Search This thread

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
Did you find any seller? I also got my nexus's screen cracked and looked for replacement some site even said 600$ come on who is going to pay that much for screen ... the cheapest i got was 208 $ so even that is high for a device this cheap... so if you or anyone got some idea where and how to get replacement glass/digitizer that will be great help. (LCD is just working fine so why to buy lcd but all of them include lcd which i think makes it expensive. :( )
Great News!! I just checked our site and you can go on yourself and get the part your looking for for a reasonable price! We also have the tutorial video to help you fix your phone as well as providing the "Livechat"button to assist you immediately with any challenges you may have while fixing your phone.. Do you have the original or 2nd Gen? You may only need the touch screen digitizer (outer glass) to lower the price but we usually recommend the combination with the LCD(inner display) as they can be fused together and make it difficult to take apart.

Last edited:

plegrand

Mar 22, 2013
Great News!! I just checked our site and you can go on yourself and get the part your looking for for a reasonable price! We also have the tutorial video to help you fix your phone as well as providing the "Livechat"button to assist you immediately with any challenges you may have while fixing your phone.. Do you have the original or 2nd Gen? You may only need the touch screen digitizer (outer glass) to lower the price but we usually recommend the combination with the LCD(inner display) as they can be fused together and make it difficult to take apart.

Is this the entire assembly for the Nexus 7 2013 edition?
http://www.repairsuniverse.com/google-nexus-7-lcd-touch-screen-digitizer-assembly-replacement.html

aircooledbusses

Aug 2, 2012

photo for the attached link has the ribbon connector coming out the side, like on the older nexus model. My nexus 7 (2013) has the ribbon connector coming out the bottom. Is it possible that the wrong photo is posted with the link or do you guarantee that this is the correct part for the 2013 model.

$129 is a reasonable price if this is in fact the correct price for the correct part.

double check and confirm.

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

photo for the attached link has the ribbon connector coming out the side, like on the older nexus model. My nexus 7 (2013) has the ribbon connector coming out the bottom. Is it possible that the wrong photo is posted with the link or do you guarantee that this is the correct part for the 2013 model.

$129 is a reasonable price if this is in fact the correct price for the correct part.

edit- I read "this is"... not is this.

In my opinion/expirience this is the correct replacement part for the older nexus 7 Not the 2014 model.

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

In my opinion/expirience this is the correct replacement part for the older nexus 7 Not the 2014 model.

Hello,

Hey you have the nexus 7 ( 2nd Gen ). Where the flex cable comes from the bottom. Go to our site and search ITEM#: 12-G-0798

Should put you right as rain. We ship fast so hope this helps. :good:

Reactions: aircooledbusses

aircooledbusses

Aug 2, 2012
Hello,

Hey you have the nexus 7 ( 2nd Gen ). Where the flex cable comes from the bottom. Go to our site and search ITEM#: 12-G-0798

yes, that Is the one I am looking for. a little high for me right now, but won't be that way for long. Thanks, and yes, I hit the button too!!

Fuyuri

Jan 20, 2013
Hello,

Bit of a bump, but... I bought what I assumed to be a digitizer/LCD assembly off ebay for my Nexus. Turned out just to be the digitizer. Having removed the display/digitizer and verified the LCD still works, I'm at a bit of a pickle. The old digitizer, being shattered, is really difficult to separate from the LCD. Is there an easy way of going about that?

Digitizer/LCD: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8787542/IMG_20140115_121706.jpg
Showing everything working, new digitizer works too: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8787542/IMG_20140115_122522.jpg

ndiguy5

Dec 19, 2006
I need to replace USB port

Hello,

Bit of a bump, but... I bought what I assumed to be a digitizer/LCD assembly off ebay for my Nexus. Turned out just to be the digitizer. Having removed the display/digitizer and verified the LCD still works, I'm at a bit of a pickle. The old digitizer, being shattered, is really difficult to separate from the LCD. Is there an easy way of going about that?

Digitizer/LCD: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8787542/IMG_20140115_121706.jpg
Showing everything working, new digitizer works too: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8787542/IMG_20140115_122522.jpg

I need to replace usb port will any of them work?

carljoe

Jun 6, 2011
Is it necessary to use a heatgun or hair dryer if you bought the entire LCD + Digitizer assembly? I could really use a guide or some instructions on how to do that :)

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
Is it necessary to use a heatgun or hair dryer if you bought the entire LCD + Digitizer assembly? I could really use a guide or some instructions on how to do that :)
Yes the digitizer and LCD combination screen is still adhered to the front bezel of the device. You will need a heat gun to remove this adhesive.

enjoycoca

Feb 17, 2014
Berlin
Broken Digitiser... Attempt to fix...

First off, I have been using XDA forums for some time, but never contributed. I have decided now is the time! Brace yourselves.

A couple of years ago, I replaced the screen on my iPhone 3S. So this year when I cracked (still not sure how) the glass on my Nexus 7 2013 after just a few weeks, I was again thinking... This shouldn't be too hard. It is just a digitizer...

How wrong I was. Little did I know that the whole damn digitizer was GLUED to the screen. Tonight, after chipping away at the digitiser last night to free the screen, I will attempt to get the rest of the glass that is stuck hard down on the screen. I am resigned to loosing the screen, but I think it is better to try, than to not try at all.

Now, before you slate my ignorance. I had seen a few videos and read a few blogs, but there wasn't anything concrete solid on how difficult it was. So I thought, ah, sod it... More to follow...

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

@carljoe I might be able to offer you assistance on how easy/bloody difficult this actually is. I will post images and problems that I encountered. I guess I am taking one for the team here, as i am yet to see a video of anyone attempting this feat of crazy destruction.

Even if I split the digitiser from the screen, I then have to glue it back together. When I ordered ONE digitiser, I actually got two... So if anyone needs a spare...

enjoycoca

Feb 17, 2014
Berlin
OK. So after nearly an hour, I think I managed to clear just over 1 sq inch of screen. However, this was mainly testing.

The main priority is to protect the screen underneath the glass. So I had tried several techniques to see how the removal went. The other thing to consider is the heating of the screen. I am using a hair dryer with an adaptor at the end to focus the heat onto specific areas.

I then tried different techniques in the corners with varying times. My result is you need to blast the area with about a minute of heat. Now this will vary from hair dryer to hair dryer.

For the removal, I tried the following tools:
Small flathead screw driver
Credit Card sized travel card
Kitchen knife

The small flathead was surprisingly effective, if not a little cumbersome to use. The credit card was too ineffective and the kitchen knife was just horrendous.

Because the screen is glued on, I thought to try and go in over the top of the glue towards the digitiser once warm, to use the glue as a buffer underneath to protect the screen for any leverage etc. Also the glue does clump a little. So this acts as a small leaver against the screen.

Once testing was completed, I focused on another area... This is where progress was made. Most of the one square inch was cleared in this time, about 10 minutes.

I guess once I clear the glass from the screen, I will need to use an alcohol solution to remove the glue. Only then, will I really know if the process LOOKS like a success... It might be the screen is broken anyway due to the heat...

This is thankless task, but I hope whatever I find here can be of benefit to someone.

Dec 16, 2012
toronto
extra digitizer

First off, I have been using XDA forums for some time, but never contributed. I have decided now is the time! Brace yourselves.

A couple of years ago, I replaced the screen on my iPhone 3S. So this year when I cracked (still not sure how) the glass on my Nexus 7 2013 after just a few weeks, I was again thinking... This shouldn't be too hard. It is just a digitizer...

How wrong I was. Little did I know that the whole damn digitizer was GLUED to the screen. Tonight, after chipping away at the digitiser last night to free the screen, I will attempt to get the rest of the glass that is stuck hard down on the screen. I am resigned to loosing the screen, but I think it is better to try, than to not try at all.

Now, before you slate my ignorance. I had seen a few videos and read a few blogs, but there wasn't anything concrete solid on how difficult it was. So I thought, ah, sod it... More to follow...

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

@carljoe I might be able to offer you assistance on how easy/bloody difficult this actually is. I will post images and problems that I encountered. I guess I am taking one for the team here, as i am yet to see a video of anyone attempting this feat of crazy destruction.

Even if I split the digitiser from the screen, I then have to glue it back together. When I ordered ONE digitiser, I actually got two... So if anyone needs a spare...

do you have the digitizer for Google nexus 7 2013 the 2nd Gen. ? mine has just broken still looking at the tutorials and trying to convince myself if its worth trying to separate the LCD and digitizer apart, and what happens to the frame? noone has ever said anything about the structure made of plastic which holds LCD and Digitizer in place? if you have that extra digitizer could you send me pics of it on the email? my email is [email protected]

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

do you have the digitizer for Google nexus 7 2013 the 2nd Gen. ? mine has just broken still looking at the tutorials and trying to convince myself if its worth trying to separate the LCD and digitizer apart, and what happens to the frame? noone has ever said anything about the structure made of plastic which holds LCD and Digitizer in place? if you have that extra digitizer could you send me pics of it on the email? my email is [email protected]

enjoycoca

Feb 17, 2014
Berlin

I do have a spare digitizer. However, I have been procrastinating on making more progress.

Basically, the screen/digitiser are glued together, with the overlapping Digitiser stuck to the rest of the frame.

To get the screen/digitiser unit separate from the frame, you have to heat around the outside and slowly break the digitiser away. It is continuous ALL the way around the frame, there is no respite. I might attempt again tonight to do some more work on this. But it is slow progress and I need time AND patience to commit further to this.

It might be easier, if you have never done anything like this before, to buy a new frame/digitiser/lcd unit. Or, if you want to gamble, please go ahead and give it a go.

hack.causality

Jun 29, 2009
I've been heating the borders of the screen for nearly an hour now with my heat gun set on 110c, with absolutely no indication the glue is softening. What am I doing wrong?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is the screen on your Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) cracked or broken? You can repair the screen or other internal parts and components with this in depth repair guide. The guide will take you through each crucial step that will be essential in effectively performing a successful and safe opening of your device and repair nearly any desired part.

This guide will aid your installation of the following Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) parts:

• Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
    • Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) LCD Screen Replacement
    • Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) LCD + Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement

Essential Tools:

• Safe Pry Opening Tool
    • Small Phillips Screwdriver (#00)
    • Heat Gun/Hair Dryer

Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) Tear Down Guide:

• In order to get started with the repair you will first need to completely power down your device.
    • After the device is powered down you can start separating the unit's back cover from the screen assembly and also the motherboard.
    • Due to the fact the two are sealed together very firmly on this model, it may be very advantageous to begin with a small knife to release the first clips.
    • Normally if you start on the side of the device you will find it to be the easiest route. Next step use your pry tool to wedge between the seams around the sides and corners of the device until the back cover detaches from the tablet. Also be sure not to pry near the USB port located on the base.

nexus-7-2-repair.jpg

• After you have removed the back cover from the tablet, simply use your pry tool to release the battery connector which is found on the top right side of your device. This is done to be certain that the device is totally powered down.
    • Next you will use a Small Phillips screwdriver to unscrew the four (4) Small Phillips screws which are depicted in red in the figure below.
    • Also depicted below in the figure are the remaining flex cable connections which are colored green. Use your pry tool to release the flex cable connections. It is important to use caution and remove the connections while avoiding tearing any of the cables.
    • Once the flex cables are released, you will be able to carefully take out the battery and the housing it is located in.

nexus-7-2-repair-1.jpg

• Now that the cables have been released you will be able to detach the five (5) connections colored in green below using your pry tool, as well as extract all the screws (seventeen of them) from both the top and bottom motherboard components using your Small Phillips screwdriver.
    • Something to be aware of is the fact that the Small Phillips screws are unequal in size so it will be very important to keep them separated to ensure that the screws are later placed in the correct spots.

nexus-7-2-repair-2.jpg

• After you have removed the screws, you will then use your pry tool to take out the bottom motherboard component (Figure 3.1 ), along with the loud speaker underneath the motherboard (Figure 3.2).
    • You will find another connector under the loud speaker and using the pry tool can release it. Holding this part down is adhesive tape which needs to be cautiously removed (Figure 3.3) and this will make it possible to pull out the long orange flex cable.
    • Then using your pry tool carefully take out the top motherboard component. It is important to be certain all connections have been released from this piece to ensure that none of the flex cables release while you remove the motherboard.
    • Following the removal of the top motherboard component, you will then be able to remove the top speaker underneath it, which is displayed in Figure 3.5.
    • The last part you will need to extract from the housing is the button flex cable found on the left side. Using your pry tool, lightly press against this cable in order to release the cable that is bound to the housing with adhesive (Figure 3.6). After this piece is removed it will be possible to begin taking the glass touch screen off of the the housing.

nexus-7-2-repair-3.jpg

• Prior to taking off the screen, you will need to use a heat gun (on low) or a hair dryer to heat up the sides and corners of the device for approximately 40 seconds to 1 minute, this will make sure the tablet is not excessively heated. Once the device is heated up the adhesive that holds the screen together will noticeably loosen.
    • Next, after the sides and corners have been heated up, use your pry tool to shim in between the housing and the screen assembly, and be sure to run the tool around the sides of the entire device.
    • Finally, substitute in the new parts while discarding damaged parts and simply reverse these steps in order to reassemble your device back together.

RepairsUniverse's Repair Guides are for informational and learning purposes only. Perform this repair at your own risk.
    This guide is excellent.
    Well, it happened. :( Screen broke just by setting it down face-up on the pavement. These devices are incredibly fragile.

Is there any retailer that currently sells the replacement glass/digitizer? I am not thrilled to pay more than I paid for the device to have it repaired ($208!)

We're expecting to receive parts for this device. Check back with us soon.
    Awesome. Is there any possibility you can give me a rough estimate for the part and for full repair? I am subscribing to this thread so I will be looking for your reply when the parts become available. Thank you very much.

By the way, if you ever need information on parts, flashing, or programming for Cricket Communications, I am your man!

Thank you so very much, I've had this device for 10 days and I'm pretty much devastated. :(
    I'll have a better idea when we get the parts in. I'll try and keep you updated or you can visit my website from the link in my signature.

Hello,