Nexus 5 / Android 4.4 Stock Email App - Sync issues

Search This thread

truedni

Nov 4, 2013
Hi all,

Moved from a Galaxy S3 to a Nexus 5.

Everything is working great, with the exception of the stock Email app syncing with an Exchange account.

I connect to a zimbra server using the same settings as on he gs3. I connect fine and get all my email loaded. The issue is that syncing of the inbox doesn't work. Sub folders seem to but the main inbox will not even manually sync.

I have cleared the caches, removed and re-added the mail account and I still have the same issue. I can send emails fine. I have also factory reset the phone and still have same prob. Syncing is ticked in every possible setting and my gmail app push syncs fine.

Any ideas? I am at a loss and need my company email as I work on call in the evening and weekends.

Thanks!! :)

felixjai

Jan 22, 2008
Hong Kong
I have the same problem with my N5. My exchange email account would start working again if I force it to re-verify the account settings. But after a while, it would stop working.

I've been using Nexus phones since Nexus One. This is the first time we see an update on the default email app. But it doesn't look like Google has done a great job verifying/QA their app before releasing it to public.

I'm thinking to open up an official support case with Google support if you haven't already done so.

felixjai

Jan 22, 2008
Hong Kong
Actually, haven't you tried changing the Security Type in Incoming settings from "SSL/TLS" to "SSL/TLS (Accept all certificates)"? I just changed it on mine, and waiting to see if it helps resolve the issue.

burnstine

Oct 9, 2013
Breitenfurt
I'm having issues with stock email client and company exchange, too.

When set to push, as i usually did on the n4, it won't let the n5 properly go to sleep, but phone keeps awake, and consuming quite a lot of battery overnight.

Sync also has stopped yesterday, but started again 2 hours later, therefore I'm not sure wether it's the n5's or exchange's fault.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383634678378.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383634678378.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 2,071
  • uploadfromtaptalk1383634696757.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383634696757.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,916
Last edited:

truedni

Nov 4, 2013
Thanks for your replies. Yes I have tried this, I have tried every security method (except none, which defaults to SSL/TLS anyways).

I notice if I look under Accounts > Corporate and then my Exchange account, the sync / cancel sync animation is on a constant loop. My S3, for example, just sais 'Last sync at xxxx'. etc. Do you guys notice this also?

Something deff not right with this. How do you log a ticket with Google support? I have tried with Google Groups but getting no response.

Thanks.

Last edited:

phillyndon

Nov 5, 2013
Same problem here. Refreshes fine when I manually sync but push is not working. Was working fine on my Galaxy Nexus/Jellybean

n7of9

Mar 19, 2011
Sydney
I'm not experiencing any of these issues, my sync is working fine, as is the app and battery usage

simon12

May 14, 2010
I have had to move off the stock app and onto K9. My problem is that the stock app is deleting emails from the server when deleted from the phone, even when I make sure it is set never to do so. My account is a POP account and I have never had this problem with any other app on any other device. I tried recreating the account but it was the same problem.

lukas_s

Apr 6, 2011
6 people in the company I work for got a Nexus 5. I tried to set up one of their email accounts yesterday, but it wouldn't do anything. It seemed like it accepted the account, but it wouldn't sync any old mail, and it wouldn't notify about new mail. New mail would only show up about 15 minutes after being sent, and only after the inbox was manually refreshed.

Tried K9 mail. Same thing. I have never had any luck with K9 mail, though.

I'm hoping Google fixes this rather quickly. I'm a developer and I need my work email to always be available, because I am essentially on-call all day.

It seems like Google, in their rush to get KitKat out, did way less QA this time around than they have in the past.

truedni

Nov 4, 2013
6 people in the company I work for got a Nexus 5. I tried to set up one of their email accounts yesterday, but it wouldn't do anything. It seemed like it accepted the account, but it wouldn't sync any old mail, and it wouldn't notify about new mail. New mail would only show up about 15 minutes after being sent, and only after the inbox was manually refreshed.

Tried K9 mail. Same thing. I have never had any luck with K9 mail, though.

I'm hoping Google fixes this rather quickly. I'm a developer and I need my work email to always be available, because I am essentially on-call all day.

It seems like Google, in their rush to get KitKat out, did way less QA this time around than they have in the past.

This is similar to what I am seeing. After initial sync, I would never get any new messages. Check your subfolders if you have any, these seem to sync fine.

Whats the process to raise this with Google?

lukas_s

Apr 6, 2011
This is similar to what I am seeing. After initial sync, I would never get any new messages. Check your subfolders if you have any, these seem to sync fine.

Whats the process to raise this with Google?

Subfolders were not syncing for me yesterday, however, I'll have to wait until my phone comes in today to really test this. Most of the people I work with don't set up their subfolders correctly in Zimbra because they can never get the filtering to work, and I am always too busy to do it for them. As a result, they make subfolders, but just drag-and-drop what they want in that subfolder from the main inbox-- an utter pain in the ass.

In 4.3, "Take Bug Report" is one of the choiced under Developer Options. If that is still present in 4.4, that would probably be the best place to do it.

If that doesn't work, there is always this: http://source.android.com/source/report-bugs.html

phillyndon

Nov 5, 2013
Same as I'm seeing too. Initial email download worked fine. Manual sync works. Push sync is not downloading new emails

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Got mine working eventually by following this youtube video - GT5uHXLO298 - sorry won't let me post a link as I'm new! Just search YouTube for this reference number.

Took 3 attempts. First time it got stuck in a sync loop. Second time it stuck at waiting for sync. Third times a charm and now getting push emails.

Slick Google, real slick!

truedni

Nov 4, 2013
Same as I'm seeing too. Initial email download worked fine. Manual sync works. Push sync is not downloading new emails

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Got mine working eventually by following this youtube video - GT5uHXLO298 - sorry won't let me post a link as I'm new! Just search YouTube for this reference number.

Took 3 attempts. First time it got stuck in a sync loop. Second time it stuck at waiting for sync. Third times a charm and now getting push emails.

Slick Google, real slick!

Thanks for posting the link to the video. My auto-sync data is ticked in the Data Usage setting. If I turn off then back on again, it still makes no difference to the sync.
The thing with my issue is that I cant even manually sync, if I try, it does not update any emails which have been delivered to my Outlook client. The fact it only affects my Inbox is strange too, my subfolders sync fine.

I'm having issues with stock email client and company exchange, too.

When set to push, as i usually did on the n4, it won't let the n5 properly go to sleep, but phone keeps awake, and consuming quite a lot of battery overnight.

Sync also has stopped yesterday, but started again 2 hours later, therefore I'm not sure wether it's the n5's or exchange's fault.

Yes, I'm getting the exact same issue. Exchange push sync is working fine, but the e-mail app is keeping the phone awake. My phone went from 100% to 41% battery in 4 hours! I have changed the setting to check mail every 5 minutes rather than push to see if this helps in any way.

truedni

Nov 4, 2013
I have raised this with our Zimbra provider, and they have said they have seen this on another 4.4 device and are currently investigating. Still not sure if its a Zimbra and/or Email App issue at the moment - I am leaning towards a Zimbra issue but will wait and see.

Last edited:

burnstine

Oct 9, 2013
Breitenfurt
For now I would personally think oft an KitKat issue, as my problem persists with an MS Exchange Server, not Zimbra.

thewogltd

Dec 21, 2007
Zimbra Exchange Problems

I'm having all the same issues with Zimbra Exchange on my Nexus 5. Sync will work the first time. Then it will either stop or get stuck in a sync loop.

truedni

Nov 4, 2013
I have just been playing with the settings and seem to have gotten it to work for a short time (well more than it has done so far)..

On the mail profile set the Days to Sync from 3 days to 'All'. I also un-ticked the 'Sender Image' under General Settings. After a few mins, it ceased pushing emails again, and the sync loop was showing under account sync settings. Its like it was working whilst it performed its 1st sync, then died straight after :(

t0ad

Mar 9, 2011
My corporate email account has been pushing and such just fine since I set it up yesterday, we run an Exchange 2007 server at my office. Not sure why it isn't working for you guys..

foireatout

Nov 6, 2013
I'm having all the same issues with Zimbra Exchange on my Nexus 5. Sync will work the first time. Then it will either stop or get stuck in a sync loop.

Hi everybody,

I have the sames trouble with my new Nexus5.

I had a Nexus 4 with an Exchange Push Account and a Zimbra Push Account. No problem !

Yesterday,I configured my Nexus5 with exactly the same configuration. And that is a tragedy !

With a perfect similar configuration, the Nexus5 is unable to synchronize email for Exchange and Zimbra ... For Zimbra Sync loop and drains the battery.

Let's hope Google responds quickly

I am reassured that I am not alone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I raised this on the Google Groups forums (Along with someone else), and Google have confirmed that their Email team are looking into this.

https://productforums.google.com/fo...mail|sort:date/nexus/PMOplIFLGAk/axN_tu586p4J
    I changed a load of seemingly unrelated things to try to make mine accept push reliably, works fine at the moment. After trying to narrow it down it looks like it was having WiFi optimisation on and I found you needed to delete the exchange account and add it again after turning it off. Might be coincidence but as I said it's working fine at the moment.
    ya that didnt help me... same issues... works fine until i receive an email... then it goes into sync like a mofo mode and doesnt give me my inbox emails.

EDIT: idk how, but someone needs to report this to google ASAP. this needs to be fixed and soon... or maybe someone get on a dev and maybe they can reverse it and fix the error themselves... this needs to be fix...

they already know about it - there is a discussion and an issue on the google sites:

https://productforums.google.com/fo...mail|sort:date/nexus/PMOplIFLGAk/axN_tu586p4J

https://code.google.com/p/android/i...s Owner Summary Stars&groupby=&sort=&id=61785

i was just asked by one of the android-email team to file them a detailed bug report, just sent it so let's hope they resolve it fast!

about the sync issue: what i have seen so far in our logs (phone and server) is what others also stated:
    -) the phone sends an exchange-ping request to the server
    -) the server replies that there is "something" new
    -) the phone requests the new items, but sets the WindowSize to "0"
    -) the server sends 0 entries
    -) then the game starts over again..

i don't know why the phone sets WindowSize to 0... maybe the developers thought that 0 means unlimited, i don't know the ActiveSync protocol that much to reliably answer that question, but know that's googles matter to resolve this issue as fast as possible
    Translation: "We'll fix it when we fix it."

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Hi,

I am using touchtown as an alternate to stock exchange. It works perfect, consumes less battery.

I'll have to give that a try. Stock email app still won't sync anything past Nov 1 for me, so it is pretty pointless as a work email app at this point.