Nexus 6P randomly shutting down under 50% - You're not alone!

Search This thread

ozzman54

Sep 22, 2010
This is finally starting to get some attention.

Just wanted to let others know who have this problem to check these links out for more info and to share your bug reports, findings.

If we're lucky maybe Google will finally admit there's a problem and do something about it.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=227849

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...toff-problem-and-its-becoming-a-safety-issue/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/5j6qyc/report_your_early_battery_shutdown_issue_directly/

Last edited:

whoisrikk

Aug 15, 2011
Craiova
Well.. my 6P is DEAD after the update.. it worked for a day, rebooted and then bootloop. I sent it to two repair services with no result. At this point I can only enter bootloader. Is anyone kind enough to point me to what I can do to bring it back? Burying it seems the only option right now *sadface*

rbrenart

Jul 26, 2013
Anyone with this issue yet a clean install? I'm not in the mood to do so, so if others have tried without success of be appreciative of the knowledge.

rbrenart

Jul 26, 2013
Thanks for letting me know, just finished a support chat. They seem to think it's a faulty battery and are sending a new (refurbished) device. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: B3501

sternweezy

Jun 18, 2010
I had this issue almost daily once I went to 7.0. Even with clean installs if I remember right. I got a refurbished phone over a month ago and it hasn't happened since. Plus my battery life is better or at least as good as when I got my original phone a year ago.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hashim71

May 5, 2012
Well.. my 6P is DEAD after the update.. it worked for a day, rebooted and then bootloop. I sent it to two repair services with no result. At this point I can only enter bootloader. Is anyone kind enough to point me to what I can do to bring it back? Burying it seems the only option right now *sadface*

I was having same issue. Until someone referred me to a guide burried deep in the forum. Basically, the procedure involved flashing the stock MM image then booting into the bootloader and flashing custom recovery (TWRP) through bootloader. Then the OP provided link to a TWRP backup that I manually transferred to the twrp backup folder on my phone. Entered recovery and restored my phone through that backup. Only then did it work. Took me about 6 hours after much trial and error. But God bless that person. If I find that guide I will post a link here to exit bootloop!

P.s. Just remembered I had it bookmarked. It worked for me. Give it a try!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/help/guide-revive-angler-bootloop-t3454938

whoisrikk

Aug 15, 2011
Craiova
I was having same issue. Until someone referred me to a guide burried deep in the forum. Basically, the procedure involved flashing the stock MM image then booting into the bootloader and flashing custom recovery (TWRP) through bootloader. Then the OP provided link to a TWRP backup that I manually transferred to the twrp backup folder on my phone. Entered recovery and restored my phone through that backup. Only then did it work. Took me about 6 hours after much trial and error. But God bless that person. If I find that guide I will post a link here to exit bootloop!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/help/guide-revive-angler-bootloop-t3454938

My friend..if this works, I'll find you and the op of that post and give you a huge beer.

Reactions: hashim71

B3501

Mar 4, 2015

That's for recovering from a bootloop? This thread is for the battery shutting down below a certain %.

hashim71

May 5, 2012

That's for recovering from a bootloop? This thread is for the battery shutting down below a certain %.

That was just an answer to the first comment I saw on the post.. Thought I'd help. But with the battery issue.. My phone seems to die around 5-10℅ battery depending on the day

Reactions: B3501

swa100

Dec 22, 2012
Sometimes mine dies between 5-15%. Never seen it happening with more juice in it then 15% though. I'm thinking about going back to the online shop where I bought it from.

Reactions: javitomen

NJ_RAMS_FAN

Sep 28, 2011
North Bergen, NJ
my does it at 15% automatically.. but sometimes at 35% it shuts off.. then i reboot and its at 30%.. like wth..... I moved on to the V20 (t-mobile had a crazy black friday deal) but I kept the nexus 6p. I really like the phone... does it on both stock rom and custom..

Last edited:

Puck24

Sep 10, 2010
Zagreb
I don't have that issue. And I have the phone since Dec 2015. It only appeared to restart twice while on DP2 (in all realness, it sat at the "enter screen unlock pin").

I highly doubt it's a hardware issue since it started with Nougat. Did anyone of you roll back to MM and see if the problem persists?

perveeus

Dec 20, 2008
Lets keep this updated with any & all info.

Gotta get Huawei or Google to take responsibility for this.

They have to know that we all can do a Samsung to their bottom lines.

B3501

Mar 4, 2015
I'm getting my RMA new one tomorrow but today was a mess again.
2c90c509dda6e222e80901b49453ff66.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

I don't have that issue. And I have the phone since Dec 2015. It only appeared to restart twice while on DP2 (in all realness, it sat at the "enter screen unlock pin").

I highly doubt it's a hardware issue since it started with Nougat. Did anyone of you roll back to MM and see if the problem persists?
Yes, it happened on MM too although Im on Nougat now.

MerkurMan

Sep 26, 2008
GTA
I've read about this issue for months and always thought I was one of the lucky ones since I'd never experienced it, until one day a few weeks ago I turned the phone on and launched the camera, with about 15% battery left and was met with the "shutting down..." screen.

Since then it's happened sporadically, with the battery anywhere between 10-25%. And other times I've been able to use the phone right down to the single digits.

But yesterday took the cake. I thought I was in the clear, as I was around 50%, so I went on a trip through the junkyard to look for parts for my car. I hadn't been to a junkyard in many years, so it was a bit of an event, and I looked forward to snapping a few pics of the interesting cars I might see.

Pulled the phone out once and snapped a pic and a snapchat video, and right after I hit the send button in snapchat, the phone powered down. Now it was cold and windy, which may have had something to do with it, but even after putting the phone back in my pocket and warming it up with my hand, I powered it back up and the battery meter read 1%. :(

Screenshot_20161220-140608-picsay.png

Now I'm not usually one to complain, but how can a battery drop from 50% to zero in one second? This has to be a hardware issue, and I don't know whether to wait until I'm near the end of my warranty period to replace it, or do it now and risk the replacement device not showing signs of the same issue until after the warranty expires.

It sucks, but I'm finally a part of this crew.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is finally starting to get some attention.

Just wanted to let others know who have this problem to check these links out for more info and to share your bug reports, findings.

If we're lucky maybe Google will finally admit there's a problem and do something about it.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=227849

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...toff-problem-and-its-becoming-a-safety-issue/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/5j6qyc/report_your_early_battery_shutdown_issue_directly/
    Anyway, this is both a software AND hardware fault!

Acording to the findings of Nathan-K in the Cold bug thread and the posts on his blog the driver for the battery controller in the N6P is has not been updated since 2014 and has some issues that together with another bug in android and damaged, cold or aged batteries causes the shutdowns.

Non polite version:

The lazy people at google just took Qualcomms reference driver and ran with it, the driver overreacts to sudden voltage drops (even those that are not dangerous)
    The battery saving function bugs out and kills sensor information from the battery on affected devices, this triggers the above situation on since the driver sees it as a voltage drop.
    Huawei probably buys large batches of "iffy" batteries that works adequately since Huawei them self probably do optimize the Qualcomm driver on their own phones and in their mind "rightly" blames google for this ****.
    Other nexus oems probably have better batteries and is much less affected

This can be fixed by google, I hope they do that before my battery degrades to the point where it starts to trigger these bugs.
    I try to let it go to 0% and then start charging, is this something i should/shouldn't do?

If you want your battery to last, follow these tips:

1. Do not constantly drain it down to 0%. If possible, it's best to plug in around 25%.

2. Do not use the phone for anything intensive that will generate heat, like gaming or installing ROMs, while it's charging. Light things that don't cause the phone to heat up, like sending text messages or watching a locally stored movie, is ok.

3. Do not use fast charging. This is a real battery killer. The charging brick included with the phone is a fast charger. Don't use it. Use a charging brick that outputs between 1 and 2 amps (I've used the 1 amp charging brick from my Galaxy Nexus on every phone I've owned and their batteries lasted for years).

4. Do not charge phone overnight while it is on. The reason for this is once the battery reaches 100% it stops charging (obviously) and when it drops to 98% it starts again. If your phone is on it will sync your Google account, update location, etc, causing your battery to eventually drop to 98% and start charging again. Doing this over and over again all night causes unnecessary battery wear.

5. Do not let the battery get excessively hot or excessively cold. I use EX Kernel Manager to display the battery temperature in the notification area. If I notice my phone getting a bit warm, I pull down the notification shade and check the temperature. If it's over 35°C I give it a break for a while to cool down. Do not stick your phone in the freezer while running benchmarks, compiling Substratum themes, or anything that causes it to heat up. If I have to keep my phone cool I put it in front of a fan on medium or high speed. That's more than enough.
    maybe Google purposely did this so people with Nexus 6P will upgrade to Pixel :silly:
    Guys (and gals), looking for some advice. I'm being struck with the same overheating and phone powering down around 30%. I purchased the 6P on Feb. 28th, 2016, so I'm literally 2 weeks out of warranty. I was running stock for a while, then went to the preview program. When the latest update didn't play well with a few apps, I decided to go to Pure Nexus and Elementalx kernel in hopes that they would provide better battery life and fix the problem. As you'd expect, it made no difference, even after a few full discharges and recharges with the stock charger while off to try and recalibrate the battery (didn't expect much).

So I'm seeing posts of replacements issued outside of warranty, is this being granted by contacting support here: https://support.google.com/store/answer/6301411?hl=en ? Or is the conversation being initiated elsewhere? Would I be better off just doing the battery replacement from the ebay source a page back? Other than a heat source (can probably rent a heat gun somewhere), I feel pretty confident in disassembly and replacement. If I contact Google support, should I expect push back on a replacement or should it be straightforward after explaining the battery issue? Finally, if they do approve a replacement, do I need to restore device to stock before returning it? I assume I shouldn't mention the root in the conversation.

I appreciate any help and apologize for the long list of questions. I've been following this thread for a few weeks, wish I had just contacted Google earlier when I was still in warranty and would have had no issues at all.

I'm assuming you purchased from the Google Store, correct? If so, The "contact us" link on the page you linked to will give you a form to request a callback from Google. Alternatively, you may also call in toll free directly to 1-855-836-3987. Other people have mentioned having a better experience on the phone than via email since they seem to get a different person on every email reply.

As for getting an exception replacement from Google, if you have Nexus Protect (Assurant insurance) I would fully expect them to try to shuffle you there to make a claim and pay the deductible. With enough persistence this can be overcome though as was my experience. If you do not have Nexus Protect then they are very much aware of the issue and you shouldn't have very much trouble getting an exception replacement.

If you are approved for a replacement you will receive an email with a shipping label, RMA form, and a Play Store link to order your replacement. A hold for the full cost of the device will be placed on your payment method until they receive and verify the device you return. I ordered my replacement on a Monday and received it on Thursday. I sent my original back Friday and they received it next Thursday.

Take some time to evaluate your replacement device before you decide to send back your original. I would recommend installing AccuBattery, running the battery all the way down until it shuts off, connecting the charger only long enough to power the device back on and re-open AccuBattery. Then reconnect the charger, turn off the screen and run a full 0/1%-100% charge plus a few extra hours. Check the history tab in AccuBattery and see how many mAh were delivered in the charge session and divide by the 3450mAh design capacity to gather a fairly accurate health percentage.

There are instructions in the email as to what you should do with the original before returning it that amount to making sure FRP is off and performing a factory reset with wipe.

For our purposes though: If you are rooted and your bootloader is unlocked I would recommend doing the following:

-backup anything you need
    -full unroot from supersu app
    -flash 7.1.1 (N4F26J, Jan 2017) with the flash-all script. (This build happens to be the latest build that is for all carriers at the moment and will likely also be the build you received on your replacement. Feb and March builds have VZV and "all other carrier" variants)
    -Let it boot it up fully and skip through the wizard. Enable Developer Options, Enable USB Debugging, connect to a PC with ADB/fastboot drivers and SDK platform tools present, authorize the ADB connectiion from the PC on the device, and then run adb reboot bootloader to reboot to bootloader
    -Run fastboot flashing lock to relock the bootloader and the device will be wiped again and reboot again.
    -Let it boot it up to the welcome screen.
    -Shut it off and it should be good to go.

There is no need to mention root in your conversation of course. I would stick with mentioning that your device shuts down unexpectedly while the battery indicator still shows 30% remaining. Mentioning that the battery is not able to absorb a full charge i.e. worn and operating at a greatly reduced percentage of its design capacity was helpful for me in avoiding having to do the troubleshooting monkey dance with them.

If you are confident in your repair abilities and are able to source a good battery (original or as close to it with the proper flex cable and temp sensor) then that is certainly an option too though. For me the replacement device route was easier, the replacement arrived in even better shape then my original device, and it didn't cost me anything except some of my time so that's the way I chose to go.