• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[News] Official LG Software support for V20 and G5 has ended

Search This thread

Redline

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 12, 2014
Victoria, Australia
twitch.tv
This is a sad day to be sure. This makes us now totally reliant on custom ROMs to receive updates. Stock users are left with Oreo 8.0 and nothing more.
May the V20 live on, better than ever before.
I welcome those of you looking to explore a better experience on your V20 to the ROMs, Kernels & Recoveries subforum, where you can learn all about maximising the capability of the V20.
Source: LG Security Bulletins/LG Mobile Security Maintenance Releases
Screenshot (shows no mention of the V20):
NwhulsE.jpg

Last edited:

Mysticblaze347

Jun 12, 2018
Well, at least now this V20 (Epyk beast of a phone) can be ripped apart and made even better if wanted with no worries of it being killed by an official update. Let the real fun now begin ;).

Redline

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 12, 2014
Victoria, Australia
twitch.tv
True, as long as we can get the 2nd screen working with custom roms.

It already does.
LineageOS 15.1 and ResurrectionRemix both have second-screen enabled builds available using a custom framework.
LineageOS 16.0, which is currently in beta but has downloads available, has the second-screen working natively, courtesy of Android 9's notch support.

Lebatman

May 20, 2012
Gainesville, FL
MY REACTION:

1. Honestly, I'm not all that pissed, after getting Oreo which makes my phone slightly faster and battery efficient (more often than not).

2. However LG promised 2 years of updates, which means that it should receive updates that were released by Google two years from its launch, i.e. Android Pie October 2018.

3. For now, as they are choosing not to support it any more, LG should just release cam, DAC drivers and second screen sources so that custom ROMs can pick up their slack.

cnjax

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
No surprise, never expected the v20 would officially get Pie. It only took them almost two years to release oreo. LG's support of a flagship device is pathetic. After my V20 bites the dust, will move back to Sammy or a Pixel

Sent from my LG-H910 using XDA Labs

Reactions: androiddiego

Excudent

Apr 30, 2014
Zakopane
A bit of a shame TBH. Had a little bit of hope that we would get Pie, but now its official: We are done. Sad that LG didnt use at least "leak" some of the code used in the second screen framework, they wont be needing it any more and it could probably help with second screen on LOS 15. Might as well wait for a stable LOS16, love the developers that are working on the V20. I just hope this phone wont be killed by the lack of software support...

One Twelve

Oct 28, 2013
Correct. I've been using cstark27's GCam mod on my V20 with LineageOS 15.1 and Gamma Kernel for a while now.

Is there any way to port the official camera to these custom ROMs ?

gcam has no manual controls anywhere as good as the stock camera and this includes video and recorded audio as well.

Maybe open camera but the LG interface is the best

Redline

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 12, 2014
Victoria, Australia
twitch.tv
Is there any way to port the official camera to these custom ROMs ?

gcam has no manual controls anywhere as good as the stock camera and this includes video and recorded audio as well.

Maybe open camera but the LG interface is the best

Nup. The stock LG Camera app relies on stock dependencies we don't have, sadly.
I agree it's the best Camera app, but I find GCam to be the best overall replacement from the alternatives I've tried.

harysviewty

Oct 19, 2016
MY REACTION:

1. Honestly, I'm not all that pissed, after getting Oreo which makes my phone slightly faster and battery efficient (more often than not).

2. However LG promised 2 years of updates, which means that it should receive updates that were released by Google two years from its launch, i.e. Android Pie October 2018.

3. For now, as they are choosing not to support it any more, LG should just release cam, DAC drivers and second screen sources so that custom ROMs can pick up their slack.
Two years updates means this is the end. No pie update, not even for the same old aging flagship like SS Galaxy note 7 (fan edition), Huawei mate 9, Xiaomi mi5s (released around the same time like v20). It's fine, in fact it's great we didn't need to wait for nougat update like the others since it came with nougat out of the box

dgattenb

Oct 14, 2007
wales
mine will be 2 years old this may .. so not so surprised in this day and age .. Ive seen phones now that are being released saying the guarantee 2 years of updates.. then it stops .. mine works stock rom etc.. i have google camera , sound is very good.. all fab !

goulash2011

Mar 8, 2011
^these new security updates were mentiond a month ago on here and no updates as of yet, shame they cannot give us specific dates or week of when these patches will happen.

Deadmeat03

Jun 3, 2018
Sydney
Correct. I've been using cstark27's GCam mod on my V20 with LineageOS 15.1 and Gamma Kernel for a while now.

Do you know any camera app that can take long exposure shots and save it in raw file. I keep on switching back to stock rom for this one feature. (I like taking pictures of stars:D) Also how good is your signal strength? I went on trip a few weeks ago towards Canberra and didnt have any signal for most of the time.

Redline

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 12, 2014
Victoria, Australia
twitch.tv
Do you know any camera app that can take long exposure shots and save it in raw file. I keep on switching back to stock rom for this one feature. (I like taking pictures of stars:D) Also how good is your signal strength? I went on trip a few weeks ago towards Canberra and didnt have any signal for most of the time.

Can't speak for the camera side of things sorry. It's probably the least-used aspect of my phone (though I've since moved to a V30+).
As for signal strength, try updating your modem/firmware from the latest pre-20xx KDZ using KDZ Writer in its thread if you have an old version (or are still using the modem from the v10c-TWN KDZ for example, since that was the one to use to root the H990/DS).
Basically you download the latest KDZ for the Aus region , copy it to your SD Card on your phone and then run the commands on your PC via adb. Searching the thread should get you going in the right direction with things.
IIRC (all the commands are in the OP of the KDZWriter thread) you want -m to update the modem. You can't use 20xx+ (Oreo) version KDZs last I checked because it crashes things on Lineage.

vudude

Jul 6, 2013
Hello V20 users had mine (refurbished) for about 8 months and pretty happy with it. Of course all the phone mfg. want you to freak out over this news and spend another $800 every 2 years... thats not how I roll! I root/ROM all my phones and they all boot, run, & naviagte quicker afterwards, plus the latest updates. I look forward to installing a ROM on this phone too.

Top Liked Posts