No Custom ROM for the Surface Duo ?

Search This thread
Hi,
When I read the questions and guides, it seems the Surface Duo can be unlocked and rooted pretty easily.
So I was wondering why there is no custom ROM for this device which is, by all means, not perfect (it has a lot of flaws) but that I consider as at least a refreshing attempt to dig out of the "one glass rectangle touch screen" that we're now used to for years.
Is it beacause there's no love for the device ?
Or is it because Microsoft released absolutely no sources for the internal hardware ?

If there's anyone willing to try, I can offer build server to do it...

And contacts in a community to help iron out problems...

Regards.

TheJayMann

Sep 10, 2021
Microsoft has indeed released the sources of the internal hardware, or, at the very least, some of it. I don't really know how to determine whether or not all of the drivers are included with the kernel source code. But they do have this kernel source code hosted on GitHub, under a combination of MIT, Apache, and GPL licensing, as well as full instructions on how to build the kernel. The instructions are located at microsoft/surface-duo-oss, and the scripts end up downloading from other microsoft/surface-duo-oss-* repositories. I've not actually tried to build this myself, and I'm not sure what you actually end up with afterwards, whether it is just a kernel, or if it also includes AOSP, and whether or not this can be included in the process of generating another distribution such as Lineage. But, I think this should at least be some information that can be used to at least start the process assuming anyone with existing experience is interested in starting this.

I have seen it expressed elsewhere that one reason people have not created a custom ROM is that android 10 does not have native support for multiscreen devices, while android 11 does. Meanwhile, Microsoft has only released android 10 for the device, and this includes the surface-duo-oss scripts as well, but that there is plans here soon (late September) by Microsoft release android 11 for the Surface Duo.

tiguy99

Oct 3, 2007
Chicago
Fingers crossed! Looking forward to a robust desktop mode and multiple external monitor support like the regular Surface Pro does 😊

Basically a phone that acts like a Surface PC when you dock at home or at work so you can actually work from the device like a normal Surface laptop and then fold and put it in our pockets when we're done working

Reactions: xjrc

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fingers crossed! Looking forward to a robust desktop mode and multiple external monitor support like the regular Surface Pro does 😊

Basically a phone that acts like a Surface PC when you dock at home or at work so you can actually work from the device like a normal Surface laptop and then fold and put it in our pockets when we're done working