• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

Nexus 7 2013 stuck at Google screen

krazzyjman

Jan 20, 2011
So, I was using my Nexus during my class today and it was working great.
After class, I walked to my next class with the tablet in my hand, I did not drop it or anything, when I got to my next class the lock screen was unresponsive.
I was still able to take a screen shot, so the tablet wasn't frozen, but the touch screen was not working at all. All of the hardware buttons worked fine.
I let it sit for about 2 hours and the problem persisted.
I just did a soft reset, holding the power button down for 10 seconds, and it shutdown and rebooted, but its now stuck on the Google screen.
Anyone know what is wrong or how I can fix it?

Thank you

[email protected]

May 26, 2011
So, I was using my Nexus during my class today and it was working great.
After class, I walked to my next class with the tablet in my hand, I did not drop it or anything, when I got to my next class the lock screen was unresponsive.
I was still able to take a screen shot, so the tablet wasn't frozen, but the touch screen was not working at all. All of the hardware buttons worked fine.
I let it sit for about 2 hours and the problem persisted.
I just did a soft reset, holding the power button down for 10 seconds, and it shutdown and rebooted, but its now stuck on the Google screen.
Anyone know what is wrong or how I can fix it?

Thank you
Return it.
You have a defective unit.

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008

krazzyjman

Jan 20, 2011
Have you tried entering bootloader?

[Info] Guide to entering safe mode, bootloader, stock recovery

I really doubt you are in bricked mode or it wouldn't even show google. If it is stuck on google it is having trouble loading the OS.

Most likely you can go into fastboot mode and just flash your /system and it will begin working again with no loss of data.
My problem is I can't turn the tablet off. When I hold the power button it just restarts.
Also I tried the hard reset and it does nothing. Just stays on the Google screen

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
My problem is I can't turn the tablet off. When I hold the power button it just restarts.
Also I tried the hard reset and it does nothing. Just stays on the Google screen
Did you specifically try to get into bootloader mode using the post I mentioned.

You need to Press Power+VolDown continuously until the bootloader menu comes up?

The fact that you are getting to the Google screen at all means your bootloader is still working so I find it hard to understand why you wouldn't be able to get into bootloader mode.

Reactions: krazzyjman

krazzyjman

Jan 20, 2011
Did you specifically try to get into bootloader mode using the post I mentioned.

You need to Press Power+VolDown continuously until the bootloader menu comes up?

The fact that you are getting to the Google screen at all means your bootloader is still working so I find it hard to understand why you wouldn't be able to get into bootloader mode.
It was not working, but my tablet just died and I was able to charge and get into the bootloader.

Now to see if it will work.

krazzyjman

Jan 20, 2011

What do I do once into the bootloader mode?
Start, restart bootloader, or recovery?

Reactions: EdwinForTheWin

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
What do I do once into the bootloader mode?
Start, restart bootloader, or recovery?
Well since you are getting stuck on Google, that means your ROM (/system) is not loading.

I would flash boot.img and system.img from the factory restore.

http://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#razor

The restore is in .tar.gz format and within the tar there is a zip file. Within that zip file is boot.img and system.img. You need to extract those (ungzip, then untar, then unzip) and place them in your adb directory.

Boot your tablet into bootloader mode, connect the USB cable, make sure it is recognized as android bootloader interface.

Type
  • fastboot flash boot boot.img
  • fastboot flash system system.img

assuming no errors
  • fastboot reboot

If on the reboot you still get stuck, push and hold Power for 30-60 seconds and try again.

Fails a second time, something more serious is probably wrong.

If you get stuck on X instead of Google, that means something may be wrong with your user data. Try the 60 second reboot thing again. If it is still stuck on X, boot into recovery and do a wipe data factory reset. See previous post for how to get into recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: mfelten86

krazzyjman

Jan 20, 2011
Well since you are getting stuck on Google, that means your ROM (/system) is not loading.

The restore is in .tar.gz format and within the tar there is a zip file. Within that zip file is boot.img and system.img. You need to extract those (ungzip, then untar, then unzip) and place them in your adb directory.

Boot your tablet into bootloader mode, connect the USB cable, make sure it is recognized as android bootloader interface.

Type

assuming no errors
  • fastboot reboot

If on the reboot you still get stuck, push and hold Power for 30-60 seconds and try again.

If you get stuck on X instead of Google, that means something may be wrong with your user data. Try the 60 second reboot thing again. If it is still stuck on X, boot into recovery and do a wipe data factory reset. See previous post for how to get into recovery.
Where am I typing in those lines?
And all the files I need are in the download link?

krazzyjman

Jan 20, 2011

Type

assuming no errors
  • fastboot reboot

I figured out where to type, but I have to unlock my bootloader?

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
I have no way to enable usb debugging since I cant tun on the device, right?
You don't need to enable USB debugging for fastboot mode.

You just need to press Power+VolDown until you get into the bootloader. That is fastboot mode. It will install Android Bootloader Interface (usb debugging does android debug bridge interface)

I actually didn't realize you weren't unlocked. If that is the case, the unlock process will erase your userdata, so you might as well just do the full factory restore.

First goto bootloader mode using Power+VolDown and connect USB, type
  • fastboot oem unlock
You'll see a question on the tablet screen, Press VolUp to go to yes and Power to select.

On the command prompt in windows, you should see it erase userdata and cache.

On the bootloader screen it should have "Start" highlighted (if not, use VolDown to cycle until you see "Start"). Press Power to accept. You should see Google, then it'll go into recovery and format userdata and cache. It'll then try to boot and since /system is having issues, you'll be stuck in Google again.

Go back into bootloader mode, hold Power+VolDown for a while until you see the bootloader screen.

Now grab the factory image as above, gunzip, untar, and you should have a folder razor-jss15j

Copy these files from your adb directory to the razor-jss15j directory
  • adb.exe
  • fastboot.exe
  • AdbWinApi.dll
  • AdbWinUsbApi.dll

In command prompt in the razor-jss15j directory, type
  • flash-all

It should output a bunch of stuff, essentially writing a factory image to your tablet.

When it is done, it'll reboot and hopefully you'll get the initial setup window.

I wrote this up from memory, so hopefully I didn't forget stuff. If something doesn't seem right just ask.

krazzyjman

Jan 20, 2011
Thanks for all of your help.
It really means a lot you took the time to help me.
I'm going to Best Buy today and I am going to see if I can do an exchange.
If not, I will try this later.
Again, thank you

Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone