• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Next Evolution of Homescreen. Chameleon ..it'll eat HUBS Alive!

Search This thread

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
this is the next evolution in homescreen tech. This is the Chameleon, a UX overlay. Created by the same people who made the Playbook overlay screen. Playbook was a flop but its screen overlay was very impressive and praised alot because it was one of the most interesting features of that device. well now this is coming to Android and might be integrated into future devices also. can't wait to get this app. very clean and slick looking. plus not a pain to set up like Hubs. IMO this is like Hubs taken to the next level. even has face unlock for having different profiles. just like a PC. so your kid or someone else could open it up and have their own profile and be limited to what kinds of things they can access based on what you allow. Looks very promising and coming very soon.
www.androidpit.com/en/android/blog/403395/android-homescreen

CHECK OUT THEIR WEBSITE. GOES INTO DETAIL ABOUT THIS AND HAS GREAT PIX ON IT!
HTTP://chameleon.teknision.com

UPDATE
The creators are trying to get this project off the ground. Deal with manufacturers may not be going as they liked. So they need to raise money to further fund the project. Its for a good cause. details are in the link.
www.kickstarter.com/projects/gaborvida/chameleon-a-better-home-screen-for-your-android-ta

Update #4: The Chameleon Lab

http://chameleon.teknision.com/thelab/
Making sure Chameleon performs well across all Android Tablets can be a challenge, but it is one of our primary goals. So we are taking some steps to help us make the Chameleon experience as close as possible across all Android Tablets.

The Chameleon Labs page will be a site where we post tools to help us collect valuable data, as well as broadly testing specific things we feel could be a concern. We will also post some of the data that we find to keep you all informed.

Today we are introducing a tool to help us gather information about the type of tablet hardware that you guys are running.

Chameleon Hardware Info

In order for us to get a complete picture of the tablet landscape that we are targeting, we are looking for your help. We have created a simple app that gathers the specs of your Android Tablet, and the version of Android itself.

Head over to The Chameleon Labs page to find out more and download the TabletInfo APK.

Note: If you get the error 'Can't open file' you will have to use a file browser. Go to the downloads folder and install the app from there. This is an issue with download managers not being able to open the apk file.

Last edited:

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
+1..Hubs looks too complicated and/or time consuming to set up, just watching the youtube video instructions made me quit. I would gladly pay for something like this in a heartbeat. I can imagine an Ipad owner sitting across from me watching this in action while they just scroll through enlarged icons. Android for life!! :p :p

OstiasMoscas

Mar 3, 2012
Bergen
Wow that is truly amazing! Are you sure this'll be released on the market, instead of being pre-installed on some devices only? I'd easily be willing to shell out around 10-20 bucks for the Chameleon.

stoehner

Aug 28, 2011
Arlington
fanboys

+1..Hubs looks too complicated and/or time consuming to set up, just watching the youtube video instructions made me quit. I would gladly pay for something like this in a heartbeat. I can imagine an Ipad owner sitting across from me watching this in action while they just scroll through enlarged icons. Android for life!! :p :p

lol..i just emailed this too a fanboy...haha

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

this is the next evolution in homescreen tech. This is the Chameleon, a UX overlay. Created by the same people who made the Playbook overlay screen. Playbook was a flop but its screen overlay was very impressive and praised alot because it was one of the most interesting features of that device. well now this is coming to Android and might be integrated into future devices also. can't wait to get this app. very clean and slick looking. plus not a pain to set up like Hubs. IMO this is like Hubs taken to the next level. even has face unlock for having different profiles. just like a PC. so your kid or someone else could open it up and have their own profile and be limited to what kinds of things they can access based on what you allow. Looks very promising and coming very soon.

Looks kinda similar too windows 8, but without the gay metro UI

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Wow that is truly amazing! Are you sure this'll be released on the market, instead of being pre-installed on some devices only? I'd easily be willing to shell out around 10-20 bucks for the Chameleon.

I really hope it will be. but if this is as good as they describe in the article, then this might go deeper than what an app could provide. might be something that has to be integrated into the framework. Regardless if its integrated into future Android devices, our great developers here should be able to easily integrate it into their roms. or maybe make the Chameleon overlay a flash able zip or something. I really hoping for a simple app install though..lol. we will have to see how this turns out. this could be a game changer for android. I love the hubs look but way too much involved to set it up. this is something that would be implemented easily and not need as much time setting it up. plus it would be slick moving and look better.

this kind of reminds me of that cornerstone multitasking setup. but integrated as a homesceen UI.

hbk19

May 24, 2010
It looks amazing, but it doesn't seem to have the same range of customizations as we do now. If we could perhaps trigger the overlay with a Bezel gesture (top down like on the Playbook), then yes, I would be all over that.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

pokku

Feb 21, 2011
Waiting for this so much! I'm in a homescreen dilemma; can't find anything pretty but this. Hopefully they release it to everyone, not just on one device!

Knu2Lav

Mar 5, 2010
Now THIS is what I'm waiting for. All launchers kinda look all the same, just different widgets.. This is something completely different, and I can't wait to try it out. Will gladly pay good money for this, hope i comes with instructions, or as a stand alone app/launcher..

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
chameleon.teknision.com/ Here is the link to their website if anyone is interested.

and sorry, I don't have link permission yet

I updated OP with link to their website. website has great looking slides n pix on it. plus goes into great detail what this is all about. checking out the site has made me even more anxious for this. this Chameleon overlay kicks A$$! lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

CHECK OUT THEIR WEBSITE. GOES INTO DETAIL ABOUT THIS AND HAS GREAT PIX ON IT!
    HTTP://chameleon.teknision.com

UPDATE
    The creators are trying to get this project off the ground. Deal with manufacturers may not be going as they liked. So they need to raise money to further fund the project. Its for a good cause. details are in the link.
    www.kickstarter.com/projects/gaborvida/chameleon-a-better-home-screen-for-your-android-ta

Update #4: The Chameleon Lab

http://chameleon.teknision.com/thelab/
    Making sure Chameleon performs well across all Android Tablets can be a challenge, but it is one of our primary goals. So we are taking some steps to help us make the Chameleon experience as close as possible across all Android Tablets.

The Chameleon Labs page will be a site where we post tools to help us collect valuable data, as well as broadly testing specific things we feel could be a concern. We will also post some of the data that we find to keep you all informed.

Today we are introducing a tool to help us gather information about the type of tablet hardware that you guys are running.

Chameleon Hardware Info

In order for us to get a complete picture of the tablet landscape that we are targeting, we are looking for your help. We have created a simple app that gathers the specs of your Android Tablet, and the version of Android itself.

Head over to The Chameleon Labs page to find out more and download the TabletInfo APK.

Note: If you get the error 'Can't open file' you will have to use a file browser. Go to the downloads folder and install the app from there. This is an issue with download managers not being able to open the apk file.
    OT, but Kickstarter Project OUYA is burning through pledges and seems very promising. Its a Tegra 3 based Jelly Bean "console" TV platform. It has doubled its near $1 million initial goal during the second day.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Penny Arcade did an interesting article on it. I'd hold out until after that thing comes to market.
    so maybe, demandrin could add the kickstart link to his first post? :D
    This looks really promising! As always, thanks for your informative post.