Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

t1mur

Jan 20, 2013
timur.mobi

tylerdurden83

May 28, 2011
What part of the Linux kernel license are you referring to?
I guess when you accuse someone of illegal practice, you know what you are talking about. Or maybe not?

While searching for a reference, please also take a look at what people say about my work, here:
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/37755-timurs-kernel-usb-rom/

@flyboy1100: There is absolutely no gray area.

I'm one of those that made Qnap oblige to the GPL licence and release the kernel sources

tylerdurden83

May 28, 2011
Of course. But you claim, I act in illegal ways, because I am not making a free version available to you. Which is pure slander.

So, let me get this straight, why Samsung, Htc, Qnap, etc, have to make the sources available to ME, you, and everyone else, and you dont?
I wanna see where in the licence it says that you can, and they cant

Also notice this:

No. However, if someone pays your fee and gets a copy, the GPL gives them the freedom to release it to the public, with or without a fee. For example, someone could pay your fee, and then put her copy on a web site for the general public.

So yeah, surely you know that if I buy a copy, Im allowed to put it on the net for free, which I'm tempted to do atm ;)

Last edited:

t1mur

Jan 20, 2013
timur.mobi
So yeah, surely you know that if I buy a copy, Im allowed to put it on the net for free, which I'm tempted to do atm ;)

Like all sponsor, you will receive full access to binaries and full release kernel sources. You will be free to look at everything. Make sure the code isn't doing anything nasty. Build your own kernel. And add new functionality on top, etc. This is all fine with me. You should be free. However, I am asking my sponsors to not redistribute my sources on a voluntary basis. Because, what would happen otherwise? I would stop receiving funds for my work. Would this be just in your worldview? And then what?

I think you understand the framework better now. Which is why I would expect you to take back your false accusations.

Reactions: deadgiveaway

saf100792

Oct 26, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is because... you don't call timur.event.gotoSuspend.
timur.event.gotoSuspend intent broadcast calls you: https://timur.mobi/timurs-kernel-n7-2013/faq/#broadcast-intents

What about this? Use timur.event.gotoSuspend event to turn the screen off (via tasker),
then do your data processing "in the dark" and finally, suspend transition will happens at
the +5 minute mark.

@chaserwaser25: Don't know wugfresh, but if it...
- unlocks the bootloader (what you can use "fastboot oem unlock" for)
- installs a custom recovery system (like CWM recovery)
- installs SuperSU (or something providing the same functionality)
...then yeah, this is all it takes.

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

v2 for 4.4.4 (unlike v1 for 4.4.2 - and unlike stock Android kernel) enables you to load kernel modules (loadable device drivers) at startup.
I am providing easycap + powermate modules (.ko files, via separate download).
Timur's Kernel v2 also makes /dev/video* devices accessible to 3rd party apps. No need to change permissions for the video devices. (Also working post suspend.)
I am not currently providing DVB drivers.

OK cool. Another question tho? Did the first gen kernel have a driver for them? I remember using one with my 2012

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

tylerdurden83

May 28, 2011
I think you understand the framework better now. Which is why I would expect you to take back your false accusations.

This is not how it should be done. I cant care less if you charge for user support or stuff like that.
The kernel source must be released publically, not only to those that "buy" your derivative. Samsung is obliged to publish the sources, even to ME, that don't own a Samsung, not just to those that bought its products.

Other kernel developers accept free donations, which are not required to get their kernel source. If people think that your work will be worth it and they will want you to continue, they will donate. This is a sale, not a donation, and no, it is not permitted:

the GPL allows licensees to copy, modify, and distribute GPL-licensed code, provided that the user then license the derivative work under the same terms. That is, the licensee can do whatever she wants with GPL software, provided that she license her derivative works under the GPL. This effectively means that the creator of the derivative must give away her work for free, as will be shown

The GPL requires that licensees:

Not establish proprietary rights in the software (Once you write it, everyone gets to enjoy it);
Provide the source code (or access to the source code) along with the object code. (Basically, requires you to reveal or "open source" exactly how you make the software do what it does);

Include in the software notice that the code is subject to the GPL (So that everyone downstream can be warned); and
Accept the GPL code without warranties of any kind (You got it for free, so you cannot complain if it does not work).

Source: http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/1532.html

This week I'll submit this to the legal department of my software company, if they say that I'm wrong I'll edit my posts and take back what I said, but if they don't, I expect you to start obliging to the licence and open the sources to everyone.

EDIT: because threatening to stop if someone uses their own right of redistributing it for free isn't a gray line as it was said by @flyboy1100, right? ;)

Last edited:

t1mur

Jan 20, 2013
timur.mobi
OK cool. Another question tho? Did the first gen kernel have a driver for them? I remember using one with my 2012

v1, like all stock Android kernels, does not support loadable kernel modules. v2 has this enabled.

This week I'll submit this to the legal department of my software company, if they say that I'm wrong I'll edit my posts and take back what I said

Good.

"For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee , you must give the recipients all the rights that you have."

Source: GNU General Public License v2.0 http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html

flyboy1100

Jul 2, 2010
What part of the Linux kernel license are you referring to?
I guess when you accuse someone of illegal practice, you know what you are talking about. Or maybe not?

While searching for a reference, please also take a look at what people say about my work, here:
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/37755-timurs-kernel-usb-rom/

@flyboy1100: There is absolutely no gray area.

I meant no offense, I haven't actually read the gpl. I know for the most part Linux is free, but there are distros that do cost money (our at least there used to be). I also know that this isn't specifically Linux, but is based upon it. Either way like I already stated, I have no regrets about sending the money your way. The almost constant updates and excellent tech support have been top notch!

And I would do it again!
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2014
Buzzing/hum/whine while charging and playing audio

I've looked high and low and figured this would be the best place to ask this.

I'm experiencing some sever buzzing/hum/whine in my audio system when the tablet is charging. I've tried re-grounding everything, grounding the RCA jacks, different power adapters and cables but have had no luck. I can't post links yet, but if you search for "Nexus 7 2013 electrical buzzing" one of the youtube results shows exactly what I'm hearing.

I just donated for the kernel and have everything working except for this audio issue. It'd be a major waste of $40 if I can't fix this.

Has anyone had the same issue and resolved it? Any suggestions on other things I can try?

Sic123

Nov 11, 2008
St George
its a ground issue the way that i got it to go away was put a separate 12 volt power supply that was grounded right to the chassis of my truck supposedly an isolated buck converter can will eliminate it but there hard to find except from china on ebay like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301196244919?lpid=82

I've looked high and low and figured this would be the best place to ask this.

I'm experiencing some sever buzzing/hum/whine in my audio system when the tablet is charging. I've tried re-grounding everything, grounding the RCA jacks, different power adapters and cables but have had no luck. I can't post links yet, but if you search for "Nexus 7 2013 electrical buzzing" one of the youtube results shows exactly what I'm hearing.

I just donated for the kernel and have everything working except for this audio issue. It'd be a major waste of $40 if I can't fix this.

Has anyone had the same issue and resolved it? Any suggestions on other things I can try?

Jun 20, 2014
its a ground issue the way that i got it to go away was put a separate 12 volt power supply that was grounded right to the chassis of my truck supposedly an isolated buck converter can will eliminate it but there hard to find except from china on ebay like this one

Just to clarify, you basically just added another 12V outlet that was grounded directly to the chassis and then used a 5V 2.1A adapter inside the new outlet?

Merkoen

Sep 27, 2013
suzukiblog.net
So, need a bit of advice..

I mounted my Nexus 7 (2013) yesterday in my car, and i got a FM-Radio and JoyCon (to control steering wheels functions) connected to my USB powered hub.
Everything works fine, but my tablet doesn't charge as good as I want.. I got the Timur's Kernel installed, activated "USB Fastcharge".

I also got the "PowerGen" adapter that most people recommend.

On the way home from work, It didn't even charge 1% (about 20mins drive time), And the screen was on auto light (very low light level at the time).

Any idea? Is there any other configuration i need to go through?

Also, I'm not sure if the "Deep Sleep" works like it should.. Again it's activated in the small app, but it lose about 5%~ power during the night.
I haven't installed so many apps yet because I want to do it slow to make sure everything works..

Any idea? :)

From what I've seen on youtube, people claim that the kernel only drains 1-2% during night and charge up like crazy while driving.. heh.
appreciate some answers :)

Other than that, it works perfectly - so far.

Jun 20, 2014
yes thats exactly what i did cause my 12V outlets are always on so i had to add a separate one

So I ran my 12V line directly from the battery to the 12V outlet, then the ground from the outlet to a decent ground point. This seemed to solve my issue at first, but then the noise suddenly came back. What I noticed is that at first, when there was no noise, the tablet was about 92% charged. However, once the tablet reached ~95% - 96% the noise suddenly came back. I'm at a loss now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    More good news!

By fixing a shortcoming in the default kernel, I was able to further reduce battery discharge in suspend mode.

With this modification in place, discharge in suspend mode will not be "around 4% to 7% in 10 hours", like mentioned above, but more like 1% - 2% in 24 hours. This is with the OTG adapter plugged and all USB devices connected.

It means, that you only need to charge your tablet for 6 minutes a day (or 45 minutes per week), to keep it at 100% charge level. And that your battery can stay operational through 50 days / 7 weeks of deep sleep. (Not yet tested in practice.)

The screenshot below was taken after waking my device after nearly 22 hours of deep sleep:

Screenshot_2014-04-03-14-19-30x.jpg

This modification is implemented in FI-kernel 04-02 (or newer). Note: you need to have services 03-28b (or newer) installed as well. Both installers are immediately available for download.

Thank you Kevin, for pointing me in the right direction.

Mod edit: Link removed.
    I am looking for a small number of users, ready to test Timur's Kernel v2.0 alpha on 4.4.3 (flo + deb).
    To begin with, you should have a rooted stock 4.4.3 on your tablet already.
    If things go well, I will do a v2.0 beta soft launch starting next week.
    By soft launch I mean a slowly widening user base for the v2.0 / 4.4.3 kernel.
    When the v2.0 kernel is confirmed to be as stable as the v1.0 kernel, the beta period will end - and the v1.0 release will be eol'd.
    If you are interested in participating, please drop me a line.
    Thread closed.

Xda is not the place to sell your work, if you don't want to share the fun for free with everyone then you are in the wrong place.

11. Don’t post with the intention of selling something.

Don’t use XDA to advertise your product or service. Proprietors of for-pay products or services, may use XDA to get feedback, provide beta access, or a free version of their product for XDA users and to offer support, but not to post with the intention of selling. This includes promoting sites similar / substantially similar to XDA-Developers.com.
    Do not post press releases, announcements, links to trial software or commercial services, unless you’re posting an exclusive release for XDA-Developers.com.
    Encouraging members to participate in forum activities on other phone related sites is prohibited.
    Off-site downloads are permitted if the site is non-commercial and does not require registration.
    Off-site downloads from sites requiring registration are NOT encouraged but may be permitted if both of the following conditions are met:
    A) The site belongs to a member of XDA-Developers with at least 1500 posts and 2 years membership, who actively maintains an XDA-Developers support thread(s) / posts, related to the download.
    B) The site is a relatively small, personal website without commercial advertising / links (i.e. not a competitor forum-based site with purposes and aims similar to those of XDA-Developers.com.)
    Sounds cool, cant wait to see the stable release.

Release v1.0 (May 06th and newer) has been made available to all my sponsors. After three month in beta, I am very confident with this release. Thank you very much for your support. If you cannot find the new installer, please contact me. I am still missing flo/deb info for a few users.

Release notes: https://timur.mobi/timurs-kernel-n7-2013/updates

Sorry, there will be no free-to-download version this time. My free-to-download solution for Nexus 7 2012 can be found here: http://rootzwiki.com/forum/513-nexus-7-development

To get access to Timur's Kernel for Nexus 7 2013, you need to become a sponsor. Please check this page on May 12th: https://timur.mobi/timurs-kernel-n7-2013

I will also make my kernel sources available to sponsors soon. Most likely starting the week after (May 19-25). If you like to get access to my kernel sources, please drop me a line.

Timur
    Quick update on the state of the project.

I have spent the last couple of weeks fixing two specific issues related to suspend mode:

Issue 1: On removal of external power, the screen was turning off, but the tablet did NOT transition into deep sleep. In this situation, the device would appear to be OFF, but the CPU was continuing to work and the tablet was discharging at a rate of about 4% per hour. In all cases this happened due to 3rd party "wake locks", preventing the device from entering suspend mode properly. All wake lock related issues should be fixed now.

Issue 2: Device has transitioned to deep sleep, but would wake up randomly, due to 3rd party "alarm events". The modified "Firm Sleep" functionality will now take care of all of these issues.

I added the following new info to PowerEventMgr, in order to make it possible for a user to verify proper suspend mode operations:

PEM-screen-off-suspend-duration-2.jpg

After waking a device from sleep (here: after ~10 hours), both duration values "Screen off" and "Last suspend" should be close to identical. It is OK for the two values to be roughly 60 seconds apart, like in the image above. This means that the tablet went into suspend mode ~60 seconds *after* the screen was switched off. And that the tablet did not wake up once during suspend mode. In full suspend mode, the battery will discharge 0.4% to 0.7% per hour (4% to 7% in 10 hours). Recharging back to 100% should be possible in about 20 - 25 minutes.

None of the core "charging while in host mode" code has been touched in the last couple of weeks.