No Bootloader OEM Unlock Option?

Search This thread

PieHunter

Apr 22, 2019
I got the S10 recently, and when I went into developer options, the "OEM Unlock" option is missing. This confuses me since I ordered a Hong Kong model (SM-G9730) that supposedly allows for an unlockable bootloader according to people here and elsewhere. Would appreciate it if someone could help shed some light on this. If it matters, in Settings > About Phone, it definitely says SM-G9730 is the model, and under Software Information, the build number is G9730ZHU1ASBA, which is apparently the February 2019 build date.

h8thisphone

Jun 9, 2019
Same issue

I'm getting the same problem. I am 100% certain without a shred of doubt that I have the exynos version but OEM unlocking does not appear in developer options immediately after developer options is turned on. From what I have noticed in my recent struggle to put this piece of ---- to good use, the OEM unlock option decides to appear after a certain amount of time after developer mode is enabled. Idk whose bright idea this was but if pissing off the customer was their goal then they did a stellar job.

h8thisphone

Jun 9, 2019
I have this vague memory of reading that the oem unlock option is timed. So I went ahead and set the phone's system time to a month into the future (also checked 24 hour time but im not sure if that had an impact) to 7/9/19 while the phone was connected to wifi and now the OEM unlock option has appeared again. Hope this helps.

khocking

Nov 10, 2015
North Vancouver, BC
I have tried resetting the time trick a dozen times and OEM unlock does not appear. What is really frustrating is that it was there when I first got the phone and I had it turned on. Of course back in March, there was nothing you could do with the phone. Then bright people started to figure out how to root but by then, a firmware update had come along and OEM unlock disappeared. I tried to install Magisk but it failed badly. Now I'm stuck with the first phone/tablet I can't clean up all the unwanted crap I will never use or want. Very frustrating.

Reactions: brianblaze

bengtc

Jun 2, 2013
you need to wipe data, and when you set up your phone have wifi connected. Then it should appear in the options, if it does not change the time into the future

Reactions: Krystiannnnnn

khocking

Nov 10, 2015
North Vancouver, BC
you need to wipe data, and when you set up your phone have wifi connected. Then it should appear in the options, if it does not change the time into the future

I have reset the phone back to a previous firmware version, which should have wiped the data completely. I enabled Developers Options right away but OEM Unlock was not there. I tried the time thing again, but to no avail.
Of course my carrier promptly wanted to install the last update which I accepted. Strangely enough, the phone is behaving better since I did this but I still would prefer to have it rooted so I could get rid of a bunch of junk apps.

dynospectrum

Jan 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
OnePlus 7
OnePlus 7 Pro
I have reset the phone back to a previous firmware version, which should have wiped the data completely. I enabled Developers Options right away but OEM Unlock was not there. I tried the time thing again, but to no avail.
Of course my carrier promptly wanted to install the last update which I accepted. Strangely enough, the phone is behaving better since I did this but I still would prefer to have it rooted so I could get rid of a bunch of junk apps.
So wait 7 days and it will be available ..

khocking

Nov 10, 2015
North Vancouver, BC
khocking...did this work for you?

I bought my device direct from Samsung, S10+, Snapdragon variant and I, too, am not seeing the OEM unlock, even after the time change and after 7 days.

Nope. I believe my carrier must have blocked it from appearing. I've given up all hope of rooting this phone and I'm learning to live with it the way it is. But this may very well be the last Samsung phone I have.

Radio2006

Jul 10, 2014
Sterling, VA
It's the only version available in Canada

This is unbelievably unreal. All these versions and only two are unlockable? I have always bought my phones direct from the manufacturer to prevent a carrier from telling me what I could and could not do with my phone, now the manufacturer is getting in on it. A waste of $1000. However, I refuse to accept this mode of operation. I will perform better research and find a phone that gives me the freedom I feel I am paying for.

Thanks for the information guys!

Rshady

Jun 18, 2019
My OEM is grayed out off disabled will not let me go to download mode from recovery or by pressing the buttons phone will not register to odin at all it's not Verizon or TMobile either

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
It's the only version available in Canada

No it's not.
I just got off of the phone literally less than 5 mins ago with a Telus rep and we were discussing rooting (I'm in this forum wondering if there is a root method for the SD S10 version yet ~ I don't own one). He has the S10 and is waiting for a method to root it. We joked about how the Exynos version is inferior to the SnapDragon one. "Thank god we live in North America" he said.
So I don't know how you got the Exynos S10 from Telus. In Canada you should only be able to get the SnapDragon S10,

khocking

Nov 10, 2015
North Vancouver, BC
No it's not.
I just got off of the phone literally less than 5 mins ago with a Telus rep and we were discussing rooting (I'm in this forum wondering if there is a root method for the SD S10 version yet ~ I don't own one). He has the S10 and is waiting for a method to root it. We joked about how the Exynos version is inferior to the SnapDragon one. "Thank god we live in North America" he said.
So I don't know how you got the Exynos S10 from Telus. In Canada you should only be able to get the SnapDragon S10,

You're correct, I was mistaken in thinking the Qualcomm processor was the Exynos version. My apologies for that. Nevertheless, the OEM unlock switch is not available and has not been since the first updated firmware I got from Telus.
When I called Telus to ask about it, I got the run-around and essentially a non-answer. I have to believe it is Telus that is blocking this function although I've not read about anybody having this trouble who is with any of the other carriers. If you are looking to buy, you might explore this theory.

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
You're correct, I was mistaken in thinking the Qualcomm processor was the Exynos version. My apologies for that. Nevertheless, the OEM unlock switch is not available and has not been since the first updated firmware I got from Telus.
When I called Telus to ask about it, I got the run-around and essentially a non-answer. I have to believe it is Telus that is blocking this function although I've not read about anybody having this trouble who is with any of the other carriers. If you are looking to buy, you might explore this theory.

There is no root method yet for the SD S10.
It's not Telus, It's Samsung.
If you want root, don't buy a Samsung device. There will be a method eventually probably, but there has been a problem with root on the S line for quite some time now.
I would recommend a Pixel myself (monthly updates for 3yrs+), but there are other options out there.

Top Liked Posts