Nexus 6 + Custom ROM + AA = Display issues???

Search This thread

s2kpdx

Oct 24, 2013
So I have an annoyance that I wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing. I recently got a Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX head unit that has android auto built in. When I am using a stock based ROM, the android auto works fine. When I am running a CM/AOSP based ROM, the picture is like zoomed in and is totally unusable. I can even run a stock based ROM with custom kernel and it runs just fine. I am currently running meanpop with code blue kernel and it works fine, I just miss a lot of the features of the other Roms that I can't get it to work right on.

EDIT: I Have narrowed it down to any rom that has naitive DPI changing functionality built in will cause this issue.... I am fairly certain that is the issue....

Roms that work:
Stock
MeanPop
Sinless
CleanROM
OptiPop

They look like this on the head unit (how they should):
da9d330aed21fe50bdf588916e74d9d3.jpg

Roms that do not work:
CM12.1
Chroma
Euphoria
Resurrection Remix
Benzo
BlissPop
Temesek 5.1

They look like this on the head unit (YOU HAVE TO BYPASS THE DISCLAIMER VIA ANDROID AUTO DEVELOPER SETTINGS TO GET HERE):
973bbfdc9dcac9c45546a43e3e36934c.jpg

Anyone experiencing this as well or know what the heck the issue could be??? I kinda think it might be an easy fix for someone that knows that they are doing (not me!).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

noutoo

Sep 24, 2011
Pure Rom doesn't seem to work either. I was hoping Blisspop worked. Any news to why some roms are not supported? Really sad to see that Android Auto is not all it was hyped to be. Only supports certain phone's and few custom Rom's.

s2kpdx

Oct 24, 2013
Pure Rom doesn't seem to work either. I was hoping Blisspop worked. Any news to why some roms are not supported? Really sad to see that Android Auto is not all it was hyped to be. Only supports certain phone's and few custom Rom's.

I have figured out that any rom that has native DPI changing do not work. The only AOSP rom that I can find that currently works is OptiPop which is what I am currently running (it does not have built in DPI changing). I can still change the phones DPI in terminal and it displays on my stereo just fine....

unamused

May 6, 2015
gah, I've been having this issue, but with no solution. I have an LG G3, which of course doesn't work with AA. So I installed CM12.1 after reading somewhere that it would work. Of course, as you know it doesn't.

Now I've been trying to find a ROM that will work with the G3 and AA, but can't find any definitive answers.

noutoo

Sep 24, 2011
So is the issue you are seeing where you can get into Android Auto but can't click on items on the screen or like I am having when I connect my N6 I get a red screen on my phone saying this device is not supported.

If its a DPI issue can't you change the DPI as a work around?

Any idea why my device is "Not supported" Nexus 6 Pure Rom 5.0.1 GPS 7.3.29.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

noutoo

Sep 24, 2011
Thanks for the info. More and more disappointed with Google. They promote different but the same and reduce fragmentation but nothing has really changed. Seems like "the next version of Android" is always going to be the holy grail but it's more of the same. :(

phiednate

Jun 28, 2010
Had the same issue on my OnePlus One with BlissPop. Had to load the OnePlus's OxygenOS to get it working. Guess I will roll with that until a better fix comes out.

s2kpdx

Oct 24, 2013
What about a tasker command to change the dpi upon launching the AA app?

I am not much of a tasker guy, so I wouldn't know where to begin...

CygnusX2112

Jan 7, 2014
CM 12.1 not working with AA

Any word from anyone if this is being worked on?

Never mind. I just installed the latest CM nightly 5-31 and it works fantastic.

Last edited:

noutoo

Sep 24, 2011
After dealing with Bluetooth issues on kitkat I said I would never use CM. Looks like I'm going back. I'll post next week if it works.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Free mobile app

unamused

May 6, 2015
woohoo! The 5/31 CM12.1 nightly as finally cured my Android Auto blues. I have an LG G3, but I assume they've made similar changes across the board.

mine works great now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    it doesn't matter what DPI you change it to, the result is the same.