Nexus 7 not recognised when connected via USB

Search This thread

reeza

Dec 26, 2010
Melbourne
Hello guys. I have found a solution for the exact same problem that might work for you guys. I went to device manager in my windows 8 pc and uninstalled the Nexus 7 and DELETED THE DRIVERS. Thing is, i had previously installed the drivers from the Nexus 7 toolkit. After deleting them, i unplugged and plugged the nexus 7 again and let windows do it's thing. The tablet was instantly recognized as a mass storage device.

Thanks Jean. I gave that a shot, unfortunately didn't help. Hope it can help someone else. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

sep33

Jan 14, 2011
Yeah not sure why but it hasn't helped. Thanks to everyone for their input and help. It works and reads it at my job I might just need a new PC at home

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mephistakitten

Jun 3, 2013
Having same problem...

Yeah not sure why but it hasn't helped. Thanks to everyone for their input and help. It works and reads it at my job I might just need a new PC at home

I suspect that USB 2.0 vs 3.0 ports might be one aspect of the problem. My standard plug is on the monitor and is probably usb or USB 2.0, while the ports on the front of my machine are 3.0. For some reason, devices have been having issues when connected to the USB ports on my monitor.

sep33

Jan 14, 2011
I suspect that USB 2.0 vs 3.0 ports might be one aspect of the problem. My standard plug is on the monitor and is probably usb or USB 2.0, while the ports on the front of my machine are 3.0. For some reason, devices have been having issues when connected to the USB ports on my monitor.

Thanks for the input on the USB 2.0 vs 3.0. Didn't know there was a difference. Will have have to check my work one

gnome9er

Oct 16, 2010
langley
twitter.com
no fix

I have tried everything to get this tablet to recognize in windows. What do i do? It was once able to be recognized then it just stopped working one day after using a different charger. Nothing has helped ive tried everything mentioned in this thread. I cant take it back cuz its used any suggestions please so many people have this problem i have noticed no solutions.

Confused Chimp

Dec 9, 2008
Fixed my Nexus 7 :D

I have tried everything to get this tablet to recognize in windows. What do i do? It was once able to be recognized then it just stopped working one day after using a different charger. Nothing has helped ive tried everything mentioned in this thread. I cant take it back cuz its used any suggestions please so many people have this problem i have noticed no solutions.

Managed to fix my Nexus 7. :laugh:

Symptoms I was experiencing:- could connect Nexus 7 to any PC, but either wouldn't be recognised at all or would show up as Nexus 7 under My Computer but I couldn't see any of the file structure. I can charge it without a problem, although most of the cables I have seem to be too loose in my Nexus 7 and so poor connection usually is the only reason it doesn't charge. When I first bought it I had no problems, and could connect it to my pc and transfer files etc. But recently it stopped working, I tried many cables and purchased a few as I thought it was a cable fault, particularly as the fitting isn't very tight.

But for me it was simply a software problem. Powering off the Nexus 7 didn't work, as its still a warm boot. I performed a cold reset, which is different from a factory reset. When you turn the power off on the Nexus 7, I assume some of the settings, data etc. is cached to the internal memory and so making booting faster.

To perform a cold boot:
1 - Power off your Nexus 7 as normal - (not standby, but properly power it down)

2 - Press and hold the Down volume button, and whilst continuing to hold it...

3 - Press and hold the power button. Keep both buttons pressed until you see the boot loader screen. - This is a screen where you see the little android robot on his back with his belly open. The touch screen doesn't work in this mode, you have to use the up and down arrows to select which option you need and then press the power button to confirm whichever option you have selected with the volume buttons.

3a - I choose to go into recovery mode next. I don't think this is required and I'm not suggesting you do. As I couldn't get the device to respond in this mode. It just sat there which a little red warning triangle in the middle of the screen with the words "no command" on screen. After a while I got bored of waiting so just pressed and held the power button and it reset itself and it now works fine with my PC again.

4 - Suggest you just choose start. which should cause the Nexus 7 to perform a cold boot. Hopefully this will mean the device will be recognised correctly by your computer.

Hope this helps some of you. Saves doing a factory reset. It worked for me, no garrentee it will work for you. Proceed at your own risk.
Cheers
CC :laugh:

Reactions: gnome9er

gnome9er

Oct 16, 2010
langley
twitter.com
gonna smash this thing

Managed to fix my Nexus 7. :laugh:

Symptoms I was experiencing:- could connect Nexus 7 to any PC, but either wouldn't be recognised at all or would show up as Nexus 7 under My Computer but I couldn't see any of the file structure. I can charge it without a problem, although most of the cables I have seem to be too loose in my Nexus 7 and so poor connection usually is the only reason it doesn't charge. When I first bought it I had no problems, and could connect it to my pc and transfer files etc. But recently it stopped working, I tried many cables and purchased a few as I thought it was a cable fault, particularly as the fitting isn't very tight.

But for me it was simply a software problem. Powering off the Nexus 7 didn't work, as its still a warm boot. I performed a cold reset, which is different from a factory reset. When you turn the power off on the Nexus 7, I assume some of the settings, data etc. is cached to the internal memory and so making booting faster.

To perform a cold boot:
1 - Power off your Nexus 7 as normal - (not standby, but properly power it down)

2 - Press and hold the Down volume button, and whilst continuing to hold it...

3 - Press and hold the power button. Keep both buttons pressed until you see the boot loader screen. - This is a screen where you see the little android robot on his back with his belly open. The touch screen doesn't work in this mode, you have to use the up and down arrows to select which option you need and then press the power button to confirm whichever option you have selected with the volume buttons.

3a - I choose to go into recovery mode next. I don't think this is required and I'm not suggesting you do. As I couldn't get the device to respond in this mode. It just sat there which a little red warning triangle in the middle of the screen with the words "no command" on screen. After a while I got bored of waiting so just pressed and held the power button and it reset itself and it now works fine with my PC again.

4 - Suggest you just choose start. which should cause the Nexus 7 to perform a cold boot. Hopefully this will mean the device will be recognised correctly by your computer.

Hope this helps some of you. Saves doing a factory reset. It worked for me, no garrentee it will work for you. Proceed at your own risk.
Cheers
CC :laugh:

Thanks for the response however i have tried this many times. The darn thing shows up as unknown device no matter what pc/os/cable i use. I cant use adb/fastboot all it does is charge and since i bought it used im guessing i cant return it. There has to be somebody who fixed this since there is so many people with the same problem.

barduds

Oct 2, 2012
i have windows xp at first it didnt see my n7 what i did was update my windows media player to 11 installed adb drivers for n7 i restart the pc disabled the usb debugging mode and it worked.. my xperia s has no prblem detecting when connected to pc.. sorry for my english

Sent from my Xperia S using xda premium

AvidHelp

Jun 13, 2013
What worked for me (on Windows 7x64) was:

Plug the Nexus 7 into your computer with the USB cable.
Open Device Manager.
Find "Samsung Device" near the middle and expand the node.
Right click on only "Android Composite ADB Interface". and select uninstall (I chose to delete the current driver as well, not sure if that matters).
Unplug the tablet and plug it back in.
At this point my Nexus 7 was recognized as an MTP device and allowed me to transfer files again after about 20 seconds it showed internal storage in explorer.​

I wanted to share what worked for me since the this thread topic still seems to be a common frustration today.

princebala

Dec 11, 2011
chennai
i am having the same problem here
the sad thing is my device is not even showing up n device manager as a unknown device

i am badly in need of rooting my device, but coudnt do it bcos of this issue
is there any other way to root the device and unlock the bootloader without connecting the device to computer?

Corintio

Jan 29, 2011
Bembibre
My solution

Hello there! Guys, this is how I solved it on my 64 bit Windows 8. I'm sorry the screenshots are in Spanish (my mother tongue), but I believe they're easy to follow.

First, in device manager I clicked on my Nexus 7 and selected update controller:

thump_8509438nexus71.jpg

I chose to select my own drivers, on my computer:

thump_8509444nexus72.jpg

thump_8509445nexus73.jpg

And here comes the fun part: remember to leave show compatible hardware checked, and you'll see the different ways your computer can deal with your tablet. Then, just select MTP USB.

thump_8509452nexus74.jpg

And here it is! I can't see the fancy name (Nexus 7), but I can copy files to and from it, so I'm a happy camper. :cowboy: :good:

thump_8509457nexus75.jpg

vilary

Jul 1, 2013
It Worked!

I did all the driver installs - several times.
The tablet definitely is seen by the computer in ADB mode.
Nexus 7 rootkit works on it.
but Windows XP did not see it as a USB device.
I turned off USB debugging on the Nexus 7 while in MTP mode. bingo, it immediately showed the device.
Your mileage may vary

I just turned off USB as you mentioned on your comment and low and behold it worked! Now I can see my Nexus 7 icon under "My Computer"
Thanks!

banimark

Jul 2, 2013
hi, i had a problem with usb. it would charge but wont connect to the pc. Did everything that was suggested here and nothing helped. so i did some research and solved my problem.
1. delete old drivers for my nexus 7
2. do a factory reset
3. download and install user mode driver framework that will fix the inf error (a service instalation section in this inf is invalid) from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=9740142
4.download the official asus nexus 7 usb drivers from here: http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Nexus+7&p=28&s=2
5. install the drivers tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUSRmtexmUo

for the first two steps i dont know if they are neccesary but i did it just in case.

hope this will fix your problems

rryyaannbb

Feb 26, 2011
rotation

I know this sounds silly, but I was having the same problem. (not getting a response from the computer).
Eventually I just tried turning autorotate on (it was locked before) and now it connects fine.

TheSopranos16

Dec 2, 2008
Marlboro, NJ
I'm having USB problems as well. I read through this thread and none of the suggested solutions are working for me so far. In my case, both my tablet and my computer do nothing when plugged in via usb. The tablet charges, but thats it. Nothing shows up in the notification area of the tablet and nothing shows up on the computer either. No sounds, nothing. I have tried several cables in several computers and still, nothing. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I've even tried safe mode and fastboot mode. Still, nothing.

EDIT2: USB OTG cable works fine so I doubt its a physical issue.

Last edited:

cobrajocky

Jun 18, 2013
Media Feature Pack for Windows 7 N with Service Pack 1 and Windows 7 KN with Service Pack 1 (KB968211)

Google search that and download it from Microsoft's website.

Right after I installed that and any subsequent updates it asked me to install, it worked. I restarted my computer when it was done like it asked and then rebooted, I connected the device in DEBUG MODE and now it WORKS!!!!!

If you have Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 7 N 64-bit please try this. If that doesn't work by itself then uninstall Windows Media Player and download the latest version for your pc. Make sure you choose the right bit (32 or 64) that your pc is installed with.

After trying every driver on the internet, this fixed it.

This is a response to an old comment above. This problem has NOTHING to do with Windows 7. I have TWO N7's - and early N7 8GB and a new N7 32GB. The old N7 8GB has NO PROBLEMS connecting via the same USB cable in MTP or PTP modes, while the new N7 32GB absolutely will not (neither is or has ever been rooted). It is clearly a bug in an out of the box N7. Don't be blaming Windows 7 or Vista, neither has a problem with my old N7.

HOWEVER, if Windows has an OLD set of drivers (like before a Android update), Window continues to use the old USB to Android drivers. As is mentioned above (post) you must delete the old Nexus 7 drivers from the device manager, reconnect your Nexus 7 and let the new USB MTP drivers be installed. Presto, no problems.

Last edited:

megabeet

Jul 7, 2006
Try connecting it as a PTP device rather than MTP.. (that sometimes works for me when I am trying to force it to pick up the ADB device and install driver etc). If it detects it as PTP change it back (to MTP), and hopefully it will be OK.

This worked for me. Thank Christ, because I had already sold it on ebay (£110!) and had casually asked the guy if he wanted to stick with the cool ROM I'd installed and he said no, and I'd forgotten that it had stopped talking to USB last month!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nexus 7 4.3 not connecting to PC via USB

Hi everyone,

My Nexus 7 at present isn't getting recognised when connected to a PC via USB. This was working the other week (the drivers were installed the first time I connected it via USB), but now when I connect it to a PC via USB the device isn't recognised by the PC.

I have tried this on multiple PC's and the same thing happens on all of them, so it must be something with the Nexus 7 that is causing the problem.

If I go into Device Manager on any of the PC's, with the Nexus 7 connected via USB it doesn't appear anywhere, so I can't go down the route of even updating the USB drivers as suggested for some similar issues on other threads.

I have even installed the Android SDK and installed the Windows USB driver package, but that hasn't done the trick either.

I have also tried installing the Microsoft MTP porting kit, but again this made no difference and the same can be said by switching between MTP and PTP mode and neither have made a difference. I don't have USB debugging enabled, enabling it doesn't make a difference either.

I can connect my Nexus S phone via USB without issue to any of the PC's I've tested the Nexus 7 on, which further backs my thinking of the issue being with the Nexus 7.

I'm running out of ideas, so thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone has any other suggestions before I do a factory reset on the Nexus 7.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Just incase anyone is still looking for help at this link I found a way. [Windows Version]
    1. Right-click on Computer and go to manage
    2. Find your Nexus 7 under devices and right-click and choose uninstall, and select delete drivers aswell
    3. Un-Plug and re-plug your device and switch to MTP mode and allow the drivers to be reinstalled.

Worked for me so hopefully will work for everyone else.:fingers-crossed :fingers-crossed:
    Fix for no USB storage

Well, he's right. It's just a simple driver problem.
    Right Click "My Computer"
    Click "Device Manager"
    You should see "Google Nexus 7..." device.
    Click on it
    Click Driver
    Update Driver
    "Let me pick"
    Make sure "Compatible devices ...." is checked
    Choose USB (the one that is not selected)
    Click Ok.
    And Woop, there it is.
    Had the problem and what i did and worked was:

With the device connected and the debugging and MTP TICKED went to device manager and my nexus was showing as Android Phone ADB device.

Right click that and go - properties - driver - click uninstall at the bottom and in the next window TICK also "Delete the driver software for this device" and hit OK.

When its done disconnect the device and reconnect it.Let windows install the driver and all will be fine.

That worked for me and now my Nexus shows up at My computer as always and the ADB works also
    I stumbled on a solution

I did all the driver installs - several times.
    The tablet definitely is seen by the computer in ADB mode.
    Nexus 7 rootkit works on it.
    but Windows XP did not see it as a USB device.
    I turned off USB debugging on the Nexus 7 while in MTP mode. bingo, it immediately showed the device.
    Your mileage may vary