Nexus 7 (2013) when connected to the computer (Linux Mint 20.1 or Windows 7) will charge but is not recognized by the PC

Search This thread

bobalex69

Feb 24, 2021
Hi,

I recently purchased a refurbished Nexus 7 (2013). It’s running Android version 6.0.1, the Developer options is activated, and USB Debugging is turned on.

It has worked perfectly since it was purchased last December until a few days ago. Now when I connect it to the computer the battery icon shows it is charging, but the usual USB options on the notification bar don’t appear. It’s not a defective USB cable as the same cable on the phone, a Nexus 5, shows the USB options for file transfer.

To rule out the possibility of app conflicts I did a factory reset using the power and volume buttons. Still no joy. I came here to ask if there is anything else I can do ... or is it a matter of replacing the USB port daughterboard?

Thanks ...

neilth

Mar 26, 2015
I have a Nexus 7 Deb 2013 with a similar problem. I have traced the problem down to the internal connector on the motherboard where the ribbon cable coming from the daughter board connects to the motherboard. Only if I apply pressure on this connector, does my PC recognize the Nexus 7. The back cover is designed to apply some pressure on this connector, so I may try adding some cardboard between the back cover and the connector to see if the increased pressure on the connector solves my problem. You quite possibly have the same problem.

Reactions: bobalex69

bobalex69

Feb 24, 2021
Please let me know how the cardboard fix works. Size, thickness, and placement. Cardboard I've got. Fresh out of Nexus 7 specific daughterboards. Will heat be a factor?

The workarounds so far are to transfer data to and from the server via WiFi and if/when the charger side of the USB port dies I was going to pick up a wireless charging pad. But cardboard sounds way cooler.

The point is this is a great tablet that I'd like to use for a Very Long Time.

I have a Nexus 7 Deb 2013 with a similar problem. I have traced the problem down to the internal connector on the motherboard where the ribbon cable coming from the daughter board connects to the motherboard. Only if I apply pressure on this connector, does my PC recognize the Nexus 7. The back cover is designed to apply some pressure on this connector, so I may try adding some cardboard between the back cover and the connector to see if the increased pressure on the connector solves my problem. You quite possibly have the same problem.

neilth

Mar 26, 2015
Please let me know how the cardboard fix works. Size, thickness, and placement. Cardboard I've got. Fresh out of Nexus 7 specific daughterboards. Will heat be a factor?

The workarounds so far are to transfer data to and from the server via WiFi and if/when the charger side of the USB port dies I was going to pick up a wireless charging pad. But cardboard sounds way cooler.

The point is this is a great tablet that I'd like to use for a Very Long Time.
I’m not that familiar with the flo version of N7, which are you having this problem with, deb or flo? On my Deb, there’s a wide ribbon cable for charging, SIM card and screen touch support and USB port data transfers. The flo version of this cable is narrower. If you remove the back cover from your tablet, there should be an insert on the inside of the cover which presses down on the motherboard’s ribbon cable connector. With the cover off and your computer connected to the USB port, press against this connector and see if pressing against the connector temporarily restores USB connectivity. If so, adding some cardboard between this connector and the back cover will increase the pressure applied by the back cover. Some experimentation will be required.
My problem started when I opened up my N7 to replace the battery. This required temporarily disconnecting the ribbon cable from the motherboard and when I got everything back together I had no touch input from the screen. I eventually discovered that pressure on the MB ribbon cable connector solved this problem and that this same cable carries the USB data too.
Good luck repairing your N7.

bobalex69

Feb 24, 2021
I’m not that familiar with the flo version of N7, which are you having this problem with, deb or flo? On my Deb, there’s a wide ribbon cable for charging, SIM card and screen touch support and USB port data transfers. The flo version of this cable is narrower. If you remove the back cover from your tablet, there should be an insert on the inside of the cover which presses down on the motherboard’s ribbon cable connector. With the cover off and your computer connected to the USB port, press against this connector and see if pressing against the connector temporarily restores USB connectivity. If so, adding some cardboard between this connector and the back cover will increase the pressure applied by the back cover. Some experimentation will be required.
My problem started when I opened up my N7 to replace the battery. This required temporarily disconnecting the ribbon cable from the motherboard and when I got everything back together I had no touch input from the screen. I eventually discovered that pressure on the MB ribbon cable connector solved this problem and that this same cable carries the USB data too.
Good luck repairing your N7.

I've got the WiFi (flo) Nexus 7. I've also got the burglary tools to break and enter The Phone. Did you ever get touch input back?

neilth

Mar 26, 2015
It’s pretty funny, I had given up and I was going to put the tablet in the e-recycling bin in town here when I happened to accidentally press on just the right spot on the back of my N7 and I got a touch response. So I took out the ribbon cable and cleaned the conductors and the MB connector which fixed the touch issue, but I still have your problem with USB connectivity which gets temporarily resolved by again applying pressure to the MB ribbon connector. As I said previously, some thin layers of cardboard placed between the connector and the back cover may just solve both our problems.

Reactions: bobalex69

bobalex69

Feb 24, 2021
It’s pretty funny, I had given up and I was going to put the tablet in the e-recycling bin in town here when I happened to accidentally press on just the right spot on the back of my N7 and I got a touch response. So I took out the ribbon cable and cleaned the conductors and the MB connector which fixed the touch issue, but I still have your problem with USB connectivity which gets temporarily resolved by again applying pressure to the MB ribbon connector. As I said previously, some thin layers of cardboard placed between the connector and the back cover may just solve both our problems.

I think I might try using playing cards (one at a time) until I get the desired (functional) thickness.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone