• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[NIGHTLY][ROM][4.4] CyanogenMod 11 for Samsung Galaxy S

Search This thread

astrosp4c3

May 28, 2012
Moon
In last version (20140105) we have 371mb of ram , i didnt notice this change in last changelog..however better have more :D

u2usa2ur.jpg

Sent by i9000 KitKat ^-^

Reactions: freakymod2120

freakymod2120

Jun 26, 2013
Yes i flashed latest nightly 10 minutes before and now we`ve got 3 MB more RAM ...it is great which improvements pawitp finds to "upgrade" our RAM

Here are the links to the commits for the JEPG-optimization ...like downhere noticed...
http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/56795/
http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/56791/
http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/56792/

And with next nightly we get some more RAM because of more ZRAM (instead of 64MB 128 MB...)
http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/56892/

Great pawitp thanks for the great great support and development for our i9000 :good::good:

In last version (20140105) we have 371mb of ram , i didnt notice this change in last changelog..however better have more :D

u2usa2ur.jpg

Sent by i9000 KitKat ^-^

Last edited:
Reactions: astrosp4c3

Nash123

Sep 21, 2010
Hi Pawitp. Made an observation. Bug or (security)feature? If you disable locking via tiles it won't be remembered after a reboot. It needs to be enabled and disabled again to be disabled.

It is my first kk-nightly btw. Switched today from 10.2-stable.

Great work btw! Thx for keeping our device alive. I started with eclair several years ago and now we have kitkat thanks to you and all who contribute :)

geckoas

May 13, 2012
Nuremberg
Thank you for the detailed report.

- Can you try uninstalling GO Dialer/GO SMS and see if it has any effect?
- Using adb shell, run "busybox top" and see if any process is excessively using the CPU while you're waiting for the screen to appear or not. Take a few screenshots.

Hello Pawitp,

can't get adb to work. It shows "error: device offline" even if I use "adb kill-server" and connect to different USB-Ports on my computer.

But the delay seems to have gone after i installed XXJVT Modem instead of XXJW4 that i used before, as "cheeseous" posted
- The ringtone apears short after the first vibration and the screen goes on within 3-4 seconds. This is acceptable for me.

Afterwords I installed XXJW4 modem to crosscheck with the same short delay.
Now I'm back on XXJVT, with again the same short delay.

Thanks for all your assistance.

EDIT:
Got adb to work after installation of latest Samsung USB drivers from Android-sync V 1.112

Last edited:
Reactions: cheeseous

nekuy

Aug 28, 2007
Hello Pawitp,

can't get adb to work. It shows "error: device offline" even if I use "adb kill-server" and connect to different USB-Ports on my computer.

But the delay seems to have gone after i installed XXJVT Modem instead of XXJW4 that i used before, as "cheeseous" posted
- The ringtone apears short after the first vibration and the screen goes on within 3-4 seconds. This is acceptable for me.

Afterwords I installed XXJW4 modem to crosscheck with the same short delay.
Now I'm back on XXJVT, with again the same short delay.

Thanks for all your assistance.

You can run "htop" command on phone terminal emulator instead of "busybox top" on PC adb shell.

Last edited:

fatino

Oct 4, 2010
I also wanna confirm incoming call lag. About 2-3 seconds for me. Sorry no logs but I wanna point out that its probably not a modem problem. Its ringing(icon in notifications pops up, even my KDE Connect report on my computer comes) so the connection works only call ui lags. For me even 2 call uis poped up. One with big red bar as if I was calling (wat) and second on top of that with swiping ring to either answer or dissmiss. I dont think it was like that before.
Also next at call call ui comes faster so it kinda stays in ram. Maybe there is a problem.

EDIT: At systempanel before call there wasnt com.android.incallui system process. Its there after the call though and dissapears after some time. Maybe somethings with that.
EDIT2: Its gotta have to do something with how 4.4 handles core android services. They are separate now. So maybe there is the way to keep incallui service always in memory.

Last edited:

pawitp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 30, 2010
Bangkok
I also wanna confirm incoming call lag. About 2-3 seconds for me. Sorry no logs but I wanna point out that its probably not a modem problem. Its ringing(icon in notifications pops up, even my KDE Connect report on my computer comes) so the connection works only call ui lags. For me even 2 call uis poped up. One with big red bar as if I was calling (wat) and second on top of that with swiping ring to either answer or dissmiss. I dont think it was like that before.
Also next at call call ui comes faster so it kinda stays in ram. Maybe there is a problem.

EDIT: At systempanel before call there wasnt com.android.incallui system process. Its there after the call though and dissapears after some time. Maybe somethings with that.
EDIT2: Its gotta have to do something with how 4.4 handles core android services. They are separate now. So maybe there is the way to keep incallui service always in memory.

I consider 2 - 3 seconds as acceptable. The issue is that some people are claiming to see > 5 seconds delay every time (so process being in the RAM or not would probably be irrelevant)

Sent from my GT-I9082 using xda app-developers app

fatino

Oct 4, 2010
I consider 2 - 3 seconds as acceptable. The issue is that some people are claiming to see > 5 seconds delay every time (so process being in the RAM or not would probably be irrelevant)

Sent from my GT-I9082 using xda app-developers app

One time it lagged my phone hard and it took about 10 until it crashed. It was because my phone was under higher load. It depends what I do idle its 2-3 sec. When phone is doing sth more. So I think its the service problem. It has to load each time. So it depends who has what open and how many other services are running. Just my theory.

EDIT: Im almost certain it has sth to do with com.android.incallui service not staying in memory. As I said it dissapears few sec after call. I guess this service was separeted from core android in kitkat in order to save ram. On other versions on android call ui was almost instant.
Again just my theory you might wanna look into that. Maybe some way to keep this process in memory.
EDIT2: Found sth interesting https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=64271

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9000 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Last edited:

jv.batista

Jan 25, 2011
Faro, Portugal
That actually makes sense and I think it's easy to test. Maybe pawitp or someone else could compile a test version with that changed to see if it makes any difference.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2013
@pawitp @Onliner09 @geckoas
Also trying to reproduce this issue... And I can't! I only have maybe 2-4 sec of delay...
The only thing that is different in your setup is the modem... I use JVT and you two don't!
Maybe you should try another modem and see if that solves your issue...!?!

And kudos @pawitp... My old S never felt better!!! ?

Sent from my GT-P5110 using xda app-developers app

My two cents on this. I use modem JW4 and that's my phone's behaviour when I receive a call:

First tone -> Vibrates instantly, rings almost instantly.
Second tone -> Right in the middle of it, I can already answer, screen is active.

As I already mentioned a few days ago, mine had a slight delay that I could live with (between 1/2 seconds more to react than now), but improved when I installed 20140103 nightly.

Just to clarify that it isn't a modem issue. I'm all on stock, modem JW4 and a lot of apps installed.

Last edited:

hornet_II

Oct 23, 2012
Call lag:
It starts ringing an vibrating right away. The screen turns on in 2-3 seconds.
Clean install with all the wipes, all stock.
In spite of this glitch I am a happy and grateful user.
My best regards to Pawitp and the developers

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

karbon222

Jun 21, 2013
met someone with a problem in the dialing number .. when I press boxes to select the number at the bottom I have a blank white rectangle when I get the key back, and again I press boxes opens dialing
I cleaned the cache dialup and phone applications, new versions nighlty not help
when I installed cm 11 I did a full wipe, the first version was that of December 29, then only another future updates

Screenshot_2014-01-06-12-58-53.png

checked on a basic kernel CM11 and sempahore,
I know that others do not quite have reported this problem, but maybe someone with the same met or solved the problem. Other functions work without a problem.

Thanks for a great version 4.4 pawitp

Last edited:

pawitp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 30, 2010
Bangkok
One time it lagged my phone hard and it took about 10 until it crashed. It was because my phone was under higher load. It depends what I do idle its 2-3 sec. When phone is doing sth more. So I think its the service problem. It has to load each time. So it depends who has what open and how many other services are running. Just my theory.

EDIT: Im almost certain it has sth to do with com.android.incallui service not staying in memory. As I said it dissapears few sec after call. I guess this service was separeted from core android in kitkat in order to save ram. On other versions on android call ui was almost instant.
Again just my theory you might wanna look into that. Maybe some way to keep this process in memory.
EDIT2: Found sth interesting https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=64271

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as the bug report since InCallUI is no longer its own package, but a part of Dialer (for reason only unknown to Googlers since the commit message references an internal bug number.)

For testing, I've compiled and attached a version of Dialer with the persistent flag, but it's not a very good idea because it will keep the Dialer (with call logs, etc.) always in the memory. Push it to /system/priv-app/ and reboot.

Attachments

• Dialer.apk
    4.6 MB · Views: 31
Reactions: hertzschi

jv.batista

Jan 25, 2011
Faro, Portugal
Unfortunately, it's not as simple as the bug report since InCallUI is no longer its own package, but a part of Dialer (for reason only unknown to Googlers since the commit message references an internal bug number.)

For testing, I've compiled and attached a version of Dialer with the persistent flag, but it's not a very good idea because it will keep the Dialer (with call logs, etc.) always in the memory. Push it to /system/priv-app/ and reboot.

after the update i'm gonna make a backup and try that.
btw: wasn't it supposed to be delta updates already?

fatino

Oct 4, 2010

Ill test it as soon as possible.

jv.batista

Jan 25, 2011
Faro, Portugal
so, it goes like this. First call from my land line took around 8 seconds to light up the phone, the following ones light up the screen between the first and the second calling ring on the land line phone, that is around 2 seconds...

with the new apk. going to try with the old after lunch...

even after 20min the call still takes ~2s to light up the phone, so it keeps the same behavior whether its consecutive calls and spaced ones.

in consecutive calls the report is the same for the old dialer. have to wait a bit to see if it keeps this way. what I probably need is a longer test period...

going to keep the new dialer for a full day... will report tomorrow...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 4.4 (KitKat), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
    Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. CyanogenMod does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for CyanogenMod is available in the CyanogenMod Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to CyanogenMod, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

What are Nightly builds? Auto compiled builds of the latest CyanogenMod source from github. This version change each night and aren't officialy supported. If you find bugs/issues you can/must discuss here (do not submit nightlies bug on CyanogenMod issue tracker).

Downloads

Latest build: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=galaxysmtd
    Google Apps: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Gapps

Installation

- First time flashing CM11 to your Galaxy S (or coming from another ROM)?
    (Note: a more detailed instruction for first-time install is available on CM Wiki: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_galaxysmtd)
    1. If you're on a ROM prior to 2.3, upgrade to 2.3 is recommended.
    2. Root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery (e.g. Semaphore_2.7.4.tar from http://www.semaphore.gr/downloads).
    3. Reboot into Recovery using 3-button-combo
    4. Do a Nandroid backup!
    5. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
    6. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    7. Optionally install the Google Addon
    - Upgrading from CM7/CM9?
    1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    2. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
    3. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    4. Optionally install the Google Addon
    - Upgrading from CM10/10.1?
    1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    2. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    3. You will finally see a "set_metadata_recursive" status 7 error. That is normal.
    4. Reboot back into recovery (the reboot is required)
    5. Install the ROM again from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    6. Optionally restore /data from Nandroid Backup (the update will wipe your /data)
    7. Optionally install the Google Addon
    - Upgrading from CM10.2?
    1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    3. Optionally install the Google Addon
    - Upgrading from another build of CM11?
    1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    Warning: You may get set_metadata_recursive related-errors during install if you're using a custom kernel without SELinux support. In that case, revert to the stock kernel before continuing or follow the instruction for upgrading from CM10.1.
    Note: The partition layout of CM11 is the same as CM10.2.

Known Issues
    Please do not report bugs if it is already listen in the list of known issues
    • Some CyanogenMod features a missing - please do not file bug reports for those.
    • Cannot set value via custom brightness "Edit" menu
    • No account selected for Backup (gapps problem?)

Reporting Bugs

You are allowed to report bugs only in this thread. Before reporting a bug, please make sure you are running as stock as possible. This means no custom kernel, no custom framework modification, etc. If you are using any of the above modifications, please flash the rom again to get rid of the modifications before reporting.

REPORT BUGS IN THIS THREAD ONLY

• Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. The following is a useful format to follow. Note: If you can provide the latest night/build that the bug didn't exist, it would greatly help in tracking down what caused it.

Code:
    What is your--
    Phone model:
    Radio (baseband):
    CM version:
    CM Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
     restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Are you using--
    a task killer:
    a non-stock kernel:
    CMSettings/Performance settings (other than stock):
    ART Runtime:
    other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

FAQ
    Why is there no transparent status bar/lockscreen widget/"OK Google"?
    Those features have been disabled by Google for low RAM device in order to save RAM. You can try enabling it by removing "ro.config.low_ram=true" from /system/build.prop, however, it is not an officially supported setup.

Does this ROM support FM radio?
    I've checked and the new FM API in CM is not really compatible with our device without heavy modification. Applications using the new API expect to be able to read the FM input as it if were another stream, but FM on our device only does pass-through from FM receiver to speaker/headset, which causes certain functionalities to not work such as volume control. Maybe one can modify the audio routing table in the kernel to have it behave like the API expected, but I'm not really interested in investing time to do that.

TL;DR: No built-in FM radio except if someone else does it and submits a patch.

Why aren't configurations with more than 368 MB used?
    Kernels with more than 368 MB have to sacrifice high-bitrate HD playback ability. The current memory configuration has been designed for maximum compatibility.

Wi-Fi AP does not work after restoring /data with CWM
    CWM does not handle SELinux very well yet. Run this in a root shell to clear all wifi data and reboot.

Code:
    rm -rf /data/misc/wifi

Changelog
    A rough changelog is available here:
    http://changelog.bbqdroid.org/#/galaxysmtd/next or http://www.cmxlog.com/11/galaxysmtd/

For previous unofficial releases, see here

The CyanogenMod team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!
    Need more RAM?

Need more RAM?

Using CMA, memory usually reserved for hardware (camera, video encoding/decoding, jpeg encoding) can be freed for use by applications when they are not in-use. All features, including 720p recording, high-rate video decoding, etc. will still work as before.

This is a WIP. No ETA. There are still a lot of problems with it and it might not be released at all if I don't have time to fix all the issues. Please don't ask to test either, if I need testers, I'd post it in this thread.
    • Added TV Out in Settings -> Display -> Advanced Settings
    • Prevent back button from being pressed in incoming call screen
    • Fixed Browser FC in Advanced -> Website settings
    • Fixed Quick Access Ribbon gone when switching from Quick Settings
    • Fixed 2G/3G Quick Settings toggle
    • Fixed stuttering FLAC music playback
    About RAM mode

Due to an oversight, this build wasn't shipped with low RAM mode enabled. If anyone wants to try, you can add "ro.config.low_ram=true" to your /system/build.prop.

This will disable several features such as translucent status bar, lock screen widgets.

Future builds will ship with this option enabled. (This is actually mandated by the Android CTS. Those that prefer the effects over low memory usage must manually remove the config from build.prop. Before anyone asks, it won't be configurable from Settings.)
    20131118 uploaded.

This should provide better performance if you use zRAM (Settings -> Performance -> Memory Management). Please try the various settings and report back how it affects your experience.