• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[NIGHTLY][Full HWA] CyanogenMod 9 [4.0.4][Kernel: cmhtcleo/tytung]

Search This thread

Bazel

Aug 22, 2010
I have had the same with the build from 16-06. Today installed the latest build and it isall okay !

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA

kikisp

Jul 23, 2010
Beograd
By some talk by 30-100% faster..but initial tests are not good..there is no performance gain at all..but most of optimizations that bring speed isnt implemented yet...

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA

Dr_Grip

Jul 23, 2011
By some talk by 30-100% faster..but initial tests are not good..there is no performance gain at all..but most of optimizations that bring speed isnt implemented yet...
Wait, the linaro toolchain is just a new set of compilers? I don't know jack **** about the standard gcc implementation for ARM but I don't think you can get close to this performance gains just by changing the toolchain.

Bologna

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 4, 2010
Bologna
www.hdblog.it
Wait, the linaro toolchain is just a new set of compilers? I don't know jack **** about the standard gcc implementation for ARM but I don't think you can get close to this performance gains just by changing the toolchain.

just quoting Romanbb (AOKP main developer)

The optimizations don't increase the speed of Android by 100%, nor do they inject butter. They use a newer toolchain to compile Android, which has more optimizations. The Linaro people have also made the proper changes in Android code to allow builds to be compiled with -O3 instead of -O2 flags (think of it as another pass of code optimizations)

Dr_Grip

Jul 23, 2011
Ok, so it is just a newer toolchain. While I doubt it will bring any real-life performance gains, there are enough benchmark junkies here who'll be pleased once it's implemented. But as Romanbb said, there will not be a 100% performance gain. Don't get your hopes up too high, guys.

Never the less it won't hurt to finally have a current toolchain again, that's for sure.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

I know I am the first to shout "it's a nightly, not a cooked ROM!" but it seems like marc's new notification light library could be exactly the kind of HD2-specific change that should be pulled into the device repo.

EDIT: Just looked into marc's repo, I see milaq has already taken action ;)

Last edited:

Burag

Jun 29, 2009
I will quote Rick's post from here: http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#/c/17535/

Noticable performance regression here, using a cortex-a8 chip (QCT 8250b) HTC leo, i think it would be a better idea to separate cortex-a8 and a9, there's quite a lot of timing information available about A8 and that has resulted into quite a lot of blazing fast code (refer to strings from apple open source and a memcpy from some guy working at nokia), I'm using apple's string library for cortex-A8 and the neon-memcpy from nokia, and till now it's been wonderful. (note: I'm using that under an RTOS on the same device and not android, though that shouldn't make much of a difference).

It looks like the big part of linaro guys work was targeting mostly A9 chips...
(as far as I understand).

I'm curious how about the newer toolchain and -O3 flag - will it bring us any benefits?
I've read in CM gerrit that those still causes bugs on some devices, but how about HD2?

BTW. Shame that my only Linux box is x86 Pentium IV based :(

Last edited:

Dr_Grip

Jul 23, 2011
Code better optimized at compile time (as in -O3 instead of -O2) will run a little faster. But it still is the same code that is getting compiled running on the same hardware. A newer toolchain and better compile-time optimization will bring some performance gains but I would not expect any miracles.

kylew1212

Dec 1, 2011
Alabama
www.memoryx2.com
Code better optimized at compile time (as in -O3 instead of -O2) will run a little faster. But it still is the same code that is getting compiled running on the same hardware. A newer toolchain and better compile-time optimization will bring some performance gains but I would not expect any miracles.

Would it be possible for me to compile milaq's repo using the new toolchain and test for improvements?

Sent from my HTC HD2 using xda premium

Dr_Grip

Jul 23, 2011
Would it be possible for me to compile milaq's repo using the new toolchain and test for improvements?
Try following the compile how-to in the first post. First with the standard Android SDK. If that results in a working build, i.e. if you have checked that your environment is sane, you can try installing linaro and see if it compiles and runs.

But be advised, the system requirements for compiling ICS/CM9 are insane.

Wareazy

Nov 1, 2011
NYC
Hey all, got a few questions hope someone can point me in the right direction.
Ill start off by saying that I'm using a SG2 and i've been on a flash binge for the last 2-3 months for that phone.

However my GF has an old HD2 which we bought rooted with CM7. I believe its on MAGLDR on it.
So the first question: can i just down load the zip and flash it the way i have been doing it for my SG2 (using MAGLDR in a similar way to the way i have been CWM)? Or do i have some hoops to jump through?

P.S. i tried searching for the info, but a lot of them go into installing MAGLDR or something else, and im really hoping to not have to do that.

Rick_1995

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2009
Santa Clara
Hey all, got a few questions hope someone can point me in the right direction.
Ill start off by saying that I'm using a SG2 and i've been on a flash binge for the last 2-3 months for that phone.

However my GF has an old HD2 which we bought rooted with CM7. I believe its on MAGLDR on it.
So the first question: can i just down load the zip and flash it the way i have been doing it for my SG2 (using MAGLDR in a similar way to the way i have been CWM)? Or do i have some hoops to jump through?

P.S. i tried searching for the info, but a lot of them go into installing MAGLDR or something else, and im really hoping to not have to do that.

1) read the first post properly
2) Partition your phone using DWI in recovery for magldr while the phone is connected to the PC in "USB Flasher" mode. (Make sure you have MS activesync drivers installed, this is Windows Mobile Device Center in Windows Vista/7)
3) After having partitioned the device, select AD RECOVERY (this is CWM).
4) Rest all is nearly same as a native android phone. Install zip and reboot. However iirc magldr required some extra stuff which i don't quite remember since I'm on clk right now.

Happy flashing (Although don't have much high hopes from the old bugger compared to the speed demon in your sgs2).

If it's for your girlfriend, i highly suggest you use a cm7 build as currently cm9 is good for daily use but a few things are broken (hw accelerated media encode/decode, flash player etc..).

Wareazy

Nov 1, 2011
NYC
1) read the first post properly
2) Partition your phone using DWI in recovery for magldr while the phone is connected to the PC in "USB Flasher" mode. (Make sure you have MS activesync drivers installed, this is Windows Mobile Device Center in Windows Vista/7)
3) After having partitioned the device, select AD RECOVERY (this is CWM).
4) Rest all is nearly same as a native android phone. Install zip and reboot. However iirc magldr required some extra stuff which i don't quite remember since I'm on clk right now.

Happy flashing (Although don't have much high hopes from the old bugger compared to the speed demon in your sgs2).

If it's for your girlfriend, i highly suggest you use a cm7 build as currently cm9 is good for daily use but a few things are broken (hw accelerated media encode/decode, flash player etc..).

Thanks for the info! Ill go for a CM7 updated build.
Im sure she will be fine with it, basic emailing and facebook.
She just wants something new and she's kinda jealous of me flashing every other day and "making your phone even better"!

nygmam

Oct 15, 2007
New York, NY
I will still be flashing this ROM to my old HD2, but I just got my new phone and will be keeping the HD2 for backup and as an awesome toy. As I won't be using it daily or as a phone I probably won't have much useful feedback but still looking forward to testing new builds as they roll out.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Reactions: milaq

kylew1212

Dec 1, 2011
Alabama
www.memoryx2.com
Try following the compile how-to in the first post. First with the standard Android SDK. If that results in a working build, i.e. if you have checked that your environment is sane, you can try installing linaro and see if it compiles and runs.

But be advised, the system requirements for compiling ICS/CM9 are insane.

Can you give me an idea of the system requirements?

My system is:
dual boot windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04

i7
8 gigs memory
Roughly 360 gig hard drive for each os.

Its not the nicest or the best but it does what I need it for.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    xNnWC.png

Welcome to the unofficial CyanogenMod 9 nightlies

The releases will co-inside and the build start time is at 00:01 UTC, and by 01:00 the builds should be uploaded. If at anytime the builds are not there, then there was a problem building the ROM, and we will have a look at it ASAP

These builds are compiled from the latest CyanogenMod repos and device repos on device and vendor files.

Furthermore these builds are multiDPI, i.e. you can run the rom at any dpi between 160 and 240 while having hi-res assets. Also Phone.apk won't crash anymore if a DPI < 190 is set.

kernel/ramdisk packaged boot.img style
    if you are on magldr see second post for instructions

System partition size currently required:
    Without Gapps 155MB
    With Gapps light 190MB
    With Gapps standard 195MB

Download nightly builds here

or via GooManager
    Google apps
    Latest Gapps LIGHT (2012-03-17) for ICS
    (picoTTS folder removed to save some diskspace - can be downloaded to SD later if needed)

Tip: If you want to have your softbuttons and/or density settings persist over updates and don't want to edit build.prop with every update, use local.prop.
    create a file named local.prop in your /data root (i.e. /data/local.prop) with the following contents (for example):
    Code:
    qemu.sf.lcd_density=160    # overrides ro.sf.lcd_density in build.prop
    qemu.hw.mainkeys=0    # activates the softbuttons

• arif-ali - for his huge contribution to the cmhtcleo project and beeing a indispensable part of the Android community
    • securecrt and Rick1995 - for their awesome work on a full HWA kernel and other great contibutions to the Leo codebase
    • copenhagen - for support with CM7 and now with ICS/CM9
    • warrenb213 - for support with CM7 and now with ICS/CM9
    • charnsingh_online - For starting this great project for porting to CM
    • tytung - Continued dedication of his work to the HD2 Thanks for you kernels
    • texasice - For creating the first HD2 compitable ICS through passion/bravo
    • ankuch - thanks for the HW accel, codecs and Camera
    • zivan56 - your input for the headphone fix
    • Bexton - The fix for USB Mass Storage
    • michie - Your work on ICS for the HD2
    • cyanogen - For starting this great project
    • Google - This wouldn't have happened without the releases of Android from you

Visit us in #cmhtcleo on freenode
    Webchat

---------- brought to you by the cmhtcleo team ----------
    arif-ali | milaq | zeusk

MAGLDR instructions

Although we have an unified updater-script for both cLK and MAGLDR you need to take care that your MAGLDR partitioning is correct.

We are using boot.img style kernel/ramdisk (as everyone else should be).
    For MAGLDR users that means that you need to specify your boot partition as rboot.

The following flash.cfg is recommended (system size can vary)

Code:
    misc ya 1M
    recovery rrecov|ro|nospr filesize recovery-raw.img
    [COLOR="Green"]boot rboot|ro 5M[/COLOR]
    system ya 190M
    cache ya 2M
    userdata ya|asize|hr allsize

Instead, you can also download this package:
    http://milaq.exnet.me/downloads/android/leo/magldr_part_cm9.zip

Extract and run DAF to flash the layout above
    Building from source

I thought it would be a good idea that I just give a quick run through on how this is compiled.

First we need a Linux environment, preferably Ubuntu >= 12.04 or a recent Debian

Follow the simple Howto here, to just get an idea of the pre-requisites

To initialize the common cyanogenmod repos, run the following command
    Code:
    repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b ics

then to get device specific repos for the HD2 you need to pull in a local manifest.
    you can use this one
    Code:
    curl https://raw.github.com/milaq/android/ics/local_manifest_htc_leo.xml > .repo/local_manifest.xml
    (you can of course tailor your own too)

then you need to sync the repositories
    Code:
    repo sync

You can also run repo sync -j 4, say if you had 4 cores to speed things up, you may also need to add a -f, to make sure that it continues to the end even if you get any error messages. You may need to repeat this process 2 or 3 times to make sure everything is synced. This will take a long time to synchronise, so be patient.

next run the following command to gets some prebuilt apks (doesn't need to be done with every build)
    Code:
    vendor/cm/get-prebuilts

so after this, you need to run the following commands

Code:
    . build/envsetup
    lunch cm_leo-userdebug
    make -j4 bacon

This has changed from lunch cyanogen_leo-eng to lunch cm_leo-userdebug, this is the new method from CyanogenMod team for CM9

In the end you will get a zip file in out/target/product/leo/full_leo-ota-eng.root.zip.
    I'll look into what can be done for tether, hopefully it should be helpful for upstream (tytung) too, other than that i notice no noticeable change in the .35 kernels (personal opinion).

I have fixed usb tethering.
    Hi all,

Some of you guys must be thinking that maybe I have deserted this project.

Nope.

I have been busy at work, family etc... Real Life can sometimes take over; I have been doing the occasional testing, but not getting that far.

The code that tytiung, nexusn1, uses code from AOSP, and some of the code is cherry-picked from CM, and codeaurora, so everything seems to be working. It also seems the compilers may be slightly different as well, therefore the pre-compiled HW accel stuff doesn't work.

I on the other hand am trying to get CM (core) to work, It could be that I need to port the adreno200 code from what they are using to the CM code, and go from there, and see if we can get it working. Even I am getting blank screen with no HW accel :(; although touch screen is working.

So at the moment I am stuck at the HW accell and display drivers from 4.0.3. When I have news I will get back.

regards,
    Arif