Search This thread

graphdarnell

Jan 25, 2012
I've been heating the borders of the screen for nearly an hour now with my heat gun set on 110c, with absolutely no indication the glue is softening. What am I doing wrong?

Once you get the LCD/digitizer assembly off the tab, the procedure is pretty much the same as in this thread for the Nexus 7 (2012). If you follow the procedure laid out therein, you should be able to separate the LCD from the Digitizer. The trick is to do so without damaging the half that still functions.

Don't believe it cannot be done because the parts are "fused" together. They are not; they're bonded together with optically clear adhesive, same as phone touchscreens. There are at least 3 different ways to go about it, depending on what you have at hand. One member even stated he separated the two by accident while cleaning the tape residue off the digitizer, and the cleaner seeped in between to dissolve the bond.

Try it first, and if you fail, you can always pay for the whole assembly later.

adomol

Jan 25, 2014
/etc/init.d
Yes the digitizer and LCD combination screen is still adhered to the front bezel of the device. You will need a heat gun to remove this adhesive.

@repairsuniverse Is that bezel going to be available for purchase? Can't seemed to find it. Maybe I'm searching for it the wrong way. The bezel for original N7 was easy enough to find, but for the N7 2013 I'm having no luck.

graphdarnell

Jan 25, 2012
I just finished "un-fusing" the lcd from a broken digitizer. It goes without saying that the lcd was hopelessly smeared with residual glue. People in the Nexus 7 forum lamented about how it was impossible to remove traces of OCA without special chemicals. I found out from another member that the best tool to use is an eraser.

You can use the type fitted to a pencil to lift off the residue by rubbing in a crisscross pattern, while allowing the eraser to just touch the glass surface without too much pressure. You might need a softer eraser to clean up afterwards, but you certainly don't need no stinking chemicals. Takes a while but there's no agent that attacks the polaroid layer, so it's safe.

madbat99

Mar 1, 2014
I didn't have the patience to try to separate them, I just bought and replaced the assembled LCD digitizer. It was my first time and was pretty easy. It came with the black adhesive to bond to the frame already on it. That "bezel is the whole frame of the tab.

metisro

May 19, 2014
Taking the back cover off looks to be a pain and almost impossible without doing damage. They are very well built.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Actually is not so hard, I did it with my fingers, you need only to put some pressure on the margins but gentle ;) ,
and will come out without problems.

altimax98

Nov 7, 2008
Florida
Just wondering, do the digitizers ship with adhesive?

What are you guys using when you are replacing just the digitizer and not the LCD.

Pabloaesp

May 29, 2014
Problem with screen

Good night, im from Venezuela, i have a problem with my nexus 7 2013 screen, the device turn on but the display dont lights up, just i hear the sound of unlock and buttons, the led is on too. Some tutorials tell about how repair that but everything say "turn on the usb debugging". how i can turn on de usb debugging if im blind. i cant see anything. another way to repair this?? very thanks ooooh gods of the android tecnologies.

viki_beginner

Jun 23, 2013
Mumbai
help

I Need help.. i am from INDIA..
My nexus 7 2013 screen has broke it has abig crack but partially where there is no crack touch screen is working fine and also display is visible..

by that i mean can watch movies and do stuff using usb mouse and keyboard..

Noob question : i wanted to know here i have to replace the whole lcd panel with digitizer ?

i am not much aware of it what i ams uppose ti do here can anyone help me.. also if anyone can provide me link from wheer i can get my nexus 7 display repaired... cuz ASUS is charging way too much..

also if not service provider.. then from where i can buy the display.. any link for INDIA..

Thanks in advance fro help.. god bless..

webeougher

Jan 24, 2009
Thanks for the awesome guide. I have my tablet apart and I'm getting ready to put it back together, but I notice that my replacement LCD/digitizer combo doesn't appear to have any adhesive on the inside edge. Do you sell a one-piece adhesive "decal", or is double-sided screen adhesive tape suitable?

brandogg

Jul 27, 2008
It should have come with the adhesive, if not then it's probably not an OEM screen - but I would recommend the adhesive from etechparts.com, probably a 3mm or 5mm roll. It's very strong.

Sleepy!

Jul 20, 2010
Hi can someone please give me the part no from the screen's flex cable? (See attached image)
I'm trying to order a new screen and need the number for reference.

graphdarnell

Jan 25, 2012
Quick question: has anyone been able to replace just the digitizer and get it working 100%. I've tried 4 different new ones and none worked as it should. Most would work in large part, but not 100%. And the working areas varied from glass to glass. Ghost touches would appear if I bent the glass ever so slightly. The digitizer/lcd combo is a different story: no problem. This is very different from my experiences with the 7 2012. Anyone?

MiRaCL

Feb 5, 2010
Oslo
I'm buying a 2013 nexus 7 32gb cheap today. Half of the digitizer is defective. I'm looking at a new front assembly on ebay, but this doesn't come with adhesive. Any recommendations on what kind of adhesive i can use?

lilaznyume

Oct 9, 2014
lcd and digitizer

So the inside of my nexus 7 2nd gen is cracked I'm guessing thats the lcd and the touch isn't responsive. Does that mean I need to replace the lcd and the digitzer? I also bought the lcd screen and touchscreen digitzer online separatly not assembled. I read that it's nearly impossible to put the lcd and digitzer together is that true?

madbat99

Mar 1, 2014
So the inside of my nexus 7 2nd gen is cracked I'm guessing thats the lcd and the touch isn't responsive. Does that mean I need to replace the lcd and the digitzer? I also bought the lcd screen and touchscreen digitzer online separatly not assembled. I read that it's nearly impossible to put the lcd and digitzer together is that true?

It's a special adhesive bond. I don't know if anyone has done it. If you need both, your best bet is to buy them pre assembled.

bmschech

Sep 19, 2011
Easy way to remove the bezel

Thanks for the great article. It made disassembling my Nexus 7 pretty much a snap.
I once before tried this repair and managed to melt the bezel with the heat gun when attempting to remove the old lcd/digitizer. I didn't want to go through this again so I decided to try something new. I put the old screen, still glued to the bezel into a toaster oven set at a pretty low temperature--around 150 or less, I would guess. I left it there for about an hour and found that the glue had weakened and it was easy to pry the screen from the bezel. The top and bottom borders didn't easily come free but it only took a few minutes to scrape the glass and adhesive off with a knife. I think that if I had left the assembly in the oven for longer--two or three hours, say--the process would have been easier still.

I hope others find this useful. With this guide, taking apart and reassembling the Nexus is easy. My method pretty much eliminates the one serious hurdle to fixing the screen.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is the screen on your Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) cracked or broken? You can repair the screen or other internal parts and components with this in depth repair guide. The guide will take you through each crucial step that will be essential in effectively performing a successful and safe opening of your device and repair nearly any desired part.

This guide will aid your installation of the following Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) parts:

• Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
    • Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) LCD Screen Replacement
    • Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) LCD + Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement

Essential Tools:

• Safe Pry Opening Tool
    • Small Phillips Screwdriver (#00)
    • Heat Gun/Hair Dryer

Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) Tear Down Guide:

• In order to get started with the repair you will first need to completely power down your device.
    • After the device is powered down you can start separating the unit's back cover from the screen assembly and also the motherboard.
    • Due to the fact the two are sealed together very firmly on this model, it may be very advantageous to begin with a small knife to release the first clips.
    • Normally if you start on the side of the device you will find it to be the easiest route. Next step use your pry tool to wedge between the seams around the sides and corners of the device until the back cover detaches from the tablet. Also be sure not to pry near the USB port located on the base.

nexus-7-2-repair.jpg

• After you have removed the back cover from the tablet, simply use your pry tool to release the battery connector which is found on the top right side of your device. This is done to be certain that the device is totally powered down.
    • Next you will use a Small Phillips screwdriver to unscrew the four (4) Small Phillips screws which are depicted in red in the figure below.
    • Also depicted below in the figure are the remaining flex cable connections which are colored green. Use your pry tool to release the flex cable connections. It is important to use caution and remove the connections while avoiding tearing any of the cables.
    • Once the flex cables are released, you will be able to carefully take out the battery and the housing it is located in.

nexus-7-2-repair-1.jpg

• Now that the cables have been released you will be able to detach the five (5) connections colored in green below using your pry tool, as well as extract all the screws (seventeen of them) from both the top and bottom motherboard components using your Small Phillips screwdriver.
    • Something to be aware of is the fact that the Small Phillips screws are unequal in size so it will be very important to keep them separated to ensure that the screws are later placed in the correct spots.

nexus-7-2-repair-2.jpg

• After you have removed the screws, you will then use your pry tool to take out the bottom motherboard component (Figure 3.1 ), along with the loud speaker underneath the motherboard (Figure 3.2).
    • You will find another connector under the loud speaker and using the pry tool can release it. Holding this part down is adhesive tape which needs to be cautiously removed (Figure 3.3) and this will make it possible to pull out the long orange flex cable.
    • Then using your pry tool carefully take out the top motherboard component. It is important to be certain all connections have been released from this piece to ensure that none of the flex cables release while you remove the motherboard.
    • Following the removal of the top motherboard component, you will then be able to remove the top speaker underneath it, which is displayed in Figure 3.5.
    • The last part you will need to extract from the housing is the button flex cable found on the left side. Using your pry tool, lightly press against this cable in order to release the cable that is bound to the housing with adhesive (Figure 3.6). After this piece is removed it will be possible to begin taking the glass touch screen off of the the housing.

nexus-7-2-repair-3.jpg

• Prior to taking off the screen, you will need to use a heat gun (on low) or a hair dryer to heat up the sides and corners of the device for approximately 40 seconds to 1 minute, this will make sure the tablet is not excessively heated. Once the device is heated up the adhesive that holds the screen together will noticeably loosen.
    • Next, after the sides and corners have been heated up, use your pry tool to shim in between the housing and the screen assembly, and be sure to run the tool around the sides of the entire device.
    • Finally, substitute in the new parts while discarding damaged parts and simply reverse these steps in order to reassemble your device back together.

RepairsUniverse's Repair Guides are for informational and learning purposes only. Perform this repair at your own risk.
    This guide is excellent.
    Well, it happened. :( Screen broke just by setting it down face-up on the pavement. These devices are incredibly fragile.

Is there any retailer that currently sells the replacement glass/digitizer? I am not thrilled to pay more than I paid for the device to have it repaired ($208!)

We're expecting to receive parts for this device. Check back with us soon.
    Awesome. Is there any possibility you can give me a rough estimate for the part and for full repair? I am subscribing to this thread so I will be looking for your reply when the parts become available. Thank you very much.

By the way, if you ever need information on parts, flashing, or programming for Cricket Communications, I am your man!

Thank you so very much, I've had this device for 10 days and I'm pretty much devastated. :(
    I'll have a better idea when we get the parts in. I'll try and keep you updated or you can visit my website from the link in my signature.
    photo for the attached link has the ribbon connector coming out the side, like on the older nexus model. My nexus 7 (2013) has the ribbon connector coming out the bottom. Is it possible that the wrong photo is posted with the link or do you guarantee that this is the correct part for the 2013 model.

$129 is a reasonable price if this is in fact the correct price for the correct part.

double check and confirm.

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

edit- I read "this is"... not is this.

In my opinion/expirience this is the correct replacement part for the older nexus 7 Not the 2014 model.

Hello,

Hey you have the nexus 7 ( 2nd Gen ). Where the flex cable comes from the bottom. Go to our site and search ITEM#: 12-G-0798

Should put you right as rain. We ship fast so hope this helps. :good: