NFC disabled SGH-i727 (ATT) - How to enable

Search This thread

Promethyl

Jun 23, 2012
play.google.com
I noticed on GSM ARENA the specs for the Skyrocket phone say it has NFC.

So I got really excited, but then when I tried to use it, I realized it does not, in fact work.

ATT apparently marked it as not-present and disabled it. (Two problems.)

Anyhow, I found out how to enable it, and I wrote a quick Android App to verify it is present.

I did take a chance and used the Note hack as the model numbers were very close to being the same. I theorized the hardware was mostly the same, excepting the screen.

I searched and apparently nobody has announced doing this before.

The thread used was here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1545751

The tool to test NFC on Skyrocket SGH-i727 is here.

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
NFC in the Skyrocket is on a chip inside the unit itself. Only the antenna for the NFC chip is located on the battery.

NFC was disables by AT&T in stock GB builds, however some custom ROMS, such as Alien, enabled it.

The 4.0X ICS releases (leaks) for the skyrocket have fully functioning NFC capabilities.

Specific phones did (or maybe) still do have an NFC bug (Verizon's Nexus) phone couldn't handle certain types of formatted tags, but the SkyRocket hasn't had this or any other problem NFC related that I am aware of.

Reactions: jyazzie110

Promethyl

Jun 23, 2012
play.google.com
I'm writing an NFC application.

I'll plan to upgrade to Alien in the near future. Sounds like fun.

Just the thought of putting a tag on the nightstand, in the car, ... I can do so much with it, but none the apps out there (even Samsung TecTiles App and NFC Task Launcher) do what I want to do. Not that I can run TecTiles on my phone version.

wendellp601

May 21, 2011
Brandon, MS
I'm currently running SKY ICS 4.2F-3B with the UCLE2 radio.
I use NFC tags in the car, at work and at home with an app called NFC Task Launcher.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
What distance can they be read?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA

It's very close range by the nature of NFC itself. Depending on if you have a case on the phone, and which case it is, you might need to actually hold the phone to the tag and keep it there for a second. Stock NFC in the skyrocket, regardless of which ROM, gives an audible tone when reading a tag. A file is floating around XDA that will disable the tone, but it is nice to know if the tag was read correct or if there was an error.

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
How are you guys able to get the NFC to work? I can enable it but when I use NFC apps I get a secure settings needed.

Are you using apps that require secure settings (secure eliment)? If so, it has nothing to do with NFC, it has to do with the app.

bobgodd

Jan 26, 2009
Can anyone share where you purchased your tags from? I would like a handful of reliable tags but cant figure out where to get them from.

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
To answer your question, yes. So which app would allow me to use NFC with out the secure elements?

None. The Skyrocket does not have a secure eliment. There are several threads about this already.

Can anyone share where you purchased your tags from? I would like a handful of reliable tags but cant figure out where to get them from.

Bought mine here:

http://tagsfordroid.com/tags/Home.html

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its on the battery itself. If you remove the sticker on the battery you can see the antenna

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    NFC in the Skyrocket is on a chip inside the unit itself. Only the antenna for the NFC chip is located on the battery.

NFC was disables by AT&T in stock GB builds, however some custom ROMS, such as Alien, enabled it.

The 4.0X ICS releases (leaks) for the skyrocket have fully functioning NFC capabilities.

Specific phones did (or maybe) still do have an NFC bug (Verizon's Nexus) phone couldn't handle certain types of formatted tags, but the SkyRocket hasn't had this or any other problem NFC related that I am aware of.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone