[Nexus 5] CF-Auto-Root

Search This thread

bluedonut

Jul 12, 2012
Golden Valley
Long-time Android fan, previous rooter on Sprint Morotola Photon 4G. Then the Photon crashed a couple times and I never rerooted.

Just upgraded to Nexus 5 and am interested in rooting again to gain access to wireless hotspot.

I'm confused in reading over the posts on whether or not rooting will factor reset my Nexus 5 or not. I don't have a ton of apps and new "stuff" on my Nexus 5 that I didn't have on my Photon, but enough that it would be a pain to reinstall it all over again.

If it does factory reset, what's the prescribed method of saving the current data/apps/texts/pictures for easy reinstallation once rooted?

Thanks in advance!

lennydude

Oct 18, 2010
Damn... anyone can help me?
I've installed every driver but my laptop can't find my nexus 5 in the fastboot mode........ dafuq?
I need help :(

Try using the Wugfresh tool kit. They have a advanced driver help section. That may do it especially if your having those types of issues.

BTW: hope your using a Windows laptop.

Reactions: Carbonizarre

lennydude

Oct 18, 2010
Can confirm whether apps & files get lost if try this ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

This has been answered a few times already (actually is written very clear on first page) but........

This will unlock your phone which will do a complete factory reset. You will loose everything on the phone.

You need to do a complete backup prior to doing this.

yodeiu

Sep 12, 2011
So, will this app wipe all my apps from my never rooted stock rom Nexus 5? If i remember correctly when I rooted my Galaxy S2 it didn't wipe anything.
I wanna root, but I'm too lazy to install all my apps again as I'm not planning to change the ROM.

Last edited:

Laurentyu1995

Apr 15, 2012
Oradea
So, will this app wipe all my apps from my never rooted stock rom Nexus 5? If i remember correctly when I rooted my Galaxy S2 it didn't wipe anything.
I wanna root, but I'm too lazy to install all my apps again as I'm not planning to change the ROM.

This app will unlock your bootloader (if it's not unclocked; stock it's locked) and unlocking of bootloader need an wipe of all your apps including media (photos,videos,etc) that you have stored on your phone...after this it should be like you bought from store but rooted. To be more explicit,first you need to unlock bootloader,then root and then if you want (but not using CF-Autoroot) to install a custom recovery, a custom kernel....

Edit:I've also rooted my S+ and my friend S2 and yes rooting them doesn't wipe anything because they don't have a locked bootloader..

Last edited:

yodeiu

Sep 12, 2011
This app will unlock your bootloader (if it's not unclocked; stock it's locked) and unlocking of bootloader need an wipe of all your apps including media (photos,videos,etc) that you have stored on your phone...after this it should be like you bought from store but rooted. To be more explicit,first you need to unlock bootloader,then root and then if you want (but not using CF-Autoroot) to install a custom recovery, a custom kernel....

Edit:I've also rooted my S+ and my friend S2 and yes rooting them doesn't wipe anything because they don't have a locked bootloader..

Thank you for the info, sucks that I have to wipe everything, guess I'll have to deal with it.

Sent from my Nexus 5

gaveup

Jun 10, 2009
I ran the tool (OSX Mavericks) and it looks like it unlocked everything as it should (formatted data as well). But I am not seeing the proper binaries for root installed.

Downloaded superSU and it is giving me the error:
"No SU binary installed...etcetcetc"

Did I miss something? Whats the next step?

Edit: NEVERMIND. Ugh. stupid mistakes lol.

Last edited:

samsgun357

May 3, 2012
I got a few questions. The OP says
cf-auto root is for root beginners and is for stock firmware. Is this method not recommended if I want to flash a custom recovery and ROM? If not why?

I actually just rooted my n7 flo last night with this method, super simple, thanks!
I then flashed cwm recovery on it. After the flash and before boot it asked to fix root /system/xbin or something which I did. Can someone explain this, why it asked that? I've had quite a few devices I've rooted etc but first time I've seen this. Thanks

-Gunny

Its only weird if it doesn't work!

mandeep294

Nov 13, 2010
New Delhi
I got a few questions. The OP says
cf-auto root is for root beginners and is for stock firmware. Is this method not recommended if I want to flash a custom recovery and ROM? If not why?

I actually just rooted my n7 flo last night with this method, super simple, thanks!
I then flashed cwm recovery on it. After the flash and before boot it asked to fix root /system/xbin or something which I did. Can someone explain this, why it asked that? I've had quite a few devices I've rooted etc but first time I've seen this. Thanks

-Gunny

Its only weird if it doesn't work!

no u can use this method even if u want to flash custom recovery.. its the best method for rooting

Reactions: samsgun357

happymfeet

Feb 4, 2011
Fort Worth
Just making sure but after using this tool, can I install rom manager and use that to flash a custom recovery? I'd like to know if there is any consequences to doing it this method or if it's even possible this way?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
    CF-Root has been available for many devices and has clocked over 17.5 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

What's installed
    - SuperSU binary and APK
    - Nothing else, that's it.

Installation and usage

- Download the ZIP file (see post below for link)
    - Extract the ZIP file
    - Boot your device in bootloader/fastboot mode. Usually this can be done by turning your device off, then holding VolUp+VolDown+Power to turn it on.
    - Connect your device to your computer using USB

- Windows:
    --- Run root-windows.bat

- Linux
    --- chmod +x root-linux.sh
    --- Run root-linux.sh

- Mac OS X
    --- chmod +x root-mac.sh
    --- Run root-mac.sh

- Follow the on-screen instructions - watch both the computer and the device !

Note that if your device had not been unlocked before, this procedure will wipe all your data !

Are you having fastboot driver issues? You can find fastboot drivers in many places, but the easiest way is probably just installing the Android SDK.

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

Not included - adbd Insecure
    As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
    http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

CF-Auto-Root main thread
    [CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
    For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.
    For anyone having issues with "waiting for device" or "device not found" this is what I did to fix it.

With your phone plugged into your computer go to device manager, right-click on Nexus 5 under "portable devices" and click uninstall the drivers. Then click "find hardware changes" so it finds your phone again. Find the Nexus 5 with the "!" on it under device manager. Right-click again and click "update drivers", Navigate to the drivers that you can download from here http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html#top

From there Windows should load the appropriate drivers and CF-Root will now see your device. This worked for me. Hope this is clear and it works for you.
    im also getting "waiting for device"... please help us out!

Ok, I fixed mine.

Try this:

1. On your PC, Hold the Windows key and press Pause and open Device Manager in the top left.
    2. See if there is a Nexus 5 with a Yellow exclamation point next to it. Mine was under a category called "other".
    3. If there is, download this: http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html#top
    4. Extract that to a folder on your desktop
    5. Go back to the Device Manager.
    6. Right click the yellow exclamation Nexus5, and click Update drivers.
    7. Browse my computer manually.
    8. Point it to the driver folder on your desktop.

That fixed everything for me, so good luck!
    Ok, I fixed mine.

Try this:

1. On your PC, Hold the Windows key and press Pause and open Device Manager in the top left.
    2. See if there is a Nexus 5 with a Yellow exclamation point next to it. Mine was under a category called "other".
    3. If there is, download this: http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html#top
    4. Extract that to a folder on your desktop
    5. Go back to the Device Manager.
    6. Right click the yellow exclamation Nexus5, and click Update drivers.
    7. Browse my computer manually.
    8. Point it to the driver folder on your desktop.

That fixed everything for me, so good luck!

Quoting for those wondering why their root hangs at "waiting for device" - this worked for me.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone