Nexus 5X has Qualcomm SMB1358 Quick Charge 2.0 IC on logic board?

Search This thread

Rektifying

Aug 26, 2015
Hello,

I read in an article somewhere that the Nexus 5X has Qualcomm Quick Charge capabilities on the hardware side, but not on the software side. It also stated that this possible could be activated in the future. For the life of me I can not find the article now, but I did hop over to the tear down page that iFixit did on the Nexus 5X. Sure enough, the 5X does have the Quick Charge 2.0 chip on the logic board.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus+5X+Teardown/51318

I'm not sure what this means exactly. Isn't USB C pretty much as fast / faster than QC 2.0? Or, would QC 2.0 via USB C be even faster?

_jordan_

Oct 2, 2013
This phone will never see qc. Google is all about open standards which is why it has usbc and can charge at 3amps.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

jmkhenka

Jun 1, 2009
God can people just stop with quickcharge?

The device is charging at 15W at max allready, and thats just for a short while. The majority of time charging is spent under 10W (2A).

QC is not magic and wont make a difference for N5X. My M8 with QC and the same battery capacity charges nearly identicaly as to my N5X (same battery capacity), it just goes 9v for a shorter while but the total wattage never goes above 15w for QC charger.

vCoast

Oct 25, 2015
I feel like the desire for qualcomm quick charge is so that people can use the wall plugs and car chargers they already own because the adapters that actually support the usb c standard are few and far between or really expensive from Google, it's not about which one is better or faster.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Darkknight512

Jun 17, 2012
That chip is a power management IC with QC features, does not mean LG/Google even hooked up the wires required to use it or put in the additional components that might be nessasary to make it work. I don't think Qualcomm publicly releases data sheets so we can't know but I doubt the hardware as a whole supports it.

vCoast

Oct 25, 2015
In case anyone is interested. I have a Quick Charge 2.0 certified car charger and it works with my 5X. It enables "Charging rapidly". Same thing with my Note 4 rapid charger. Both work fine.

Hove you looked at the actual charging rate at all? Just because "charging rapidly" does not mean it is truly charging as fast as it should.
Sent from my Nexus 5X

Reactions: banksc

lohanchien

Dec 15, 2007
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Nexus 5
Hove you looked at the actual charging rate at all? Just because "charging rapidly" does not mean it is truly charging as fast as it should.
Sent from my Nexus 5X

I'm gonna answer this even though I don't appreciate your tone. So I'm doing it for the benefit of others. Yes it does charge at a fast rate with all three chargers (stock, Samsung Fast Charger, and QC 2.0 charger). About 1-3% per min and it slows down, as it should, when above 80%.

And "Charging rapidly" wouldn't get triggered if the power management charging circuitry didn't detect that the charger had the proper dynamic output voltages/currents, with the power output being P(t)=V(t)*I(t). Your "rapid charger" will have two pairs of output ratings for current and voltage (some have 3).

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...-need-to-know-about-charging-your-smartphone/

vCoast

Oct 25, 2015
I'm gonna answer this even though I don't appreciate your tone. So I'm doing it for the benefit of others. Yes it does charge at a fast rate with all three chargers (stock, Samsung Fast Charger, and QC 2.0 charger). About 1-3% per min and it slows down, as it should, when above 80%.

And "Charging rapidly" wouldn't get triggered if the power management charging circuitry didn't detect that the charger had the proper dynamic output voltages/currents, with the power output being P(t)=V(t)*I(t). Your "rapid charger" will have two pairs of output ratings for current and voltage (some have 3).

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...-need-to-know-about-charging-your-smartphone/

I'm not trying to be mean and I did not intend to have a negative tone so I'm sorry for that, I just wanted to see the actual numbers when using that charger you mentioned and see how they compare to the OEM charger because from what I have read charging rapidly is faster than normal but has a very wide range that can trigger at much lower charging speeds than the OEM charger.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Ireul

Nov 29, 2015
All of my testing on "charging rapidly" indicates that the phone is charging at 2.1A, not QC 2.0.

I suspect most QC 2.0 chargers offer 2.1A charging for when an iPad is connected, to prevent the user from returning the charger because it didn't charge their iPad. Google probably exploited that by simply telling the Nexus 5X to accept the iPad 2.1A handshake, which doesn't require QC 2.0 to be enabled.

It is possible QC 2.0 is just disabled in the baseband, but considering the backlash that Google got... I suspect they would have at least committed to enabling it, if that were an option.

Reactions: vCoast

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In case anyone is interested. I have a Quick Charge 2.0 certified car charger and it works with my 5X. It enables "Charging rapidly". Same thing with my Note 4 rapid charger. Both work fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5X
    All of my testing on "charging rapidly" indicates that the phone is charging at 2.1A, not QC 2.0.

I suspect most QC 2.0 chargers offer 2.1A charging for when an iPad is connected, to prevent the user from returning the charger because it didn't charge their iPad. Google probably exploited that by simply telling the Nexus 5X to accept the iPad 2.1A handshake, which doesn't require QC 2.0 to be enabled.

It is possible QC 2.0 is just disabled in the baseband, but considering the backlash that Google got... I suspect they would have at least committed to enabling it, if that were an option.