Nexus one 2.3.3 Battery Life Issues

Search This thread

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
So how are we supposed to see what's stopping the phone from sleeping now?

I woke up to this this morning:

screenshotyi.png

screenshot1xu.png

I miss the battery history menu :(

haturaya

Dec 27, 2010
I'm so frustrated with 2.3.3 performance... riddled with bugs
1. Exchange email not pushing any email,
2. screen auto brightness that seem to stuck with high bright even though the ambient light drop,
3. Awake issue that I can't figure out why,
4. Wifi wake setting, etc)

Reverted back to 2.2.2 FRG83G. I need reliable phone more than 'extra' GUI effect... For me 2.3.3 more cosmetics than functionality / stability.

Enough said... I'll wait until better / stable version comes.

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

if you look at your long awake time, it coincides EXACTLY when you lose signal for a brief period of time, shown in red. i am willing to bet this is the bug in gingerbread where once the phone loses signal, when it re-acquires it it has problems. seems to me like it caused your phone to stay awake from that point forward, killing your battery.

we need more people's results.

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
Interesting, it lost signal briefly as I switched from 3G to 2G over night.

More results would indeed be handy.

jonesy420

Jul 29, 2010
So Cal

if you look at your long awake time, it coincides EXACTLY when you lose signal for a brief period of time, shown in red. i am willing to bet this is the bug in gingerbread where once the phone loses signal, when it re-acquires it it has problems. seems to me like it caused your phone to stay awake from that point forward, killing your battery.

notice when the screen goes off the wifi was turned off and you lost signal at the same instant (maybe a coincidence, maybe not.) now the phone should have gone to sleep at this point but something kept it awake. it seems that there is a bug in gingerbread with the wifi sleep policy. after some searching i found there is a workaround. go into Settings->wireless&networks->Wifi settings->[press menu]->Advanced and change wifi sleep policy to "never." now the battery will last considerably longer. I did this and now my battery can go 2days+ on standby. just remember to turn wifi off when youre not using it.

sandman_rave

Jan 23, 2010
Bucharest
I found a trick, reding through some forums, that seems to save your battery life quite a bit.

It seems like the AMOLED displays use a lot of battery when they have to display a white or very bright image and very little battery when displaying a black image.

So, I changed my wallpaper to a black one (this is very nice since you can also lower the brightness of the display because you have better contrast on black).

I will post back in a few days with the result but so far it seems to do the trick.

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I found a trick, reding through some forums, that seems to save your battery life quite a bit.

It seems like the AMOLED displays use a lot of battery when they have to display a white or very bright image and very little battery when displaying a black image.

So, I changed my wallpaper to a black one (this is very nice since you can also lower the brightness of the display because you have better contrast on black).

I will post back in a few days with the result but so far it seems to do the trick.

this trick has been posted long ago. amoled screns use no power to show black colors. so you should use black everywhere possible. this is why the cyanogen browser has an "invert color" option to make all web pages black rather than white. etc etc

sarshadd

Dec 29, 2010
So it seemed as though my battery life was the same if not better up until around this past Weekend...

I tried to sideload a copy of SMS Bomber that had a fairly robust set of permissions. It looked different than the copy my friend was running and it always force quit so i uninstalled it immediately.

Anyway, after noticing a battery decline I restored my phone and reconfigured everything. Battery life has been the same if not worse. I could get through a full 12 hours and end up around ~40/30% with hard use. Now it's been only 14 hours and I'm already at 19%.

My phone has been asleep in my car for most of the day and I used GPS on maps (which I would enable/disable before entering/exiting maps) for MAYBE 10 minutes. Display used 61% and cell stand by and maps both used 11% so nothing stands out.

Something I've noticed in the logcat of late that I didn't really notice before was A LOT of

I/System.out (app ###) [INFO:##] f: runnning flush
I/System.out (app ###) [INFO:##] f: sending payload

and the app or process that was always responsible was com.google.process.gapps (com.google.android.gsf) with NetworkLocationService (com.google.android.android.apps.maps) coming in as a close second.

Normally it would just be a whole load of D/dalvikvm freeing resources, but these google app processes were checking in ever 10-15 lines on the logcat.

Any ideas?!

Indomatic

Nov 3, 2010

This is the same problem I have.

It was even worse though with juice defender.

I just switched my wifi policy setting so I'll have to see if it changes it.

Attachments

• n1bat.jpg
    n1bat.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 83
  • battery2.jpg
    battery2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
E

exploited000

I am having the same issues. I have my wifi off, my GPS off and i have actually deleted apps like Twitter and a few random ones i had. Battery life still has issues. With mine i have noticed that the display is taking up about 70% of my battery :( everything else that is running is 9% and under and my OS is running at 3% on average. I dont have my auto brightness on, and i have the brightness set pretty dang low. So i guess i still need to find out why my Display is sucking up so much battery life. I will try running a darker background then i already am and see. But if anyone else finds ways to get the display to stop sucking up so much percentage that would be awesome!!

haturaya

Dec 27, 2010
I am having the same issues. I have my wifi off, my GPS off and i have actually deleted apps like Twitter and a few random ones i had. Battery life still has issues. With mine i have noticed that the display is taking up about 70% of my battery :( everything else that is running is 9% and under and my OS is running at 3% on average. I dont have my auto brightness on, and i have the brightness set pretty dang low. So i guess i still need to find out why my Display is sucking up so much battery life. I will try running a darker background then i already am and see. But if anyone else finds ways to get the display to stop sucking up so much percentage that would be awesome!!

You minght want to try brighter background wallpaper if your N1 is using SLCD screen.

E

exploited000

You minght want to try brighter background wallpaper if your N1 is using SLCD screen.

Thanks ill give that a shot. I actually changed my theme today back to the system theme and my battery life greatly improved today!!

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

ar_hnazari

Mar 27, 2011
Dudez and galz :p

Since some playout on my N1 retail (not from any operator) and update to GRI40, had same issue with battery life. Battery status showed 60% usage by android OS and that's awful.
Reading many forums from users some had suggested something that I dunno why but worked for me somehow.
In WiFi settings changed sleep policy from advanced setting (pressing menu when in WiFi settings) to "NEVER" now I have andriod OS usage of 2% :D but WiFi jumped to 33% from about 15%. :cool:
Now observing the battery life will report after 2-3 days of testing to see what happens.
Other settings: GPS off, Sync off, Background data off just on when needed, WiFi always on.

Note: Somewhere else I read about wiping /cache via recovery mode and also deleting and recreating WiFi network profiles. Each item improves the battery life, I did all now:
System: 2%
Idle: 4%
Cell: 7%
WiFi: 8%
Launcher: 2%

Awesome ... isn't it???

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yesterday I posted that I too had issues with Android OS taking about 33% of the usage. But now the issue is gone. Android OS now sits at a nice 2% of usage.

I didnt change anything. Didn't uninstall or install any apps within that time frame. All I did was use my phone as I didn't have time to mess with it to figure out the issue. The only thing I did was restart my phone a couple of times. And then I went back to check the usage and Android OS settled back down to.where it should be, 2% of usage.

So my advice is to just be patient, use your phone, restart it here and there, and let Gingerbread make itself at home. Once Gingerbread is all settled, Android OS should back down to ~2% of usage.

That's my theory at least :)

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App
    I'm yet another example of the OS eating 65%+ of the battery after the manual update to Gingerbread.

Based on the comments here, I've switched my wifi from "when screen turns off" to "Never" and I'll see how it goes.

John

Waiting for the result ;)

If you all post a reply in http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=15057&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars Google can solve this
    Hey guys,

As suggested by another user here, I rebooted my N1 and the problem seems to be gone now :)
    The method to reboot I used was to switch off the phone and then power it on by holding the volume down button and the power button which brings up the recovery menu, then you have to find the "Reboot" selection I can't remeber where exactly it is, but it's there. After I did that, phone has been running for 14h 17min and batt level is currently at 68% and Android OS went from 45% usage down to 7% !

FYI I keep everything always turned on GPS, bluetooth (with BT headset connected all day), wifi (for wifi sleep policy is turn off when screen's off.) As well as yahoo mail app, facebook app, gmail app, rss feeds, weather etc.

The reboot made a HUGE difference on my unrooted phone, so anyone who has the battery drain issue I would suggest to try this out first :)