Nexus 5x Battery Life Thread

Search This thread

-sandro-

May 6, 2011
Pescara, Italy
vimeo.com
Is it normal that while I'm steady I get great battery life on standby (wifi or data doesn't matter) instead while i drive or walk the battery life just drops drastically? I have location, google now, google location history all off even WiFi is manually off. Today I did a 6h drive (as a passenger) and I came back home with 1h of screen time and 30% left, basically 50% was used while driving in standby. Unacceptable. I also tried to force Doze while walking once and it doesn't change anything. Is it possible changing cells so quickly destroyes the battery life while connected on data? My friends iPhone of course is stuck at 100% in the meantime.

andreim3

Dec 8, 2011
Something is wrong with my phone!
With 21% of battery I've had an 81 minutes of SOT. Never happeend to me something like this, not when I use or mobile data.

I use elementX kernel with hawk tail 1.2 on a pure nexus custom rom.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170414-181519.png
    Screenshot_20170414-181519.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 278
  • Screenshot_20170414-181447.png
    Screenshot_20170414-181447.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 275
  • Screenshot_20170414-181733.png
    Screenshot_20170414-181733.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 277

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Something is wrong with my phone!
With 21% of battery I've had an 81 minutes of SOT. Never happeend to me something like this, not when I use or mobile data.

I use elementX kernel with hawk tail 1.2 on a pure nexus custom rom.

But wouldn't that equal to over 6 hours of SOT if you kept going? Sounds great to me.

Reactions: amir7777

andreim3

Dec 8, 2011
But wouldn't that equal to over 6 hours of SOT if you kept going? Sounds great to me.

I hope that. I finally found a good configuration of battery life. 6h SOT will not be possible today because I played on my way home a game and it sucked my battery. Still 2:30h SOT and I have 50%. I hope now that this configuration keep working.

amir7777

Sep 22, 2012
I hope that. I finally found a good configuration of battery life. 6h SOT will not be possible today because I played on my way home a game and it sucked my battery. Still 2:30h SOT and I have 50%. I hope now that this configuration keep working.

Can you share your new configuration please?

EstiR86

Sep 11, 2016
Oil City
Can you share your new configuration please?

Configurations don't matter alot. Of course if you use some governor profile you can squeeze an extra 45 mins of life but what really helps is lowering your screen brightness! It's an LCD screen so it used 2x-8x more power after it reaches the 60% mark. Keep it under 15 % and manually increase in sunlight and you will get battery life that's amazing. Also It seems that Dirty Unicorn ROM consistently offers more battery life than stock and Pure Nexus. Here are my results using Butterfly profile with Phasma kernel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170414-145026.png
    Screenshot_20170414-145026.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 254

amir7777

Sep 22, 2012
Configurations don't matter alot. Of course if you use some governor profile you can squeeze an extra 45 mins of life but what really helps is lowering your screen brightness! It's an LCD screen so it used 2x-8x more power after it reaches the 60% mark. Keep it under 15 % and manually increase in sunlight and you will get battery life that's amazing. Also It seems that Dirty Unicorn ROM consistently offers more battery life than stock and Pure Nexus. Here are my results using Butterfly profile with Phasma kernel.
Thanks a lot!
And how is the DU ROM making a difference in battery life? Thought only the kernel makes a tiny difference

EstiR86

Sep 11, 2016
Oil City
Thanks a lot!
And how is the DU ROM making a difference in battery life? Thought only the kernel makes a tiny difference

I don't know exactly why the ROM itself is better than let's say PureNexus at battery I believe it's due to the commits they do and how it's optimized. I ran PureNexus for months but you can definitely feel a difference in battery when compared to Dirty Unicorn. The kernel also makes a difference on pure stock DU I was getting roughly 5 hours on screen time, with the kernel, thermal throttling tweaks, ram management tweaks I'm getting just a bit over 6 hours. This is been the usual since like a week ago ever seen DU updated to 7.1.2 .

La Grande

Jul 29, 2012
Mahallat
I don't know exactly why the ROM itself is better than let's say PureNexus at battery I believe it's due to the commits they do and how it's optimized. I ran PureNexus for months but you can definitely feel a difference in battery when compared to Dirty Unicorn. The kernel also makes a difference on pure stock DU I was getting roughly 5 hours on screen time, with the kernel, thermal throttling tweaks, ram management tweaks I'm getting just a bit over 6 hours. This is been the usual since like a week ago ever seen DU updated to 7.1.2 .

Hey , would you tell me about your kernel and tweaks? That would be nice . Im on du 7.1.2 with unicorn blood kernel by default

EstiR86

Sep 11, 2016
Oil City
Hey , would you tell me about your kernel and tweaks? That would be nice . Im on du 7.1.2 with unicorn blood kernel by default

I've been using the latest build of Phasma Kernel using the Butterfly profile. I changed io to Zen and read ahead to 2048k, I also changed entropy to be around 33%, Westwood west used instead of cubic and IPA wakeclock is turned off.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Seems WiFi idle drain remains worse over long periods of idle than with mobile data for me, not something I expect to change with Android O.

Stock 7.1.2 OTA, 30% manual brightness, only Locations and BT disabled.

Attachments

• 1f5u98g.png
    1f5u98g.png
    143 KB · Views: 451
  • KUWGSju.png
    KUWGSju.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 460
  • FdYZRLc.png
    FdYZRLc.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 464
  • LuDTY19.png
    LuDTY19.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 450

alirezaircn

Jul 16, 2008
Shenzhen
I've been using the latest build of Phasma Kernel using the Butterfly profile. I changed io to Zen and read ahead to 2048k, I also changed entropy to be around 33%, Westwood west used instead of cubic and IPA wakeclock is turned off.

I just flashed Phasma kernel. How did you applied Butterfly profile and did all those changes? Sorry for dummy question.

lfuentes

Nov 5, 2013
I´ve get 4:42 (20% Battery left) SoT, Stock 7.1.2
(Bluetooth Off, GPS High Accuracy, WiFi On, Mobile Data On)

Attachments

• 0002.png
    0002.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,261
  • 0001.png
    0001.png
    129.3 KB · Views: 1,253

Max2mus

Jan 11, 2011
Moscow
Hi! I have been experiencing weird battery drains recently, it can be something close to 30% overnight.
I tried detecting wakelocks with Batter Battery Stats and Wakelock Detector but had no luck. Also tried to change location modes and turn it completely - no luck (nlpwakelock dissapears but no change in battery life)
Currently after a completely clean flash (maybe a week ago) I'm using latest SAOSP with EX Kernel and glasscannon profile but the problem still remains.
Before that I tried different kernels (franco, EX, stock etc), tried lots of profiles, was on PureNexus 7.1.1 - nothing helped.
Also started to use greenify with aggressive doze - still no luck. The phone sleeps but battery is bad..

I'm pretty sure it is not supposed to lose that much battery overnight and actually a long time ago it was completely fine.

I am posting some overnight stats pictures from BBS and WD. Can anyone please give me any ideas what can cause this battery drain?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    171.6 KB · Views: 977
  • 2.png
    2.png
    214.7 KB · Views: 956
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 946
  • 4.png
    4.png
    215 KB · Views: 911
  • 7.png
    7.png
    179 KB · Views: 851
  • 8.png
    8.png
    254.1 KB · Views: 839
  • 5.png
    5.png
    141.7 KB · Views: 875
  • 6.png
    6.png
    207 KB · Views: 838

CazeW

Nov 14, 2008
Hi! I have been experiencing weird battery drains recently, it can be something close to 30% overnight.
I tried detecting wakelocks with Batter Battery Stats and Wakelock Detector but had no luck. Also tried to change location modes and turn it completely - no luck (nlpwakelock dissapears but no change in battery life)
Currently after a completely clean flash (maybe a week ago) I'm using latest SAOSP with EX Kernel and glasscannon profile but the problem still remains.
Before that I tried different kernels (franco, EX, stock etc), tried lots of profiles, was on PureNexus 7.1.1 - nothing helped.
Also started to use greenify with aggressive doze - still no luck. The phone sleeps but battery is bad..

I'm pretty sure it is not supposed to lose that much battery overnight and actually a long time ago it was completely fine.

I am posting some overnight stats pictures from BBS and WD. Can anyone please give me any ideas what can cause this battery drain?
Thanks!

Tried with turning WiFi off for the night? You can also try putting the phone in flight mode for the night. If it still drains that fast, it could be a hardware problem like I had.

-sandro-

May 6, 2011
Pescara, Italy
vimeo.com
I hear you, it sucks when you get no wakelocks and the battery drains anyway... Can you try clear the cache and dalvik? it helped sometimes. What hardware problem @CazeW?
Please let us know what you discover.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think the best test without actually having the phone yet is to compare the battery life of the Nexus 5X to the original Nexus 5 of 2013 under the same test conditions.

The Ars Technica test showed the Nexus 5 getting 400 minutes and the Nexus 5X getting 548 minutes using the same test. That is a 37% improvement of the Nexus 5X compared to the Nexus 5.

The Phone Arena test showed the Nexus 5 getting 4 hr 50 min and the Nexus 5X getting 6 hr 25 min using the same test. That is a 33% improvement of the Nexus 5X compared to the Nexus 5.

Nexus 5 battery life (Ars Technica):
    http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Nexus-5-review.012.png

Nexus 5X battery life (Ars Technica):
    http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...view-chart-template-final-full-width.0121.jpg

Nexus 5 battery life (Phone Arena):
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Golden-middle-our-Nexus-5-battery-life-test-is-here_id49127

Nexus 5X battery life (Phone Arena):
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-Nexus-5X-battery-life-test-results-are-out_id74852

Based on those comparisons I'd expect the Nexus 5X to get about 35% better battery life compared to the Nexus 5 during actual usage. When I first got my Nexus 5 I was getting just barely 4 hours screen on time. At a 35% increase the Nexus 5X should get like 5.5 hours screen on time.

I can live with that. Plus, stand by time should be improved with Doze.

My Nexus 5X is coming late next week. I'll just have to wait and see how it goes.
    No need to do a complete drain and full charge cycle on modern batteries. That's a relic from old times. Actually it's best not to let the battery drain completely.

Hi

Do any of you feel that having ambient display on will hurt the battery. I've held my phone upside down (like it would be in my pocket) and I can shake the phone and get the screen on. So, I'm wondering how often it's turning on in my pocket.

From what I can tell when the phone is covered ambient display doesn't come on as the proximity sensor knows it is covered up, try it with your hand over the sensor and pick up the phone, no ambient display, so no it will not turn on in your pocket, happy days. :D

Regards

Phil

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Hi

I'm not understanding how ambient display works anyway given the display is lcd. Highly inefficient no?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Ambient display is nothing new, you used to be able to set Android phones to turn the display on when a notification came through yonks ago, the only difference today is they can optimise the power draw on AMOLED displays by making it all black with white text, add features like pick up to wake etc.

For an LCD display you are correct in that ambient display uses the same power as if the screen was full on, but it is only on for a few seconds so overall isn't going to make very much difference, and if it is on a desk or table and we can see the notification isn't important, we've saved some power anyway from not going into the phone and reading it. I'm pretty sure as well doze mode will turn off ambient display, so it's not lighting up at night when the phone has been idle for a while and we are unlikely to be with it, plus it doesn't operate when it's in a pocket or covered case.

If we say ambient display is on for 4 seconds and it gets triggered 100 times a day (unlikely for most), that's around 7 minutes taken from our screen on time, so probably not noticeable overall, but if that has saved us turning on the phone and reading irrelevant messages some of the time, we've probably broken even or gained some.

Just enjoy the feature I say and not worry about battery power.

Regards

Phil
    I find it pretty disappointing. Mine is coming next week but if that's the kind of battery life if get I'll likely send it back. Can't even managed a full 4 hours of real usage?

Wow. I'd suggest cancelling the order now. Ended up with almost 4.5 hours of SOT, and it far exceeds my expectation.

Really not sure what I would be doing to need more SOT. It's a phone.
    150 nits is how much on the brightness scale? 50%?

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50L using Tapatalk

PA showed the display on the 5X to have 487nits. So maybe 150 is about 31%?