Nexus 6 Android 5.1 different versions discussion

Search This thread

Intub8

Mar 3, 2012
These google weekly's are starting to get confusing. I just switched back to build E on ATT today. Does anyone have anything to report on L yet?

Smallsmx3

Jul 28, 2010
Is I newer than M? Does I have everything M has? I know Google said they would be unifying the builds at some point. On T-Mobile and M seems to be working well.

patmw123

Oct 28, 2010
These google weekly's are starting to get confusing. I just switched back to build E on ATT today. Does anyone have anything to report on L yet?

Supposedly LMY47I has some SIM card compatibility changes/optimizations. I think that may be it - I'm still waiting to see what all has actually changed aside from that.

G

GuestK0087

It will be interesting to see if anyone on LMY47D/E/M gets an OTA to LMY47I.

Candy[MAN]

Oct 7, 2009
Orangeville
Supposedly LMY47I has some SIM card compatibility changes/optimizations. I think that may be it - I'm still waiting to see what all has actually changed aside from that.

What has been posted are the AOSP general changes. No device specific changes have been posted. I am more curious about that. They have updated both the Nexus 5 and 6 and I am curious to what device specific changes were done.

twatts723

Apr 23, 2013
New Orleans
Yeah I have T-Mobile. I was on D, then I downgraded to 5.0.1, and as soon as i went through the setup screen, OTA update popped up, so I figured that'd be the safest way to get on M (which was my goal to begin with). But that was last night. Its been downloading for like 8 hours and its only about halfway done so.... Waiting

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Everybody should get ready for the Google nightlies!

Sent from my Nexus 6
    So I hit up Google Nexus support and got escalated to a higher tier. I was asking what the difference was between builds (D and E at the time), and whether things were carrier specific or what. Also asked if since I used my Nexus on Verizon if I should be on the E build. This was his response:

"It is perfectly fine to have flashed the newer build of LMY47E on your Nexus 6. It just has a slightly newer radio that brings some network enhancements. Future builds of Lollipop will unify the Nexus 6 images once again in the future."
    I wonder what radio it has

One thing that needs to be understood about "builds"... the radio is not part of the build. The radio is independent of the Android build. This is *WHY* you have a separate field in "about phone" for the radio and the build number. It is also why some *later builds* are being shipped with *earlier radio*. Most likely, the radio that ships with the "E" build either has some kind of compromise in it, or hasn't been adequately tested for distribution to everyone.

Also note that there is a distinction between the radio FIRMWARE, and the radio LIBRARIES. The radio libraries are part of the build. The radio firmware is separate from the build.

Whatever changes were made to the radio *libraries* for build E are most likely present in I and M as well. In fact, I and M could have radio libraries that are *even more* advanced than E.

For those saying that they get better signal on E than on D... this *could* be related to the radio firmware, or it also could be related to the radio LIBRARIES. It is also possible that use of the E firmware on D, I, or M could lead to inaccuracies in the values reported for the signal meter. In other words, it could *look* like a better signal, yet be exactly the same.

My first guess about the purpose of the different radio that ships with the "E" build, is that it has something to do with verizon's brand of volte. There was probably some weird glitch in the older radio build that demanded a quick fix.

The only other thing I have to say, is that people are really going overboard with the "must have newest build" thing. Take it easy for a bit. If D or E is working well for you, just leave it alone until something more substantial becomes available, and THEN update. The differences between these various builds are *NOT EVEN DOCUMENTED*, and probably only address very fringe glitches. If they were big enough differences, you'd be seeing 5.1.1 branched in AOSP. When google deems the differences worth pushing on you, they'll push a new OTA at *everyone*.

Or if you just enjoy playing with it, then knock yourself out. Playing with it never hurt anybody ;)
    We are having 3 official versions of the android 5.1 showing up. LMY47D, LMY47E, LMY47I. Some say they are carrier specific, some say they are not, and others have no idea what is going on. So, let’s discuss all the versions here and why some may or may not think that each one is carrier specific.

My main questions to those that say they are carrier specific is, I though Nexus 6 was not carrier locked and can work on all 4 carriers just by swapping the sim card. If that is the case, the how can we have carrier specific updates? I guess in theory it can be related to the sim that we have in our phones, so then by changing the sim from one carrier to another we will need to/offered the other software version?
    Not so much. 47e brought in new camera proprietary binaries too so it isn't just carrier specific