[NIGHTLIES][ROM] [11.0.0] ArrowOS POCO X3 [OFFICIAL][SURYA][UNIFIED]

xStealth

Aug 1, 2011
if this rom has the vibration feature in the back of the phone while playing a video/music like the stock rom's one.
Wait.. the phone actually uses vibration motors while playing audio? I thought it was just reverberating inside the device. If so, that seems like a waste of battery life.

Edit: Confirmed. It's just reverb inside the device caused by the speaker in the ear piece. If you go to accessibility and enable "Mono audio" and then move the audio balance all the way to the right, the audio will exit the bottom speaker only while maintaining both L/R channels, thereby fixing the "issue". On the other hand, if you move audio balance to the right without enabling mono audio, you'll completely lose the sounds you'd normally hear from the left channel. In the end, this isn't a "feature" included in a rom, but a result of the actual hardware and physical design of the device.

Last edited:

MLDamazigh

Mar 25, 2015
Kabylia
Wait.. the phone actually uses vibration motors while playing audio? I thought it was just reverberating inside the device. If so, that seems like a waste of battery life.

Edit: Confirmed. It's just reverb inside the device. If you go to accessibility and enable "Mono audio" and then move the audio balance all the way to the right, it won't happen, but you'll lose the stereo-like effect.
I already know this trick but as you said i will lose stereo-like effect.and when enabled the sound comes only from one speaker.
So there is no solution to keep stereo effect and disable the vibration?

xStealth

Aug 1, 2011
So there is no solution to keep stereo effect and disable the vibration?
Not that I'm aware of. I've never disassembled the device, but it would appear the chamber is designed in such a way that causes this to happen, whether intentional or not. A questionable engineering choice to be sure.

xStealth

Aug 1, 2011
So it's not a software related problem?
To my knowledge software has nothing to do with it. Granted I'm not a dev so hopefully someone else can chime in, but judging by the reading I've done it would appear the top speaker is to blame. I suppose the output gain on the speaker could be lowered somehow to help minimize it, but then you'd also have a much harder to hear left channel. I can't imagine it has anything to do with a vibration motor activating (which would indicate software), because that would be a pretty ridiculous waste of battery life.

Reactions: GalaxyFan88

MLDamazigh

Mar 25, 2015
Kabylia
To my knowledge software has nothing to do with it. Granted I'm not a dev so hopefully someone else can chime in, but judging by the reading I've done it would appear the top speaker is to blame. I suppose the output gain on the speaker could be lowered somehow to help minimize it, but then you'd also have a much harder to hear left channel. I can't imagine it has anything to do with a vibration motor activating (which would indicate software), because that would be a pretty ridiculous waste of battery life.
Thank you very much for your time.

Master One

Jan 31, 2011
Europe
You can check it via a terminal with `getprop | grep '12\.0\.'`
I have just updated to the latest firmware V12.0.8.0.QJGEUXM and getprop | grep '12\.0\.' indeed does not show the firmware version, but only ODM and vendor (still as V12.0.7.0.QJGEUXM).

The question is now, what's ODM and what role do ODM and vendor play when using a custom ROM like ArrowOS?

I assume that updating the firmware should be enough, but how to check if the update indeed worked?

The flashable vendor hasn't been updated since September and is still on V12.0.2.0.QJGEUXM and of course it wouldn't make sense to flash the whole MIUI image.

jeryll

Dec 23, 2010
I have just updated to the latest firmware V12.0.8.0.QJGEUXM and getprop | grep '12\.0\.' indeed does not show the firmware version, but only ODM and vendor (still as V12.0.7.0.QJGEUXM).

The question is now, what's ODM and what role do ODM and vendor play when using a custom ROM like ArrowOS?

I assume that updating the firmware should be enough, but how to check if the update indeed worked?

The flashable vendor hasn't been updated since September and is still on V12.0.2.0.QJGEUXM and of course it wouldn't make sense to flash the whole MIUI image.
from my flashing experiences with Poco X3 NFC really doesn't matter what I thinked was enough to successfull boot new custom ROM, only what the phone "thinks" about that...

for example I was unable to boot NOS 11 if I only flashed fw+vendor provided by ROM creator, but after a few unsuccessful attempts I had this enlightenment - what if that's not enough, what if there is (still) something missing, so I tried to flash xiaomi.eu rom before flashing NOS 11 and guess what? NOS 11 finally booted...

since then I tried almost all custom ROMs available to X3 NFC and often the only way how to persuade my phone to "accept" new ROM was to flash the full recovery version of latest available MIUI before (cca 2.4 GB big) so it really make sense to do that :)

Master One

Jan 31, 2011
Europe
I have just discovered a strange issue that I have heard of before but never experienced myself:

I have two SIMs in my phone, both are "4G Calling" capable and I have activated that setting for both.

With that setting I can see the caller ID on an incoming call on SIM2 but not on SIM1 ("Unknown").

If I disable "4G Calling" for SIM1 the caller ID is shown as usual.

This has all worked before with the same SIMs in my old OnePlus 6 with LineageOS 16 for microG, so it is confirmed that both SIMs are capable and generally functioning properly with "4G Calling", just not in my POCO X3 NFC with ArrowOS (haven't tried with another custom ROM though).

Any ideas?

iakoboss7

May 6, 2011
Athens
from my flashing experiences with Poco X3 NFC really doesn't matter what I thinked was enough to successfull boot new custom ROM, only what the phone "thinks" about that...

for example I was unable to boot NOS 11 if I only flashed fw+vendor provided by ROM creator, but after a few unsuccessful attempts I had this enlightenment - what if that's not enough, what if there is (still) something missing, so I tried to flash xiaomi.eu rom before flashing NOS 11 and guess what? NOS 11 finally booted...

since then I tried almost all custom ROMs available to X3 NFC and often the only way how to persuade my phone to "accept" new ROM was to flash the full recovery version of latest available MIUI before (cca 2.4 GB big) so it really make sense to do that :)
Do you do the same process even when you are dirty flashing rom updates?

jeryll

Dec 23, 2010
Do you do the same process even when you are dirty flashing rom updates?
- not really, most of the time with dirty flash that is not needed, only before flashing a new ROM (and since I'm lazy, I often don't do that either)
- but you'll definitely know that you should reflash "MIUI base" when suddenly the ROM you successfully flashed and booted before, failed to do that now...

Reactions: iakoboss7

iakoboss7

May 6, 2011
Athens
- not really, most of the time with dirty flash that is not needed, only before flashing a new ROM (and since I'm lazy, I often don't do that either)
- but you'll definitely know that you should reflash "MIUI base" when suddenly the ROM you successfully flashed and booted before, failed to do that now...
What will happen if i do it though?

Have you tried it?
(I am always speaking only about: dirty flash rom update).

jeryll

Dec 23, 2010
What will happen if i do it though?

Have you tried it?
(I am always speaking only about: dirty flash rom update).
- no problem, you can do it (flashing "base MIUI") every time before you're flashing ROM (just flash GAPPS and Magisk too after custom ROM)
- also we don't have indestructible phones - our EMMC only survives limited number of write cycles (not sure how many) - the more it will be written on - the sooner it can fail (not saying it will)

Reactions: iakoboss7

CounterC

Oct 26, 2012

So let's say that I come from a custom ROM and I flash the latest MIUI image (2.4GB) and I don't flash anything on top of it then I end up with a rooted MIUI stock ROM?

- Download MIUI image
- Reboot to OFOX
- Format Data
- Flash MIUI
- Flash Magisk
- ...?

Master One

Jan 31, 2011
Europe
I have just discovered a strange issue that I have heard of before but never experienced myself: I have two SIMs in my phone, both are "4G Calling" capable and I have activated that setting for both. With that setting I can see the caller ID on an incoming call on SIM2 but not on SIM1 ("Unknown"). If I disable "4G Calling" for SIM1 the caller ID is shown as usual.
Solved it, not a problem with ArrowOS but a Xiaomi firmware bug:

[GUIDE] How To Fix The "Unknown" Caller ID Issue With "4G Calling" Enabled

Reactions: pnin