Nexus 5 camera has magnet ring built-in, for add-on lenses

Search This thread

arutazzaps

Jul 11, 2011
guys, do not attach any strong magnetic devices on the lens. Under the hood, there is a sensitive and complicated MEMS optical image stabilizer and these mechanisms are very sensitive to strong magnetic fields.
Strong magnetic fields may cause damage or disable the optical image stabilizer.

The magnet that is there is part of Image stabilization system, and placed there only for that purpose.

Do not place there magnets : it can cause irreversible damage!

reddragon72

May 28, 2008
Houston, because I have a problem
guys, do not attach any strong magnetic devices on the lens. Under the hood, there is a sensitive and complicated MEMS optical image stabilizer and these mechanisms are very sensitive to strong magnetic fields.
Strong magnetic fields may cause damage or disable the optical image stabilizer.

The magnet that is there is part of Image stabilization system, and placed there only for that purpose.

Do not place there magnets : it can cause irreversible damage!

According to this MEMS does away with magnets.

http://memscam.com/wp-content/uploa...e-by-mems-cam-Technologies-February-20131.pdf

MEMS doesn't use magnets it uses static electricity. And the way it is built MEMS provides the image stabilization as well as it can actually tilt the lens.

As to why the camera seems to be magnetic is the metal housing used in the Nexus 5 camera was reused. In other words the same housing can handle both VCM(Voice Coil Motor) which uses magnets and MEMS. The company that makes the camera for the Nexus 5 simply slapped a MEMS focuser in there standard housing. The standard case has a "shield" magnet to help eliminate outside magnetic forces from messing with the older VCM.

That's the best I can tell you and placing magnets around a camera lens is not a good idea as the older VCM tech is very susceptible to magnetism.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did you guys know about this?

gNAVkCz.jpg

More HERE.

Pretty cool little feature and something that hasn't been advertised!
    This is all making me very happy, this phone refuses to focus on anything vaguely close, so seeing what the macro lens can do is aaawesome.
    Without
    13%2B-%2B1

With
    13%2B-%2B1
    Did you guys know about this?

gNAVkCz.jpg

More HERE.

Pretty cool little feature and something that hasn't been advertised!

Came here to find my picture from Reddit... wasn't disappointed!
    Lol. Wireless charging dock magnets.

The discs located in the back of the N5 have been confirmed to be metal to aid in the adhering of the phone to wireless chargers. The magnets are in the chargers to the best of my knowledge, not the back of the N5. The lens ring is magnetic thanks OP! It isn't very strong though so an add-on lens would have to be pretty lightweight I'd imagine
    I asked someone and was told that the OIS uses magnets to move the lens around.