Nexus one 2.3.3 Battery Life Issues

Search This thread

Damone775

Jul 16, 2010
Hi ive been having issues getting my nexus one to behave. No matter what the battery drains quickly with Android OS using up the most battery(36% atm). It isnt the battery because ive bought a brand new replacement battery for the phone. Ive done everything I can think of to make it work. This issue doesn't pop up in 2.2 only 2.3. Ive turned off sync, uninstalled apps that could possibly be suspect, and even reformatted and started my sd card from fresh. This issue has popped up in both Cyanogen 7 and stock 2.3.3

GreenMnM588

May 7, 2010
Hi ive been having issues getting my nexus one to behave. No matter what the battery drains quickly with Android OS using up the most battery(36% atm). It isnt the battery because ive bought a brand new replacement battery for the phone. Ive done everything I can think of to make it work. This issue doesn't pop up in 2.2 only 2.3. Ive turned off sync, uninstalled apps that could possibly be suspect, and even reformatted and started my sd card from fresh. This issue has popped up in both Cyanogen 7 and stock 2.3.3

What radio are you using? I had horrible battery life with CM7 on the 5.12.00.08, but I switched to 5.08.00.04 and my battery has been fine. I'm not sure if that's the exact reason because I did a complete wipe of /data, /cache/, and /system, as well as reformat my sd-card before installing HBoot 0.35, the 5.08.00.04 radio, and the 2.3.3 ROM. I couldn't stand the lag and the constant reboots, so I switched to stock for now until CM7-Final comes out.

Know-Fear

Jan 9, 2010
I have pretty bad battery life running Geo's 2.3.3v1. This morning I took it off the charger, checked the weather once and turned the screen on to check the time twice. an hour and a half later I am at 91%.

IvanGoneKrazy

Feb 26, 2011
I'm seeing this issue too on my Nexus One. Battery Usage shows that Android OS is using somewhere between 30 and 38% of my battery. Battery life doesn't even make it through a whole day for me now.

My baseboard version is 5.08.00.04

Last edited:

gdarren

Feb 26, 2011
+1

Thank you! I've been searching and searching for anyone on the interwebs with this same issue. Hopefully a solution can be found.

As soon as I (manually) upgraded to 2.3.3 on my Nexus One, the Android OS started to creep to near the top of my battery usage. Now, I can't make it through a day without recharging, whereas before I could easily make it through an entire day without concern.

I haven't installed any new apps, or enabled any new widgets.

gdarren

Feb 26, 2011
What radio are you using? I had horrible battery life with CM7 on the 5.12.00.08, but I switched to 5.08.00.04 and my battery has been fine. I'm not sure if that's the exact reason because I did a complete wipe of /data, /cache/, and /system, as well as reformat my sd-card before installing HBoot 0.35, the 5.08.00.04 radio, and the 2.3.3 ROM. I couldn't stand the lag and the constant reboots, so I switched to stock for now until CM7-Final comes out.
Not sure about the OP, but my baseband is 5.08.00.04 and I'm getting sucky battery life.

PrimeJunta

Feb 25, 2011
Baseband 5.08.00.04 here too. Battery almost flat overnight, Android OS used 55%. Originally Vodafone Germany ROM, flashed to Gingerbread via stock FRG83 and updates.

GldRush98

Jun 3, 2006
Taylorville, IL.
www.GldRush98.com
My battery life has actually been stellar since GRI40... At 78% right now...
snap20110227_005332.png

PrimeJunta

Feb 25, 2011
Seems like the problem has gone away. May have been my bad: I left GPS on by mistake, and although I would've expected the phone to switch it off when I'm not doing anything, it may not have. After switching it off, battery seems to be draining as normal, i.e., quite slowly, with Android OS just slicing off a few %.

taylerdurden

Feb 27, 2011
I have the same problem, Android OS is draining my battery, can we talk on a Gingerbread bug?? I have noticed than sometimes the GPS icon appears in the Status bar, I thisk the GPS is the cause of the problem, I will turn off and try

k_myk

May 6, 2009
Warsaw
I'm not sure, but maybe battery drain which you encountered was related to froyo/gingerbread feature which backs up your settings and apps? I find gb eating my battery not worse than froyo. Well, actually I'm starting to think that it's even better.

FYI after 26h on battery "android system" is not even listed in "battery use" so it ate less than 1% of my battery. Nice:)

xmi22

Aug 30, 2010
Same issue here

Hi all, I'm having the same issue with the battery here.
It is drained in a few hours even if I don't do anything with the phone.
This started happening after 2.3.3 manual update.
My baseband is also 5.08.00.04.
I hope that somebody can find out what is creating this...

Thanks!

semilla

Nov 22, 2009
Same issue with battery on Android 2.3.3

Battery life was horrible on Android 2.3.3. It went from 70% to 35% overnigth (about 8 hours without using it). Android OS is consuming about 50% of battery when iddle. Before upgrading it only consumed about 10%.

With Android 2.2.2 I used to get about 48 hours of battery life.

I think maybe there is a bug in Android 2.3.3.

Running Nexus One with Android 2.3.3, baseband 5.08.00.04

gdarren

Feb 26, 2011
I wish my battery chart looked like that. How can I get a screenshot like that? Maybe posting up my screenshot will help some one determine what's causing the problem.

decoyjoe

Dec 30, 2009
Yea I as well am having this issue on 2.3.3. My chart is a steep decline with Android OS taking 33% of the usage. Really starting to not like GB.

spidermike0

Feb 1, 2008
I to have had bad battery life since my manual update to 2.3.3.
I am running AT&T model.
The only programs I have changed since the update are
Protector by Alexander Kosenkov
Mobile Defense
DejaOffice.

I have uninstalled The Protector & Mobile Defense as a test.
Anybody else running these same programs & now having bad battery life?

shimsim

Dec 1, 2009
Shunde
Bump!

2.3.3 is definitely draining my battery much faster than 2.2

As others are reporting, Android OS has jumped up to the top on the battery usage page, around 30-40%, it used to be my display.

I have also noticed the GPS randomly turning on/off even though no apps are running that need it, so I disabled the GPS and this has improved the situation slightly but its still not great.

In terms of apps running, nothing that wasn't running perfectly fine prior to 2.3.3

Im running on stock everything:
BB: 5.08.00.04
BN: GRI40

spidermike0

Feb 1, 2008
After uninstalling mobile defense& protector my battery life was back to normal& the android os was back down to a couple percent.
I reinstalled mobile defense & this had no effect on battery life or android os battery use.
I will reinstall protector app tomorrow& see if the problem reappears.
I read on the protector comments somebody else had same issue with battery life & isolated it to" protector" app.
So if you have this installed uninstall it& see if it helps.

gdarren

Feb 26, 2011
After uninstalling mobile defense& protector my battery life was back to normal& the android os was back down to a couple percent.
I reinstalled mobile defense & this had no effect on battery life or android os battery use.
I will reinstall protector app tomorrow& see if the problem reappears.
I read on the protector comments somebody else had same issue with battery life & isolated it to" protector" app.
So if you have this installed uninstall it& see if it helps.
I wish the solution could be this simple for me. I don't have any program like that installed.

ATnTdude

Feb 19, 2008
Chicago, IL USA
Also having a batter life issue. Looks like it will last 8-14 hours depending on use. 2.2.3 was giving me ~30 hours with moderate use. Battery monitor is showing Display as taking a huge chunk (~75% vs 50-60% in 2.2). I've been uninstalling/reinstalling apps one at a time to see if it's one of them. Stock/Rooted.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yesterday I posted that I too had issues with Android OS taking about 33% of the usage. But now the issue is gone. Android OS now sits at a nice 2% of usage.

I didnt change anything. Didn't uninstall or install any apps within that time frame. All I did was use my phone as I didn't have time to mess with it to figure out the issue. The only thing I did was restart my phone a couple of times. And then I went back to check the usage and Android OS settled back down to.where it should be, 2% of usage.

So my advice is to just be patient, use your phone, restart it here and there, and let Gingerbread make itself at home. Once Gingerbread is all settled, Android OS should back down to ~2% of usage.

That's my theory at least :)

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App
    I'm yet another example of the OS eating 65%+ of the battery after the manual update to Gingerbread.

Based on the comments here, I've switched my wifi from "when screen turns off" to "Never" and I'll see how it goes.

John

Waiting for the result ;)

If you all post a reply in http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=15057&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars Google can solve this
    Hey guys,

As suggested by another user here, I rebooted my N1 and the problem seems to be gone now :)
    The method to reboot I used was to switch off the phone and then power it on by holding the volume down button and the power button which brings up the recovery menu, then you have to find the "Reboot" selection I can't remeber where exactly it is, but it's there. After I did that, phone has been running for 14h 17min and batt level is currently at 68% and Android OS went from 45% usage down to 7% !

FYI I keep everything always turned on GPS, bluetooth (with BT headset connected all day), wifi (for wifi sleep policy is turn off when screen's off.) As well as yahoo mail app, facebook app, gmail app, rss feeds, weather etc.

The reboot made a HUGE difference on my unrooted phone, so anyone who has the battery drain issue I would suggest to try this out first :)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone