Nfc tags for dummies (I'm the dummy)

Search This thread

TulpiX

Sep 8, 2008
I understand the security concerns. But i would prefer the checks for unlock to be in the aplication rather than system wide.

Something like apps could register to nfc tag scanning while locked and others not. So you could use automatisation while locked and apps like google wallet would not work.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

bushbrother

Aug 2, 2010
NFCDog

Just thought I would post here to give the guys at www.nfcdog.com some kudos. I ordered a few of the 1K NFC stickers to play with my Nexus. I noted that my order was #100 and cheekily asked if I had won a prize.

They have thrown in a free anti-metal tag too :)

Nice easy order process via Paypal too. I look forward to messing with them :)

Reactions: nfc-supplies

Lithoss

Jun 27, 2008
Seattle, WA
Alright, now i feel like a dummy working with NFC Task Launcher. When i open the app all i see is a set preferences below window. I can't do anything else with the program. I don't see an OK button, or any way to get out of the set preferences below window... Am I missing something?

edit: Nevermind.. seems you need the pay version to create anything useful...

Last edited:

nfc-supplies

Dec 2, 2011
www.nfcdog.com
You also got another 25mm tag :)

Thanks for the kudos, we're learning as we're going!

Just thought I would post here to give the guys at www.nfcdog.com some kudos. I ordered a few of the 1K NFC stickers to play with my Nexus. I noted that my order was #100 and cheekily asked if I had won a prize.

They have thrown in a free anti-metal tag too :)

Nice easy order process via Paypal too. I look forward to messing with them :)

eddie_gordo

Apr 7, 2010
Porto
When you guys say that with < 4.0.3 we have to buy pre-formatted tags, what do you mean? We have to ask the store to prepare the tags to do the tasks we want? Or just format them in the NDEF format and then we can write the tasks with 4.0.1 or 4.0.2? Or am I just saying crap? :D

I wasn't able to understand this, need some clarity here... :) I need to know if I can order some now or wait until I get 4.0.3..

Thanks

krohnjw

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 17, 2007
Plainfield
When you guys say that with < 4.0.3 we have to buy pre-formatted tags, what do you mean? We have to ask the store to prepare the tags to do the tasks we want? Or just format them in the NDEF format and then we can write the tasks with 4.0.1 or 4.0.2? Or am I just saying crap? :D

I wasn't able to understand this, need some clarity here... :) I need to know if I can order some now or wait until I get 4.0.3..

Thanks

It just means they have to come already formatted with ANY NDEF message. It doesn't matter what it is. Once it's NDEF Android can use write from the NDEF library without a problem to overwrite the contents.

The issue is that the NdefFormatable tech isn't showing up for BLANK tags so they cannot be formatted NDEF (from non-NDEF).

Reactions: eddie_gordo

eddie_gordo

Apr 7, 2010
Porto
Ok so I'll be good to write my tasks with NFC Task Launcher in a NFC tag NDEF formatted, with Android 4.0.2, right? I thought I wouldn't be able to write the tasks I wanted to perform... ;) thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

bushbrother

Aug 2, 2010
You also got another 25mm tag :)

Thanks for the kudos, we're learning as we're going!

Got the tags last night, awesome! They work with no problem and are so tiny!

FYI I am on GSM Galaxy Nexus 4.0.2

I bought the app discussed in another thread from the market to do all the profile changes etc. Works like a charm.

Oh, and thanks for the free tag and honest statement about postage nfc-supplies!

pascanu

Jan 22, 2009
Tg. Mures
Nice but not as useful as expected

Just got my tags today (ordered from TagAge, delivered in 5 days, got a Starter Kit, highly recommended for europeans). Using NFC Task Launcher and Tasker. After playing for several hours with it my conclusion is that it's more a "new toy syndrome" than a useful thing and here's why:
- NFC actions are one time actions; i.e. you touch the tag, the phone performs an action; there's no "exit task" (it's not like the phone is monitoring if it's still close to the tag), you have to touch the tag a second time to toggle a switch or touch another tag to perform a different task.
- ICS does not allow apps to turn on/off GPS so you can't use NFC for that (I was planning to enable GPS when the phone is in it's car holder)
- there's a beep every time you touch a tag; when you're in a quiet environment (e.g. bedroom) it's annoying; I haven't found a way to change the tone or silence it
- tags are pretty small, the largest I got could hold 1K. I tried putting a contact on it but it wouldn't fit, it was > 5 times bigger (photo?!). Other complex tasks can also get pretty big, bigger that can fit on smaller tags (most of them are 64 or 128 bytes). The workaround is to use Tasker: you create a Task that holds all the actions and use NFC Task Launcher only to read the tag and launch the Task. In this case using NFC is just ... geeky, you could do the same by putting a shortcut on your screen.

I just hope someone comes up with a much more powerful app, I feel there's more potential to be unleashed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do you guys know a good shop for nfc tags. Located in Europe? Or that delivers fast and cheap to Europe?

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

These guys are in Finland, and it looks like they are doing some pretty cool stuff with custom logos and such. I have no idea about how good/bad they are to do business with though...
    http://www.tagage.net/tagage-shop/
    NFC sounds amazing, I have just ordered 10 Stickers. Will test the functionality when they will arrive and maybe when I'm successful, write a small howto.

greets from austria
    1. Is it recommend/necessary to purchase pre-formatted tags to use with the Verizon LTE Galaxy Nexus? I have just switched to Gummy ROM based on 4.0.3 (I know need to update my signature). From what I have read 4.0.3 will support formatting, but is it just easier to purchase pre-formatted tags? Better question: Is there a down side to buying pre-formatted tags?

There is no downside outside of a small additional cost sometimes. If you are on a properly done 4.0.3 rom it should format. With that said it won't hurt to get them formatted.
    2. Which app would you recommend to program the tags with?

It doesn't matter. All apps use the same NdefFormatable class to format the tags NDEF, there is no difference in implementation, it's all done on the system side.

3. Anyone know a reputable supplier of NFC tags for someone in the U.S.?

Tagstand.com

I've listed quite a few shops that I've personally used here: http://www.jwksoftware.com/nfc-tags

I definitely want to play with this! Does anyone know a shop in the Netherlands or a webshop that ships to the Netherlands that sells smaller amounts of these NFC stickers?

thx

See the link above. There are quite a few shops based in the UK/Europe that ship around Europe.
    You mean QR Codes are outdated?
    [...]
    1. Is it recommend/necessary to purchase pre-formatted tags to use with the Verizon LTE Galaxy Nexus? I have just switched to Gummy ROM based on 4.0.3 (I know need to update my signature). From what I have read 4.0.3 will support formatting, but is it just easier to purchase pre-formatted tags? Better question: Is there a down side to buying pre-formatted tags?

2. Which app would you recommend to program the tags with?

3. Anyone know a reputable supplier of NFC tags for someone in the U.S.?

I appreciate any advice.

QR codes definitely take longer. You have to launch an application and then point the camera at it, line it up, wait for it to focus and then it goes.
    With NFC, you touch your phone to the tag and it goes.
    Its a relatively small difference all things considered, but it can be the difference between a person using it & not bothering.

1. With 4.0.3, it doesn't really make a difference. No plus and no minus. The only minus would be if you paid extra to have it formatted.
    2. I've been using NFC Task Launcher [it's like $2 ... use the money you save by not buying pre-formatted to buy this].
    3. I bought the hobbyist kit from tagstand.com It came within a few days (I chose unformatted since they wanted additional $ to program.

Obviously, if you aren't on 4.0.3, then buy pre-formatted, but otherwise there isn't really a point.
    I purchased some tags from tagstand.com. Just FYI to anyone reading, tagstand.com's purchase process was smooth and hassle free. No registration or account setup needed. In a day and age that I can't even walk into a store and purchase a pair of jeans without giving name, email, and phone number I found it refreshingly simple.

I did go ahead and spring for the pre-formatted. who knows I may one day flash back to a 4.0.2 ROM like ARHD someday.

Thank you everyone for the input. I think I got the thanks button on everyone :D

I would buy from tagstand but the shipping to Canada is absolutely ridiculous. ($25 USPS for stickers?!?!)

Has anyone ordered from http://www.tagage.net/ ?