Nexus 5 cases; which is tougher yet usable?

Search This thread

Skyerin

Feb 14, 2012
Hi guys (and gals),

So, I've placed an order for my nexus 5 :D and am now looking at cases for it. Now, I really like a good strong case. For example, on my xperia play, I had the trident aegis (I wanted kraken but hey ho) and on my nexus 4 I have the armourdillo (I can barely use it though).

Now, I really liked those cases, but on those phones it was easier to cope with the phone being larger with a fat case on it.

The nexus 5 however, will be the biggest phone I've owned and as such, getting the biggest, bombproof case going is just not an option (small hands :( ). So my question is this; what's the best case I can get which won't add too much bulk to the point of it being unusable?

I have currently been looking at the spigen cases (slim armour mainly, but I've read that the neo hybrid is apparently better?? :confused: ) but would like all your thoughts in this matter. Lots of info is great and budget isn't an issue (if the benefits justify the cost).

Thanks for all your help, in advance :)

P.S. As for screen protectors, I settled on the rhino shield. They looked to be the best as far as impacts were concerned (yes, I'm scared of drops).

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

zolo185

Feb 9, 2013
Miami
Hi guys (and gals),

So, I've placed an order for my nexus 5 :D and am now looking at cases for it. Now, I really like a good strong case. For example, on my xperia play, I had the trident aegis (I wanted kraken but hey ho) and on my nexus 4 I have the armourdillo (I can barely use it though).

Now, I really liked those cases, but on those phones it was easier to cope with the phone being larger with a fat case on it.

The nexus 5 however, will be the biggest phone I've owned and as such, getting the biggest, bombproof case going is just not an option (small hands :(). So my question is this; what's the best case I can get which won't add too much bulk to the point of it being unusable?

I have currently been looking at the spigen cases (slim armour mainly, but I've read that the neo hybrid is apparently better?? :confused:) but would like all your thoughts in this matter. Lots of info is great and budget isn't an issue (if the benefits justify the cost).

I have the neo hybrid and slim armor and I like using the slim armor more. Better protection and better feel. I got the champagne for slim and silver for neo and I like the look of the slim a lot more. Also the ballistic case seems to be really good had one on my gs3 and it worked great.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Skyerin

noXcape

Mar 12, 2012
I got the SG maxx ballistic and its pretty solid...minus the screen protector... But its easy to just order the screen protector you want and the case doesn't mess with it. Its a very good case and the holster is also very solid.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

pocketrussian

Jun 2, 2008
I bought the Acase Google Nexus 5 Case Slim Superleggera PRO Dual Layer from Amazon and really like it. It's a good balance between bulk and protection. The case is very well made with everything lining up perfectly. Price is very reasonable too. My only criticism of this case is that it might be a little slippery.

_MetalHead_

Jun 30, 2010
Portland
I just ordered the Ballistic SG Maxx. They are bulky cases, but great quality. Only plan on using it at work so not really concerned about the extra bulk.

Skyerin

Feb 14, 2012
Thanks all for the replies. Please keep throwing information at me.

As far as the ballistic is concerned, it looks to me like that case is roughly the same size as the armourdillos and just a bit too big for my hands unfortunately! But by far, it looks to be the strongest case.

Out of the spigen slim armour and the superleggara, (or any other cases of this size), which would you say is stronger?

What would be really useful is if there was an actual drop test done on these cases, not using an actual nexus 5 but something with the same weight & size where they could measure the actual impact on the phone to see how good the case is.

I may just bite the size bullet and get the ballistic, but I'd like to try and see if there is something smaller which could protect my phone just enough to get away with it.

freshlysqueezed

Aug 4, 2010
Essential Phone
OnePlus 9
I have the ballistic SG maxx case and I love it.

If you are looking for something slimmer with added corner protection you might like the ballistic jewel.

JW2913-A165_LG-Nexus-5_Jewel-Topaz_web_03.jpg

Here's a link to a xda user review.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48434327

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

dkong322

Dec 23, 2013
Theres also the ballistic Aspira, simillar to the speck candyshell, but with bigger corners for better drop protection.
Also, it seems speck is going to release a Candyshell soon, which seems quite protective.

Skyerin

Feb 14, 2012
Ballistic SG Maxx; Great case. It fits the toughness bill. But the usable-ness for people with smaller hands suffers from it's size so unfortunately, this won't suit.

Ballistic Jewel; That thing looks fragile as hell. I could be wrong but it looks really really weak.

Ballistic Aspira; Not bad at all actually. It looks like it could take a drop or two maybe.

Tudia Wav; Wow. That's not a bad case at all. I like the grooves idea on the back of the case. That drop test reminds me of when I got the trident aegis for my xperia play and almost turned it into a basketball. How I wish Trident would make a cyclops case for this phone...

[Case] Generic Ultra Thin Matte Faux Carbon Fiber TPU Case http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2586051; this case actually looks pretty strong and decent. The guy who bought it had only nice things to say about it.

Spigen Slim Armor; One recommendation on this but not much else. I still kind of really think this case is pretty cool but maybe because of the big thing about "shock protection" and "elite protection" plastered all over the description on spigen's website. It does take the award of nicest looking case though.

As far as I can see, the above are the cases which fit toughness yet usable enough. I probably missed a few off like the Ringkes and cruzerlites but nobody has mentioned them so far. Really, out of all of these, I have no idea what to pick! Wouldn't it be great if there was a standard measure of how tough a case was so that you could easily make a comparison? :)

Bleys43

Nov 4, 2010
Ballistic SG Maxx; Great case. It fits the toughness bill. But the usable-ness for people with smaller hands suffers from it's size so unfortunately, this won't suit.

Ballistic Jewel; That thing looks fragile as hell. I could be wrong but it looks really really weak.

Ballistic Aspira; Not bad at all actually. It looks like it could take a drop or two maybe.

Tudia Wav; Wow. That's not a bad case at all. I like the grooves idea on the back of the case. That drop test reminds me of when I got the trident aegis for my xperia play and almost turned it into a basketball. How I wish Trident would make a cyclops case for this phone...

[Case] Generic Ultra Thin Matte Faux Carbon Fiber TPU Case http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2586051; this case actually looks pretty strong and decent. The guy who bought it had only nice things to say about it.

Spigen Slim Armor; One recommendation on this but not much else. I still kind of really think this case is pretty cool but maybe because of the big thing about "shock protection" and "elite protection" plastered all over the description on spigen's website. It does take the award of nicest looking case though.

As far as I can see, the above are the cases which fit toughness yet usable enough. I probably missed a few off like the Ringkes and cruzerlites but nobody has mentioned them so far. Really, out of all of these, I have no idea what to pick! Wouldn't it be great if there was a standard measure of how tough a case was so that you could easily make a comparison? :)

The ballistic jewel is flexible tpu, so not fragile at all. I understand the mistake, though, as it looked like hard plastic to me before I got my hands on it.

The Tudia Wave is pure garbage. I suppose it protects as well as any other tpu case, but it feels cheap, the buttons are unresponsive, and there are rough ridges left over from the injection molding process.

Skyerin

Feb 14, 2012
The ballistic jewel is flexible tpu, so not fragile at all. I understand the mistake, though, as it looked like hard plastic to me before I got my hands on it.

The Tudia Wave is pure garbage. I suppose it protects as well as any other tpu case, but it feels cheap, the buttons are unresponsive, and there are rough ridges left over from the injection molding process.

Haha my bad!

Its down to a choice of the jewel, aspira or spigen slim armor for me really. They all look like great cases with great reviews. Would I be right in saying those 3 cases are pretty evenly matched in toughness terms and its a choice of taste and feel rather than strength or have I got that pretty wrong?

Thanks for all your help by the way people. I really appreciate it, especially on a topic I know nothing about so I ask many stupid questions or make stupid assumptions.

xK1LLSW1TCHx127

Jun 10, 2011
Ft. Collins
more questions

Hello, I don't mean to steal the thread or anything, so please tell me if I should go away. I am, however, looking for advice on a case for my phone and I thought maybe posting on here would work since the OP seems to have found a case he is happy with (glad to see you found a case to make you happy!) and i am interested in some of the cases that were mentioned, so here goes.

I too am looking for a case for my Nexus 5, I take extremely good care of my phones (I love my electronics, I keep all of my electronics in great shape, I still have my original Galaxy S in perfect condition!) I do like to have a case on my phones to ensure that I won't screw anything up, since I take really good care of my stuff I'm not looking for anything terribly tough, just something to protect from scuff marks, keep the screen off the table and camera lens safe.

I noticed that the OP went with the Tudia Wav, this is a case I've been looking at for some time as well. My only concerns with it are: 1) how tactile are the power and volume keys? The TPU case I had on my SII wasn't very tactile and I hated it. 2) will it work with wireless charging? I remember reading that it would, but double checking never hurts.

I am also considering the caseology slim fit http://www.amazon.com/Caseology-Fin...35&sr=1-1&keywords=nexus+5+caseology+slim+fit I think that this case will be my go to if I can't get feedback on other cases.

Finally, I saw the acase superlegera on amazon and I am somewhat interested in that one given that it is compatible with wireless charging and that the buttons are fairly tactile. Can someone comment on this case?

Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm a verbose guy. Anyways, thanks a ton for the feedback, hope to hear from you guys soon. :laugh:

Skyerin

Feb 14, 2012
Hello, I don't mean to steal the thread or anything, so please tell me if I should go away. I am, however, looking for advice on a case for my phone and I thought maybe posting on here would work since the OP seems to have found a case he is happy with (glad to see you found a case to make you happy!) and i am interested in some of the cases that were mentioned, so here goes.

I too am looking for a case for my Nexus 5, I take extremely good care of my phones (I love my electronics, I keep all of my electronics in great shape, I still have my original Galaxy S in perfect condition!) I do like to have a case on my phones to ensure that I won't screw anything up, since I take really good care of my stuff I'm not looking for anything terribly tough, just something to protect from scuff marks, keep the screen off the table and camera lens safe.

I noticed that the OP went with the Tudia Wav, this is a case I've been looking at for some time as well. My only concerns with it are: 1) how tactile are the power and volume keys? The TPU case I had on my SII wasn't very tactile and I hated it. 2) will it work with wireless charging? I remember reading that it would, but double checking never hurts.

I am also considering the caseology slim fit http://www.amazon.com/Caseology-Fin...35&sr=1-1&keywords=nexus+5+caseology+slim+fit I think that this case will be my go to if I can't get feedback on other cases.

Finally, I saw the acase superlegera on amazon and I am somewhat interested in that one given that it is compatible with wireless charging and that the buttons are fairly tactile. Can someone comment on this case?

Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm a verbose guy. Anyways, thanks a ton for the feedback, hope to hear from you guys soon. :laugh:

Hey and no problem; thread steal all you like! And I haven't found a case yet but I am down to 3 options which I like, yet can't decide between (ballistic jewel, ballistic aspira, spigen slim armor).

As far as the Tudia is concerned, I've been told above that its not made to a very high standard and all so I'm avoiding that.

Wireless charging; AFAIK (and I could really be wrong with this) if the case isn't too bulky, wireless charging will work fine. Such as with the cruzerlites, spigens and even the armourdillos. So you should be fine with the cases you're looking at.

My advice; If you're in the US, have a look at the ballistic jewel. I know you said you didn't need anything too tough but better safe than sorry, seeing as this case has very little bulk anyway. This would be my case of choice if I could get it in the UK easily enough but because of delivery times not suiting the arrival of my N5 (paranoid), I'm settling on a slim armor for now and going to then start my month wait for the jewel.

Unless of course, somebody mentions an absolutely super awesome case that makes me forget both of these cases altogether.

angied

Feb 27, 2014
Google Pixel 7
Which cases did you all end up with? I'm very paranoid, so I want a protective case, BUT I really want the least bulky one, and one that keeps the shape of the phone. I realize I can't have it all, I just want to get as close as possible.

I hope you're happy with whatever cases you got!

IRX120

May 28, 2012
Atlanta
Just got the Seidio Convert Case combo, 45$ on ebay, getting my nexus 5 by tuesday hopefully but from the way the case looks it looks protective and amazing

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: angied

dastinger

Dec 2, 2010
I hate the fact that I need to use a case in order to protect my phone but I went for a slim case on my SGS and ended up with a broken screen for a year and a half so I can't use the phone without good protection. On the other hand, I hate to add to much bulk to it so I looked for days for the best case that would fit both needs and ended up with the Tech 21 Impact Frame. Was lucky enough to find an AWESOME person that would send one to me since it's only available in the US and I love it.

The phone has been dropped twice with it (curiously, none of them were my fault) and not a single scratch... the case is slim given the protection it provides and I love the looks too. The clear back shows the back of my white Nexus 5 (hated that I had bought the white version and couldn't see it due to a Neo Hybrid) but that's the only thing that I don't like about it. The plastic on the back scratches too easily. I only have it for 2 weeks and there are spider webs everywhere. But, given all the other positive points, I'll keep it and it's my favourite case for the N5.

There are a couple of videos on YouTube showing it. One from an XDA user that did awesome drop tests with the case on.

Reactions: angied

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys (and gals),

The nexus 5 however, will be the biggest phone I've owned and as such, getting the biggest, bombproof case going is just not an option (small hands :(). So my question is this; what's the best case I can get which won't add too much bulk to the point of it being unusable?

I have currently been looking at the spigen cases (slim armour mainly, but I've read that the neo hybrid is apparently better?? :confused:) but would like all your thoughts in this matter. Lots of info is great and budget isn't an issue (if the benefits justify the cost).

I have the neo hybrid and slim armor and I like using the slim armor more. Better protection and better feel. I got the champagne for slim and silver for neo and I like the look of the slim a lot more. Also the ballistic case seems to be really good had one on my gs3 and it worked great.

I got the SG maxx ballistic and its pretty solid...minus the screen protector... But its easy to just order the screen protector you want and the case doesn't mess with it. Its a very good case and the holster is also very solid.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
    I bought the Acase Google Nexus 5 Case Slim Superleggera PRO Dual Layer from Amazon and really like it. It's a good balance between bulk and protection. The case is very well made with everything lining up perfectly. Price is very reasonable too. My only criticism of this case is that it might be a little slippery.
    I just ordered the Ballistic SG Maxx. They are bulky cases, but great quality. Only plan on using it at work so not really concerned about the extra bulk.
    I have the ballistic SG maxx case and I love it.

If you are looking for something slimmer with added corner protection you might like the ballistic jewel.

JW2913-A165_LG-Nexus-5_Jewel-Topaz_web_03.jpg

Here's a link to a xda user review.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48434327

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app