No Android P For the Pixel C

Search This thread

Monazite

Oct 30, 2016
Google is really disgusting... The price of Pixel C is almost equal to iPad pro, but the functional updats is only 2 years.
The Tegra X1 is still more powerful than most Android SoCs, but no support any more.
Google has wasted Pixel C's hardware.

stackdaddy

Aug 7, 2013
Google is really disgusting... The price of Pixel C is almost equal to iPad pro, but the functional updats is only 2 years.
The Tegra X1 is still more powerful than most Android SoCs, but no support any more.

I hate how right you are. Maybe they aren't putting in the time just because of sales volume? I am sure there will be some good roms for it.

Reactions: buzzboy

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012

Only the GPU of Tegra X1 is still superior today. Its CPU and RAM performance are 20 to 50 percent lower than most flagship Android devices of the past year.

pkelly517

Dec 28, 2011
Can see Houston from here
Google Pixel 6
You do realize that the length of support is published years in advance, don't you?

Whining just because Google is doing what it said it would do is plain silly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bloch_hd2
Oh goodness. My mistake.
Google never explicitly stated that the Pixel C would be exempt from it normal update schedule. That should immediately let the world know that it would receive unending support.

Dumb.

So why should anyone buy a Pixel tablet? If that's Google's business model for tablets they might as well (if they haven't done already) jack it in. Buying tablets is different to upgrading your phone every couple of years.

DROIDESP

Sep 21, 2010
San Diego

Totally agree with your comments on this.. The Pixel C was a total waste, for the most part mine just collects dust, and maybe that is why no further support? Just not a viable form factor?

I had three units under warranty with the third finally working. By the time I got a working unit that did not reboot or have power issues the device felt dated. Maybe a fresh coat of paint with P would help, but I doubt it.

A8_Tony

Nov 28, 2008
I love my Pixel C, I use it every day as part of my business activities, and of an evening I'll use it to play some games, consume some Youtube videos, Netflix etc.

I'm disappointed that Google aren't replacing it with another tablet device, as there is very little 'business-class' devices in the Android world

Reactions: 12paq

scoliosis

Jul 6, 2010
So why should anyone buy a Pixel tablet? If that's Google's business model for tablets they might as well (if they haven't done already) jack it in. Buying tablets is different to upgrading your phone every couple of years.

Nobody's stopping you from starting a company and raise funds via Kickstarter to sell a tablet with infinite software lifecycle support. Why don't you do that and show the disgusting company how it's done?

Nobody's stopping you from starting a company and raise funds via Kickstarter to sell a tablet with infinite software lifecycle support. Why don't you do that and show the disgusting company how it's done?

Grow up! I was asking a valid question as to why would anyone buy a £500 tablet if it stopped getting updates after two years. The Pixel was made to try and convert iPad users to switch to Android in my opinion, and it may put people off from doing that, as Apple don't stop supporting their tablets after two years.

wintermute000

Jul 13, 2010
I suppose we can just flash Lineage once that upgrades to P?
Its crappy that our weird underlying OS (for want of a better word) and lack of popularity means a tiny dev scene, but that's not Google's fault directly.

They did give us 2.5 years of updates from release date. That's not so bad. All in all my Pixel C works as advertised, so not sure what everyone's so angry about.

m+a+r+k

Aug 29, 2013
Highlands, Scotland
Grow up! I was asking a valid question as to why would anyone buy a £500 tablet if it stopped getting updates after two years.

10s of millions do just that with Samsungs - you only get 2 years updates for even the top end S range, and they cost a lot more than £500!

Not having Android P doesn't make it any less of a device than having Nougat or Oreo. All the apps work and carry on doing what they've always done. MS Word or YouTube or BBC News or Twitter don't work any differently in Nougat or Oreo and wouldn't under P.

10s of millions do just that with Samsungs - you only get 2 years updates for even the top end S range, and they cost a lot more than £500!

Not having Android P doesn't make it any less of a device than having Nougat or Oreo. All the apps work and carry on doing what they've always done. MS Word or YouTube or BBC News or Twitter don't work any differently in Nougat or Oreo and wouldn't under P.

In that case why update any device? We get updates to improve the experience as well as security for your device. Are you still on Eclair?

scoliosis

Jul 6, 2010
Grow up! I was asking a valid question as to why would anyone buy a £500 tablet if it stopped getting updates after two years. The Pixel was made to try and convert iPad users to switch to Android in my opinion, and it may put people off from doing that, as Apple don't stop supporting their tablets after two years.

A question that has been answered many many times in these hallowed halls. Plenty of people buy Samsung devices that don't get update after 2 years. Everyone likes to compare with Apple. You do realize Apple designs their own hardware soups to nuts right? Google designed their devices based on SoC from other companies. If those companies don't provide updated drivers to work with the new OS, how do you think Google is going to make it work reliably. And before you go saying "There are 3rd party ROMs that does that!" Ask yourself if that ROM doesn't work, what kind of guaranteed support do you get? If it bricks your device, what is your recourse?

Telling you to go start a company that will support a device infinitely is telling you to go dig deeper into what dependencies there are in doing such a thing.

m+a+r+k

Aug 29, 2013
Highlands, Scotland
In that case why update any device?

For the vast majority of users there is no need. In fact there is a significant numbers of users who refuse to upgrade any device for various reasons.

But for those that do update a device - any tech in fact - it's all to do with dopamine. The consumer society is a construct to create more dopamine.

For users and sellers the pleasure of the new, the pleasure of change, the pleasure of not being left behind, of being ahead of your peers in the constant battle to, not only keep up with, but beat the Jones', but ultimately the pleasure of enjoying the VAST profits being made when all the sheep have to have your new device, right here, right now!
:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oh goodness. My mistake.
    Google never explicitly stated that the Pixel C would be exempt from it normal update schedule. That should immediately let the world know that it would receive unending support.

Dumb.

I hate how right you are. Maybe they aren't putting in the time just because of sales volume? I am sure there will be some good roms for it.
    Only the GPU of Tegra X1 is still superior today. Its CPU and RAM performance are 20 to 50 percent lower than most flagship Android devices of the past year.
    Probably correct, but so what? Is that sufficient excuse to drop it? I bet P would run on much more humble configuration.
    You do realize that the length of support is published years in advance, don't you?

Whining just because Google is doing what it said it would do is plain silly.