Nexus 6 end support date October 2016

Search This thread

blanco2701

Oct 11, 2015
This only determines OS updates. We'll get monthly OTAs for another year. Looking back at N5 and N4, I'm sure we'll get 7.0.1, 7.1 and so on...

Exactly, we'll get Android N and all the updates it brings. We will not get Android O for sure, at least not officially ;) When you have a nexus and know what a rom is, that's not a big problem.

Reactions: andrewjt19

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
I think they should be updating longer as well, but it's not like they haven't been upfront about it for a long time now. It's less of an issue to me, as I always run community ROMs and there are going to be devs supporting AOSP builds for a long time to come.

sempot

Dec 28, 2010
Manchester
Guys, this is a nexus. I don't even run stock the moment I received my nexuses. So I don't mind about firmware support.

On the other hand, Google had the best customer support I've ever encountered. I had problems with a few unit of my nexus and got replacement several times without a problem.

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
Orange County, California
a5c3fdfbdb5b28bee2468a75537d46bf.jpg

glockman4519

Jun 5, 2013
Central Pa
plus.google.com
I purchased this device knowing that as soon as I got it powered up I was going to unlock the bootloader, flash a custom recovery and then root. I even had Multirom planned and a few custom Roms picked out.
That's why I got it. Not for the camera or SOT, but for development and testing and to just have fun with it. Even if they stop supporting it in October there will still be custom Roms for it and several good stock builds too.
I plan on getting what ever Google builds to replace this device but am planning on keeping this around and ready to go. With 3gigs of ram, and the processor it has, this device will be around for some time yet and still be a formidable device.
Just my humble opinion.

"Chance Favors the Prepared"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I purchased this device knowing that as soon as I got it powered up I was going to unlock the bootloader, flash a custom recovery and then root. I even had Multirom planned and a few custom Roms picked out.
    That's why I got it. Not for the camera or SOT, but for development and testing and to just have fun with it. Even if they stop supporting it in October there will still be custom Roms for it and several good stock builds too.
    I plan on getting what ever Google builds to replace this device but am planning on keeping this around and ready to go. With 3gigs of ram, and the processor it has, this device will be around for some time yet and still be a formidable device.
    Just my humble opinion.

Yeah, buy a Samsung. It's exactly 18 months, then curtains.

Could be worse I suppose. Could spend $800+ on a new phone and have a locked bootloader from the mfg like the Galaxy S7. LOL :highfive:
    Just my humble opinion.

Official builds may end but I agree with it being a nexus development in custom ROMs will still be around given its custom ability.

I definitely second the device's capability..... The speakers in particular are amazing.
    Guys its a nexus. So if you are really worried about official updates. Well you really are doing it wrong. lol If you want it then there is nothing stopping you from getting it on your device other then fear of learning something new. Mainly when google pushes fixes and what not on a daily basis.

For those waiting on CM, remember CM wants to remove Google from android and they are the same ones that bricked a bunch of Nexus 6 devices. So you are better of on something based on AOSP.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone