• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Nexus 5 tethering block?

Search This thread

droidgirly

Mar 4, 2014
UPDATE: T-Mobile tether TURLY AND FINALLY FIXED.

UPDATE: So, my brother bought an identical Nexus 5 phone, and I used the same process with rooting the phone, modifying the settings database entry for the teather_dun switch, and we both had PDA Net installed with foxify, and for some reason, it worked flawlessly on his phone, blown way past the included 2.5GB data plan, works perfectly. So after some tinkering, I discovered I installed a SLIGHTLY different version of PDA Net. so I uninstalled it, went to google play found the PDANet from Google Play, installed it, and now it's working flawlessly, with every wireless device I have, Nintendo Wii, and U, PS3, and PS4, even the dreamcast I have with a USB wireless connects to it with zero redirects. I'm working on building a tutorial with screen shots into a PDF for ease, but for now, here are the steps.

WARNING: THIS WILL CAUSE YOU TO LOSE ANY AND ALL DATA IF YOU HAVE NEVER ROOTED YOUR PHONE BEFORE, BE MINDFUL.

1. Start from a fresh stock Nexus 5, and reset it, login with your google account, and then download, pay for and install the flowing app:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.msg.nexus5app

Follow the instructions for Rooting your phone, once you have, move on to step 2.

2. download and install the following App for modifying the database to include the tether entry.

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.sqleditor

3. Using the SQL editor, open it, click on the "Apps" tab, scroll down and find "Settings Storage" it has a little grey scrocket/gear for it's icon, click that.

4. On the next screen touch Settings DB, then the next screen click the + and in the screen that pops up, for the name field enter "teather_dun_required" and the value set to 0, save your changes then restart your phone.

5. After your phone restarts, download a fresh new install ONLY from the Google Play store of PDAnet, pay for the full version, I've been using PDANet across MANY different phones, platforms and such and I've only ever had to pay once for the full version, fully worth the $15. Version should be 4.15.4, enter what ever SSID or wifi network name you like, just no spaces, and only letters and numbers, case is unimportant generally, enter a passphrase, (password is case sensative), letters or numbers.

6. Restart your phone, fireup PDANet, enable the wireless hotspot, and away you go.

If you follow these steps and got it to work where you had failed before, let me know. If you still couldn't get it to work, let me know that as well. Please remember, for the BEST chance of success, do a full factory STOCK reset of your phone with the orginal T-Mobile/Nexus 5 android image, a.k.a KitKat 4.4, then install the nexus app,

andy o

May 6, 2012
UPDATE: So, my brother bought an identical Nexus 5 phone, and I used the same process with rooting the phone, modifying the settings database entry for the teather_dun switch, and we both had PDA Net installed with foxify, and for some reason, it worked flawlessly on his phone, blown way past the included 2.5GB data plan, works perfectly. So after some tinkering, I discovered I installed a SLIGHTLY different version of PDA Net. so I uninstalled it, went to google play found the PDANet from Google Play, installed it, and now it's working flawlessly, with every wireless device I have, Nintendo Wii, and U, PS3, and PS4, even the dreamcast I have with a USB wireless connects to it with zero redirects. I'm working on building a tutorial with screen shots into a PDF for ease, but for now, here are the steps.

WARNING: THIS WILL CAUSE YOU TO LOSE ANY AND ALL DATA IF YOU HAVE NEVER ROOTED YOUR PHONE BEFORE, BE MINDFUL.

1. Start from a fresh stock Nexus 5, and reset it, login with your google account, and then download, pay for and install the flowing app:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.msg.nexus5app

Follow the instructions for Rooting your phone, once you have, move on to step 2.

2. download and install the following App for modifying the database to include the tether entry.

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.sqleditor

3. Using the SQL editor, open it, click on the "Apps" tab, scroll down and find "Settings Storage" it has a little grey scrocket/gear for it's icon, click that.

4. On the next screen touch Settings DB, then the next screen click the + and in the screen that pops up, for the name field enter "teather_dun_required" and the value set to 0, save your changes then restart your phone.

5. After your phone restarts, download a fresh new install ONLY from the Google Play store of PDAnet, pay for the full version, I've been using PDANet across MANY different phones, platforms and such and I've only ever had to pay once for the full version, fully worth the $15. Version should be 4.15.4, enter what ever SSID or wifi network name you like, just no spaces, and only letters and numbers, case is unimportant generally, enter a passphrase, (password is case sensative), letters or numbers.

6. Restart your phone, fireup PDANet, enable the wireless hotspot, and away you go.

If you follow these steps and got it to work where you had failed before, let me know. If you still couldn't get it to work, let me know that as well. Please remember, for the BEST chance of success, do a full factory STOCK reset of your phone with the orginal T-Mobile/Nexus 5 android image, a.k.a KitKat 4.4, then install the nexus app,

Most of us have only done the settings.db fix and to tether to a PC browser, the user agent fix. I don't think it's a good idea that you keep recommending people do unnecessary stuff and pay for apps they don't need. You can even edit the settings.db file on a PC for free. Worse, recommending a factory reset should not be but the very last option. Those for whom tethering is not working still haven't gone through basic troubleshooting. As we can tell by the latest posts asking for help, the settings.db fix is not obvious cause it's not mentioned in the OP, so they hadn't done it.

Reactions: TheDannemand

droidgirly

Mar 4, 2014
Works on computer and mobile just not thru a PlayStation 4.

I'm only saying the apps I used to do it, if you can get the phone rooted, and the db fix done otherways, more power to you, post the tutorial and we'll build a good solid totally free option, I'd be totally down with that. I took the quick easy root and shelled out $20, but that's just me.

Fact of the matter remains, the correct process is,

1. root phone
2. edit settings.db
3. reboot phone
4. install tether program/wi fi sharing /foxfi, or what ever tether program you prefer.

andy o

May 6, 2012
There are already instructions in the thread, but they're buried. Just searching for settings.db should yield a solution though. The hardest part is to know how to edit the file and there are already several alternatives, but what yakman66 came up with first worked for me and many others.

TheDannemand

Feb 12, 2008
@droidgirly: I agree with andy o.

As much as I applaud efforts to share experience on these forums, I am getting a little tired of your continued proclamations of newly found discoveries, that are unnecessary -- and some outright wrong -- and which give new readers of the thread a wrong impression.

Seriously, I'd recommend new readers to just scan through this thread from the beginning. After a few pages you'll understand what's going on and how to enable tethering -- both rooted (yakman on page 7) and unrooted (rcauvin on page 12, sums it all up). You'll spend less time just doing a little bit of reading instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

Personally I used the ADB command at the end of rcauvin's document (which has been shared many times here) and changed my APN to IPv6/IPv4. Everything has worked since (it didn't work before): It works with or without user agent change, in Chrome, IE, Safari and in various other programs (TCP). I'm on the $30 prepaid 100 min 5GB plan.

Edit: I should add this: The last thing I want is to discourage you from sharing. That's the part you're doing right! Just study a little more what others have posted first, maybe ask a few questions. I guarantee you the information you share will be received better.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoronaDelux

nbowser22

Feb 1, 2013
Chardon
I have the T-mobile $30 unlimited prepaid plan and I ran into the tethering block after getting my Nexus 5.

I was able to work around the issue by modifying the following sqlite database (you'll need root):
/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

You need to add a new entry to the global table called "tether_dun_required" with a value of 0.

It looks like you need to do this because some configuration data was added to Android for T-mobile that forwards tethered data to this APN: pcweb.tmobile.com
T-mobile is probably checking to see if your account has tethering enabled when you go through this APN.

After I made this change I also needed to change my APN settings so that it uses ipv4 instead of ipv6. It seems like tethering with ipv6 does not work 100% yet.

I hope this helps.

Any info on actually how to insert the new entry into the table will be very helpful. No matter which editor I use, I can not figure out how to add a new line.

kcsims

Apr 1, 2014
I'm only saying the apps I used to do it, if you can get the phone rooted, and the db fix done otherways, more power to you, post the tutorial and we'll build a good solid totally free option, I'd be totally down with that. I took the quick easy root and shelled out $20, but that's just me.

Fact of the matter remains, the correct process is,

1. root phone
2. edit settings.db
3. reboot phone
4. install tether program/wi fi sharing /foxfi, or what ever tether program you prefer.

Couple of questions if someone could help;

I did everything no problems.
Do you have to install a tether program or can you use the tether built into the settings?

I plan on tethering my nexus 7 only to this, are there any user agent or other settings I should change on the 7?

Last, is there any difference at all doing tethering this way versus a ROM like CM or Slimrom?

Thanks.

akmsr

Dec 4, 2013
DeLand, Florida
Couple of questions if someone could help;

I did everything no problems.
Do you have to install a tether program or can you use the tether built into the settings?
you can do whatever you want. most of the people here are using the built in tether.
I plan on tethering my nexus 7 only to this, are there any user agent or other settings I should change on the 7?
if you use the chrome browser then no. but any other like firefox will require a user agent switcher. no other setting change is necessary.
Last, is there any difference at all doing tethering this way versus a ROM like CM or Slimrom?
no. but most of the rooted phones with custom rom does not require a UA switcher.
Thanks.
answers are in bold after your questions.

Reactions: xavierfox42

kcsims

Apr 1, 2014
answers are in bold after your questions.

Thanks for your help. Everything works great, I was just Wanting to double check everything.

I saw that the nexus 7 chrome browser does report that it is a nexus 7, so I changed it to match the nexus 5 just in case. I really don't want to give at&t a reason to take my unlimited plan away.

On that note, does anyone have experience with tethering like this on at&t unlimited or otherwise?

Thanks again!

csmoore88

May 1, 2011
I use the flashable zip. THABKS!! Verizon revoked my unlimited data on my other phone that WAS my mobile hotspot. They retroactively charged me hundreds in overage data for what was already used. I fought hard and lost. This fixes my T-MOBILE.

In my case it reports MHS usage unless I use CM11 privacy guard. Just FYI. Thanks again

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

akmsr

Dec 4, 2013
DeLand, Florida
I use the flashable zip. THABKS!! Verizon revoked my unlimited data on my other phone that WAS my mobile hotspot. They retroactively charged me hundreds in overage data for what was already used. I fought hard and lost. This fixes my T-MOBILE.

In my case it reports MHS usage unless I use CM11 privacy guard. Just FYI. Thanks again

one word prepaid. thumb your nose at those contracts. i average 50 GB a month for 60$ unlimited everything.

FuMMoD

Recognized Contributor
Mar 11, 2009
South Florida
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Does anyone know how to fix the error when I try to tether? It was working fine a few days ago and it just stopped working. I have all the settings set up correctly. I've done everything to enable tethering prior to the error.

uploadfromtaptalk1396627955321.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1396628044441.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1396628059130.jpg

TheDannemand

Feb 12, 2008
Does anyone know how to fix the error when I try to tether? It was working fine a few days ago and it just stopped working. I have all the settings set up correctly. I've done everything to enable tethering prior to the error.

Try and change your APN Protocol to IPv4/IPv6 and set your APN Roaming Protocol to IPv4. That has worked for me, with and without UA change and with a number of different devices (PCs, Macs, Androids).

Of course you need to have tether_dun_required=0 as well, but I assume you already had that. Otherwise see rcauvin's document in post #119.

Last edited:

FuMMoD

Recognized Contributor
Mar 11, 2009
South Florida
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Try and change your APN Protocol to IPv4/IPv6 and set your APN Roaming Protocol to IPv4. That has worked for me, with and without UA change and with a number of different devices (PCs, Macs, Androids).

Of course you need to have tether_dun_required=0 as well, but I assume you already had that. Otherwise see rcauvin's document in post #119.

Did you see my screenshots? Everything you wrote is already there in the pictures. I have all the settings set up correctly. It was working a few days ago and no settings changed and it stopped working. Everything is setup already and I've read everything pertaining to the tether unblock for the Nexus 5. Like I stated in my previous posts everything is setup for tethering.

Last edited:

TheDannemand

Feb 12, 2008
Did you see my screenshots? Everything you wrote is already there in the pictures. I have all the settings set up correctly. It was working a few days ago and no settings changed and it stopped working. Everything is setup already and I've read everything pertaining to the tether unblock for the Nexus 5. Like I stated in my previous posts everything is setup for tethering.

Yes, I saw your screenshots, and your APN Protocol and APN Roaming Protocol settings are NOT set as I suggested. That is why I posted it. Take a closer look.

Of course I don't know that that is the cause of your problems, it could be something else. I just know that I, too, was unable to tether. And after adding tether_dun_required=0 and making those APN settings (following rcauvin's document in post #119) I have had zero problems for 3+ months, using several different devices (Win8, Win7, MacOS, Android tablet). I have used various browsers both with and without UA changes, as well as a number of other data heavy applications. I am on the $30 prepaid 100min 5GB plan.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the T-mobile $30 unlimited prepaid plan and I ran into the tethering block after getting my Nexus 5.

I was able to work around the issue by modifying the following sqlite database (you'll need root):
    /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

You need to add a new entry to the global table called "tether_dun_required" with a value of 0.

It looks like you need to do this because some configuration data was added to Android for T-mobile that forwards tethered data to this APN: pcweb.tmobile.com
    T-mobile is probably checking to see if your account has tethering enabled when you go through this APN.

After I made this change I also needed to change my APN settings so that it uses ipv4 instead of ipv6. It seems like tethering with ipv6 does not work 100% yet.

I hope this helps.
    I know you guys already have a few ways to add tether_dun_required = 0 to settings.db, but I just thought I'd make a flashable zip for those that want it. All credit goes to yakman66. If you are going to thank this post, please thank his first.

To install, download the installer ZIP to your device, flash from recovery and reboot. An uninstaller is also available.

For more information, see GitHub.

Downloads:
    1.0 Installer
    1.0 uninstaller

Let me know how it goes.
    Headsup: I didn't look deeper into the issue as it doesn't affect me, just thought I'd drop some ideas which might help to make the process of manually editing the sqlite db simpler :fingers-crossed:

I'm not sure if this works in the tethering context, but you could try to insert the value via adb:
    Code:
    adb shell content insert --uri content://settings/global --bind name:s:tether_dun_required --bind value:i:0
    Or open a terminal emulator and execute that line (without the adb shell part).

Edit: confirmed working!
    Edit2: I've changed system to global in the above command. It doesn't really matter as both places will be correctly read, but global is the correct one according to the doc.

As an alternative one could easily create a flashable zip which adds the dun line.
    See here for instructions:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1621602
    (it's probably best to ship the sqlite binary within the flashable zip and reference it as stock ROMs don't have it included)
    Step-by-Step Guide to Enabling Nexus 5 Tethering and Hotspot

Based on what I read in this thread and other sources, and after a lot of trial and error getting everything to work yesterday, I've compiled the following guide to working around the problems some T-Mobile users are having with Nexus 5 tethering and hotspots:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Wso8Cb3rU0DApFe2lg5RcMrelAEoYY-fZ4MAghnIuqs/edit?usp=sharing

Feedback and corrections are welcome.