• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Nexus 5X specs, underwhelmed

Search This thread

clninja

Jun 25, 2011
Denver
Well the 6P does have a huge 3450 mAh battery. 28% larger than the 5X. Even with the bigger screen, more pixels, and the 810, it should have some better on screen time. That would be very disappointing for 6P owners if it was only the same.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S5.

i have no doubt in my mind that the 5x and 6p will have either the same screen on time or the 5x will have better.

the bigger battery is there for a reason. that huge 2k screen rapes battery life. especially at that larger screen size. my last two phones were 2k screens and the screen on time battery life is garbage compared to 1080p screens

on that note. poeple who bought the 6p bought it for things other than the battery. i dont think anyone bought the 6p because they think battery life will be better

Last edited:

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
i have no doubt in my mind that the 5x and 6p will have either the same screen on time or the 5x will have better.

the bigger battery is there for a reason. that huge 2k screen rapes battery life. especially at that larger screen size. my last two phones were 2k screens and the screen on time battery life is garbage compared to 1080p screens

on that note. poeple who bought the 6p bought it for things other than the battery. i dont think anyone bought the 6p because they think battery life will be better
Actually that's one of the reasons a lot of people buy larger versions. The Note 5, 6 Edge Plus, and 6 Plus all have better life than their smaller ones.

Last edited:

ghettopops

Mar 6, 2006
I cancelled my 6P order and nabbed a 5x. I currently have a 1+2 and to be honest I really don't have a need to go larger. One of the reasons I loved my N5 was form factor. I want the 5x go replace my 5 and will keep my 1+2 for the larger screen.

clninja

Jun 25, 2011
Denver
Actually that's one of the reasons a lot of people buy larger versions. The Note 5, 6 Edge Plus, and 6 Plus all have better life than their smaller ones.

thats not an accurate comparison though. all of those phones do have better battery life than their smaller versions. BUT with those models, the larger and the smaller verisons both use the same 2k screen type.

people dont realise how much of a difference the 2k screen makes on battery life.

i come from a nexus 6. it was common in the nexus 6 world for people with rooted phones to modify the screen resolution down to 1080p instead of the quad hd. doing this would practically double the battery life.

Reactions: huntnyc

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
thats not an accurate comparison though. all of those phones do have better battery life than their smaller versions. BUT with those models, the larger and the smaller verisons both use the same 2k screen type.

people dont realise how much of a difference the 2k screen makes on battery life.

i come from a nexus 6. it was common in the nexus 6 world for people with rooted phones to modify the screen resolution down to 1080p instead of the quad hd. doing this would practically double the battery life.
True. I just don't see something happening like the 5X having 4.5 hours SOT and the 6P having something less at 3.5 hours. Guess we'll just have to wait and see the reviews and battery tests.

fix-this!

Apr 15, 2012
midwest

the 6p despite the large battery wont last that long with the high display resolution.

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

I would be shocked if the 6p had better battery life than the 5x in terms on screen on time

1080p uses less battery than quadhd
Smaller screen uses less battery

Look at the LG g2 vs the LG g3 for example. Battery life on the g3 was shlt compared to the g2 because they added a bigger quad hd screen.

Standby time will most likely be better on the 6p though

yeah well the nexus 5 had some of the worst battery life ive ever seen on a smartphone.

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

Do not expect nexus 5 performance on n5x. 64 bit android is laging like hell on 2GB devices (nexus 9, moto x play etc). 3GB ram is a must for 64 bit android.

no 4gb is a must for x64, just as in computers.

clninja

Jun 25, 2011
Denver
To hear Google's estimates. They say 15 minutes of charging gives double the usage time on the 6P. I am betting the 6P is going to beat the 5X on battery life pretty handily. We'll see in official reviews.

they say that because of how fast charging works. it charges more rapidly at lower battery percentage. with the 6p having higher mah. it is in the fastest charging state for a longer period of time, therefore hitting a higher percentage off of that 15 minute charge. real world results are always different than a spec sheet

H0tep

Sep 23, 2015

Agreed. Huge battery, metal build, 3gn RAM. Those are why I'm getting it over the 5x. I might still grab both at some point, but 6p first

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
San Antonio
I was so hoping that Google would put a device that was true to the original nexus roots..I felt so let down by the N6

The specs of the N5X are mediocre at best.

16GB mem?

No wireless charging..c'mon..

Don't get me wrong - you're getting a fair bit for the money but I feel they've let the ball drop in a couple of key areas. Had they included those this phone would have smashed all the others..

6P is just way overpriced - huawei trying to get in at the top end of the market. It wont work.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

I agree Huawei is trying too hard to get into the high end before getting ahead on the lower side. I think the watch is overpriced and people don't have confidence in them yet. I have the HAM 2 and it has been a great midranger for me with ridiculous battery life and good performance. Only COC with xmod slows it down. But this phone is not high end priced. It is similarly spec'd to the S6 and Iphone 6s/6s plus, note 5, etc and quite a bit cheaper unless you catch those on sale. That's why I ordered it. I also want a legit google experience and CM is not what it used to be.

After having wireless charging for over 2 years, I've sworn to never buy a phone without it again.

It is a wireless phone!

The only time, and I mean the only time, I plug anything into my phone is when I'm flashing it.

Music? Bluetooth. (Or I use a FiiO)
Hands free? Bluetooth
Charging? The official nexus charger is on the side of my nightstand so I can see the phone if it goes off in the middle of the night, and the standard LG WCP-300 elsewhere.
Synchronizing data? Wifi. This happens automatically every night when I'm at home with the "syncme" app

I mean sheeet...I am quite aware the new usb-c is more rugged than micro-usb is, and less annoying since it plugs in every way...but once you charge your phone by just literally setting it down...you're so glad to never have to fish for that stupid cord again.

I even borrowed a router (the woodworking kind) and made a hole in my desk for the LG charger...it sits flush on my desk now and it's like it is never there.

Screw cords. It's 2015.

If a home cordless phone that I buy for $30 or even less can charge without fishing around for a stupid cable to plug in, than DAMMIT, my $400+ cell phone should be able to as well!

except no one has jumped on the wireless charging bandwagon except the nerds. I bought my kids the Droid DNA and the nokia fatboy pillows and they still rarely used it. Can't use the phone while charging for the most part and it takes forever to charge. Plug these phones in and they are saying 50% battery in like 30 minutes. Can't beat that if you need to add a little juice during the day. Wireless charging only works for those that sit at the same desk day in and day out.

Many users fall into two categories. Those who have never used it don't realize how convenient wireless charging can be. Many of us who use wireless charging regularly can't imagine buying a phone without it. Personal habits also factor into it.

In my case I made a stand that holds my charger and is on a small table next to my side of the bed. I normally go to bed after SWMBO so the room is dark. I set my phone on the dock, Dock Clock comes up and dims the screen to barely visible and turns off the notification LED. In the morning it is ready to go. I suppose I could get the same behavior using an NFC chip in a dock but I'd still be plugging in a cable in the dark.

I also have a nice Qi charger for my car. It's one of those that has the sticky surface and I just slap the phone on it. (Can't recall the name but there was a thread about it here.) One hand operation. My previous phone required a connector and if I wasn't careful pulling it out of the dock, it broke the dock.

Then what are the implications of leaving the fast charger plugged in over night. My understanding is that excessive time in the charger is not good for the battery so will excess time in a fast charger be worse?

2GB RAM is also a concern. As more phones come with 3 or 4 GB will the S/W come to expect that? S/W typically expands to use the resources available. Remember when 640K was a lot of RAM for Windows. ;) Android has actually gone in the opposite direction with effort to keep it viable for low resource devices for price sensitive markets, but the trend to use more resources is likely to return. Will 2GB be constraining two years from now?

Android is getting lighter and less resource intensive. Hopefully apps will do the same with the new dev tools released with lollipop where apps are more optimized. I think you have to give it a chance first. Personally, I've started ditching apps that kill my phone. Usually don't need them. And if I'm playing a game, I expect the phone to kill everything else so it can run properly.

32GB max... Are you joking? I need AT least 64GB if not more for all my media. And...2GB of ram? Why...? 2015 should of been the age of 4GB, 2 just makes no sense. You never go backwards in NEW tech.

And don't even get me started on the 2700mah baby battery... Same problem as the Moto X pure, batteries just TOO small still! The Nexus 6p finally has at least a decent sized battery...but they rip you off on the 128GB pricing. ( 32gb to 64gb = $50, but 64GB to 128GB is $100!!! wtf)

BUT...the 6P has a Pentile amoled...not full RGB. So no thank you.

what is the price bump between a 64gb micro sd and a 128gb micro sd? What is the performance hit on your phone when using micro sd? I see why google is getting away from it or now trying to merge it with the phone storage for one big area. I think this is the way to go.

Google are obviously trying to encourage people to buy the 6P - its a shame if they had taken a similar approach as Sony, they could have had a 5P and a 6P, similar key specs, with screen size being the main difference.

A 64GB 5P with 3GBs of RAM would have been perfect :D

Why? They are offering a nice phone that might be just a smidge over priced for those that want something smaller. My HAM 2 was 290 with snapdragon 405, 2GB RAM, 16GB storage, and 720p screen. Most companies are not loading top end specs into the smaller screened phones because then they would have to charge the high end prices and people would just get the bigger phone because it would be a better value.

There is nothing wrong with the N5X. It is not a bad phone.

My main problem with it is that it isn't a worthy upgrade for N5 users like myself. Maybe phone development has peaked. I started using smartphones back in '06 and everytime I upgraded after about 18 months, there was always a wow factor.

After almost 2 years with the N5, the N5X is just a massive disappointment for me. I would have even bought it if they just kept it the same size as the N5 or maybe a likkle bit smaller. Why dafuq did they have to make it so damn big?! :(

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

If they made it smaller, the battery would be smaller and y'all would be complaining even more about battery life. As long as you want legit multitasking, you need battery for that.

Yeah I came off rude, my bad. I just had this debate with another member about CM and I feel like people live in the past with that Rom. It's broke. It's always broke. It's never 100% stable and hasn't been for the last few versions (10,11,12,12.1). Snapshots are close, but there are still broken aspects. That's all I was saying.

The specs of the N5x don't really bother me as much as they did initially. I prefer not to have the most powerful screen gobbling my battery. I'd prefer to use the SD808 over the 810 and it's thermal issues. And I definitely would rather have a SD808 over a SD820, 825, or 900, as none of those chips have been released yet. Idk. It's hard to bash a phone before holding it yourself

---------- Post added at 02:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 AM ----------

You'll be waiting for weeks for the ota (on some occasions). Just fastboot flash the b1tch

Agreed. Flashed CM12 on my HAM2 and it rebooted anytime you taxed it and the BT audio was very soft to the point I thought my BT had finally died. Nope, it was the ROM.

I have to disagree, not as someone who deals with complaints at a store, but as someone who owned the phone for three months.
Obviously the hardware and build quality are WAY better than previous Sammy's, and I prefer their design to any other device, but that's obviously preference.
My S6 NEVER overheated, froze, or had ANY FCs. Yeah, the battery sucked big time, and HTC, LG, and Moto all kick it's ass in that department, but coming from a N5, it felt like a SLIGHT improvement.
Most people don't desire updates to their devices. Yeah Sammy sucks as far as that goes, but carriers suck with that too. And honestly, if the phone works, rapid updates aren't important unless your a geek like us.
I've had the same reception as I've had on all of my devices (I'm on at&t) so poor reception was not noticed, and in fact, the call quality was outstanding.
I also see you forgot to mention its best in class camera too.
Touchwiz does stutter. It always has and probably always will. But, we are talking minimal stutter. Animations are fluid throughout 95% of the OS, only being hiccuped by a couple of functions. Touchwiz has went (remember in my opinion) as an AWFUL skin, to probably the best manufacturer UI to date. I much prefer it over LGs Optimus UI and HTCs Sense.

Problem is that TW is Sammy software that should be smooth by now. Seeing lag on your homescreen is just a bad user experience even if everything else is flawless. Sad that Nova and other 3rd party launchers can get this right but Sammy can't.

I have a n5, on the official Marshmallow release. Let me tell you, I am glad for this update. Memory leak seems to be gone and it is smooth. I will keep playing with it, but for a phone only having 2GB and being smooth is a good sign

5X pros:
Works on Verizon, like you said
Better camera, both rear and front
Fingerprint scanner
Type C w/ fast charging
Front facing speaker
Android Hub (I feel this is key since it places sensor-related tasks onto a separate, low-power chip instead of on the SoC, potentially saving battery)
Updated Google Camera app (N5 Marshmallow release did not have it included)

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

S6 takes great pics, but it oversharpens them. Some pics look kind of...exaggerated and I don't like that. G4 is nice too, not far behind. Can't beat Lumia's one though

Is the marshmellow update a complete factory reset? I feel that these phones just need one every so often because stuff gets bloated and it needs a clean slate.

Do not expect nexus 5 performance on n5x. 64 bit android is laging like hell on 2GB devices (nexus 9, moto x play etc). 3GB ram is a must for 64 bit android.

Care to elaborate? From what I've read and heard, marshmellow on the N9 fixed the performance issues and its running like a champ. This is coming from the Android Central guys.

I would be shocked if the 6p had better battery life than the 5x in terms on screen on time

1080p uses less battery than quadhd
Smaller screen uses less battery

Look at the LG g2 vs the LG g3 for example. Battery life on the g3 was shlt compared to the g2 because they added a bigger quad hd screen.

Standby time will most likely be better on the 6p though

I agree. I'm wishing I could have gotten it in 1080p because I feel that QHD is overkill on any phone. If the phone didn't have quick charge capabilities, I think I might have waited. It's amazing the SOT I can get on the HAM2 with 720p screen and 4k mah battery.

Reactions: blinkin

H0tep

Sep 23, 2015
I was thinking of the same thing, but the mere fact of the size has me leaning towards the 5x. I have a G2 and really like the size of it.

I have huge hands (I'm 6'4" tall) and the g2, nexus 5, and s6 are perfect sized decices. Nexus 5X will fit that same bill. But the 6P isn't the N6. Its ergonomically better and will feel nicer like the iP6+. It will be the device I will end up wishing I had. 128gb storage, 3gb ram, aosp, dual ffs. Its a better device.

Those worried about Huawei being the manufacturer, remember LG was very mid to low range till the g2 and nexus 5. I wouldn't worry. Google is backing it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T707A using Tapatalk

Locklear308

Feb 6, 2012
Loganville
There is no performance drop from using a microSD card. This has been said 100s of time but is the biggest load of nonsense ever spoken. Plugging in the microSD does not magically cause the phone to instantly slow down. That's logicless.

clninja

Jun 25, 2011
Denver
There is no performance drop from using a microSD card. This has been said 100s of time but is the biggest load of nonsense ever spoken. Plugging in the microSD does not magically cause the phone to instantly slow down. That's logicless.

saving to the sd card is slower than saving to the internal memory.. thats fact. most notable in the camera when taking pictures.

however. marshmallow is supposed to fix this by allowing the sd to be formatted differently.. we will see when a sd card device gets marshmallow.

ohporter

Dec 8, 2011
I was thinking of the same thing, but the mere fact of the size has me leaning towards the 5x. I have a G2 and really like the size of it.

Yep, after living with a Nexus 6 for a year I've learned the size issue (can't operate one-handed) it a PITA and has me also focused on the 5x. I wish for higher-end specs in the same 5x size though.

H0tep

Sep 23, 2015

6p sh*ts on the 5x

Lol to the cheap guys saying the 5x would perform as well as the 6p... Dohkay

falcon26

Jul 19, 2010
The only thing the Nexus 5X has really over the 2013 model is a slightly faster CPU and camera. That's about it. The Nexus 5 2013 is still a very capable phone.

Reactions: H0tep

jsen

Aug 12, 2010
come on guys.. this is xda. devs will unleash the true power of both of these devices! :)

can't go wrong with any.

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using Tapatalk

Reactions: gerg004

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    wow you guys are a major buzzkill! i was so close to cancelling my order after reading all these complaints on just about everything. but then i realized im not going to let a bunch of people who dont even own the phone, ruin this for me. if anybody is going to ruin this for me, it will be by personal experience.

not a true upgrade from the nexus 5, lol are you sh*tting me?
    Y'all can't keep comparing an older phone with older processors and operating systems to a newer phone

"I ran out of ram on my 3 year old phone with 2gb of ram blah blah whine whine cry cry"

My newer v6 jeep is faster and more efficient in every way than my old v8 jeep. Same concept. Newer design. Newer technology. Different device.

Between marshmallow, sensor hub, 808 processor, and other newer aspects of the phone. 2gb is fine.

My Nexus 6 running M Preview hasn't used more than 1.4gb ram. And the hardware in the n6 is inferior to the n5x

BEFORE CONTINUING TO CRY ABOUT THE 2GB OF RAM.. PLEASE WAIT TO SEE REAL WORLD RESULTS AND REVIEWS
    5x is completely worthless

I was gonna buy it til you said its worthless. I dodged a bullet.
    Such disappointment. Much crying. Very whiny.

Seriously, why make a thread just to ***** about this phone? It's obvious that you and the rest of the world are upset about this phone. So instead, why not just leave this forum? Leave this place for the people who actually do like this phone.

The Nexus 6p finally has at least a decent sized battery...but they rip you off on the 128GB pricing. ( 32gb to 64gb = $50, but 64GB to 128GB is $100!!! wtf)
    That's called "math" ;)

64-32 = 32
    128-64 = 64

So yes, a jump from 32GB to 64GB (32GB more storage) costs $50 while a jump from 64GB to 128GB (64GB more storage) costs $100.