(News) OMAP R.I.P !!

Search This thread

miketoasty

Sep 13, 2010
Very interesting, I wander if Google will go with the Tegra chip (Same chip used in the Nexus 7) for their upcoming Nexus phone, and if this will effect the release date of the next Nexus phone.

jordanishere

Sep 13, 2011
Hmm. Ti was very friendly to the open source community. Qualcomm has their own drivers and is somewhat anti open source. The more alternatives to qualcomm chips the better.

MarcMaiden

Sep 17, 2010
Fremont, CA
Google showed us how great these processors are! They were the underdog of the mobile space ( and probably why we can get unlocked Nexus for $350). It was great at resource management, too - although it's hard to tell with LTE.

Reactions: emd2009

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
Sigh. People should read. Omap is going away for tablets and smartphones. TI doesnt have anything for radios thus their chips cost more to pair with a modem and use more battery going that route.

On another note if TI drops smartphone and tablet SOC's who else uses imagination technologies GPU's. Very much looking forward to Rogue.

"You're doing it wrong. Again. Lol." -- Apple

Jasonhunterx

Feb 17, 2011
Hartford
This sucks next nexus should have Exynos with A15 instead of tegra 3 or S4 Architecture that would be a beast and it would have great battery life

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

qwer23

Jan 6, 2010
Realm of Württemberg
Although this is really sad, you guys should relax a little, this isn't the sudden deathblow for OMAP SoCs. TI didn't actually even say that it won't build SoCs anymore, it talked about "shifting its focus", thus reducing resources that go into chip development (Quote from article: "Anyway, TI will continue to support its current clients, but will significantly reduce efforts on developing new OMAP chipsets"). I agree this could mean the end of open source mobile chips from TI in the long term (technology is by all means a fast moving business), but right now it's more of a "slowing down". I just expect less new OMAP models in the next years.

And think about it, OMAP5 (5430/5432) development did progress way too far to reduce resources just now, I think this'll rather affect the OMAP5's successor. I'm absolutely sure we'll see the OMAP5 monsters in upcoming devices. TI spent too much money on that SoC to not release it now.

So there's still a lot of hope for the upcoming Nexus to have a open source SoC! ;)

This sucks next nexus should have Exynos with A15 instead of tegra 3 or S4 Architecture that would be a beast and it would have great battery life

Why no S4 architecture? If it is a S4 Pro of course :) Did you see those benchmarks? They crush everything on the market and will also stay very competitive in the next time.
http://blog.gsmarena.com/lg-optimus-g-benchmarks-arrive-make-quad-core-competitions-blush/
http://blog.gsmarena.com/lg-optimus-gs-adreno-320-gpu-benchmarked-rivals-get-served/

Notice that Nenamark 2 score:
The 60fps result at NenaMark 2 might suggest that there’s not much difference between the Optimus G and other quad-cores, but there’s actually more to that score. NenaMark 2 renders on-screen, which means that 60.0 fps is the highest possible result that a smartphone can get.
So the fact that the LG Optimus G got a perfect score suggests that it has more in reserve than its rivals – it was able to maintain the maximum framerate through the most intensive parts of the test, whereas others failed to do so.
We'll have to see about battery life though, but a 28nm chip with integrated 4G radio should do very well there as well.

Last edited:

dandroid13

Dec 19, 2010
Porto Alegre
He never said he hates it he just said that its not being properly supported and that he will stick with exynos 4 galaxy S2

He does hate, I have a SGS2 and he always blamed Sammy and all that crap, some users used to call him the "angry german boy". The true is that CM9 never was fully functional in the Exynos version...

qwer23

Jan 6, 2010
Realm of Württemberg

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
I'm not really a fan of the Tegra chips, especially with NVidia's open source support being so awful.

Maybe Google will create their own super-awesome-Android-optimized chip? Maybe? We can dream..

But surely in the future some manufacturer will come out of the works with chips to match the OMAP's.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

GPhoenix

May 10, 2010
Well at least they are exploring and expanding their R&D into other industries or what not. Good business move if they see their market share diminishing and looking to innovate in other areas. Thanks for sharing the story with us.

godofwar424

Oct 17, 2010
London
www.facebook.com
Sigh. People should read. Omap is going away for tablets and smartphones. TI doesnt have anything for radios thus their chips cost more to pair with a modem and use more battery going that route.

On another note if TI drops smartphone and tablet SOC's who else uses imagination technologies GPU's. Very much looking forward to Rogue.

"You're doing it wrong. Again. Lol." -- Apple

Well Intel's latest Atom uses the PowerVR SGX545, next nexus might have an Intel processor :p

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone