NFC - McDonald's UK by this summer

Search This thread

leyvatron

Dec 6, 2007
Los Angeles
The UK already has a big old investment in contactless technology with London's rather successful Oystercard travel scheme, but now the whole Kingdom can get a taste for airborne payments thanks to a new initiative from McDonald's and Visa. The two giants of commerce are uniting to bring NFC tech to all of the former's 1,200 fast food restaurants within the UK, allowing hungry Brits to pay for meals costing up to £15 by simply waving their credit card in front of the till Obi-wan-style. Of course, the real excitement of such large-scale NFC proliferation is in the potential to use those automated tills with your Nexus S (which has an NFC chip built right in) and other devices coming up this year that look set to feature the technology. So yeah, Visa had better be working hard on putting together some mobile apps.

Here's the link:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/24/mcdonalds-to-start-accepting-contactless-visa-payments-in-all-u/

We will probably see more NFC by this summer. I know China just released a new NFC app in the market.

Lets gets this NFC ball rolling.... :D

leyvatron

Dec 6, 2007
Los Angeles
If you guys pay close attention to SOME debit swipe checkouts.. you can also see a NFC layout. Mostly at gas stations and super markets. Hopefully all they have to do is update...

Something like this...

nfc_Mobile_Phone_Payment.jpg

vivotechreader72dpiN.1.jpg

kenvan19

Dec 7, 2010
Too bad that unless I'm mistaken there isn't a way to have your phone work for that I the states yet

Sent from my Nexus S

zorak950

Dec 21, 2010
I'm still unclear on this, actually. I heard that the Nexus S NFC chip is read-only, but I heard from somewhere else that that's a software limitation, not a hardware one. If anyone actually has a definitive answer about that, I'd be interested in hearing it.

kenvan19

Dec 7, 2010
I'm still unclear on this, actually. I heard that the Nexus S NFC chip is read-only, but I heard from somewhere else that that's a software limitation, not a hardware one. If anyone actually has a definitive answer about that, I'd be interested in hearing it.

What I remember hearing is that because the chip is just literally plastered into the back of the battery cover it is not as functional as it could be had it been designed into the phone.

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
that's exactly what i'm talking about

currently many GAS stations and big shot coffe shops are already using it.

but it's only for MasterCards

Visa and the others have not yet started deployment, which is kinda weird

If you guys pay close attention to SOME debit swipe checkouts.. you can also see a NFC layout. Mostly at gas stations and super markets. Hopefully all they have to do is update...

Something like this...

nfc_Mobile_Phone_Payment.jpg

vivotechreader72dpiN.1.jpg

jivemaster

May 6, 2010
Brisbane
It'd just the reality of it all. No one will invest unless they have a huge amount of people on board, and nexus s won't do that.

We kind of forget to thank the evil apple for a lot of things, for without their phone we wouldn't have companies paying as much attention as they have to the app scene. Especially web apps like internet banking. Before iphone none of the banks here in Australia even bothered with smartphone friendly websites. Then iphone came and they couldn't get their iphone sites up fast enough.

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
Although hopefully any NFC schemes are accessible to multiple platforms, otherwise we might see some shops only accepting "iTunes NFC payments"and others "Google NFC payments" and others Visa or Mastercard

Sent from my Nexus One

Hopefully it'll be a universal system, doesn't seem to make much sense if NFC is only limited to iOS or Android. It'll be Android vs iOS war IRL

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The UK already has a big old investment in contactless technology with London's rather successful Oystercard travel scheme, but now the whole Kingdom can get a taste for airborne payments thanks to a new initiative from McDonald's and Visa. The two giants of commerce are uniting to bring NFC tech to all of the former's 1,200 fast food restaurants within the UK, allowing hungry Brits to pay for meals costing up to £15 by simply waving their credit card in front of the till Obi-wan-style. Of course, the real excitement of such large-scale NFC proliferation is in the potential to use those automated tills with your Nexus S (which has an NFC chip built right in) and other devices coming up this year that look set to feature the technology. So yeah, Visa had better be working hard on putting together some mobile apps.

Here's the link:
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/24/mcdonalds-to-start-accepting-contactless-visa-payments-in-all-u/

We will probably see more NFC by this summer. I know China just released a new NFC app in the market.

Lets gets this NFC ball rolling.... :D
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone