then started the ROMUpdateUtility_NV_G4.exe (I have a G4 XDA Neo)!
I don't know where's my mistake, it's a ****ing ****! (Not your method :D)
And the screen of my Neo is flickering a little bit now! :confused:

Take it easy man :) Make sure your os.nb is okay to begin with then make sure you are typing those start address and image name correctly.

nandlal_mk

Oct 24, 2006
yes ,SPL has nothing to do with the storage ! :) as I said before it's the UpdateUtility.

OK it works in my style!:cool:
As i dont want to alter SPL permanatly, i just ran SSPL and flashed reduce size OS.nb with old NVID_RUU (its same as in package provided here:) ).
And sure-- Spaces are MORE..!!!!!:)

thanx hma4 for right direction and time saving.

cbolumar

Nov 25, 2006
Hi hma4 , this is working for me in all the Rom's but in Korand ROM the extended don't work after flash .

Do you know if we must change the extended adress with this specific ROM.

Regards.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FRENCH TRANSLATION

Nouveau guide de mise à jours WM6
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

L'anicenne méthode de mise à jours est révolue. Ceci est un guide pour mettre à jours votre Prophet de WM5 à WM6.

Vous devez suivre ces étapes avec attention et rigueur. Les étapes 3 et 4 ne sont seulements nécessaires si vous avez téléchargé une ROM wm6 qui n'est pas au format nk.nbf mais OS.nb et le dossier Extrom:

1. Téléchargez "update_package.zip" et décompressez sur votre PC.
    Lien Rapidshare
    Lien 4shared

2. HardSPL
    Si vous n'avez pas appliqué de HardSPL à votre appareil vous devriez. mais la bonne nouvelle c'est que vous ne le ferez qu'une fois pour toutes !
    Connectez votre appareil au port USB puis allez dans le dossier "HardSPL" et lancez "HardSPL.bat" depuis votre PC. (Merci à Prislav)
    "HardSPL.bat" va d'abord lancer le SoftSPL puis le HardSPL. Vous n'avez pas à lancer le SoftSPL vous même.

Avant de faire le HardSPL vous devez savoir:
    • SPL - "Second Program Loader" est le chargeur de boot. SPL est similaire au BIOS dans un PC est peux être flashé et mis à jours.
    • G3 où G4: Si vous redemarrez votre appareil vous allez voir des chiffresen haut à gauchede l'écran. Le premier est la version IPL. au format format : #.##.000# le dernier chiffre de la version IPL indique si l'appareil est G3 où G4. Si elle termine par 1 c'est un G4 où par 0 c'est un G4.
    • la raison pour laquelle nous réalisons un HardSPL est que le téléphone avec le SPL d'origine vérifie la provenance de la ROM (CID).
    3. Créer Extended Rom.nb (utiliser 10Mo que nous n'avons jamais utilisé)
    • aller à "Update_Package\Create Extended Rom\Winimage Trial" et lancer "winimage.exe"
    • ouvrir "Create Extended Rom\extrom-base\extende_rom.nb" avec winimage.exe. Vous allez voir un fichier à l'intérieur nommé : "You should put your files here". Supprimez ce fichier!
    • allez dans le dossier de l'ExtRom. (voir screenshot) vous devriez trouvez un dossier ExtRom dans beaucoup de ROM WM6. lorsque vous téléchargez une ROM WM6 ce dossier est habituellement dans le dossier où se trouve "Upgrade_ROM.bat" .
    • Changer les attributs de tous les fichier en lecture seule (Selectionnez tout , click droit , "properties", "read Only") <-------Important!!
    • injecter le dossier ExtRom
    • sauvez le fichier.
    Screen2-1.jpg

4. Convertion de os.nb et extended_rom.nb en nk.nbf
    • aller à "Update_Package\Create Nk.nbf" et lancer "nb2nbf.exe"
    • Changer "Model ID" de Wizard par : Prophet
    • La case CID doit être vide!! mais vous pouvez entrer ce que vous voullez pour "OEM version".
    • selectionner "File #1" et parcourir et séléctionner "extended_rom.nb" que vous avez crée lors de l'étape 3.
    • Définir "start address" à 9B000000
    • Entrer "Extension Rom" pour "image name"
    • selectionner "File #2" et parcourir et séléctionner "os.nb" que vous avez téléchargé.
    • Selectionner "OS" depuis "Image Name"
    • Choisir l'endroit où vous désirez sauver le fichier (nk.nbf)
    • Clicker sur "Translate".
    Screen3.jpg

5. Flasher le "nk.nbf "
    En utilisant "ROMUpdateUtility_NV_G3.exe" ou "ROMUpdateUtility_NV_G4.exe" vous pouvez flasher le "nk.nbf" que vous avez crée (où téléchargé).
    • copier "nk.nbf" que vous avez crée dans"Update_Package\Update Utilities".
    • lancer "ROMUpdateUtility_NV_G3.exe" ou "ROMUpdateUtility_NV_G4.exe" puis suivre les instructions. Vous devez avoir au minimum 50% de batterie.
    Les bénéfices de cette nouvelle methode:
    • Plus de place en mémoire "STORAGE" ! plus petit est le os.nb tplus vous aurez de place!J'encourage tous ceux qui n'ont pas tentez cette méthode de l'essayer. Speciallement si votre ROM favorite est relativement propre et en conséuenceà un petit os.nb. Si vous voulez savoir combien de place supplémentaire vous allez avoirsoustrayez le poids de os.nb (en kb) de 58,368. la différence sera le gain de place.
    • Mise à jour plus rapide et plus sûre.