Nexus 5 + Quick Charge 3.0 charger = up to 1850mAh!

Search This thread

minidou-77

Aug 6, 2011
Please everybody learn your electronic basics : mah is NOT a current, it is a capacity. All your values are mA (no h in it).
Please @Marcin-prv correct it, you are misleading people who might think you change your battery capacity.
Thanks

SAproX1

Jul 13, 2016
Current Charging Advice

Guys I recently bought this LVSUN LS-Q4U charger and I don't know wich port I have to use for better charging, i'm confused between 5V-2.4A and 5V-3A.
Thanks!

FirstEver

Jul 18, 2013
London
www.firstever.eu
New tests coming soon! :D
Wireless Chargers and Muker-J7 USB Multi Meter (up to 30V and QC 3.0 support).
51T%2BSuMqYVL.jpg

Hammerhead2502

Dec 5, 2014
Mumbai
I got the Anker Quick charge 2.0 charger and the Anker powerline cable. It charged my phone from 0% to 88% in an hour. I didn't check the current as I didn't wanted to disturb the full charge. But previously when I did check, it gave me 1390mA. Nexus 5 is really a beast. My phone charges almost as quickly as my mom's Nexus 5X.

Ishtaar

Oct 6, 2008
What's the best to expect from Anker Quick Charge 3.0 charge + OEM cable ? Has it been tested ?

Keyper23

Jan 2, 2019
Hello. I am (still) using the Nexus 5 as of today, and have had no problems with it at all. It meet my basic needs quite well. The original USB cable is showing it's age and needs to be replaced. Does it make sense to change both the cable ( not sure which one to buy) and the original charger something like a quick charge Aukey/Anker (Qualcomm 3). Your suggestions? Thank you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    rJVEwf9.jpg

I am NOT responsible for destroyed devices, damaged batteries or Arctic Ozone Hole.
    Please do some research if you have any concerns about using fast charging.

I managed to get my Nexus 5 charging at 1850mAh on Quick Charge 3.0 charger!

In theory, Nexus 5 can support Quick Charge 2.0, because it uses the Snapdragon 800 chipset,
    but it uses a Texas Instruments BQ24192 chip for battery charging and power path management,
    which does not work with Qualcomm Quick Charge. According to AnandTech ( Google Nexus 5 Reviewhttp://www.anandtech.com/show/7517/g...exus-5-review/3 ),
    the Nexus 5 should automatically restrict charging rates to a maximum of 1500mA.

Quick Charge - fast charging technology
    Qualcomm Quick Charge 1.0 is able to charge up to 40% faster than conventional charging (Max Power 10W)
    Quick Charge 2.0, increasing the charge time advantage up to 75% (Max Power 18W)
    Quick Charge 3.0 is designed to charge twice as fast as Quick Charge 1.0 and to be 38 percent more efficient than Quick Charge 2.0 (Max Power 18W)

Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 vs 2.0 vs 1.0
    7oAUFk6.jpg

Qualcomm Quick vs Nexus 5 - the first 30 minutes of charge
    VxbdZ1U.jpg

Charging from your laptop or computer
    3mMnhE5.jpg

SPECS

Please note that I bought my Nexus 5 in November 2013 but I replaced the battery with a new one.
    The maximum charging rates was 1850mAh - reading from PortaPow V2 (1530mAh - reading from Ampere app).

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Tests

1. Nexus 5 Full Charge Time = 1h 20min 43sec

2. Nexus 5 Charge Time - 5% step (minutes)
    ExXYX4y.png

3. Nexus 5 Charge Level - every 5 minutes (%)
    vGjaLsU.png

4. Battery Charging Time Comparison (3A Charger)
    55eyBrA.png

FjvXNr2.png

yI06djy.png

I'm going to do some more tests soon.

5. Anker Quick Charge 3.0 charge + USB Cables (Nexus 5, OnePlus One, Anker, RAVPower ) vs Amps
    6. Best cable from Test 4 + Chargers (Anker Quick Charge 3.0 charger, RAVPower Quick Charge 2.0/2.4A power bank, OnePlus One charger, Nexus 5 charger) vs Amps
    7. RAVPower power bank USB Type-C (3A) output - I need to buy a USB-C to Micro-USB cable

Conclusion
    The Nexus 5 was released more than 2 years ago (October 2013) and we can use it for everything!
    We can overclock it, shot 4K videos, play H265 movies, create VR headset for PC gaming, run Window 7 or boot Windows 10.
    Now you can fast-charge the battery. The Nexus 5 is a Quick Charge 1.0 device, but provides the same charging speed
    as the Samsung Galaxy S6 that supports Adaptive fast charging or Quick Charge 2.0.

The Nexus 5 is a simply unblieveable phone! :D
    Just something to consider, a regular Nexus 5 is charged at about 900mA up to 1A current ( measured from my DIY power supply ). If you double the current, you also increase the power dissipation of the charging circuit by 4x. Sooner or later the whole device will fail.

No one here is forcing 2 amps into the phone with some hack, its pulling it by itself, meaning its capable of pulling that much current.
    In theory, Nexus 5 can support Quick Charge 2.0, because it uses the Snapdragon 800 chipset

You just proved that it doesn't, with a qc 3.0 charger it only charged at 10 watts(volts*amps), that qc 1.0 spec.
    If it would support qc 2.0 it would switch to 9v and even 12v during charging but it doesn't.
    The reason anandtech showed 2.5 hours to charge is because they use oem chargers to charge the phones, think it was rated at around 1 amp. Switch to a high quality 2 amp one and it fixes the problem, my blackberry 1.8a charger does the job as quickly as your qc 3.0 charger.
    I know Uber kernel has a setting to choose max charge current, and it goes up to 1900mA. Tried it a few days ago but as i dirty flashed kernel, my phone was buggy as f*ck and i returned to ElementalX lol
    hello my friend thanks for your job, :)
    can i charge a device with snapdragon 810 chip (sony z5 premium) with quick charge 3.0 charger ?
    instead of quick charge 2.0 charger is that okay and safe ?

regards

You can use QuickCharge 3.0 charger but the Snapdragon 810 supports up to QuickCharge 2.0.
    https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/810
    So, you will be limited to 2.0 "speed".