Nexus 10 Ubuntu

Search This thread

Qaz_92

Aug 5, 2012
London
Hey guys,

I was just wondering, if I were to install ubuntu (or any other form of linux for that matter) to a flash drive and connect it via the OTG usb, could I use some kind of app to open it and boot into Ubuntu?

shimp208

Recognized Contributor
Jan 25, 2011
Boston
Hey guys,

I was just wondering, if I were to install ubuntu (or any other form of linux for that matter) to a flash drive and connect it via the OTG usb, could I use some kind of app to open it and boot into Ubuntu?

Sadly it's not possible to simply put Ubuntu on a flash drive and then load it onto the Nexus 10 from the flash drive using an OTG usb cable, due to the differences between how loading operating systems work on a desktop and embedded/mobile devices. Also any desktop versions of Ubuntu are meant for the x86/x64 CPU architecture while the SoC (System on a Chip) the Nexus 10 uses rellies on the ARM architecture instruction set. Canonical developed Ubuntu for the Nexus 7 but currently has no plans to release a version for the Nexus 10 due to the architecture differences between the Tegra 3 processor in the Nexus 7 and the Exynos 5250.

Reactions: Qaz_92

Jotokun

Apr 23, 2011
Sadly it's not possible to simply put Ubuntu on a flash drive and then load it onto the Nexus 10 from the flash drive using an OTG usb cable, due to the differences between how loading operating systems work on a desktop and embedded/mobile devices. Also any desktop versions of Ubuntu are meant for the x86/x64 CPU architecture while the SoC (System on a Chip) the Nexus 10 uses rellies on the ARM architecture instruction set. Canonical developed Ubuntu for the Nexus 7 but currently has no plans to release a version for the Nexus 10 due to the architecture differences between the Tegra 3 processor in the Nexus 7 and the Exynos 5250.

Actually... not entirely true. If the drive uses a filesystem that Android recognizes, you use the ARM version of Ubuntu and you have both root and busybox on your tablet, you might be able to chroot into it. To get the UI working, you'd need a VNC server on the Ubuntu side and a VNC client on the Android side. At that point though, I'd say why bother when you can just run it from an image on your internal storage? Also know that this method is not going to be very fast and will not be very battery efficient due to the VNC stuff.

Reactions: Qaz_92

robotsapiens

Jul 6, 2011
I was here thinking to myself: Samsung Chromebook has a 1.7Ghz Exynos 5 ARM processor and comes with Chrome OS as default. There is an article in Phoronix comparing the performance of this processor with Lubuntu on it against an Atom D525, and Exynos beats Atom in performance.

Considering that Samsung Chromebook is made by the same makers of Samsung Nexus 10, I believe that at some level the drivers could be the same (some level!). Could the person that ported Lubuntu to Chromebook do the same with Nexus 10 (same processor, close drivers)?

shimp208

Recognized Contributor
Jan 25, 2011
Boston
I was here thinking to myself: Samsung Chromebook has a 1.7Ghz Exynos 5 ARM processor and comes with Chrome OS as default. There is an article in Phoronix comparing the performance of this processor with Lubuntu on it against an Atom D525, and Exynos beats Atom in performance.

Considering that Samsung Chromebook is made by the same makers of Samsung Nexus 10, I believe that at some level the drivers could be the same (some level!). Could the person that ported Lubuntu to Chromebook do the same with Nexus 10 (same processor, close drivers)?

Yes, you could in theory port Chrome OS or Lubuntu to the Nexus 10 using the Samsung Chromebook as a starting point however you would still have to tweak many of the drivers and optimize it for the configuration of a tablet (Touchscreen, button-less except for volume rocker and power button.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

Actually... not entirely true. If the drive uses a filesystem that Android recognizes, you use the ARM version of Ubuntu and you have both root and busybox on your tablet, you might be able to chroot into it. To get the UI working, you'd need a VNC server on the Ubuntu side and a VNC client on the Android side. At that point though, I'd say why bother when you can just run it from an image on your internal storage? Also know that this method is not going to be very fast and will not be very battery efficient due to the VNC stuff.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone