NEXUS 7 3G-"nakasig" - Jelly Bean/KitKat Discussions, Problems and Solutions

Search This thread

RohinZaraki

Sep 8, 2011

Hi Nexus 7 "Nakasig" users,

I would like to consider this thread as your one place to chat or anything else related to Jelly Bean on the NEXUS 7 - 3G

I need everyone help to keep this thread somewhat sane, report any trolling or flaming and don't respond to it.

Keep all your posts in this thread polite and make sure you follow The Forum Rules.

I request you to stop posting:
- 'Thanks this helped'
- 'Yeah Me too'
-'+1'

These kind of posts are useless instead use the thanks button to show your appreciation
For all your JB needs, go to:
==>[Index] All for NEXUS 7 - "Nakasig" - (GSM/HSPA+)

==>[GUIDE] Unlock and Root a Nexus 7 3G “Nakasig- Tilapia”

==> [GUIDE][BOOTLOADER][4.3] TILAPIA JWR66V - 4.23 Flash Image Instructions - UPDATE

==>[GUIDE]If you need some help for install SDK and ADB drivers in Win 7, you can use this guide which is really good and comprehensive for all of us

It will be better for you to find one thread where we can concentrate all discussions, problems and solutions for the Nexus 7 3G ;)

Last edited:

WarningHPB

Feb 6, 2011
Top man!

Any one got a working recovery and supersu/superuser that works with 4.2?

Since I've heard people losing 3G and stuff when they rooted, and I kinda don't want to have to set my stuff up again

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
Top man!

Any one got a working recovery and supersu/superuser that works with 4.2?

Since I've heard people losing 3G and stuff when they rooted, and I kinda don't want to have to set my stuff up again

You've probably heard that from idiots who don't know what they are doing.

The latest version of TWRP works perfectly fine with 4.2 (3G and not). I'm using it on my 3G without any issues.

And the previous 'su' binaries and apk's should be fine. Neither of them should cause any problems with the 3G functionality as they have nothing to do with it. I installed custom recovery and rooted mine the day I got it. Everything is perfect.

Also, absolute worst case scenario, if you do screw something up, it's easy to revert without losing all of your data.

Reactions: iBuzman

dave_uk

Jan 9, 2006
London
Hmm...I don't consider myself an idiot but did nothing more sinister than root and flash CWM and lost cellular data functionality completely at random two days later (unknown baseband). Had about 6 Android devices before this going back to HTC Hero, flashed all sorts, and never seen anything like it. Eventually had to flash factory image to get it back. Not especially helpful as inexplicable and not reproduced but worth saying nonetheless.

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Hmm...I don't consider myself an idiot but did nothing more sinister than root and flash CWM and lost cellular data functionality completely at random two days later (unknown baseband). Had about 6 Android devices before this going back to HTC Hero, flashed all sorts, and never seen anything like it. Eventually had to flash factory image to get it back. Not especially helpful as inexplicable and not reproduced but worth saying nonetheless.

FYI, there seems to be a sporadic bug in JB on my GNex where on certain reboots it says Unknown Baseband and IMEI in the About menu, and then on the next reboot it's fine. I am wondering if that same bug is cropping up on the N7, and it's just coincidentally happening on some people's devices after rooting, but it goes away later. On my GNex this issue is particularly noticeable if I gave the phone a full reboot from inside software (e.g. using the app Easy Reboot). Whereas a power off / power on does not as frequently run into this issue.

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive Recognized Deve
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
I'm looking forward to getting mine :) Ordered today and it shipped today! I'm going to give my 16gb (bought in Aug for $249 so no price mod for me :( ) to either my GF or my daughter. lol

Sorry for the OT post.. I'm just excited. It will be nice to not have to tether my N7 to my phone. I just switched to the shared data plan on AT&T so it will only cost me $10 to add the N7 to my plan :)

kitsunisan

Jan 2, 2009
Just fired up my 3g and will root it tomorrow, is there anything really different in rooting this thing vs the 16gb, anything I should watch out for?

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
Just fired up my 3g and will root it tomorrow, is there anything really different in rooting this thing vs the 16gb, anything I should watch out for?

No, they are identical from a rooting perspective. However, they do run slightly different versions of the image, so if you wind up flashing stock, use the right one.

death 90

Oct 19, 2011
so first my success, i have managed to get root and a TWRP recovery.

now my question in menus im seeing horizontal lines that move with the landscape. so as the phone rotates the screen, the lines also rotate. maybe its just the background design but it seems really awkward to me that they would intend from these lighter brighter lines to be there

death 90

Oct 19, 2011
if someone would do me a HUGE favor and get me a stock JVP15S recovery? i flashed over mine with CWM before i could back it up and now i have a 34mg OTA update i cant take because of the custom recovery image

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
if someone would do me a HUGE favor and get me a stock JVP15S recovery? i flashed over mine with CWM before i could back it up and now i have a 34mg OTA update i cant take because of the custom recovery image

I don't have my N7 yet, but on most Androids the stock recovery images do not vary much or at all between minor upgrades, so any stock recovery should be fine. Try the recovery.img inside the JOP40C image straight from Google. https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#nakasigjop40c

Worst case if the update still won't take, flash both system and boot from the stock image too (this will unroot you but so would the OTA, and you can fix that later), and then you'll be stock enough for OTAs to work the next time it prompts.

I'm not sure that you will find someone who can give you this file, cause it contains all personal data and apps.

The recovery partition does not contain any personal data or apps. Everything personal is in /data.

death 90

Oct 19, 2011
I'm not sure that you will find someone who can give you this file, cause it contains all personal data and apps.

im pretty sure the "recovery" partition doesn't contain any of those things. i don't want a stock rom, i need stock a recovery. twrp allows you to back up certain partitions such as boot, cache, and recovery

I don't have my N7 yet, but on most Androids the stock recovery images do not vary much or at all between minor upgrades, so any stock recovery should be fine. Try the recovery.img inside the JOP40C image straight from Google. https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#nakasigjop40c

Worst case if the update still won't take, flash both system and boot from the stock image too (this will unroot you but so would the OTA, and you can fix that later), and then you'll be stock enough for OTAs to work the next time it prompts.

The recovery partition does not contain any personal data or apps. Everything personal is in /data.

i just downloaded that ill try flashing it now i downloaded the "Google Nexus 7 Toolkit" and while it didn't work for me, it did provide a JRo03d stock recovery which i flashed with fastboot and that recovery did not work. when you nexus 7 arrives i believe it would be possible to recover the stock recovery using "fastboot boot twrp-recovery", ALTHOUGH im not sure when you would execute the "backup recovery" if it would read the phones actual partition or the image you uploaded and booted on

Last edited:

philos64

May 27, 2010
Somewhere in Brittany
Sorry for my quick answer, I haven't seen the "recovery.img". that's file system.zip or tar which contains apps and data for restore

And if you want the Factory image, go to the thread : [Index] All for NEXUS 7 - "nakasig" - (GSM/HSPA+) , it is on, ready for download ;)

death 90

Oct 19, 2011
ya i grabbed it thanks. what i don't understand is what the 34mg update is for? any ideas? i uploaded two shots, one settings page showing the build mine shipped with and the other is just the update screen i got showing size. Im about to flash the stock ROM from google now. we'll see how goes

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-20-03-09-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-20-03-09-17.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 490
  • Screenshot_2012-11-20-03-09-36.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-20-03-09-36.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 486

death 90

Oct 19, 2011
the 34mg update was "signed-nakasig-JOP40C-from-JVP15S". i was able to flash the recovery from the stock ROM JOP40C and use that to patch through android and avoid flashing usuing TWRP

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
im pretty sure the "recovery" partition doesn't contain any of those things. i don't want a stock rom, i need stock a recovery. twrp allows you to back up certain partitions such as boot, cache, and recovery

i just downloaded that ill try flashing it now i downloaded the "Google Nexus 7 Toolkit" and while it didn't work for me, it did provide a JRo03d stock recovery which i flashed with fastboot and that recovery did not work. when you nexus 7 arrives i believe it would be possible to recover the stock recovery using "fastboot boot twrp-recovery", ALTHOUGH im not sure when you would execute the "backup recovery" if it would read the phones actual partition or the image you uploaded and booted on

Honestly don't try toolkits. Just don't, because you don't know what commands or files they are really flashing, and especially because they were written for the wi-fi version. The stock recovery from the wi-fi version is not guaranteed to be compatible with the 3G version.

Sorry for my quick answer, I haven't seen the "recovery.img". that's file system.zip or tar which contains apps and data for restore

And if you want the Factory image, go to the thread : [Index] All for NEXUS 7 - "nakasig" - (GSM/HSPA+) , it is on, ready for download ;)

System.img is also devoid of personal information because to the standard end user it is write-protected. All the personal stuff is in the data partition.

the 34mg update was "signed-nakasig-JOP40C-from-JVP15S". i was able to flash the recovery from the stock ROM JOP40C and use that to patch through android and avoid flashing usuing TWRP

Glad it worked out for you. I had a feeling it was just going to give you JOP40C anyway.

spongers

Dec 6, 2006
So, I have been trying to root my 3G tablet (JOP40C), but have no luck. I installed TWRP and unlocked just fine using the Google Nexus 7 ToolKit 3.2. When I use the toolkit to root it seems like it is doing everything fine, reboots, and I do not see any errors during the process. However, when I access Titanium backup, or Root Checker it cannot gain root access. I have tried all the options in the toolkit and nothing is working. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks!

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
So, I have been trying to root my 3G tablet (JOP40C), but have no luck. I installed TWRP and unlocked just fine using the Google Nexus 7 ToolKit 3.2. When I use the toolkit to root it seems like it is doing everything fine, reboots, and I do not see any errors during the process. However, when I access Titanium backup, or Root Checker it cannot gain root access. I have tried all the options in the toolkit and nothing is working. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks!

Yes - Don't use a toolkit!

Since you already have a custom recovery, put the attached file on your sdcard and install it using TWRP. Then you should be good to go.

Attachments

• JB-SuperSU.zip
    561.7 KB · Views: 45

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi Nexus 7 "Nakasig" users,

I would like to consider this thread as your one place to chat or anything else related to Jelly Bean on the NEXUS 7 - 3G

I need everyone help to keep this thread somewhat sane, report any trolling or flaming and don't respond to it.

Keep all your posts in this thread polite and make sure you follow The Forum Rules.

I request you to stop posting:
    - 'Thanks this helped'
    - 'Yeah Me too'
    -'+1'

These kind of posts are useless instead use the thanks button to show your appreciation
    For all your JB needs, go to:
    ==>[Index] All for NEXUS 7 - "Nakasig" - (GSM/HSPA+)

==>[GUIDE] Unlock and Root a Nexus 7 3G “Nakasig- Tilapia”

==> [GUIDE][BOOTLOADER][4.3] TILAPIA JWR66V - 4.23 Flash Image Instructions - UPDATE

==>[GUIDE]If you need some help for install SDK and ADB drivers in Win 7, you can use this guide which is really good and comprehensive for all of us

It will be better for you to find one thread where we can concentrate all discussions, problems and solutions for the Nexus 7 3G ;)
    wait, so now im confused

what are the following three devices

Tilapia
    Grouper
    Nakasig

TIA

No, there are only two devices when it comes to hardware and image:
    Wi-Fi (all models) = nakasi - grouper
    3G/Wi-Fi = nakasig - talipia

The nakasi/nakasig is the image (operating system) and the grouper/talipia is the hardware build.

From a hardware and software perspective, they are almost identical. Which is why the grouper recoveries work on the talipia devices. But there are subtle differences (not to mention the 3G modem), so they are not 100% compatible. Since the updater script already verifies the software is talipia, I'm not sure why it does the secondary recovery check too. But suffice it to say, it can cause problems.

The work around is easy, remove those two lines, and it worked fine on mine. I figured I would upload it for others who also ran into the same issue. Until we have a "talipia" version of CWM or TWRP, OTA updates probably won't work out-of-the-box with custom recoveries.
    OP's change

From this wednesday, september 11th, I give to @RohinZaraki my OP which concern the thread discussion for the Google Nexus 7 3G in General sub-forum.
    I've moved for a another work and I need to reduce my contribution on xda and my N7 3g has been stolen, that's why I cannot continue to maintain this thread also.
    That's why I asked to RohinZaraki to take over and continue to follow and maintain this thread,

Good luck RohinZaraki
    ;)
    Hi,
    Tried to use search, but I couldn't ("sorry, search is not available").
    What's the difference (if any..) between nakasig and tilapia? I see posts refering to nakasig, others to tilapia.. Was wondering if it ahd something to do with the differences between yakju / takju with my precious GNex.

The Nexus 7 3G+ is aka "NAKASIG" for Google.
    But some users says Tilapia, because one of the files for the phone call apk is named "tilapia"
    assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "tilapia"
    getprop("ro.build.product") == "tilapia"

And for the N7 wifi model aka "NAKASI" it's "Grouper"
    That's all.
    The Nexus 7 3G+ is aka "NAKASIG" for Google.
    But some users says Tilapia, because one of the files for the phone call apk is named "tilapia"
    assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "tilapia"
    getprop("ro.build.product") == "tilapia"

And for the N7 wifi model aka "NAKASI" it's "Grouper"
    That's all.

Uhm, it's a little more then just "some users say Tilapia" because of the phone apk. In fact, it goes well beyond that file.

The nakasi / nakasig refers to the system software build. The former being for Wi-Fi only units, the latter for the 3G unit.

The grouper / talipia are the names given to the devices from a hardware perspective, respectively.

These are official names by Google (maybe Asus) to label the two different components. And while they are interchangeable, they do represent two different pieces.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone