No bootable A/B Slot and OEM locked device, not able to revert to stock.

Search This thread

Nakano Miku

Nov 21, 2022
OK, so I figured it out on my side, so I want to share my experience for others.

I ran into trouble because LineageOS wiki said that it's great idea to flash a recovery image onto boot partition or because of faulty twrp-3.7.0_12-0-payton version. In result bootloader was corrupted and it behaved strangely. It said there's an issue with selecting A/B slot and when I thought I figured it out I was experiencing fastboot "sending" stuck, also getvar was not returning any information. I also tried to switch USB cables or connect phone via USB hub. No luck.

I was about to accept I messed up and my boot will never recover then I thought that my Linux machine I'm working on is a Manjaro I have issues for some time, so I decided to use Windows 10 instead. I installed Android platform tools and Lenovo's Rescue And Smart Assistant for fastboot drivers. That was it! With this setup finally fastboot talks like it should! I get information from getvar and sending commands/files is working too. I downloaded stock ROM and executed commands sequence from https://kfhost.net/firmware/motorola. I was at home!

So try different environment and do not use Linux Manjaro, try Arch instead. ;-)
But the method does work with those errors, well, in my case a custom rom fails, which I did not know about at the end, put error start up fail, because I have tried what I took from the forums, nothing if it is workable to try it My model motorola one {deen}retla xt1941-3

Attachments

• 20221202_234443.jpg
    20221202_234443.jpg
    782.4 KB · Views: 5

Nakano Miku

Nov 21, 2022
OK, so I figured it out on my side, so I want to share my experience for others.

I ran into trouble because LineageOS wiki said that it's great idea to flash a recovery image onto boot partition or because of faulty twrp-3.7.0_12-0-payton version. In result bootloader was corrupted and it behaved strangely. It said there's an issue with selecting A/B slot and when I thought I figured it out I was experiencing fastboot "sending" stuck, also getvar was not returning any information. I also tried to switch USB cables or connect phone via USB hub. No luck.

I was about to accept I messed up and my boot will never recover then I thought that my Linux machine I'm working on is a Manjaro I have issues for some time, so I decided to use Windows 10 instead. I installed Android platform tools and Lenovo's Rescue And Smart Assistant for fastboot drivers. That was it! With this setup finally fastboot talks like it should! I get information from getvar and sending commands/files is working too. I downloaded stock ROM and executed commands sequence from https://kfhost.net/firmware/motorola. I was at home!

So try different environment and do not use Linux Manjaro, try Arch

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, I have the same problem. I speak Spanish but by the rules I use a translator. I am attentive to any method to recover the phone

Apparently this results from a faulty partition table - maybe caused by an update. And because Lenovo's/Motorola's Rescue and Smart Assistant "LMSA" fails to solve the problem, the only option for oem-locked devices is to use fastboot to flash the original partition table from a stock image onto the device.

So first you have to download an original stock image (for G7 XT1962-5 you can use https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K6XEGXzErCZ7J_sSjTOiM4r1o-GL6u9K/ ) and extract gpt.bin to your working directory. From there execute

fastboot oem fb_mode_set
    fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    fastboot oem fb_mode_clear

Then restart the device and it should boot again as usual, with all your apps and data still there.

P.S.: I'm not sure if the fb_mode_set and fb_mode_clear commands are really necessary. If somebody tries without and it also works, it would be nice to leave a message.

P.P.S: I also attached the gpt.bin for XT1962-5 to this post, so you can also use this one.
    Tried it again now:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    error: Failed to identify current slot

Then I tried to boot it directly:

Code:
    fastboot boot boot.img
    downloading 'boot.img'...
    OKAY [  1.813s]
    booting...
    (bootloader) permission denied!
    FAILED (remote failure)
    finished. total time: 1.824s

Setting a or b slots to active also doesn't work:
    Code:
    fastboot --set-active=a
    Setting current slot to 'a'...
    (bootloader) Command is not allowed
    FAILED (remote failure)
    finished. total time: 0.019s

fastboot --set-active=b
    Setting current slot to 'b'...
    (bootloader) Command is not allowed
    FAILED (remote failure)
    finished. total time: 0.019s

Semms that it needs to unlock the bootloader, but, as my first post explain, I'm unable to unlock it :crying:

I see in getvar that cid returns 0x0000.which means it's unlockable. You probably wouldn't be able to unlock it anyway since you first have to enable the "oem unlock toggle" in dev settings before you can get it unlocked in fastboot.
    Question is how he was able to flash it in the first place if it's locked, unless it's possible to flash original files without unlocking.
    Have you tried to full flash latest retbr firmware or tried to use lenovo/moto smart assistant to recover it?
    That was my first attempt to unbrick my phone, but didn't work :(

I think your device is bricked same as mine. I have been flashing every phone that I have owned and never have I bricked a phone but even with that experience i understand that mine was a novice mistake flashing a lower version of Android. I think you will need to look at qcom blank-flash options.
    Amanhã trarei novidades

Tryed last version of adbtools?

I am Brazilian, I have the same problem for three days, it seems that there is no partition on the device, the cid died, imei does not exist either. I tried everything in these last days to solve, I found a way now at night, amh I will try and warn you, there are boxes to fix the imei of the device search for octopus box on google, or how to fix imei. from what I saw this is the solution, amh I'll let you know if I can solve it. ps: i'm using google translator, check the errors