• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Nexus 5x boot loop issues shoud i be worried that mine will do the same ?

Search This thread

moonlightdrive

Oct 5, 2015
Argentina
Hi, i guess that nobody could know that, but the problem seems to be the same as LG G4, LG V10, LG Flex 2 (all 2015 devices with almost the same motherboard that the Nexus 5x). You can search on the web "bootloop G4 reddit" "nexus 5x bootloop reddit" and you will find tons of reports, the majority of them (N5x) from last 3 months, and this holds the theory that is a welding issue on the CPU or sometimes on the EMMC chip (apparently LG did not weld very well that year...). The mentioned devices (included ours) seem to last from 9 to 14 months and finally the welding breaks. But now, we know it's strictly a HARDWARE issue NOT caused by 7.0 upgrade, irt's only a question of coincidence between the useful life of the weld and the launch of the 7.0 OTA.
So we all got very high possibilities that this occurs to our devices, eventually. I'm not sure that this is gonna happen to you, it really dependes of many many many factors (heavy usage, kernel profiles, temperature of your country/city/house/workplace, etc etc).
Maybe it never happens to you, but i know what you feel, is not very nice to feel that your phone could die in any moment. It was a low punch for me (i owned a G4 and it bootlooped twice) anyway i am going to sell my N5x due to this problem. Hope i help you with my point of view.

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
It is solder not weld.

Only Google/LG know how widespread the problem is on 5x.

My guess is it is far more than normally expected for phones but nowhere near as prevalent as posts on forums might make it seem.

So normally you might expect .01% of these types of solder problems. If the problem went up 100x to 1% and you sold 3m phones, that means 30,000 phones with the problem, whereas before you might only see 300.

30,000 people searching google and seeing other people posting about bootloop can start a panic.

If you actually had 10, 20, 30% of people with this problem you would have huge threads.

That's just my opinion.

moonlightdrive

Oct 5, 2015
Argentina
It is solder not weld.

My guess is it is far more than normally expected for phones but nowhere near as prevalent as posts on forums might make it seem.

So normally you might expect .01% of these types of solder problems. If the problem went up 100x to 1% and you sold 3m phones, that means 30,000 phones with the problem, whereas before you might only see 300.

30,000 people searching google and seeing other people posting about bootloop can start a panic.

If you actually had 10, 20, 30% of people with this problem you would have huge threads.

That's just my opinion.

If you said "It is solder not weld." for me, thanks i didn't know the correct word, english is not my native language (I only learn reading on forums), so i see that you know (or it seems) about solder problems. Look i had two LG G4 both of them die, but not just mine even a cousin had the same issue whit his G4, so i really want to know if you think that the 5x soldering problem is a similar case of high-end 2015 LG Phones G4/V10/FLEX2 (of that magnitude)? or if it's just a "paranoia", i mean we know that the bootlooping issue on this device exists but you would recommend me (i really like this phone) to keep it?
This issue got me really worried due to my bad experiencie with the G4. I just bought the N5x 1 month ago. thank you.

znayver

Jun 16, 2014
same question how to know if my phone will bootloop...i have my nexus 5x 5 week ago but i bay it not new i bay it used...i upgrade to android nougat no issus right now..ho to know if i will have a probleme in the future iam afraid now

Last edited:

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
i see that you know (or it seems) about solder problems. Look i had two LG G4 both of them die, but not just mine even a cousin had the same issue whit his G4, so i really want to know if you think that the 5x soldering problem is a similar case of high-end 2015 LG Phones G4/V10/FLEX2 (of that magnitude)? or if it's just a "paranoia", i mean we know that the bootlooping issue on this device exists but you would recommend me (i really like this phone) to keep it?
This issue got me really worried due to my bad experiencie with the G4. I just bought the N5x 1 month ago. thank you.
I've been dealing with substandard solder since xbox RROD (red ring of death) where everyone was trying to get their xbox cpu reballed until microsoft admitted the problem.

As I mentioned, I'm sure the incident on 5x is much higher than normal phones, but that might still be a low % (even though it is a relatively high absolute # because of the # of phones that are sold)

I have no idea whether 5x is worse, better, or same as G4 problem. G4 seemed even higher, but could be because more phones were sold. Only LG knows for sure.

A lot of folks in US are finding that their credit card actually extends their warranty beyond manufacturers warranty and people will probably get their money back that way if all else fails.

Of course that doesn't help you if you are traveling and the phone dies. I end up using Google Fi as the service provider for this phone, so if that happened I could just shift all the calls and texts to another phone or tablet and keep going until I get a replacement phone, so I'm not super worried.

I regularly back up the stuff on my phone so the most I would lose is like 1 or 2 days of stuff, which I can deal with.

Personally I wouldn't be super worried this is going to happen to you, but be prepared with backups in case it does, but that is good practice for any phone, because it could always get stolen or drop and break.

Reactions: moonlightdrive

mcerk02

Jan 21, 2011
Slatington, PA
Hello guys i've been seeing a lot of boot loop news and lg starting to refund people because they don't have spare parts : http://www.mobilechoiceuk.com/News/...offering-refunds-instead-of-replacements.aspx .
So should I be worried that my 5x will boot loop ? I've been using it for 2 months now on 7.0 september update .

I got my 5X a month ago.... I figure it has a 1 yr warranty so I am not too worried yet.... Lets hope if it happens it does it in the next 11 months

znayver

Jun 16, 2014
please someone tell me how to know if my phone nexus 5x will have bootloop.i bay this phone not new but used .i bay it from a shop he tell me is from usa and me from morroco.i dont have any paper of warranty or something like this i just have the phone...if the bootloop issus touch my phone what can i do?i have the warranty or not???i dont have mony to buy a new phone please help me :(

Tarbruh

Sep 6, 2016
please someone tell me how to know if my phone nexus 5x will have bootloop.i bay this phone not new but used .i bay it from a shop he tell me is from usa and me from morroco.i dont have any paper of warranty or something like this i just have the phone...if the bootloop issus touch my phone what can i do?i have the warranty or not???i dont have mony to buy a new phone please help me :(

Well from what I know if you don't have warranty paper then you can't get warranty by just showing the phone . Its not a 100% chance that it will boot loop I think , but if your not safe with it I suggest selling it working rather than looking for help when broken . Thats just my point of view .

Tarbruh

Sep 6, 2016
Hi, i guess that nobody could know that, but the problem seems to be the same as LG G4, LG V10, LG Flex 2 (all 2015 devices with almost the same motherboard that the Nexus 5x). You can search on the web "bootloop G4 reddit" "nexus 5x bootloop reddit" and you will find tons of reports, the majority of them (N5x) from last 3 months, and this holds the theory that is a welding issue on the CPU or sometimes on the EMMC chip (apparently LG did not weld very well that year...). The mentioned devices (included ours) seem to last from 9 to 14 months and finally the welding breaks. But now, we know it's strictly a HARDWARE issue NOT caused by 7.0 upgrade, irt's only a question of coincidence between the useful life of the weld and the launch of the 7.0 OTA.
So we all got very high possibilities that this occurs to our devices, eventually. I'm not sure that this is gonna happen to you, it really dependes of many many many factors (heavy usage, kernel profiles, temperature of your country/city/house/workplace, etc etc).
Maybe it never happens to you, but i know what you feel, is not very nice to feel that your phone could die in any moment. It was a low punch for me (i owned a G4 and it bootlooped twice) anyway i am going to sell my N5x due to this problem. Hope i help you with my point of view.

Well I think i have the same point of view to sell the phone working rather that having a paper holder . At least for me its the most logical thing to do maybe the chance isn't high for it to happen but I am not secure with a tought that my phone could die + im a heavy user so i migh make it to the boot loop faster .

znayver

Jun 16, 2014
Well from what I know if you don't have warranty paper then you can't get warranty by just showing the phone . Its not a 100% chance that it will boot loop I think , but if your not safe with it I suggest selling it working rather than looking for help when broken . Thats just my point of view .
oooh nooo :( is there an application or something to know if the motherboard is fine or something like this and the bootloop dont affected my device??

Tarbruh

Sep 6, 2016
oooh nooo :( is there an application or something to know if the motherboard is fine or something like this and the bootloop dont affected my device??

Well I don't know if there is or not but from what I know about the problem its random af , so I don't think there is unless only some motherboards are prone to the defect but I think it involves all , just happens randomly . Not 100% sure tho !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It is solder not weld.

That's just my opinion.
    i see that you know (or it seems) about solder problems. Look i had two LG G4 both of them die, but not just mine even a cousin had the same issue whit his G4, so i really want to know if you think that the 5x soldering problem is a similar case of high-end 2015 LG Phones G4/V10/FLEX2 (of that magnitude)? or if it's just a "paranoia", i mean we know that the bootlooping issue on this device exists but you would recommend me (i really like this phone) to keep it?
    I've been dealing with substandard solder since xbox RROD (red ring of death) where everyone was trying to get their xbox cpu reballed until microsoft admitted the problem.

As I mentioned, I'm sure the incident on 5x is much higher than normal phones, but that might still be a low % (even though it is a relatively high absolute # because of the # of phones that are sold)

I have no idea whether 5x is worse, better, or same as G4 problem. G4 seemed even higher, but could be because more phones were sold. Only LG knows for sure.

A lot of folks in US are finding that their credit card actually extends their warranty beyond manufacturers warranty and people will probably get their money back that way if all else fails.

Of course that doesn't help you if you are traveling and the phone dies. I end up using Google Fi as the service provider for this phone, so if that happened I could just shift all the calls and texts to another phone or tablet and keep going until I get a replacement phone, so I'm not super worried.

I regularly back up the stuff on my phone so the most I would lose is like 1 or 2 days of stuff, which I can deal with.

Personally I wouldn't be super worried this is going to happen to you, but be prepared with backups in case it does, but that is good practice for any phone, because it could always get stolen or drop and break.