No data or voice, shows ! in icon

Search This thread

Bohemus

Apr 30, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Having the exact same issue since May 4th. Tmobile is clueless about it. I'm on LMY47M in Phoenix, AZ. Replaced SIM, factory reset, was about to downgrade the radio as well. Looks like nothing is resolving the issue. Will be watching this thread closely!

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
Guys, something truly strange happened today. After I posted in this thread earlier today, my phone worked for 2 calls in a row for the first time since January on LTE....then stopped again. There is a problem between the handoff of LTE and whatever they call their 3g (HSDPA) for me because this device doesn't support VoLTE. Mine drops to 3G in call.

So is it all west coast so far? A T-Mo tech support guy told me months ago (early FEBRUARY) that there were known issues in the Southwest area. If its effecting newer devices, account credits are in order

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent Gray Tapatalk 2

meh3884

Feb 6, 2012
Seattle
Guys, something truly strange happened today. After I posted in this thread earlier today, my phone worked for 2 calls in a row for the first time since January on LTE....then stopped again. There is a problem between the handoff of LTE and whatever they call their 3g (HSDPA) for me because this device doesn't support VoLTE. Mine drops to 3G in call.

So is it all west coast so far? A T-Mo tech support guy told me months ago (early FEBRUARY) that there were known issues in the Southwest area. If its effecting newer devices, account credits are in order

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent Gray Tapatalk 2

I'm in Seattle, and another user posted on T-mobile support thread that they are right here in my same N. Seattle neighbourhood and started experiencing the issue on the exact morning I started seeing mine. Interesting, eh? That's why I am wondering if there are clusters of folks in certain areas that might be using a particular band/frequency. I don't have this issue nearly so much when I travel 9-10 miles south to downtown. edit: Still, I have friends and coworkers in the area on T-mobile and they aren't having problems (they also don't have Nexus 6s)

Last edited:

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
I'm in Seattle, and another user posted on T-mobile support thread that they are right here in my same N. Seattle neighbourhood and started experiencing the issue on the exact morning I started seeing mine. Interesting, eh? That's why I am wondering if there are clusters of folks in certain areas that might be using a particular band/frequency. I don't have this issue nearly so much when I travel 9-10 miles south to downtown. edit: Still, I have friends and coworkers in the area on T-mobile and they aren't having problems (they also don't have Nexus 6s)

Yeah this started in late January/early February on the M7 and M8 and HTC released an update because Google broke it with their Services Framework update. The voice features broke some HTC software for calls. There was a hot fix a developer came up with. Now since they expanded and rebranded. the app it has spread to other devices but the fact that it could cause problems on a Nexus device is troubling. It does seem to be a west coast problem though.

I contacted qbking77 and a few dev friends in the Midwest and East coast to check on their Nexus 6's. I was shocked that after several months mine briefly worked so its OBVIOUSLY with the carriers software bumping heads with Google's ever expanding intrusion into every aspect of the phone

Edit..a friend in NYC had one problem with LTE calling today on his T-Mobile S6 Edge. I hope that this isn't going to become a problem of an overcrowded network. Project Fi was delayed and someone who is testing had all kinds of drops in signal as well

Last edited:

seeansea

Apr 19, 2012
Seattle
I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile in early April. I have had issues with texts failing to send since I received my Nexus 6. Two weeks ago, fed up with the text issues, I flashed the factory images for 5.1 and when that didn't fix the issue I flashed the 5.0 image and let the T-Mobile OTA to 5.1 occur. Again, did not fix the issue. I then had them replace my SIM card, again no fix.

Then, soon after the new connectivity service app was released I also started to enjoy frequent periods of no signal at all, or the ! signal and no connectivity.

I experienced this in the Seattle area, and also now during my travels in Hungary and Croatia. My wife, with her iPhone 6 has not experienced a single issue while I am frequently fiddling with my phone to establish connectivity.

After having a slew of issues with my Nexus 4 perviously, and no issues with my own iPhone 6 just prior to obtaining the Nexus 6, I have to say I have really begun to doubt my faith in Android and the Nexus program. I sincerely hope this will be fixed soon and I'll watch this thread very closely in the immediate future.

cam30era

Recognized Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
Columbus, Indiana
FWIW: carrier is AT&T. While I've lost my signal and had to reboot, it's very infrequent, and it's always been in a very weak LTE signal area.
LMY47I with 95R radio.

Last edited:

psak

Oct 13, 2010
i've experienced similar behavior & noticed that at least in my situation(started with an introduction of either 5.0.2 or 5.1), phone didn't stick to a proper APN. once the phone call is made or the phone comes off a WiFi or jumps from LTE tower to lower grade 3G tower(phone forced to switch modes due to losing a signal with a tower for a moment). that is when I notice that the phone wasn't assigning itself to the APN that was chosen previously.
t-mobile example: phone chooses/drops back to top of the list APN, even if I was on 3rd or 4th APN that I have in my phone . after clearing or rearranging my APNs, so that LTE fast.t-mo APN is top entrance, I no longer experience connectivity problems. currently running benzo 5.1.1 LMY47V with .95R radio, VoLTE checked on.

v8dreaming

Aug 15, 2010
N. Las Vegas
I'm on T-Mobile. This happens to me when I'm using Wi-Fi. After a while of the phone sitting idle, I lose connection to Wi-Fi and cell data. If I turn off Wi-Fi, cell data will come back. It doesn't matter what ROM I'm on, and it's been happening since I got the phone in January.

Last edited:

meh3884

Feb 6, 2012
Seattle
here is a list of fixes to the solution. Any of them worked for you? http://www.amongtech.com/how-to-fix-nexus-6-data-connection-issue/
These are not solutions to this problem. This issue is a specific problem that started around May 4th. It's not an APN or SIM card issue, root issue, build specific problem, it isn't solved by any of the standard solutions to the many previous Nexus 6 intermittent signal problems that have been occuring since the phone's release.

WhatAmI

Jul 11, 2011
It's not just the USA (as for most of you) or anything to do with a certain carrier.
I'm in UK and just like everybody else my N6 started giving "!" on the cell and wifi icons.
This is 5.1 - not the later 5.1.1
There are other people in the house connecting ok to exactly the same carrier/cell tower and wifi with no problems.

So the problem is on the device - and given that's it all just started for everbody it means it must be a software issue.

I found switching off the Wifi and then switching it back on again cleared the error - until it happens again. No need for a switch off restart.

I tried disabling various options to do with wifi/cell switching and stopping location options etc etc but nothing seemed to stop the problem. So it's something deeper going on with a recent Google App update.

gooface

Feb 20, 2012
Buckley, WA
This has been happening to me all the time as of lately, I am on T mobile and still on 5.0.1

I will be using my phone and the data stops working and then I shut the data off then back on and the "!" symbol appears. I will then proceed to restart the phone and when it comes back on its working again.

noutoo

Sep 24, 2011
I've had this going on for almost 2 weeks. I blamed Verizon. Seems to happen when I have a weak cell signal more. flipping to airplane mode fixed it most times but a few times that caused my phone to reboot. N6 from motorola running 5.0.1 Pure Rom.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
So I tried with the 5.0 radio and within a few minutes of getting to work my connection had dropped. Right now I'm trying with forcing it to 2G only. So far it's been like an hour and it's good. That's an awful solution, but it's an interesting data point. I tried it last week but didn't keep it for long because of how slow it was. I have a rock solid EDGE connection though, so if it works in this situation, I think it might prove somewhat it's related to signal strength.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
So it's been a few hours and I haven't dropped yet. I think setting it to 2G only might be a workaround for the people who are losing the ability to make and receive calls if it's important for them. Obviously the data is dirt slow, but I think a few people were having issues at home, and people at home would probably be on wifi anyway.

Reactions: jbdan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did anyone do this? Just questioning the validity, since its out of the blue.

I'm a Motorola Community Manager. Designated by XDA. I've been validated.

If you feel more comfortable you can give me your name on our community http://forums.motorola.com so long as you have your phone registered on our side of the fence or send me a to my Profile

Mark
    Motorola Support
    So over at Google product forums in the Nexus Help Forum section, there is a post called: Nexus 6 Data Connection Failure - Cross carrier, location and OS Version and here is an update which was sent today: https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/nexus/7XqSg2bt8VM/THtP6s-2eAQJ
    Here is what it says:
    blurfocus said:
    In case it helps lower the frustration level due to no response and apparent lack of understanding by Google reps, the Project Fi team (at Google) has acknowledged this issue and claims to be actively investigating and working with partners to fix it. Also, they are aware that this problem is not limited to Project Fi. I have a trouble ticket on this issue that is still open. Hopefully, the Project Fi team will reach out to the rest of the mobile teams and work together on this.

This is an excerpt that was posted by a moderator to the Project Fi forum (open to those who are in the Project Fi trial).

"... Nexus 6 entering a state in which all functions -- including data, voice and messaging -- no longer work. In some cases, users report that their Nexus 6 seems to recover after rebooting, but functions stop working again after a short while.

We’re sorry for the disruption and inconvenience this is causing for folks, and the team is actively investigating and working with partners on a fix. We’ll update the community as soon as we're able."
    Thanks to everyone who repoted this issue on the thread I created over at Google Nexus forums. We got an official answer!

https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/nexus/7XqSg2bt8VM/PdtR6lDiX9cJ

Thanks for the reports everyone. We are investigating this issue. I'll post back here if we'd like any additional data from the community.

As others have mentioned in this conversation, you can work around this by turning your phone off and then back on again. I know that's not ideal, but I want to be sure and mention it in case you find yourself in this state.

(I'm going to mark this post as a best answer to this question. Please don't take that as a sign that Google considers this issue fully resolved. Rather, it's the best way for this forum system to display an important update at the beginning of a thread, and I want to help ensure that any newcomers to this discussion see the latest update from me.)

Let's keep the pressure on though.
    Please report back on this, I'm really curious if the new build has any change.

I also upgraded to Android M yesterday, and it just happened to me this morning.

NOTE: At home, I am not seeing this issue. I am getting "!" only my work, since TMO is using the towers from AT&T and my works internet connection for their data (which AT&T is as well). So I already had crappy mobile data.
    They offered to let me get a new phone on EIP with a 30 day return, no restocking fee (the rep seemed to know that the Nexus phones are not the same as any other). At the end of the thirty days, I could either send the new phone back or send my N6 back and they'd wipe my N6 EIP (450ish dollars). Seems like a pretty good offer when it isn't really their issue. She also said that she would run up my info to her Google contact, and called back asking for more information so I'd like to think something is happening here. For now, I just sold my n6 and am going to use my n5 until this clears up. No use holding onto a device with a declining value when it will just sit in a drawer.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone