Nexus Radio = crap after update?

Search This thread

SBS_

Jul 13, 2007
Bergen
I've had no problems getting 3G signal and have never dropped a call or missed a text, but I had no problems before the OTA-update either.

Seems to be some trouble with the networks in the US, have barely heard of people outside US complaining about signal strength or dropped calls.

mgf909

Jan 12, 2010
I had problems too so I just reverted to the old radio.

How did u revert to the old radio ? did u revert to original as shipped ROM, or do you have the OTA update, but flashes the original radio back on??

Im very disappointed by the radio performance since the update.

Can you try, whist in a location without any signal, setting the phone to "use 2G networks only". If i do this then about 5-10 secs later the phone reboots!!!

jerrycycle

Aug 20, 2009
I had a issue too after flashing the new radio but it seems to be better after I did this. Setting-wireless & networks- mobile networks- network operators then select automatically.

GlenH

Apr 22, 2008
I seemed to get much worse battery life after the radio update, as well as slow switches between bands, so I reverted back to the original radio and all is well again :)

pjcforpres

Nov 11, 2008
CR
Seriously guys, if you are having such major bugs with your new radio that it reboots when you select 2G only, you have a bad update. Try doing it again, manually, using a clean and fresh download of the OTA update. Even try downloading it with your computer, then putting it on the SD card(thats what I did, personally).

But you shouldn't have reboots... and really, you should have better coverage considering so many of us have better coverage and it seems a very small minority have worse... the only way that might be a result of the new radio ROM is if your cell phone providers tower radios happen to be an odd duck, but I would be willing to bet out of all the people have good experiences, some in the same city as some of you, that isn't the case....

Try the fresh manual update...

pjcforpres

Nov 11, 2008
CR
Seriously guys, if you are having such major bugs with your new radio that it reboots when you select 2G only, you have a bad update. Try doing it again, manually, using a clean and fresh download of the OTA update. Even try downloading it with your computer, then putting it on the SD card(thats what I did, personally).

But you shouldn't have reboots... and really, you should have better coverage considering so many of us have better coverage and it seems a very small minority have worse... the only way that might be a result of the new radio ROM is if your cell phone providers tower radios happen to be an odd duck, but I would be willing to bet out of all the people have good experiences, some in the same city as some of you, that isn't the case....

bofslime

Jan 16, 2009
Orlando

THIS!

...so spot on it deserved being said twice.

Last edited:

TailsNeon556

Jun 22, 2009
NYC
so is everyone who flashed the old radio here rooted or not? i updated manually.. last week and the new radio sucks.. (worse than before) im not rooted and i dont want a $530usd brick

kep0ne

May 20, 2007
Tried going back to completely stock images and radio. No luck with 3G. Then applied the update. Still stock rom. No luck. I've got 3 towers within 2-3 miles of my house, and even more 5-8 miles out. This shouldn't be happening.

mgymnop

Jan 17, 2010
San Diego
Old radio was crap and new radio is crap too. Same problems with 3G/EDGE switching in 3G full coverage area. The only improvement with new radio: I get sometimes 1 signal bar more than before. The voice signal bars are still dropping down if you hold the N1 in your hand from 3 bars to 1 or 2.

pjcforpres

Nov 11, 2008
CR
The double was on accident, I hit post, walked away, came back and it was still on the write a post screen, and wasn't waiting anymore so I hit the button again.

the taxidermist

Jan 29, 2010
I put a call into google and was on the phone with HTC at the same time, I have a call tag for a phone replacement. However, I am trying a few things before I give up. One is selecting networks automatically like sated earlier in this thread...

Prior to the update alot of people where saying to select Tmo as the network so thats what I had going on... Ill keep u posted