• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Nexus 5 power button rattle fix....

Search This thread

deansaunders

Nov 3, 2013
South West England
Right, I may or may not be alone in this but the rattle from my power button was really starting to p**s me off. I could hear it clearly when the phone was at arms length and I tapped the screen anywhere in the top half. I thought it was the camera at first, then found holding the power button still whilst using the phone stopped it. This morning I was using my phone and decided to do something about it.

First can I say this was not any normal rattle (i.e camera lens), you could clearly hear it at arms length whilst tapping the screen in the top half. I made this video because people have told me they have the same issue. If you take your phone apart and break it, that's not my fault.

For those that have this problem and decide to do this, I hope it helps :) It has made me a hell of a lot happier with the phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ego0eXYwOms&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

deansaunders

Nov 3, 2013
South West England
Wow wouldn't have just been easier to send it back keep your warranty and get a new one?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Ah, forgot to mentiom, this is my 2nd one. Bought my first one and heard the rattle, took it back after 2 hours. The replacement does the same thing and looking on here in the defects thread it seems a few people have the problem. There's no sort of warranty seal inside the phone and the stuff can easily be taken out again should it die for some reason and I need to get a new one under warranty.

Reactions: johnannis and Nbsss

mtbgus

Dec 19, 2011
Ffynnongroyw
Ah, forgot to mentiom, this is my 2nd one. Bought my first one and heard the rattle, took it back after 2 hours. The replacement does the same thing and looking on here in the defects thread it seems a few people have the problem. There's no sort of warranty seal inside the phone and the stuff can easily be taken out again should it die for some reason and I need to get a new one under warranty.

Some people analyse small insignificant things too much, surely it couldn't have made an audible noise level outside of a sound proof box.

Did the sales person look at you bemused or did he test the rattle and end up deafened by it? :eek:

deansaunders

Nov 3, 2013
South West England
Some people analyse small insignificant things too much, surely it couldn't have made an audible noise level outside of a sound proof box.

Did the sales person look at you bemused or did he test the rattle himself/herself and end up deafened by it? :eek:

He agreed that he could hear the rattle. It may not have seemed that important to him in a loud and busy shop, but when you're sat on your sofa in the evening and even the slightest of taps near the top of the screen make it rattle it doesn't take long before it becomes very annoying. If it were just when I shook the phone near my ear or something then I would have just accepted it, but it's the fact it is hard to ignore,even at arms length, made me want to do something about it.

Reactions: Paradelle and reeco

mtbgus

Dec 19, 2011
Ffynnongroyw
He agreed that he could hear the rattle. It may not have seemed that important to him in a loud and busy shop, but when you're sat on your sofa in the evening and even the slightest of taps near the top of the screen make it rattle it doesn't take long before it becomes very annoying. If it were just when I shook the phone near my ear or something then I would have just accepted it, but it's the fact it is hard to ignore,even at arms length, made me want to do something about it.

Fair enough I guess. :)

Ensifolk

Aug 29, 2011
Beirut
The more Im reading, the creepier it gets for me :p Only because I'm gonna make someone buy the phone for me and send it, so there would be no chance of return if I saw any kind of defects. Just why all these reports of rattles, dead pixels, after vibration weird sound...ughhhh! Was planning to buy it from Carphone Warehouse...

lolcopter

Jul 27, 2010
The more Im reading, the creepier it gets for me :p Only because I'm gonna make someone buy the phone for me and send it, so there would be no chance of return if I saw any kind of defects. Just why all these reports of rattles, dead pixels, after vibration weird sound...ughhhh! Was planning to buy it from Carphone Warehouse...

don't stress it brah, the vast majority are fine you just don't hear about it

mine is fine :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Right, I may or may not be alone in this but the rattle from my power button was really starting to p**s me off. I could hear it clearly when the phone was at arms length and I tapped the screen anywhere in the top half. I thought it was the camera at first, then found holding the power button still whilst using the phone stopped it. This morning I was using my phone and decided to do something about it.

First can I say this was not any normal rattle (i.e camera lens), you could clearly hear it at arms length whilst tapping the screen in the top half. I made this video because people have told me they have the same issue. If you take your phone apart and break it, that's not my fault.

For those that have this problem and decide to do this, I hope it helps :) It has made me a hell of a lot happier with the phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ego0eXYwOms&feature=youtu.be
    Non invasive fix for the power button rattling

First things first, thanks to the OP for this thread, thanks to him I somehow realized how to fix my issue.
    However, we all are not so experienced and have the guts to open our phones like a jar of beans LOL Hence, I thought, how could I possibly fix this damn noise?
    The rattle it's really an insignificant thing, and I don't think it will in any way affect the proper functionality of the hardware, it is just a matter of poor design spec's plus the material of what the key itself is made that makes the noise.

Let's start...

SPEC'S

Nexus 5 16GB D821 rev_11
    I couldn't buy my Nexus from Google, so I can't rely on the RMA policy. On a side note, it seems the rattling is just a part of the phone you can't get rid off...It occurred to me to think that few devices that don't have this problem are, in fact defected somehow, because we all have this problem..they call it a feature..I call it a pain in my ass.

HOW TO REQUIREMENTS:

-Scissors
    -A 85g/m2 smooth (or not) drawing paper
    -Tweezers (if you live with a girl, and yes your mom count as a girl in this specific situation (LOL), ask for them to her)
    -A black marker

HOW TO:

-Find a paper like this one (picture)..it is very very common, you'll find it in every drawing shop or you probably have something similar already on your home. I tried different kind of paper, along with different thickness, what I'm suggesting you is the best choice..otherwise, if the paper is not thick enough, the rattle won't disappear, if the paper is too thick, the power button will be somehow moved or worst, it will activate with no reason because the thickness of the paper push over it.
    gbze.jpg

-Cut the paper as you can see in the picture, no more no less, it will perfectly fit the button living a tiny space so you'll avoid to move it while pressing the button
    1ugh.jpg

Colour it in black, so it's invisible, and it really is, to check if it's still in place I have to look at it with my professional lamp, you'll never see it if you don't carefully look at it..Furthermore, I choose on purpose to place the tiny piece of paper in the lower part of the button rather then on the upper, so you'll never see it again.
    xpgp.jpg

Put the already coloured piece of paper under a lamp so it can dry properly and completely.
    Now, with the tweezers, place it between the button and the case..If your rattle is like mine was, the space between the case and the button is large enough fot that kind of paper..Place the first core of the piece of paper, then play with it a bit so it can fit the space properly. Be careful with tweezers, you can scratch the case if you act like a gorilla..be gentle, be patience, and it will fit properly.
    50tt.jpg

The result must be something like this (pictures)
    6eg9.jpg

4adb.jpg

3lkf.jpg

The picture right above is the final result (the 2 previous ones just show you how to place the piece of paper).
    As you can see, the result is quite something. It is barely visible, even looking carefully under the lamp light, it is very difficult to spot it out. And let's be honest, if you want to see it you will, especially under the light of a lamp! I challenged my dad, my mom, my friends and my girlfriend to see if they can actually spot it out without knowing it exists, they all failed. After I told them where and what to look at, they all were like "Ohhhhh there it is!"
    More importantly, it is working like a charm. The rattle is completely gone. Before the fix, i was able to literally move the power button, now it stays in place, no matter how hard I try to move it. Tapping the corner near the button do not generate that noisy crappy sound like before, unless if I vigorously hit it..Remeber that a part of that sound is made by the camera sensor, so hear it a bit it's perfectly normal.
    The button isn't affected in any way by the fix, I tried a million on/off. The paper stay in place, even slithering my finger over the button doesn't move it.
    That's it guys. I must say I'm quite a perfectionist, and despite from the fact that I know this is a very very cheap way to fix such a great piece of device, the fact that it works so good and it is practically invisible makes me happier then before. That stupid noise is gone, even shacking the phone now I gotta do it really hard to hear the tiniest tic tac.
    Last conclusion, paper like the one I used might not be the best material for this kind of fix, it was just the best I found in my home..maybe something made from plastic would work better, I don't know. For now I can say it is ok.
    Another great thing about this fix is that you can remove it whenever you want. There's no way that this tiny piece of paper will go anyway inside the phone, the video from the op shows us that there is no place where it could get lost inside the case, moreover, you'll see placing it you can reach in depth just half of the widht of the piece of paper itself (hence I cut it that wide, that long).
    Good luck everybody, hope this helps :good:

Did the sales person look at you bemused or did he test the rattle and end up deafened by it? :eek:
    Instead of messing around with the vibration motor myself I just took it back to CPW for a replacement. Just got home, opened replacement and this time it feels like the motor is on it's deathbed. Hardly any feedback at all, just a little whimper. Whilst waiting for the OS update to download I went into the keyboard settings and bumped the haptic to 100ms. It's probably weaker at 100ms than my old phone was at default :eek:

Instead of a loud motor I now have one that hardly makes any noise, or vibration.

That's why I decided I was better off sorting it myself, lol. If I had taken another one back then I was playing the game of Nexus Roulette.
    I think you could just add it to the first post! Btw, thanks a lot for making the video, you're awesome!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

No problem. It's 11:30pm here and I'm about to go to bed. I'll sort it out in the morning so the video should be up within 12 hours.