• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Nexus One > Ice Cream Sandwich

Search This thread

Dark lord me

Apr 16, 2011
Surrey
I agree with what most people are saying in that the problem lies with the amount of internal storage on the device... whoever decided that so little storage would go into the device needs to be lined up and fed ice cream sandwiches till they explode. I am sure that google would update it if they could but honestly i know the N1 is a development phone but there are more newer dev phones to take advantage of new hardware as well...yet with no Micro sd cards =/

Reactions: momomok

obsanity

Jun 4, 2010
You guys need to stop crying, it's very likely that the issue is the low internal memory that the N1 has is the problem. Sure, they can fit it on, but when 2.3 already does not have much space for apps, it's a bad idea to release an update that causes even more grief for users that don't want to bother with A2SD. There are tons of nexus ones that aren't rooted and just running stock firmware, and this could make their phone unusable.

Sorry if I sound like a google apologist, but it's not like I would be using a stock ROM anyway since they took out trackball wake. You will all have ICS with custom roms.

That's BS. I'm sorry but back in a day if all Google programmers could code efficiently you would not need more space. I know that if you really break it down to some assembly programming, you could fit windows on a bunch of floppies again. Steve Gibson's Spinrite is a great example of this. The whole thing is like 500k and can do some serious hard drive recovery.
I'm willing to bet the CM team will put ICS on the n1 with more features and more room to spare. Then tell me why Google, the one with more resources than God, couldn't do that?
Again, not hardware ... it's a scam, to simply put it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

OJ in Compton

Aug 5, 2010
That's BS. I'm sorry but back in a day if all Google programmers could code efficiently you would not need more space. I know that if you really break it down to some assembly programming, you could fit windows on a bunch of floppies again. Steve Gibson's Spinrite is a great example of this. The whole thing is like 500k and can do some serious hard drive recovery.
I'm willing to bet the CM team will put ICS on the n1 with more features and more room to spare. Then tell me why Google, the one with more resources than God, couldn't do that?
Again, not hardware ... it's a scam, to simply put it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Optimized and android don't fit in the same sentence. It's the reason android phones have to keep jumping in clock speeds to stay smooth when the iPhone can run faster and smoother at sub 1ghz speeds. ;)

Of course they can put in the effort. They must feel that it's not worth the time or effort (along with HTC who will need to provide drivers). Again, it doesn't bother me at all since I wouldn't be using a stock rom in the first place. CM7 has a little more space than the stock rom but even then I run into memory errors, there are ways around it but I don't have any interest in flashing a new rom until the ICS source is out.

Last edited:

obsanity

Jun 4, 2010
Optimized and android don't fit in the same sentence. It's the reason android phones have to keep jumping in clock speeds to stay smooth when the iPhone can run faster and smoother at sub 1ghz speeds. ;)

Of course they can put in the effort. They must feel that it's not worth the time or effort (along with HTC who will need to provide drivers). Again, it doesn't bother me at all since I wouldn't be using a stock rom in the first place. CM7 has a little more space than the stock rom but even then I run into memory errors, there are ways around it but I don't have any interest in flashing a new rom until the ICS source is out.

Again, I'm not arguing for myself or any of us here who can surely get a third party ROM installed. I'm arguing the principle on which Google started this project we now know as Android and made users believe it is changing the Telecom game.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

OJ in Compton

Aug 5, 2010
Again, I'm not arguing for myself or any of us here who can surely get a third party ROM installed. I'm arguing the principle on which Google started this project we now know as Android and made users believe it is changing the Telecom game.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
You should blame the blogs for making you believe "google is changing the telecom game."

Snow_fox

Jun 6, 2010
OnePlus 7 Pro

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

I'm going to go ahead and argue this.

Google Left android Open Source so we could do what we want with it.. Meaning we can put ICS on the N1 if possible and they didn't want to.

I have mixed feelings about it. Honestly.. It isn't like once ICS comes out, google is going to issue a wave of destruction removing existing functionality from all existing N1s.

Also, not trying to be mean/rude or anything else.. but the people who jumped on the n1 so quickly were what is known as early adopters... Early adopters *ALWAYS* get burned. They pay more, have more risk and don't really know what to expect most of the time.

I'm not trying to sit here and make excuses for google, but the fact is if you buy a graphics card top of the line for 500$ today... then next year at this time it *might* be worth 300$.. then the year after that *might* be worth 150$ or so.

If I am not mistaken it has been about two years and that is a pretty good life cycle for a phone or most things in the electronics world.

So it isn't going to get new updates... That doesn't mean the darn thing is going to be come unusable or just stop working to spite you, you just can't brag about running the absolute latest most "hardcore" update.

You will still have your phone, it will still do everything it did before..

I honestly wonder if people are actually mad.. or if they are just hoping google will reconsider it if they act mad :/

samagon

Jul 28, 2008
Houston
It will be hard to criticize manufactures for not supporting a device with firmware updates when Google will not support it's own Developer phone if the N1 is capable.

That's the thing, apparently I'm the only Android user that remembers Google io in may when Google themselves stated they expected 18 months of hardware support for Android phone hardware. Once I saw that I was convinced that we would not see a ics update for the n1. Frankly, I was astonished we got the 2.3.6 update we did.

Feel free to Google "18 month life cycle Android" to confirm.

Now lets all stand in line for the galaxy nexus, or wait for a suitable ics rom for the n1.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

jnfjsf

Sep 22, 2006
Google was, and still is, at its core, a software company, not a hardware company. Just like Microsoft. In the world of operating systems, the software developers expectation is that the hardware will need to adapt to their software.

Sent from my Nexus One using xda premium

phoneguy 4567

Apr 13, 2007
I think some of the anger is cumulative as far as the N1 goes. It came out with so much hype & then Google dropped it just months later as a consumer device. There are hardware issues with the touch screen & even the radio. Owners were at least able to get the latest version of Android on the device, & that made up for some of the devices shortcomings. Now the Nexus S is going to get ICS & the specs don't seem all that different.

It is more of an Android problem then an N1 problem when it comes to updates. If Google doesn't even try to update hardware they sold directly to customers, why will their partners bother trying?

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
if storage is the issue, why can't the SD card be partitioned and have the OS boot off of there?
besides, if we expect google to update a device indefinitely, that's a bit unrealistic, dont you think so?
after all, they do want to sell you another device to make some more money.

there's also a reason why apple updates all iphones the same. their updates don't mean as much, and on older devices, they're half baked anyway (removing most features). all the old devices are really getting is a iOS version number change. have you seen a 3G on iOS 4.0? the update has crippled the phone.

I'd rather have my device run smoothly on 2.3 than crappy on 4.0
and if that's the case, then you definitely need a hardware upgrade.
i dare any G1 owner to cry about not getting ICS. see my point?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2010
Google doesn't make money from selling us hardware, they make money from pushing ads. That's the only reason that they got into the mobile game, they were smart enough to see that Apple was going to make a serious dent in their revenue if they didn't fight back

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
Google doesn't make money from selling us hardware, they make money from pushing ads. That's the only reason that they got into the mobile game, they were smart enough to see that Apple was going to make a serious dent in their revenue if they didn't fight back

So you're telling me google doesn't directly make any money from the millions of android phones out there? o_O

Syntax323

Jun 29, 2010
True. Android is open source. You can download android from their website. No one buys the rights to their os. Companies take it and modify it the way they want it. Hence the different ui's that are out their. Sense, T-Mobile, etc...

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

tabelras

Nov 17, 2010
So many crybabies here. What is it that you don't understand? ICS is a lot bigger than Gingerbread so there is no room for it on the tiny system partition of the N1. Blame HTC for only shipping it with 512 mb of storage on a flagship phone in 2010! That is ridiculous.

stumo5

Jan 19, 2010
It wouldn't be so bad if Google (or any other Android manufacturer) had given us a top end phone that wasn't gimped in some way, in the nearly 2 years sine the N1 landed. There hasn't been a single phone that covered all bases along the way, there was always something missing.

The closest I came was NexusS, but it had no microSD.
Then the dual cores arrived, Atrix was locked down, and HTC/LG were gimped with low RAM. SG2 was gimped with WVGA res.

I am especially disappoint with the subsequent Nexus phones. No microSD and only 16GB storage, wtf? ffs google, just give us a worthy handset to replace our N1's already.

As of right now I require; HD screen, 1GB RAM, newish SOC, microSD, reasonable battery size, no lockdown. It really isn't too much to ask, is it?

And have we got a straight answer yet as to why the GNexus was also gimped with no microSD?

lolobabes

Mar 1, 2010
Manila
+1M

Google owes me and all N1 owners a clear cut reason, I didnt buy 2 N1 for me and my wife $550 each only to be told thats its old so it may not be upgraded. WTF! If the hardware cant support it then so be it. But what they have said so far is just unacceptable. We deserve a difinitive and better explanation from Google.

Again i just want to stress if its a hardware issue i can take that but I wanna hear it straight from Google. "Too old" is like trivializing their first flagship pure google phone. Many people own N1 but are not rooted I know one who is a friend of mine. Google just needs to communicate is that too hard to ask?

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

It wouldn't be so bad if Google (or any other Android manufacturer) had given us a top end phone that wasn't gimped in some way, in the nearly 2 years sine the N1 landed. There hasn't been a single phone that covered all bases along the way, there was always something missing.

The closest I came was NexusS, but it had no microSD.
Then the dual cores arrived, Atrix was locked down, and HTC/LG were gimped with low RAM. SG2 was gimped with WVGA res.

I am especially disappoint with the subsequent Nexus phones. No microSD and only 16GB storage, wtf? ffs google, just give us a worthy handset to replace our N1's already.

As of right now I require; HD screen, 1GB RAM, newish SOC, microSD, reasonable battery size, no lockdown. It really isn't too much to ask, is it?

And have we got a straight answer yet as to why the GNexus was also gimped with no microSD?

Its becoming a pattern which am beginning to notice and it tastes so bad... N1 with a tiny internal memory and on samsung S and Galaxy Nexus with no sd cards(pure google phone?), roflmao.. someone should ask Google about it, any journalists out there? lol

Kyoraki

May 12, 2011
Sussex

Not exactly. The OS is open source, but google apps certainly are not. I bet they make quite a large chunk of revenue from that. And it's also something google need to start using to punish OEMs who don't update phones in a timely manner- if they weren't so blind to the issues with android in the first place.

obsanity

Jun 4, 2010
I'm going to go ahead and argue this.

Google Left android Open Source so we could do what we want with it.. Meaning we can put ICS on the N1 if possible and they didn't want to.

I have mixed feelings about it. Honestly.. It isn't like once ICS comes out, google is going to issue a wave of destruction removing existing functionality from all existing N1s.

Also, not trying to be mean/rude or anything else.. but the people who jumped on the n1 so quickly were what is known as early adopters... Early adopters *ALWAYS* get burned. They pay more, have more risk and don't really know what to expect most of the time.

I'm not trying to sit here and make excuses for google, but the fact is if you buy a graphics card top of the line for 500$ today... then next year at this time it *might* be worth 300$.. then the year after that *might* be worth 150$ or so.

If I am not mistaken it has been about two years and that is a pretty good life cycle for a phone or most things in the electronics world.

So it isn't going to get new updates... That doesn't mean the darn thing is going to be come unusable or just stop working to spite you, you just can't brag about running the absolute latest most "hardcore" update.

You will still have your phone, it will still do everything it did before..

I honestly wonder if people are actually mad.. or if they are just hoping google will reconsider it if they act mad :/

Yes, by all means this is why we are here bitching. Make them support it, it's not too difficult to do and if anyone can figure it out, they can as well. The way I see it, they have PLENTY of space to put ICS on the Nexus One. I think we are used to this 2 years obsolete electronic equipment because the industry made us believe it by selling better and more expensive things to continue to make more money. I understand that Google wants to make money in this but I highly doubt that they make ANY money on selling phones. Besides, how much more money do they need to make? All we ask for is that they support ALL of their nexus devices for as long as it's possible. I mean they need to set a world record for how long a piece of hardware keeps the latest upgrades. Why? Because they are known as a different company than others and a lot of people put their trust into the "do no evil".

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...roid-upgrade-for-Google-Nexus-S-in-weeks.html

If this is true then this would be the first time I will say Google is full of sh** on this. Released on January 2010 puts this phone at less than 2 years old and still with a 1Ghz processor, a GPU and 512 RAM which is very much the same as Nexus S (maybe less powerful specs though). I've always been behind everything that Google did but if they do not update their first flagship device which a lot of people paid FULL price for to support them, in what seemed like a revolution move towards telcom dependency removal, I will seriously reconsider if I want to continue trusting this company. Not updating it would mean that all they are after is getting users to update to their newer phone. I smell greed and evil!
    Seems like I wasted 529+tax !

When Google introduced Nexus One I thought Google is going to be more smart. But when I read this news I thought Google is smart but NOT considering its customers. Seems like I wasted 529+tax for buying Nexus One on the very first day it released.

If 2 year old iPhone 3GS can get update for the latest iOS5 then why Nexus One don't get ICS ? Looks like it is not the hardware issue it is business strategy.

I think I need to reconsider support for Android and Google.

What do you think ?
    ^

I heard the same news too, and it came out of my ass. How about yours?
    The last i heard Google already confirmed Nexus One will get ICS since theres no hardware requirement anyways...

This is how bullshit lies get spread.
    No you did NOT hear Google confirm ****, because they never have. Stop with the lies, it does the community no good.
    There is an official OTA out. Plus, like I said before, what would be the big difference anyway? Just a simple version number?

The official OTA for Nexus One is 2.3.6, build GRK39F. Nexus S got 2.3.7, it fixed something in NFC which N1 doesn't have, so this version was skipped. Just a number, and indeed says absolutely nothing about ICS, but since it mattered enough to bring it into discussion - might as well state it correctly.