Nexus 5X stuck at Google Screen. Won't boot stock recovery.

Search This thread

Maxcalvino

Feb 3, 2013
I am honestly heart broken that this also happen to my phone :(. It has been a big pain for me because I purchase it in the US and I am currently abroad for my studies. I had to send the phone to my elders so they can resend it to LG for a warranty repair.
I really enjoy my 5x and had no plan on updating, it was honestly all the phone that I needed... With the camera NX app pictures were coming out extremely nice.
Is truly a shame, even if I get my money back I would still need to put 200+ to get a Pixel 5 inch :eek: other option is an OP3 but I am not convince about it (is big, in my opinion the camera is not as good as the 5x and I enjoy having the flexibility of a nexus device).

Anyways, to be quite frank, I just hope they fix it and I can get my phone back but from what I had read online this is a long shot...

Does anyone know how LG handles refunds? would they send me a check for what I paid for the phone? I send the BestBuy receipt with it.

In my opinion your EMMC probably died, but you can try reflashing factory images to see if it is some other problem.

I would only try LGUP as a last resort because it will set Allow OEM unlocking to false and lock your bootloader, making further experimentation difficult.

BTW IMO the Android 7 bootloop probably isn't related to Android 7. I think they are just saying hardware problem (EMMC failure) that happens to show up more frequently when you have large updates of OS.

The way Google worded it, it made it seem like Android 7 is killing some hardware because of some incompatibility with just some isolated hardware builds.

I would suggest you let it keep booting and flash some factory images and sometimes EMMC will come back briefly and boot. If it does, immediately backup as much as you can before doing anything else.

I just had this same reported issue yesterday. Received a phone call, it didn't go through. Set phone down, it say idle. Anywhere between 2-10 mins pass, and I see my phone is boot looping.

I've tried any and everything short of a factory reset...would love to recover data...but a microSD card was obviously too much for LG/Google to handle, haha. I did manage to get it to load the OS, and even unlocked the phone...but when I rushed to my PC....Windows 10 was in the middle of rebooting for updates (FFS.......!!!!!!!!!!). As notifications came in, phone restarted....only had about 3-4 mins of uptime.

I've suspected something was wrong with my storage, just because I've actually had odd issues with my phone since a month in. Performance is hugely different from coworker who got phone at same time and each have installed the same apps (sans me using Nova launcher). And it would go through just period where it was near unusable....almost as if it couldn't read/write fast enough (I blamed this on encryption at first...but guess not). This assertion of EMMC doesn't surprise me in the least.

Anyways, thoughts on ways to recover data? Everything is stock (never felt a need to root since getting this phone). I can get into Recovery about 90% of the time...but there is very limited options from what I can tell. I thought maybe the sideload via adb would let me in...but of course it doesn't allow shell access. I've tried clearing cache (of course this won't work...). I've even tried mounting the system partition for whatever that'll do (nothing of course for data); but now doing that simply initiates the reboot/boot loop.

Any thoughts or help? I'd love to just get a few things off the phone (thankfully DropBox sync'd and caught all my photos).

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Anyways, thoughts on ways to recover data? Everything is stock (never felt a need to root since getting this phone). I can get into Recovery about 90% of the time...but there is very limited options from what I can tell. I thought maybe the sideload via adb would let me in...but of course it doesn't allow shell access. I've tried clearing cache (of course this won't work...). I've even tried mounting the system partition for whatever that'll do (nothing of course for data); but now doing that simply initiates the reboot/boot loop.

Any thoughts or help? I'd love to just get a few things off the phone (thankfully DropBox sync'd and caught all my photos).
It has pretty much been confirmed that there are issues with the CPU and/or eMMC solder joints developing micro-fractures over repeated heat/cool cycles.

Many folks have had success putting phone in ziplock bag and sticking in freezer for 10minutes. Leave the USB cable plugged in and stringing out of your freezer. You should be able to get the phone to boot for a little while, long enough to get stuff off the phone.

There is slight danger this might trigger some water detection mechanism and void your warranty so you might want to put some silica gel packs in the zip lock to absorb some water vapor.

I am guessing you can open up the phone and put some cardboard shunts above both chips then close the back cover and apply pressure on the chips and that could get the phone working again. Try using some adjustable clamps or your fingers will get tired.

Alternatively if you are more handy, you can use hot air rework station to heat the CPU and eMMC chips to try and get a solder reflow going. Some people have stuck their main board in the oven and heated to 390F. If you successfully get the reflow going, you can possible get your phone working for a few more months, but the base defect is still their so it will probably bootloop again.

As to getting your phone fixed or your money back, you have 12mo warranty from date of purchase or 15mo from manufacture date (most are Sep or Oct manuf date). There is a long wait for the motherboard part and many people were sent back phones that were still bootlooping, then after sending in second time were offered LG G4 as replacement, and after persistent refusals, were offered either LG G5 or a refund of purchase price minus tax.

If that doesn't work, I would guess about 85% of credit cards actually extend the warranty 1 or 2 years and they can get your money back if you have the paperwork.

Last edited:
Reactions: fabien98

gmoney11

Jun 9, 2009
For anyone who is having the bootloop issue where the device doesn't respond and you're having issues booting into recovery etc; the process of baking the motherboard just worked for me. i followed this guide to the T, and i just fired up my phone to get all of my info off of it. it's definitely a hardware issue with LG, and there is a temp fix to get your information off of it.

follow this guide if you have this issue:

http://hackaday.com/2017/02/11/nexus-5x-phone-resurrected-by-the-oven/

happy hunting

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

no telling how long this will last, my info is off this sack o' sh!t, so definitely going another route. i don't trust LG anymore; this is the second time i've almost had a tragedy.

anan5002

Nov 12, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
www.raj2u.net
Now im having the same issue on my Nexus 5x.... Was able to boot into bootloader, but cant boot to recovery or normal boot. The screen goes off after the Google Logo.

I tried flash factory images but the issue still not solved. Anyone figure out what hardware part that giving the issue?

foehammer92

Sep 2, 2011
Bay Area
Now im having the same issue on my Nexus 5x.... Was able to boot into bootloader, but cant boot to recovery or normal boot. The screen goes off after the Google Logo.

I tried flash factory images but the issue still not solved. Anyone figure out what hardware part that giving the issue?

Bump, I am having the same issue. I'm on PureNexus ROM. Phone shut down randomly and gets stuck at google logo during boot. I got it to boot all the way once but it restarted after 2 minutes and I have had no luck since then.

Anyone know how to fix this?

anan5002

Nov 12, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
www.raj2u.net
Bump, I am having the same issue. I'm on PureNexus ROM. Phone shut down randomly and gets stuck at google logo during boot. I got it to boot all the way once but it restarted after 2 minutes and I have had no luck since then.

Anyone know how to fix this?

I have sent the phone to repair, but unfortunately the guy told me it is related to board and was unable to fix it. Now i got no choice other than purchase Pixel.

brooklyn227

Dec 20, 2010
Stuck at Google

What worked for me was using WugFresh Nexus root toolkit v2.1.9
I just flashed back to the first official N 7.0 build using flash stock/unroot, soft-bricked/bootloop.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

HugoSilva

What worked for me was using WugFresh Nexus root toolkit v2.1.9
I just flashed back to the first official N 7.1.1 build using flash stock/unroot, soft-bricked/bootloop.

Hope this helps someone.

omg this happend to me as well :(

i´m trying wth wugfresh, let´s see if works :crying:

EDIT: Don´t work, phone still bootlop, and can´t send to warranty because i have it unlocked and rooted :( Now what i do?

Last edited:

synesthete

Mar 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Google Nexus 5
LG Nexus 5X
So, this happened to me. I was installing the Southwest Airlines app. The device froze, became unresponsive and then the screen went black. Then, it would reboot or turn black after the "Google" screen that shows the little unlocked icon. I was able to get TWRP temporarily running with the Fastboot boot recovery command rather than flashing it, but it only works one out of many times. When it does work it is very slow and unstable. It will reboot easily from here.

Was anyone else running their phone underclocked while this happened? I underclocked my phone (just one slot below stock speed) to conserve battery while I am out and about on a trip. I have a feeling that the underclocked settings somehow carried over. Maybe If I can get a custom kernel flashed it would help fix it. I wouldn't think that one slot below stock would make it so unstable though. Maybe I am grasping at straws.

Last edited:

Razeer123

Aug 20, 2013
Same happened to me. If you are rooted you should wait and let the battery fully discharge - then you should connect the device to charge for few minutes and install stock firmware on it. I did it (it's possible!) and waiting for my device to boot again to lock OEM.

Reactions: synesthete

synesthete

Mar 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Google Nexus 5
LG Nexus 5X
Same happened to me. If you are rooted you should wait and let the battery fully discharge - then you should connect the device to charge for few minutes and install stock firmware on it. I did it (it's possible!) and waiting for my device to boot again to lock OEM.

I will give it a try, Thanks. It is draining in fastboot now. What is the reasoning for re-locking the bootloader? What method/process do you plan on following after OEM is set to locked?

I considered locking it, thinking that maybe it would help, but was scared that it would maybe make things even harder to fix.

brooklyn227

Dec 20, 2010
omg this happend to me as well :(

i´m trying wth wugfresh, let´s see if works :crying:

EDIT: Don´t work, phone still bootlop, and can´t send to warranty because i have it unlocked and rooted :( Now what i do?

Sorry, it was 7.0 that did it, I probably tried 10 that day.. just had to do it again after flashing back to O beta (okay Google didn't work), tried to root and it went back into loop. Worked again. Rooted, flashed recovery in WUG, and flashed a ROM via recovery.

Sindee75

Dec 19, 2016
It has pretty much been confirmed that there are issues with the CPU and/or eMMC solder joints developing micro-fractures over repeated heat/cool cycles.

Many folks have had success putting phone in ziplock bag and sticking in freezer for 10minutes. Leave the USB cable plugged in and stringing out of your freezer. You should be able to get the phone to boot for a little while, long enough to get stuff off the phone.

There is slight danger this might trigger some water detection mechanism and void your warranty so you might want to put some silica gel packs in the zip lock to absorb some water vapor.

I am guessing you can open up the phone and put some cardboard shunts above both chips then close the back cover and apply pressure on the chips and that could get the phone working again. Try using some adjustable clamps or your fingers will get tired.

Alternatively if you are more handy, you can use hot air rework station to heat the CPU and eMMC chips to try and get a solder reflow going. Some people have stuck their main board in the oven and heated to 390F. If you successfully get the reflow going, you can possible get your phone working for a few more months, but the base defect is still their so it will probably bootloop again.

As to getting your phone fixed or your money back, you have 12mo warranty from date of purchase or 15mo from manufacture date (most are Sep or Oct manuf date). There is a long wait for the motherboard part and many people were sent back phones that were still bootlooping, then after sending in second time were offered LG G4 as replacement, and after persistent refusals, were offered either LG G5 or a refund of purchase price minus tax.

If that doesn't work, I would guess about 85% of credit cards actually extend the warranty 1 or 2 years and they can get your money back if you have the paperwork.

@sfhub hello, i am desperately looking for help. I've posted my problem on a few forums and not getting help, so I am trying here. I have a strange problem. My nexus 7 2013 gets stuck on boot animation with all stock lollipop and stock marshmallow factory images. I have also tried custom roms for my device for lollipop and marshmallow and they also get stuck on boot animation.

Here is the strange part.. ONLY kitkat 4.4.4 or lower, stock or custom roms WILL BOOT NORMALLY.

I have done many of wipes, formats, tried different bootloaders and boot images, etc.

Do you guys/gals have any ideas on how to fix this? I appreciate any and all help. Thanks, Cindy

rudra7

Aug 27, 2013
To get into the recovery plug the phone into your computer. Go into fastboot (vol down + power) and select the power off option. When it turns off or goes to the charging screen, hold volume up + power to boot to download mode. Once in download mode, turn the phone off by holding vol down + power, then go back into fastboot and you should be able to now access recovery mode. This is what I did, and then flashed back to 6.0.1 and it runs fine now. No Idea why going into download mode allows you to then access recovery and get one clean boot, but it does :D

Awesome.. It worked perfect. Phone is working fine now.

[Edit] Again same issue.. After switched on for while, Boot Loop again :(

Last edited:

quickstang

Sep 2, 2009
Wifes 5x doing the same thing. Streaming music all the way home from a trip. Had about 20% battery, then shut down. Stock everything. It gets to the Google logo, then black screen. I haven't tried any computer stuff yet. Was able to see recovery mode, but it won't go in to anything. Just goes black again. Computer wasn't sensing it this morning, but the PC did know a usb device was plugged in.

The phone is out of warranty, so no telling if anyone will do anything with it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

quickstang

Sep 2, 2009
Same problem, any update?
I tried the freezer trick and was able to get in to recovery mode, & was going to attempt to use Wugs toolkit, but when the phone rebooted, it turned off again. Most of the time as well, if I didn't have everything ready in recovery, it would shut off. There was only one time I got lucky & the phone booted fully. But seconds later, shut off. Tried again this morning, but no luck.

Picking up a 64GB unlocked S8 from Best Buy in a few hours. The wife needs a phone & I don't have time to play with the stupid thing anymore. Considering when Nexus Toolkit reboots the phone during setup & the phone shuts down after, I feel that no amount of playing with it will fix it.

Also didn't want to drop money in to repair when I could apply it towards the S8. $524 was the price unlocked. Pay $41 for the simple mobile add ons & they take $50 off. So you save an additional $9 & I'll sell the $40 reup card. Reward zone plus cash back site & I'm under $475.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

testijo

Dec 22, 2017
Another method to solve

My phone also kept restarting all the time but like 5% of the time I was able to enter the phone for a couple of minutes. I went into settings and did a full reboot and then it started to delete everything and then restart like before. Thought my phone was done for (had tried to use power + down volume button but kept restarting) but when i tried to access my phone today it had reinstalled everything! It must have been like 14 hours after first staring the reboot until i noticed that it had actually worked.

So my advice would be to follow the more knowledgeable people above but if you're like me and nothing worked, test this and have patience.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To get into the recovery plug the phone into your computer. Go into fastboot (vol down + power) and select the power off option. When it turns off or goes to the charging screen, hold volume up + power to boot to download mode. Once in download mode, turn the phone off by holding vol down + power, then go back into fastboot and you should be able to now access recovery mode. This is what I did, and then flashed back to 6.0.1 and it runs fine now. No Idea why going into download mode allows you to then access recovery and get one clean boot, but it does :D
    This seems to be a common problem which I have, too. Looks like a whole series of devices had these issues. Currently LG is unable to repair my device because auf missing spare parts they say. So after effortless 3 weeks they will send my unrepaired device back to me with a letter for my dealer to get back my money.
    Nice quality and service, LG - NOT! :(
    That is actually pretty good outcome. Pixel phone is coming out soon.
    Just had this happen today. Streaming music over Bluetooth and using another app, then tried switching tracks in Google Play Music and the app froze. Phone was unresponsive with app on the screen, then screen went off and wouldn't power on.

I finally got it on by holding down power for 30 seconds, but kept boot-looping to Google boot screen. I was able to get into fastboot mode and wipe everything and install the factory image. Still doing the same thing!

Just got off phone with Google. Told the rep everything I had tried and she is working on a replacement order. Supposed to call me back after chatting with higher level support. I wish they would just send me a new Pixel phone, or the 6P at least! :p
    I'm having the exact same problem here. Running Android 6.0.1, rooted. Phone suddenly turned off and won't start past the "Google" screen, except for once when it booted fully then immediately shut down, and three times when it loaded the boot animation and shut down. Bootloader is unlocked and TWRP recovery is installed. I can access fastboot but not recovery. I've tried the suggestion of booting into download mode then recovery again, but that didn't work. I have NOT tried updating to Android 7 yet, so this isn't the same boot loop issue faced by some other users. I don't want to try flashing stock yet and lose my data because I have a ton of Tasker profiles and tasks that I haven't backed up in months and I don't want to risk losing them! Serves me right...

Any suggestions?
    In my opinion your EMMC probably died, but you can try reflashing factory images to see if it is some other problem.

I would only try LGUP as a last resort because it will set Allow OEM unlocking to false and lock your bootloader, making further experimentation difficult.

BTW IMO the Android 7 bootloop probably isn't related to Android 7. I think they are just saying hardware problem (EMMC failure) that happens to show up more frequently when you have large updates of OS.

The way Google worded it, it made it seem like Android 7 is killing some hardware because of some incompatibility with just some isolated hardware builds.

I would suggest you let it keep booting and flash some factory images and sometimes EMMC will come back briefly and boot. If it does, immediately backup as much as you can before doing anything else.