Nexus 4 vs Iphone 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

bermudaviper

Nov 18, 2012
I've owned every iPhone since the original up to the iPhone 4, I chose not to upgrade to the 4S in wait for the 5. I thought the 5 would be groundbreaking but it left me feeling rather underwhelmed. This is why I've now ordered a N4.

rault18

Sep 11, 2008
Sincity
I saw an unlocked iPhone 5 at amazon for $1100.... That is just insane unless it communicates with the starship enterprise.

sent via xda premium with nexus 7 while waiting for my back ordered Nexus 4!

That's how much the n4 is going due its sold out status. I've seen some ebayers raping people like crazy

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

cbutters

Jan 22, 2007
Salt Lake City
IPhone 5 loses automatically because it has a 3.5 inch screen with an extra row masquerading as a 4 inch screen. Sure, it has the measurement technically but effectively it is a 3.5 inch screen that is squished into an ugly (in proportions not quality) 4 inch screen that is not wide enough for its 16:9 aspect ratio. It's actually quite disgusting and I am surprised more people haven't criticized Apple for it.

QFT

I had an iphone5 for a few days, and I seriously wanted to puke from the length of the device, it isn't any better than the 3.5 inch on the iphone4, in fact the majority of apps hadn't even been updated so they just letterboxed down to 3.5 inches and you were sitting there like a tool with a way too long iphone that was long to be long. instead of extending the screen to take up more of the device, they just stretched the device, and it looks ridiculous in my opinion, I couldn't stomach it and sold it.

I adore the nexus 4 and I'm using it as my main device. I have an iPhone too but I'm purely waiting for a jailbreak and that's when the iPhone can actually hold my attention..

At the moment I'm just bored of squares, not even got any contact photos in the messaging app.. sigh

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

m3lover1

Jun 12, 2010
California
If youve been using android a lot the past few years and wanna try something else, I think the iphone 5 is a great option (even though there's no widgets, no real customization blah blah blah..... ) cause it works great and its pretty fast. But for people who have used iphones before, once the build quality excitement settles down, the iphone 5 is still just an iphone at the end of the day. That's how I felt using it for a few days.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Completely agree. I've had iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS, then got bored and switched to Android. Been through 4 Android phones in the past two years, and wanted to switch back to Apple to have something different. After using iPhone 5 for a month and a half, found out how much I miss Android and the customization possibilities. Don't get me wrong, I still think the iPhone is a great phone, but for me the software is very boring and antiquated. I knew that when I switched to iPhone 5, but I thought I could get over it just because I haven't used iOS for couple years. And like you said, I was in love with it first couple weeks, more so because of the hardware design (I am still heads and toes in love with the design), after that settled down it's still bottom line an iPhone.

Long story short, super excited to be able to order N4 yesterday with 1-2 week shipping window :D

paper_kiwi

Jul 31, 2010
So, you own 5 iPods, iPad 2, iMac and Macbook, but your signature says:

This doesn't compute.

What doesn't compute? My signature just lists my past phones.

My iPods: 3rd gen classic, 1 original iPod touch, 1 2gen iPod touch, 1 iPod nano (not site which gen, the rounded square one), square nano (5th gen I think) that I use as a watch.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

laminarpanda

Nov 15, 2012
My 2 cents...

So, after over 5 years with iOS... I decided to give Android a go...
I've had my N4 for 10 days, I love it, but I'm going back to my iPhone 5... for a few simple reasons...
Battery life (e.g. 1 hour of running with Nike running app + Spotify streaming, on my iPhone I go from 100 to 80, on the N4 to about 60, screen off of course.)
Siri, I know lots of people hate it, but I got used to make calls, send text and mainly creating reminders while I have my earphones on. Maluuba on Android is almost as good, but I need to take the phone out of my pocket, unlock, etc...
My earphones' controls don't work with the N4 (try many apps to try to make them work, none worked) I have Etymotic hf3 and Martin Logan Mikros 70, so I don't really want to invest more money in Android compatible earphones.
I have an iPad and Macs, all set up with iCloud and iTunes Match... even if there are equivalents I'm not ready to invest hours of my life to make something that is easy become complicate. Google Music would take about 4 weeks to upload my music, so it's not an option
Apps and games... over 5 years I have invested quite some money in apps, and some great apps I have are not on Android
Free apps, like Spotify, Rdio and even Facebook look better on the iPhone.

I'm going to miss customising my phone and some of the unique features of my N4 (Im still keeping it thought, since I got a free TV with it ;) ). And I'll probably be going back and forth between the 2 devices... we'll see what happens.

Again, this is just me trying to share my 2 cents, I just wanted to share my honest opinion from my OWN experience on this topic.
Hope you find it useful.

biffsmash

Nov 19, 2007
I personally would never use iphone. I refuse to be drawn into itunes, used it once, never again, seriously it's awful. I hate apple macs, and ios is so basic I just can't use it.
I get that people need simple phones and iphones suit them, they want to use a standalone app to do something, they click it, tada, but thats not me.
All these apps, "hey get the nat west app to manage your account apple fan!" i'm like "no thanks i'll just use the website on my browser and sign in!"
As for apps looking better on iphone, thats a point of view, and personally I think they look like a drawing game on a toy with those tiny screens and stupid blue theme that is on every single iphone there is.
Finally people are waking up and realising that Android is better than ios and every single iphone person I know of can't move to android for one reason......

They have spent too much money and invested too much time.... LOCKED INTO ITUNES! Icloud.. isync, islave app whataver you want to call it.

If I had to sync all my stuff i'd of gone insane twenty years ago.... whats wrong with drag and drop people??

Anyway with that out of the way, apples are usefeul if you want a simple experience but anything else, android all the way.

p.s. to anyone including the guy above i'm not having a go just my own personal opinion of apple stuff and their incredible marketting ability.

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
An advantage that iPhone has over any other smart phones is how easy it is to get it repaired. Not only you can go easily to an apple store and get it fixed for software related issues, even hardware sometimes, but since its just one phone, there are tons of people online or on craigslist offering iphone repairs for the LCD, home button, glass back ( 4s for example). Its much harder with android since there are millions of devices out there and people don't focus on a droid DNA repair or a RAZR maxx HD repair. You're pretty much on your on for that.

Sent from my Mako Nexus quattro using Tapatalk!

Last edited:

i9100g user

Dec 18, 2011
I think android is complicated for some people because it has more features and could take long for some to learn android fully while you can use iPhone with ease and still call it a smartphone and yea you can boast about it too :)

sent from my gs3 GT i 9300
----------------------------------

Last edited:

germanj

Jul 27, 2012
Obviously both operating systems have a lot going for them. I'll try to keep it short. Android was well behind iOS for a long period of time (ie the first gingerbread versions were awful.. and looked awful). It was missing a lot of core features and most phones were laggy and plasticky compared to an all around good and simple device called iPhone. The iPhone was also the first commercial success of a smartphone and Apple took advantage and lead. Until today, I still believe a lot of their users are still with them due to that inertia, they've been with Apple since day one and still have the common misconception of a gingerbread android.

But tables have turned and Android has gone a long way. Especially in design, IMO. Its more attractive now and significantly more powerful. And those who say Android is meant for customization, I think they are wrong. I think it's just another mobile OS such as Apple's. The difference is that the later is so locked down its ridiculous. It doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense that you cant make a ringtone out of a song you might have. Or download files from safari, only able to sync not to one computer but to one iTunes account in one computer. Its not that android is MEANT to be customized. That's the good thing: he options are there and you are free to use them, or not.

I could go on but my point is that android has evolved a lot and iOS is still as locked as ever. This obviously benefits Google. But one must admit apple are good at one thing and that's user experience. Their hardware is the best bar none in the whole market. The problem is their software, but turns out it also works for a lot of people, being so simple basic and intuitive. However, Android offers that and a lot more that you may or may not use... but at least you know its there if you ever need it (file system cones to mind).

This is my shortest version. I was an iOS user with the iPhone 4. I felt extremely locked down and it annoyed the heck out of me. O couldn't even get it unlocked for when I moved. Using special tricks to work around their limitations etc it was just too much. I am a happy android user now. Heck my computer died and I used my phone as one for five whole days, downloading torrents and such. This I would never dream of using an iPhone.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

osugsxr

Jun 9, 2010
Agree with majority of the post here about IOS & Android. I'm stuck between the two, I really like the simple use of IOS, I personally have not much reason to customize the phone and enjoy using it. Android....well thats another story, enjoy custom roms, constant flashing etc. :laugh: Its fun but its addicting and I'm trying to quit.

I really like my current iphone 4s, excellent feel to with the mophie case. Yes the screen is a tad small, but its simple and easy. I would like to jailbreak it for some free ringtones and alittle customization as well. Overall its a great device, Iphone 5 I hear nothing but good things plus few friends have it and enjoy it. Really I am content with IOS although being on 2g/edge speeds is HORRIBLE. I reduced my data usage on my wireless carrier from 5gb to 2gb saving $30 month :good:

Nexus 4: 2nd day having it, so far so good, I was planning on selling it and still want to BUT I want to keep it. Heck I even left the stickers on it since I was unsure what I wanted to do. I have a seller wanting to buy it today, just selling it at cost practically. Feel of it is growing on me and the larger screen is nice. Phone is smooth and works, there isn't really a need to flash a different rom BUT I want to though :eek:

Possibly going to jump to the iphone 5, sell both the iphone 4s & nexus 4 today.

THE_KINGDOM

Sep 20, 2011
OnePlus 11
iOS = simplicity and boring.
Android = feature rich and versatile

Anybody who prefers iOS simply doesn't have the patience to learn a few extra useful features and menus that Android has.
I could say: some people pick up a television remote and have problems, some people walk into a new home theater system they've never used before, and control it like it's their own. why?

iOS = for grandparents and children
Android = for up-to-date technology driven users, with a desire to go above and beyond

Android gives you options, not all of which you HAVE to use, but the options are there nonetheless.
With Android it's not just about customization, it's about control of features, and of the OS (privacy etc). Somewhat it's like Android is similar to a computer operating system being very feature rich and iOS really like a basic standard mobile platform.
Even the applications that you get with Android are far more superior: like Google Navigation, simple Google Maps, Gmail is better now on Android (wasn't prior). YouTube app better. Even though these apps are all made by Google, they are some of the most commonly used apps on mobile platforms.
Texting options are far more advanced on Android, with regular typing, swipe typing, and continuous voice dictation which beats the **** out of Apple's voice dictation. In fact about 3/4 of this entire post are voice dictated. Try doing that on the iPhone lol
I had my apple fan-boy buddy show me voice dictation on iPhone 5. I burst out laughing, showed him Android's continuous voice dictation and he went all quiet.. I wonder why..

With Android you also get a larger selection of devices (options). But I wouldn't touch anything but a Nexus device. For many many reasons, which I won't get into now.
But again options.

Android is made with the user in mind, to suit the users' preferences, giving the user control, not the manufacturer/company control over the user (apple)

Only thing iPhone may have better is battery life, but considering iOS does practically a quarter of what Android OS does, that's hardly surprising.

I'll be willing to bet if Google/Android gets Nexus devices into the hands of more users, Android will blow up more than it already has. That's why it's crucial that they produce more Nexus 4's and stop this out of stock nonsense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

Some of you know me from the s2, galaxy nexus, s3 ,etc review area. I usually post videos of case reviews and stuff and well just bought this new phone

So I shot 2 videos (because of the lack of cases yet)

My first one is this one.. The iphone 5 vs the NExus 4 .

http://youtu.be/E22FEVrtw58

it was obvious who was gonna win as im a google fan, but it was fun to play with both and been able to compare them

Enjoy!
    I'd take the iPhone over this phone anyday. LG completely ****ed up the touchscreen. It is the least responsive touchscreen I have ever used since resistive touchscreens. I'm not even talking about sensitivity. It literally fails at sending input data real time to the phone. Go on display tester and move your finger even a little bit quickly, and you will see that it doesnt keep up. Sad. **** you, LG.

Looking forward to the next Nexus. It better be Sony, or I'm leaving Android. **** this compromising ****.

Should i remind you that both phones got lg's screen? If LG is completely ****ed up with screen as you say,sorry but that goes same for iphone 5.
    iPhone 5. Nexus 4 does not have 4G LTE. The iPhone is also made of a strong, durable aluminum so it could last longer than the Nexus 4.

Then why are you in this forum?

Your argument is one-sided and ignores that the Nexus has benefits over the iPhone too. They are both great devices that excel in their own regard.
    I completely disagree with the troll flaming of the iPhone 5. It is an excellent device, especially for not so tech savvy people who need an easy ui experience. IOS has the advantage in ease of use and customer support. Android takes the cake in customization, versatility, and frequent updating. Both are excellent operating systems but you have to admit android has a much larger and more complicated learning curve than iOS. I'm a die hard android fan, ever since the g1, but I still see the advantages of an iPhone.

Those of you bringing intelligent arguments and support for or against either device, thank you, those bringing uninformed spewed criticisms, take it somewhere else, stop cluttering an attempt at an intelligent discussion/debate.

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Additionally, about the touch screen, I have to argue that it is an excellent panel. It supports more multi touch points than you will ever need (it recognized and tracked all 10 of my fingers simultaneously in real time and without lag) and is incredibly responsive. Whatever lag you speak of must be a defect with an individual device. Even if there were a few milliseconds of lag, how often do you really notice that in every day usage?

iOS = simplicity and boring.
    Android = feature rich and versatile

Anybody who prefers iOS simply doesn't have the patience to learn a few extra useful features and menus that Android has.
    I could say: some people pick up a television remote and have problems, some people walk into a new home theater system they've never used before, and control it like it's their own. why?

iOS = for grandparents and children
    Android = for up-to-date technology driven users, with a desire to go above and beyond

Android gives you options, not all of which you HAVE to use, but the options are there nonetheless.
    With Android it's not just about customization, it's about control of features, and of the OS (privacy etc). Somewhat it's like Android is similar to a computer operating system being very feature rich and iOS really like a basic standard mobile platform.
    Even the applications that you get with Android are far more superior: like Google Navigation, simple Google Maps, Gmail is better now on Android (wasn't prior). YouTube app better. Even though these apps are all made by Google, they are some of the most commonly used apps on mobile platforms.
    Texting options are far more advanced on Android, with regular typing, swipe typing, and continuous voice dictation which beats the **** out of Apple's voice dictation. In fact about 3/4 of this entire post are voice dictated. Try doing that on the iPhone lol
    I had my apple fan-boy buddy show me voice dictation on iPhone 5. I burst out laughing, showed him Android's continuous voice dictation and he went all quiet.. I wonder why..

With Android you also get a larger selection of devices (options). But I wouldn't touch anything but a Nexus device. For many many reasons, which I won't get into now.
    But again options.

Android is made with the user in mind, to suit the users' preferences, giving the user control, not the manufacturer/company control over the user (apple)

Only thing iPhone may have better is battery life, but considering iOS does practically a quarter of what Android OS does, that's hardly surprising.

I'll be willing to bet if Google/Android gets Nexus devices into the hands of more users, Android will blow up more than it already has. That's why it's crucial that they produce more Nexus 4's and stop this out of stock nonsense.