Newbie-friendly: TWRP and Root for Samsung S3 Tablet

Search This thread

klaberte

Jul 19, 2007
Google Pixel 5
Tested SM-T820, for Android O. It is reported that it works for Android P as well, with small modification (see below).

This post is designed to gather information found across this forum to give a step-by-step guide for obtaining a custom recovery TWRP and Root (via Magisk) for the Samsung S3 tablets running Android O. This process works if you are upgrading or staying with Oreo. [If you wish to run Android N, there is a slightly different process.] This process will wipe the contents of the tablet, so make backups as appropriate.

Credit to the software authors, original post creators (especially ashxy) and all those who contributed to the discussions to clarify all the issues. Most of the specifics below were hammered out in https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-s3/development/recovery-twrp-3-1-0-1-samsung-galaxy-t3581359.

WARNING Flashing a custom recovery to your device will trip the Knox warranty bit on your phone. Check with your mobile provider to see if they will still cover warranty on Knox bit triggered devices. If you understand this risk, continue on. You generally don't have to worry, as it's incredibly hard to brick a Samsung device, and physical damage warranties should be exempt from Knox triggering. [credit: jcadduono]

The below instructions are for Android O (Oreo). User BenG7 reports (I have not verified) that the same process, with slight modification, will work for Android P (Pie). See posts #38 and #39 for those modified instructions.

1. DOWNLOAD
a. ODIN​
https://samsungodin.com/ (I used 3.13.1)​
b. Samsung USB Drivers​
c. Original firmware​
Search for SM-T820 and download latest version 8.X at http://updato.com/firmware-archive-select-model
d. TWRP​
At some point, it will likely find an official version at https://twrp.me/Devices/. For now, grab the latest beta version at https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-s3/development/recovery-twrp-3-1-0-1-samsung-galaxy-t3581359
e. Magisk​
f. Ashxy's oreo encryption disabler https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=890278863836288163

2. PREPERATION

a. While running your tablet in Android, go to Settings -> About device. Tap 7 times on Build number to enable Developer options. [credit: jcadduono]​
b. Now go to Settings -> Developer options. You need to enable OEM unlock, otherwise you might end up with boot problems or be unable to flash later on. Do not ever turn off Developer Options or OEM unlock. Doing so will cause your device to refuse to boot and require a full factory restore. [credit: jcadduono]​
c. Turn off your tablet.​
d. Get a micro SD card​
e. Copy Magisk and oreo encryption disabler onto microSD card​
f. Install microSD card into Tablet​
g. Install Samsung USB Drivers on Windows machine​
h. Unzip ODIN (1a) and Original firmware (1c) on your Windows computer​
i. While tablet is off, plug in usb cable between tablet and Windows computer​
3. REFLASH ORIGINAL FIRMWARE (Optional if your tablet is already running Oreo)
a. Enter Download mode, press and hold Home, Down Vol, and Power until you see the Warning screen of the downloader mode. Press Vol up to continue​
b. Open up ODIN, confirm that ODIN can see your tablet. We will fill in three files for flashing. Click AP button on Odin. In popup, select AP_[blah blah].tar.md5 (whatever AP file you downloaded in step 1c). After selecting the file, Odin will check the signature of the file you downloaded and appear to freeze up. Let it finish, and it will report: <OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully.. <OSM> Leave CS.. In a similar way, fill in the BL and the CSC files. As these are much smaller, the signature checks will go much faster. [Use the CSC file, not the HOME_CSC file, in the CSC slot. This will completely erase your data on the tablet, which minimizes the likelihood of future problems. You will be erasing all of the /data partition later, so there is no point in saving your data now by using the HOME_CSC file.]​
c. Make sure that in the options, Auto Reboot is selected. Then click Start. The screen of the tablet should show a progress bar as your tablet is being restored to its original firmware.​
d. At this point, your tablet will reboot into the default recovery mode, with a full blue screen and an android figure with the spinning arrows. The tablet will then self reboot again (perhaps more than once). After a while, you will be greeted with the Welcome screen where you can select your language. Be patient.​
e. Power off the tablet using the power button​
4. FLASH TWRP
a. Enter Download mode (press and hold Home, Down Vol, and Power) until you see the Warning screen of the downloader mode. Press Vol up to continue​
b. (Re) Open up ODIN, confirm that ODIN can see your tablet,​
c. Important We do not want the tablet to automatically reboot after installing TWRP. If the tablet does reboot into Android before completing the steps in Section 4 and 5, there is a good chance the stock recovery will overwrite TWRP. So click the Options tab on the left and deselect Auto Reboot. After doing that, click the Log tab so you can monitor progress​
d. Click AP button on Odin. In popup, select twrp-[blah blah].img.tar (downloaded in step 1d), but make sure that the BL and CSC slots are unchecked, i.e. we will only be flashing an AP file this time. Then click Start. You will see the progress bar on your tablet. Watch the log window of Odin and wait for the message "<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)"​
5. ENTER TWRP AND CONFIGURE
a. At this point, from the last section, you should still be in Download mode on the tablet. It is important that, after flashing TWRP, to go straight to TWRP without letting the Android System reboot. To do this, Hold [Volume Down] + [Home] + [Power] to get out of Download mode and immediately swap to [Volume Up] (while still holding [Home] + [Power]) when the screen blanks. [credit: jcadduono]​
b. In a few secs, you will see the TWRP first screen, you can let go of all the buttons.​
c. If you don't see then TWRP boot splash try again from the start of 4. FLASH TWRP.​
d. Swipe to Allow Modifications. (For some reason, TWRP has some issues with the touchscreen for some tablets. If you experience this, expect to make several swipes or taps until it properly registers. You have succeeded when you see the classic 8-button main screen of TWRP.)​
e. Click Wipe then Format Data (do not just Wipe data), type yes and let it complete. Then click back until you get to the 8-button main screen of TWRP.​
f. Click the Mount button. Select Storage button, and confirm that the Internal Storage shows non-zero MB. If it is, you know that the /data partition is now mounted properly. However, since we put the needed install files on the microSD, go ahead and select Micro SD Card as our storage. Click Back until you are back at the 8-button main screen.​
g. Click the Install button, install the Magisk zip file you downloaded in step 1e and copied to your microSD. Once finished, click Back to get back to the install screen (do not reboot yet).​
h. Install the oreo encryption disabler zip file from step 1f. When it completes, you can press the Reboot System button and let your tablet reboot into Android. You can also disconnect the usb cable connecting the tablet from the computer. The tablet may reboot itself once or twice, let it do its thing, and eventually you will see the Samsung Welcome! Screen, where you can select your language.​
6. CONFIRM DATA ACCESS IN TWRP
a. Before going into configuring your tablet, go ahead and turn off the tablet and re-enter TWRP (Home, Vol up, Power).​
b. *Important* Since you will not be changing your system partition, this time, when you get to the "Keep System Read only?" screen, click the Keep Read Only button.​
c. In the 8-button screen of TWRP, click Mount, click Select Storage. Confirm that the Internal Storage is greater than zero MB. If it is, congratulations, you have TWRP installed with /data mounted.​
d. Reboot to System​
7. FUTURE USE OF TWRP
a. Unless you are planning to make changes to the System, continue to choose the Read Only System when you return to TWRP.​
B. [NOT YET TESTED]If you need to make changes to System, e.g. flash a new ROM, go back to Step 5 and install the ROM just before Step 5g​

8. Click the Thanks button if my guide helped you.

Last edited:

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Good guide. In 5, a, at least for the t-820 and if assume other variants, you can hold power, vol up, and home until it boots to recovery. You don't need to hold the keys to boot the bootloader and then quickly switch to the vol up. It's a little easier for me to do it that way.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Reactions: Brainfire2
Good guide and HNY!

7. FUTURE USE OF TWRP
B. [NOT YET TESTED]If you need to make changes to System, e.g. flash a new ROM, go back to Step 5 and install the ROM just before Step 5h

I would flash magisk *after* flashing a new ROM, i.e. install the ROM just before Step 5g.

Btw, I installed TWEAKED for T820 by @rorymc928 which comes already with encryption disabler.

sunluck8

Dec 4, 2014
I am new to rooting my Tab s3 so pardon me if any of my questions are redundant. I will be following the directions from post "Newbie-friendly: TWRP and Root for Samsung S3 Tablet". Can someone please confirm the following for me before I root -
1. I am running on the most recent firmware T820XXU2BRL1, do I need to complete process #3 REFLASH ORIGINAL FIRMWARE?
2. After I complete root process will my Tab s3 automatically be set to recognize SD Card as internal storage or will I need to complete another setting or process? This is my main reason to rooting.
3. Second reason is to remove bloatware. Does anyone know of a post advising which bloatware on Tab s3 to remove safely and which ones to leave alone?
4. After completing root process following directions from post "Newbie-friendly: TWRP and Root for Samsung S3 Tablet" has anyone experienced any Tab s3 functions or app not working properly? Is USB-OTG working?

cdeitrich00

Oct 10, 2017
Great post. Im having an issue. With my tab s3. Yesterday i was updating magisk manager and after i did it stopped charging. I thought my charger came unplugged but it didnt. Now the only way i can charge it is to put it in twrp and let it charge. But its unresponsive when its powered on and when its off it just loops the charging screen. But wont charge. I jave tried to revert back to a previous back up but had no luck. I was plannig on flashing stock firmware when i get back to my computer.. but any input would be greatly appreciated..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Great post. Im having an issue. With my tab s3. Yesterday i was updating magisk manager and after i did it stopped charging. I thought my charger came unplugged but it didnt. Now the only way i can charge it is to put it in twrp and let it charge. But its unresponsive when its powered on and when its off it just loops the charging screen. But wont charge. I jave tried to revert back to a previous back up but had no luck. I was plannig on flashing stock firmware when i get back to my computer.. but any input would be greatly appreciated..

I don't know why your tab won't charge. Updating magisk should be totally unrelated to charging. Did you have any magisk modules that would have modified charging parameters?

cdeitrich00

Oct 10, 2017
I don't know why your tab won't charge. Updating magisk should be totally unrelated to charging. Did you have any magisk modules that would have modified charging parameters?
I had the sony framework module installed for ps4 remote play. But that was it. I cant figure it out.

hipocrazy

Mar 13, 2008
Quick question. I'm already on the latest firmware, my bootloader is unlocked so can I just run Odin, flash twrp and then any pre-rooted Rom? Or do I need to follow all these steps? It's been awhile since I've flashed anything and just want to make its done properly. TIA

mantarkus

Oct 15, 2014
San Francisco, Ca.
On reboot I got: Verification Failed, Unable to restart your device. The Integrity verification has failed. You need to reset your device to factory default settings. This will erase all your data.

Now what?

UPDATE: Oh I see, I totally skipped e. "Click Wipe then Format Data". Now it's fixed and working properly. Now to remove some bloatware.

David C.

Last edited:

baudi

Jun 23, 2007
THANKS ! Works also for Android PIE

Hi,
thanks,
I did a clean install of Android Pie for my Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, SM-T825.
Altough not yet officially available for my country, I downloaded the version for the Netherlands (PHN-T825XXU3CSH9-20190909091851) from the SamFrew-site [https://samfrew.com/nl/download/Galaxy__Tab__S3__/evss/PHN/T825XXU3CSH9/T825PHN3CSH8/[/URL] . As one can anyway customize languages, etc., no problem.

Then I followed your guide step by step.
I added BusyBox, latest version from XDA developers []https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1929852 as last step, in 5. g

Altough written for OREO, all this steps work perfectly well on my Android PIE !
Including the use of the Ashxy's oreo encryption disabler of point 1.f
(I didn't find a similar disabler for Android Pie yet... Someone a better idea ?)

Rootchecker confirms that I have Root access and that BusyBox is indeed installed.

Thanks very much - great help !

baudi

Last edited:

klaberte

Jul 19, 2007
Google Pixel 5
Hi,
thanks,
Altough not yet officially available for my country, I downloaded the version for the Netherlands (PHN-T825XXU3CSH9-20190909091851) from the SamFrew-site [https://samfrew.com/nl/download/Galaxy__Tab__S3__/evss/PHN/T825XXU3CSH9/T825PHN3CSH8/[/URL] . As one can anyway customize languages, etc., no problem.

I added BusyBox, latest version from XDA developers []https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1929852 as last step, in 5. g

Altough written for OREO, all this steps work perfectly well on my Android PIE !
(I didn't find a similar disabler for Android Pie yet... Someone a better idea ?)

Rootchecker confirms that I have Root access and that BusyBox is indeed installed.

baudi

Thanks for the update! Just wondering, why did you add busybox and XDA developers at the end of step 5g? XDA developers could have been installed as a standard app once the tablet is up and running, no?

Why manually installing BusyBox at this point of the setup?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tested SM-T820, for Android O. It is reported that it works for Android P as well, with small modification (see below).

This post is designed to gather information found across this forum to give a step-by-step guide for obtaining a custom recovery TWRP and Root (via Magisk) for the Samsung S3 tablets running Android O. This process works if you are upgrading or staying with Oreo. [If you wish to run Android N, there is a slightly different process.] This process will wipe the contents of the tablet, so make backups as appropriate.

Credit to the software authors, original post creators (especially ashxy) and all those who contributed to the discussions to clarify all the issues. Most of the specifics below were hammered out in https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-s3/development/recovery-twrp-3-1-0-1-samsung-galaxy-t3581359.

WARNING Flashing a custom recovery to your device will trip the Knox warranty bit on your phone. Check with your mobile provider to see if they will still cover warranty on Knox bit triggered devices. If you understand this risk, continue on. You generally don't have to worry, as it's incredibly hard to brick a Samsung device, and physical damage warranties should be exempt from Knox triggering. [credit: jcadduono]

The below instructions are for Android O (Oreo). User BenG7 reports (I have not verified) that the same process, with slight modification, will work for Android P (Pie). See posts #38 and #39 for those modified instructions.

1. DOWNLOAD
    a. ODIN​
    https://samsungodin.com/ (I used 3.13.1)​
    b. Samsung USB Drivers​
    c. Original firmware​
    Search for SM-T820 and download latest version 8.X at http://updato.com/firmware-archive-select-model
    d. TWRP​
    At some point, it will likely find an official version at https://twrp.me/Devices/. For now, grab the latest beta version at https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-s3/development/recovery-twrp-3-1-0-1-samsung-galaxy-t3581359
    e. Magisk​
    f. Ashxy's oreo encryption disabler https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=890278863836288163

2. PREPERATION

a. While running your tablet in Android, go to Settings -> About device. Tap 7 times on Build number to enable Developer options. [credit: jcadduono]​
    b. Now go to Settings -> Developer options. You need to enable OEM unlock, otherwise you might end up with boot problems or be unable to flash later on. Do not ever turn off Developer Options or OEM unlock. Doing so will cause your device to refuse to boot and require a full factory restore. [credit: jcadduono]​
    c. Turn off your tablet.​
    d. Get a micro SD card​
    e. Copy Magisk and oreo encryption disabler onto microSD card​
    f. Install microSD card into Tablet​
    g. Install Samsung USB Drivers on Windows machine​
    h. Unzip ODIN (1a) and Original firmware (1c) on your Windows computer​
    i. While tablet is off, plug in usb cable between tablet and Windows computer​
    3. REFLASH ORIGINAL FIRMWARE (Optional if your tablet is already running Oreo)
    a. Enter Download mode, press and hold Home, Down Vol, and Power until you see the Warning screen of the downloader mode. Press Vol up to continue​
    b. Open up ODIN, confirm that ODIN can see your tablet. We will fill in three files for flashing. Click AP button on Odin. In popup, select AP_[blah blah].tar.md5 (whatever AP file you downloaded in step 1c). After selecting the file, Odin will check the signature of the file you downloaded and appear to freeze up. Let it finish, and it will report: <OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully.. <OSM> Leave CS.. In a similar way, fill in the BL and the CSC files. As these are much smaller, the signature checks will go much faster. [Use the CSC file, not the HOME_CSC file, in the CSC slot. This will completely erase your data on the tablet, which minimizes the likelihood of future problems. You will be erasing all of the /data partition later, so there is no point in saving your data now by using the HOME_CSC file.]​
    c. Make sure that in the options, Auto Reboot is selected. Then click Start. The screen of the tablet should show a progress bar as your tablet is being restored to its original firmware.​
    d. At this point, your tablet will reboot into the default recovery mode, with a full blue screen and an android figure with the spinning arrows. The tablet will then self reboot again (perhaps more than once). After a while, you will be greeted with the Welcome screen where you can select your language. Be patient.​
    e. Power off the tablet using the power button​
    4. FLASH TWRP
    a. Enter Download mode (press and hold Home, Down Vol, and Power) until you see the Warning screen of the downloader mode. Press Vol up to continue​
    b. (Re) Open up ODIN, confirm that ODIN can see your tablet,​
    c. Important We do not want the tablet to automatically reboot after installing TWRP. If the tablet does reboot into Android before completing the steps in Section 4 and 5, there is a good chance the stock recovery will overwrite TWRP. So click the Options tab on the left and deselect Auto Reboot. After doing that, click the Log tab so you can monitor progress​
    d. Click AP button on Odin. In popup, select twrp-[blah blah].img.tar (downloaded in step 1d), but make sure that the BL and CSC slots are unchecked, i.e. we will only be flashing an AP file this time. Then click Start. You will see the progress bar on your tablet. Watch the log window of Odin and wait for the message "<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)"​
    5. ENTER TWRP AND CONFIGURE
    a. At this point, from the last section, you should still be in Download mode on the tablet. It is important that, after flashing TWRP, to go straight to TWRP without letting the Android System reboot. To do this, Hold [Volume Down] + [Home] + [Power] to get out of Download mode and immediately swap to [Volume Up] (while still holding [Home] + [Power]) when the screen blanks. [credit: jcadduono]​
    b. In a few secs, you will see the TWRP first screen, you can let go of all the buttons.​
    c. If you don't see then TWRP boot splash try again from the start of 4. FLASH TWRP.​
    d. Swipe to Allow Modifications. (For some reason, TWRP has some issues with the touchscreen for some tablets. If you experience this, expect to make several swipes or taps until it properly registers. You have succeeded when you see the classic 8-button main screen of TWRP.)​
    e. Click Wipe then Format Data (do not just Wipe data), type yes and let it complete. Then click back until you get to the 8-button main screen of TWRP.​
    f. Click the Mount button. Select Storage button, and confirm that the Internal Storage shows non-zero MB. If it is, you know that the /data partition is now mounted properly. However, since we put the needed install files on the microSD, go ahead and select Micro SD Card as our storage. Click Back until you are back at the 8-button main screen.​
    g. Click the Install button, install the Magisk zip file you downloaded in step 1e and copied to your microSD. Once finished, click Back to get back to the install screen (do not reboot yet).​
    h. Install the oreo encryption disabler zip file from step 1f. When it completes, you can press the Reboot System button and let your tablet reboot into Android. You can also disconnect the usb cable connecting the tablet from the computer. The tablet may reboot itself once or twice, let it do its thing, and eventually you will see the Samsung Welcome! Screen, where you can select your language.​
    6. CONFIRM DATA ACCESS IN TWRP
    a. Before going into configuring your tablet, go ahead and turn off the tablet and re-enter TWRP (Home, Vol up, Power).​
    b. *Important* Since you will not be changing your system partition, this time, when you get to the "Keep System Read only?" screen, click the Keep Read Only button.​
    c. In the 8-button screen of TWRP, click Mount, click Select Storage. Confirm that the Internal Storage is greater than zero MB. If it is, congratulations, you have TWRP installed with /data mounted.​
    d. Reboot to System​
    7. FUTURE USE OF TWRP
    a. Unless you are planning to make changes to the System, continue to choose the Read Only System when you return to TWRP.​
    B. [NOT YET TESTED]If you need to make changes to System, e.g. flash a new ROM, go back to Step 5 and install the ROM just before Step 5g​

8. Click the Thanks button if my guide helped you.
    THANKS ! Works also for Android PIE

Hi,
    thanks,

baudi
    Good guide. In 5, a, at least for the t-820 and if assume other variants, you can hold power, vol up, and home until it boots to recovery. You don't need to hold the keys to boot the bootloader and then quickly switch to the vol up. It's a little easier for me to do it that way.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
    Hi,
    thanks,
    . . .

. . . Although written for OREO, all this steps work perfectly well on my Android PIE !

baudi

Great, thanks baudi. I was just contemplating doing the same with my SM-T820 wifi only. I was a bit concerned about whether the "Tabs3_oreo_forced+encryption_disabler.zip" would also work with Pie but I now feel confident to proceed .:good: :good: :good:
    I have that problem too. I was wondering at what step did you reboot the tablet to re-allow boot loader to be unlocked? Is it at 5.g that you reboot the tablet after flashing Magisk to make that change and then continue with 5.h?

I turned on usb debugging and internet after 3.d and after 5.h
    It's the only way my tablet will allow me to flash TWRP and then to not boot loop into the "unapproved ROM" type message.

I should add that some people mentioned that if you turn on the internet right away as part of a "new user" setup, the OEM unlocker option wont be available for 7 days or something after you do a fresh flash. The work around is not to log into the internet right away.
    First go through new user ser up and skip everything and then turn on developer options. This sets your "date" in the past. Then turn on your usb debugging while your in the settings. Then log into the internet this will set the date to current. The system detects the "change" in date from the default time/date to today's date greater than 7 days and the OEM unlocker is again available.
    Then continue with your next flashing process.