Search This thread

shikhar623

Feb 18, 2013
Nba
Cross compatibility?

Hi friends.
My nexus 7 2013 LTE's screen got cracked. I am getting the nexus 7 2012 led screen online. Shall I but it? Will it be compatible with nexus 2013 LTE?

noahvt

Jan 27, 2013
Antwerpen
I have a nexus 7 2nd WiFi 16GB, do you think it's possible to change the bord with the hard disc, with another board, but from a model with LTE and 32GB ? Are they compatible ?

Thank's for the quick answer ;)

No, you'll need the LTE case too... the LTE board has a sim card slot built in and I believe it won't fit if there is no hole in the case for it, and in the case of mobile electronics we no longer speak of a hard drive, it's called NAND/EMMC/flash ;)

_ck_

Apr 9, 2011
I need more guidance on how to properly disconnect the silver flat cable that connects to the usb daughter board ?

I cannot quite figure it out, even after seeing it done in youtube videos.

update: got it!

this video helped around the 1.5 minute mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG6A_RBX-v0

used a guitar pick to lift the tiny little ribbon holders, it is counter intuitive, you lift the WHITE part, not the black parts, and just be super dooper gentle

Last edited:

Ninja_Gaiden

Oct 20, 2013
Damaged silver flex ribbon connector

I recently replaced the lcd screen and digitizer on my Nexus 2013 LTE but I broken the flew cable ribbon connector and now it will not power on after I reassembled my N7. Is there a way to repair the connector on the daughter board (Usb charging board)? Also does it affecting the unit from powering on?

Attachments

• nexus-7-2-repair-1.jpg
    nexus-7-2-repair-1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
Sep 9, 2007
thanks for great guide, but i'm still confused, i got broken screen on my nexus 7 2013 and half touch is working, do i need to replace screen and touch or i need to replace whole display or just try to buy as called "Touch Screen Digitizer " ?

thanks !

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
thanks for great guide, but i'm still confused, i got broken screen on my nexus 7 2013 and half touch is working, do i need to replace screen and touch or i need to replace whole display or just try to buy as called "Touch Screen Digitizer " ?

thanks !

If the LCD assy and the digitizer is broken, then you'll need both: http://www.etradesupply.com/asus-google-nexus-7-2013-lcd-screen-and-digitizer-assembly-b-stock.html

If it's just the LCD then you can use this, but you'll need to be handy with a heat gun: http://www.etradesupply.com/asus-google-nexus-7-2013-digitizer-touch-screen.html

This video is pretty decent at showing the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAlNuGrGDuU

Last edited:
Reactions: fantabox01

Ninja_Gaiden

Oct 20, 2013
charging board for the N7 LTE version?

By any chance do you know where I can buy the charging board for the N7 LTE version?

If the LCD assy and the digitizer is broken, then you'll need both: http://www.etradesupply.com/asus-google-nexus-7-2013-lcd-screen-and-digitizer-assembly-b-stock.html

If it's just the LCD then you can use this, but you'll need to be handy with a heat gun: http://www.etradesupply.com/asus-google-nexus-7-2013-digitizer-touch-screen.html

This video is pretty decent at showing the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAlNuGrGDuU

jimbo34

Aug 7, 2009
Just replaced the screen on my N7 2013 with a complete lcd, digitizer and frame. I followed all the steps but when I switch on screen stays black. I know the n7 is on as it makes the charging sound when I plug it in so it must be booted. I've checked all connections and they seem ok. Any idea what is the issue and what I could have damaged?

madbat99

Mar 1, 2014
Just replaced the screen on my N7 2013 with a complete lcd, digitizer and frame. I followed all the steps but when I switch on screen stays black. I know the n7 is on as it makes the charging sound when I plug it in so it must be booted. I've checked all connections and they seem ok. Any idea what is the issue and what I could have damaged?
Ribbon cables are very sensitive. And sometimes they don't plug in all the way. It's always possible that you got a faulty LCD+digitizer combo. It happens.

ghaeh

Jun 17, 2018
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Nexus 5
It's been quiet here, but here's a recap of issues I've encountered.

AliExpress has proven a good source for parts, but delivery can take a few weeks. Typically I order multiples of parts so I can replace dead part without having to wait. Also I have two N7 2013s.

The LCD and touchscreen can be ordered with the frame which I find really handy, but you still have to heat gun the on/off/volume switch or order a new one.

If you order the frame you can get away with leaving the white flex cable connected to the main and USB boards - and perhaps camera and speakers.

The touchscreen is very sensitive to misaligned connection to the USB board and the flex cable at both ends.

Also the flex cable carries charging and data from the USB, and possibly rotation signals.

It helps to have a magnifier light.

Cleaning with Isopropyl alcohol can improve touchscreen response.

One tablet was not charging. New battery did not help. Realigning flex cable helped a bit, but finally replaced USB board and more USB cables worked.

Now I have a battery that is likely still good.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is the screen on your Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) cracked or broken? You can repair the screen or other internal parts and components with this in depth repair guide. The guide will take you through each crucial step that will be essential in effectively performing a successful and safe opening of your device and repair nearly any desired part.

This guide will aid your installation of the following Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) parts:

• Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
    • Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) LCD Screen Replacement
    • Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) LCD + Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement

Essential Tools:

• Safe Pry Opening Tool
    • Small Phillips Screwdriver (#00)
    • Heat Gun/Hair Dryer

Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) Tear Down Guide:

• In order to get started with the repair you will first need to completely power down your device.
    • After the device is powered down you can start separating the unit's back cover from the screen assembly and also the motherboard.
    • Due to the fact the two are sealed together very firmly on this model, it may be very advantageous to begin with a small knife to release the first clips.
    • Normally if you start on the side of the device you will find it to be the easiest route. Next step use your pry tool to wedge between the seams around the sides and corners of the device until the back cover detaches from the tablet. Also be sure not to pry near the USB port located on the base.

nexus-7-2-repair.jpg

• After you have removed the back cover from the tablet, simply use your pry tool to release the battery connector which is found on the top right side of your device. This is done to be certain that the device is totally powered down.
    • Next you will use a Small Phillips screwdriver to unscrew the four (4) Small Phillips screws which are depicted in red in the figure below.
    • Also depicted below in the figure are the remaining flex cable connections which are colored green. Use your pry tool to release the flex cable connections. It is important to use caution and remove the connections while avoiding tearing any of the cables.
    • Once the flex cables are released, you will be able to carefully take out the battery and the housing it is located in.

nexus-7-2-repair-1.jpg

• Now that the cables have been released you will be able to detach the five (5) connections colored in green below using your pry tool, as well as extract all the screws (seventeen of them) from both the top and bottom motherboard components using your Small Phillips screwdriver.
    • Something to be aware of is the fact that the Small Phillips screws are unequal in size so it will be very important to keep them separated to ensure that the screws are later placed in the correct spots.

nexus-7-2-repair-2.jpg

• After you have removed the screws, you will then use your pry tool to take out the bottom motherboard component (Figure 3.1 ), along with the loud speaker underneath the motherboard (Figure 3.2).
    • You will find another connector under the loud speaker and using the pry tool can release it. Holding this part down is adhesive tape which needs to be cautiously removed (Figure 3.3) and this will make it possible to pull out the long orange flex cable.
    • Then using your pry tool carefully take out the top motherboard component. It is important to be certain all connections have been released from this piece to ensure that none of the flex cables release while you remove the motherboard.
    • Following the removal of the top motherboard component, you will then be able to remove the top speaker underneath it, which is displayed in Figure 3.5.
    • The last part you will need to extract from the housing is the button flex cable found on the left side. Using your pry tool, lightly press against this cable in order to release the cable that is bound to the housing with adhesive (Figure 3.6). After this piece is removed it will be possible to begin taking the glass touch screen off of the the housing.

nexus-7-2-repair-3.jpg

• Prior to taking off the screen, you will need to use a heat gun (on low) or a hair dryer to heat up the sides and corners of the device for approximately 40 seconds to 1 minute, this will make sure the tablet is not excessively heated. Once the device is heated up the adhesive that holds the screen together will noticeably loosen.
    • Next, after the sides and corners have been heated up, use your pry tool to shim in between the housing and the screen assembly, and be sure to run the tool around the sides of the entire device.
    • Finally, substitute in the new parts while discarding damaged parts and simply reverse these steps in order to reassemble your device back together.

RepairsUniverse's Repair Guides are for informational and learning purposes only. Perform this repair at your own risk.
    This guide is excellent.
    Well, it happened. :( Screen broke just by setting it down face-up on the pavement. These devices are incredibly fragile.

Is there any retailer that currently sells the replacement glass/digitizer? I am not thrilled to pay more than I paid for the device to have it repaired ($208!)

We're expecting to receive parts for this device. Check back with us soon.
    Awesome. Is there any possibility you can give me a rough estimate for the part and for full repair? I am subscribing to this thread so I will be looking for your reply when the parts become available. Thank you very much.

By the way, if you ever need information on parts, flashing, or programming for Cricket Communications, I am your man!

Thank you so very much, I've had this device for 10 days and I'm pretty much devastated. :(
    I'll have a better idea when we get the parts in. I'll try and keep you updated or you can visit my website from the link in my signature.
    photo for the attached link has the ribbon connector coming out the side, like on the older nexus model. My nexus 7 (2013) has the ribbon connector coming out the bottom. Is it possible that the wrong photo is posted with the link or do you guarantee that this is the correct part for the 2013 model.

$129 is a reasonable price if this is in fact the correct price for the correct part.

double check and confirm.

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

edit- I read "this is"... not is this.

In my opinion/expirience this is the correct replacement part for the older nexus 7 Not the 2014 model.

Hello,

Hey you have the nexus 7 ( 2nd Gen ). Where the flex cable comes from the bottom. Go to our site and search ITEM#: 12-G-0798

Should put you right as rain. We ship fast so hope this helps. :good: