[ROM] [11.0.0] ArrowOS POCO X3 [OFFICIAL][SURYA][UNIFIED]

Search This thread

iakoboss7

SkaboXD

Jan 18, 2017
Ganja
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Don't get too comfortable, ArrowOS is soon moving to OSS Vendor builds which will require a clean flash, the current build will be the last on stock vendor.

Damned, I have just finished to properly setup and configure six POCO X3 NFC.

So what's the recommended procedure to clean flash the new version with OSS Vendor and keeping all settings, apps and data?

So far I have only dirty flashed nightly updates (either OTA or through OrangeFox, followed by cache wipes), so a reliable and detailed explanation would be very much appreciated.
We don't know yet for sure, but installation instructions usually goes like this:

Format data, wipe cache & dalvik cache
Flash latest A11 firmware only (If custom ROM is based on it, which we don't know yet for ArrowOS. Other OSS vendor ROMs like Pixel Experience & WaveOS are based on it.)
Reboot to recovery
Flash ArrowOS

*Optional*
Flash Magisk
Flash Gapps (If you're on Vanilla build)

Reboot to system.

Master One

Jan 31, 2011
Europe
We don't know yet for sure, but installation instructions usually goes like this:

Format data, wipe cache & dalvik cache
Flash latest A11 firmware only (If custom ROM is based on it, which we don't know yet for ArrowOS. Other OSS vendor ROMs like Pixel Experience & WaveOS are based on it.)
Reboot to recovery
Flash ArrowOS

*Optional*
Flash Magisk
Flash Gapps (If you're on Vanilla build)

Reboot to system.
The question is not really the install process, but the restoration of data after a clean flash.

BTW It makes no sense to format data before flashing any ROM, only afterwards.

Reactions: aLexzkter

camperbh

Feb 22, 2021
The question is not really the install process, but the restoration of data after a clean flash.

BTW It makes no sense to format data before flashing any ROM, only afterwards.
Why doesn't it make sense? The steps to install WaveOS says to format data before flashing both the firmware and the rom for instance. I didn't follow that the first time I tried installing it and I got error 1. When I followed the instructions, it went smoothly.
Just curious.

Reactions: SkaboXD

Master One

Jan 31, 2011
Europe
Why doesn't it make sense? The steps to install WaveOS says to format data before flashing both the firmware and the rom for instance. I didn't follow that the first time I tried installing it and I got error 1. When I followed the instructions, it went smoothly.
Just curious.
Because flashing any ROM doesn't touch the data partition. You format the data partition AFTER flashing a ROM, which makes it a clean flash instead of a dirty flash, so that device encryption will be set up correctly on first boot.

Reactions: pnin

SkaboXD

Jan 18, 2017
Ganja
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Because flashing any ROM doesn't touch the data partition. You format the data partition AFTER flashing a ROM, which makes it a clean flash instead of a dirty flash, so that device encryption will be set up correctly on first boot.
If you looked at data partition after flash, you would see that data partition is indeed modified. Where else custom ROM could save app data?

Format data is ALWAYS done before flashing custom ROM because you are cleaning the data partition list that way, which means that encryption is removed & than afterwards, you are flashing the custom ROM which modifies the same data partition but with it's partition list applied. Some ROMs have encryption, some not. If you don't want encryption, you can flash Universal Encryption Remover or flash unecrypted vendor If you wish. Not anyone want's unencrypted data.

To answer you the previous question, you can use OandBackupX to backup apps, but it needs root. That's the only method of proper backup + restore that I know.

Vulnerability

Sep 14, 2017
so the 3/5/2021 build is the last one with the stock vendor?
Correct

Damned, I have just finished to properly setup and configure six POCO X3 NFC.

So what's the recommended procedure to clean flash the new version with OSS Vendor and keeping all settings, apps and data?

So far I have only dirty flashed nightly updates (either OTA or through OrangeFox, followed by cache wipes), so a reliable and detailed explanation would be very much appreciated.
I guess OP will release instructions soon.

Reactions: iakoboss7

Master One

Jan 31, 2011
Europe
If you looked at data partition after flash, you would see that data partition is indeed modified. Where else custom ROM could save app data?

Format data is ALWAYS done before flashing custom ROM because you are cleaning the data partition list that way, which means that encryption is removed & than afterwards, you are flashing the custom ROM which modifies the same data partition but with it's partition list applied. Some ROMs have encryption, some not. If you don't want encryption, you can flash Universal Encryption Remover or flash unecrypted vendor If you wish. Not anyone want's unencrypted data.
I don't know about other ROMs, but ArrowOS definitely does not modify the data partition on installation. Please see the installation instructions in the initial post:
Instructions

• Remove any fingerprint, PIN or password in MIUI
  • Unlock the bootloader
  • Transfer ROM to internal storage
  • Install any suitable recovery
  • Flash ROM zip file
  • Do a data wipe in recovery (format data)
  • Reboot to system, wait and enjoy
Of course it should not make any difference if data is formated before or after, but if you do it before flashing the ROM, you will have to have the files you want to flash elsewhere.
To answer you the previous question, you can use OandBackupX to backup apps, but it needs root. That's the only method of proper backup + restore that I know.
I'm using OandBackupX, but that's not the solution for a complete data partition restoration.

Any body knows, why the new OSS Vendor requires a clean flash with formating the data partition?
I guess OP will release instructions soon.
Lets hope so, because this really is of concern.

Computer, ping @ganesh varma :geek:

bupeapoop

Apr 5, 2021
I'm using OandBackupX, but that's not the solution for a complete data partition restoration.

Will this recover all of your apps and config files? Have you tried it before with great success? If so, I reckon I'll root my phone and get this app installed to prepare everything for the new release of ArrowOS. A good deal of time has been spent getting everything setup on my phone to a point where I'm now happy with how it's all configured and running. The last thing I want to have to do now is format to have to go through setting everything back up all over again.

The easier it is to format and recover my data, the better. Time is something I don't have a great deal of at the minute!

Master One

Jan 31, 2011
Europe
Will this recover all of your apps and config files? Have you tried it before with great success? If so, I reckon I'll root my phone and get this app installed to prepare everything for the new release of ArrowOS. A good deal of time has been spent getting everything setup on my phone to a point where I'm now happy with how it's all configured and running. The last thing I want to have to do now is format to have to go through setting everything back up all over again.

The easier it is to format and recover my data, the better. Time is something I don't have a great deal of at the minute!
If properly configured, it will backup all apps and their data. The problem is, what else needs to be done to preserve phone settings and what else.

I have not tested a full backup and I'm not sure about the proper configuration and what it will do about system apps and their settings.

Can really nobody answer the question, why a clean flash (= data partition to be wiped) is required just because of the move to the OSS vendor?

Because usually a data wipe may be necessary when moving from one ROM to another, but what does it have to do with the same ROM with new vendor???

Reactions: iakoboss7

donovank45

Jan 18, 2021
Hi

First of all a big thanks to the dev and everyone who made this rom. I clean flashed it 3 days ago and I'm very happy with the performance and overall build.
The only thing that doesn't seem to work for me, is the ambient display.
Pick-up, handwave, or pocket (proximity sensor) options are turned on, but the phone doesn't wake up. I have to press a button or tap twice for it to wake.
Anyone else has this issue?

Screenshot_20210506-211849.png

Reactions: Berik84

evolez

May 29, 2013
Hi

First of all a big thanks to the dev and everyone who made this rom. I clean flashed it 3 days ago and I'm very happy with the performance and overall build.
The only thing that doesn't seem to work for me, is the ambient display.
Pick-up, handwave, or pocket (proximity sensor) options are turned on, but the phone doesn't wake up. I have to press a button or tap twice for it to wake.
Anyone else has this issue?

View attachment 5301699
It works for me. You may have proximity sensor issue. Check your sensor, it works or not

AcaSia0388

Mar 27, 2016
After this update, it will be forced to boot intermittently.

The phone suddenly turns off at random and transforms into a boot animation.

Is there a reason??

Master One

Jan 31, 2011
Europe
First of all a big thanks to the dev and everyone who made this rom. I clean flashed it 3 days ago and I'm very happy with the performance and overall build. The only thing that doesn't seem to work for me, is the ambient display. Pick-up, handwave, or pocket (proximity sensor) options are turned on, but the phone doesn't wake up. I have to press a button or tap twice for it to wake. Anyone else has this issue?
It kind of works, but not that well. I've already had a discussion about that with the ArrowOS devs at their GitLab tracker:

camperbh

Feb 22, 2021

Berik84

Yeah those features worked for me as they should only on the stock MIUI and PE. All the OSS ROMs I have tried either didn't have those features or it didn't work at all (on WaveOS mostly, it was like 30-70 with the pick up gesture).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    logo.png

ArrowOS

ABOUT
    ArrowOS
    is an AOSP/CAF based project started with the aim of keeping things simple, clean and neat.

Telegram: Channel | TG Portal/Links
    Github: https://github.com/ArrowOS
    Code Review: review.arrowos.net
    E-mail: arrowos.contact
    PayPal: Donate to us
    Blog: blog.arrowos.net

Checkout more documentation at (maintainership/contributing): Check this out

WHAT WORKS?
    • Almost everything

WHAT DOESN'T WORK?
    • You tell me
    Be sure to include a log : check how to

DOWNLOADS
    POCO X3 (NFC) (surya/karna)

Note: These are enforcing builds. Safety net checks pass out of the box! No need to flash magisk modules, which might in turn break the integrity!

Builds have been unified now under surya codename for both NFC and non-NFC variants

Tip: Select OEM -> Device,choose Arrow version, choose build type: "GAPPS" or "VANILLA" to download.

Latest Instructions for OSS builds (w.e.f 10/05/2021)
    If migrating from pre OSS builds
    • Flash the latest available MIUI 11 firmware. (Flash global or any if you can't find your region)
    • Download and copy arrow build to a OTG prendrive or sd card.
    • Now flash Arrow Vanilla/Gapps build.
    • FORMAT DATA. (You'll loose all your data!)
    • Reboot.
    Fresh install coming from MIUI
    • Flash latest available MIUI 11 if you aren't on it already.
    • Install any suitable recovery (mentioned below).
    • Download and copy arrow build to a OTG prendrive or sd card.
    • Flash latest Arrow Vanilla/Gapps build.
    • Reboot.
    TWRP Recovery by @brigudav :
    Note: This build of twrp will support decryption on ArrowOS OSS builds.

ArrowOS Recovery :
    Note: This is a very basic aosp recovery only intended for OTA installs. Do NOT expect other functionalities.​
    * Do not use with DFE or while unencrypted.​
    F.A.Q :

1. My WiFi, bluetooth and network aren't working after updating to OSS build?
    A. This happens if you're still on the old Q firmware. Flash the latest available R firmware and then follow the above give steps to properly flash the rom.​

2. Unable to update OTA's using TWRP?
    A. The current available recoveries are outdated and are no longer supported for OSS builds. To have a hassle free OTA experience use the above mentioned ArrowOS recovery.
    A. Two of the currently supported recoveries are mentioned above.​

Read our blog article/post about:
    * GAPPS and VANILLA variants
    * Checking build integrity

ROM Source: https://github.com/ArrowOS
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/ArrowOS-Devices/android_kernel_xiaomi_surya

XDA:DevDB Information
    ArrowOS, ROM for the Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC

Contributors
    ganesh varma, kubersharma, palaych
    Source Code: https://github.com/ArrowOS

ROM OS Version: Android 11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Latest R firmware
    Based On: AOSP, CAF

Version Information
    Stable
    Stable Release Date: 2020-11-19

Created 2020-11-19
    Last Updated 2021-05-18
    Hello.

Does anyone have any working TWRP for Surya model ?

I see that the developer Brigudav seems to have given up on developing TWRP for Surya.

TWRP by Brigudav Official website

So is there any replacement ?

Thank you very much.
    Update -09
    So i haven't been around here for a while, after looking at the recent posts many seem to be confused, blaming and do not understand on migrating to OSS builds. In the final MIUI vendor builds the OTA functionality was blocked in order to prevent users from directly updating to OSS builds as it will be needing a MIUI 11 firmware followed by a clean flash. The same has been notified in our device changelogs. Every step and preventive measures have been taken, there's only much i can do from my side in clearing things up. We have this forum and community in place to help each other out, so lets not be pointing fingers here!

Here again i would like to make it clear with a simple guide on how to migrate onto OSS build!

Note: This update will require a CLEAN FLASH (format data), so please backup everything beforehand.
    • Flash the latest available MIUI 11 firmware. (Region doesn't matter!!)
    • Now flash Arrow Vanilla/Gapps build.
    • Reboot.
    Beware that the current available recoveries haven't been updated yet to support decryption for OSS builds at this point.
    Here are the instructions on how you should flash the new OSS Vendor ROM since most people here are confused:

- Flash latest TWRP by brigudav
    - Flash Android 11 12.0.7 MIUI firmware
    - Reboot recovery
    - Format Data
    - Reboot recovery
    - Flash ArrowOS

OPTIONAL:
    - Flash Magisk
    - Flash Gapps (If you're on Vanilla build & If you want custom gapps)

- Reboot system

Download link:
    - Firmware: https://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com/firmware/surya/stable/V12.0.7.0.RJGEUXM/
    - TWRP: You can find it on 4pda but you need an account. I'm not allowed to share it, so you have to get it yourself.

This firmware is for NFC model as I'm not sure where is A11 firmware for non-NFC model. It can possibly work for non-NFC model, feel free to try.
    Mission Impossible in all custom ROMs !

1. Safetynet check the bootloader status and will automatically fail if magisk is not installed (Magisk Hide ON must be applied for this) !

2. Furthermore, now you have to install the safetynet-fix module to make your banking apps working !

3. Finally, you must hide Magisk Manager.apk with a random name too (Magisk Settings)
    To everyone, please STOP this misconception about having the need to flash magisk in order to pass safety net. Do read the OP I've clearly mentioned there's no need of a magisk or modules for safety net. Device is certified and passes safety net out of the box without need of any modifications.

By improper usage of magisk and mods you're further complicating and breaking things when they're completely unnecessary which end up causing unrelated issues which you end up calling them rom source bugs ¯\(◉‿◉)/¯

P.S : I'm not against magisk, but when you do prefer using modifications do ask yourself on your needs and if you're able to rectify the issues it might generate. Isolate yourself from magisk or any form of modifications to recheck and confirm the issue before making a bug report.