• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

No development progress :(

Search This thread

none24

Jun 25, 2014
It's kinda sad to see the forum for the Duo not really progressing even with a device with an unlocked bootloader.

This device is amazing , it sucks to see it not getting much love from the dev community :(

xgp0006

Jun 23, 2010
San Antonio
GSI?

also i noticed this was a dead forum. ppl are on the reddit. but im wondering if ppl just waiting on the Android 11 release then hustling on that. ALSO a lot of BS bad press from APPLE funded mainstream reviewers....so i mean..... i really get annoyed with my device SOMETIMES but MOST of the time....im loving it....and its a HUGE head turner and convo starter....its a great device

papawiskas

Jul 20, 2010
After having to use an iPhone as a work issued device for the last 10 years, and being an Android person since the first Droid arrived way back when, 2 weeks ago I bought this device. I LOVE IT!!! I am now loving reading my ebooks, could never find a device I liked to read them on. I have literally 10 years of books to catch up on. The form and function of this device is far more advanced than the iPhone XR I was using. Yeah the camera leaves something to be desired, but it makes up for it in form and function. I don't need a great camera, what I need is a flexible device that allows me to integrate my work and home life balance. The 2 screens and being able to do more things at once is awesome. I am really hoping development takes off for this device.

marc206

Dec 29, 2010
Microsoft Surface Duo
This device was released first in the USA. I believe now that other countries are starting to get this device. I believe we will see a lot of development for this device. Remember android 11 and 12 were designed for dual and non dual screens. More to come guys. Im actually interested in learning linux. I heard it just commands.

renegadeone8

Nov 19, 2008
It's kinda sad to see the forum for the Duo not really progressing even with a device with an unlocked bootloader.

This device is amazing , it sucks to see it not getting much love from the dev community :(
They are baking the multi-screen features into Android 11. Any custom development now requires incorporating all that stuff into a ROM (which means ripping it from an existing ROM, figuring out how it all works and then porting it to AOSP, maybe a piece of cake, maybe a nightmare) whereas in theory the AOSP 11 source will allow us to just build as-is and get at least minimal dual-screen support without having to do a bunch of extra work.

Microsoft has some decent documentation up for the Duo already but it's Microsoft's first Android device, there is a lot of work to be done.

Reactions: ultraprimeomega

JengaMasterG

Sep 1, 2012
Devon
LG G6
Opp Find X
They are baking the multi-screen features into Android 11. Any custom development now requires incorporating all that stuff into a ROM (which means ripping it from an existing ROM, figuring out how it all works and then porting it to AOSP, maybe a piece of cake, maybe a nightmare) whereas in theory the AOSP 11 source will allow us to just build as-is and get at least minimal dual-screen support without having to do a bunch of extra work.

Microsoft has some decent documentation up for the Duo already but it's Microsoft's first Android device, there is a lot of work to be done.

Yeah, I agree. It's a lot of work and you have to find the software changes that they made inside the system image. I managed to get the system images separate from the OTA files, but I'm stuck on extracting the data from the system image. Microsoft used a different file type than other developers, but once we can access the data from system images, we'll be one step closer to ROM development!

tiguy99

Oct 3, 2007
Chicago
Yeah, I agree. It's a lot of work and you have to find the software changes that they made inside the system image. I managed to get the system images separate from the OTA files, but I'm stuck on extracting the data from the system image. Microsoft used a different file type than other developers, but once we can access the data from system images, we'll be one step closer to ROM development!
I'm looking forward to it!
This is one device with tons of potential screaming for development. I would buy it just for the things a rooted Duo could do!

We already have gCam.

What I need as a rich DeX like desktop mode where I can plug in my dock and connect to multiple monitors and work like I do with my regular Surface.

Then minute that happens I'm grabbing one ASAP.

JengaMasterG

Sep 1, 2012
Devon
LG G6
Opp Find X
System and Vendor Files Extracted for Build 2021.817.35 (and for future builds):

JengaMasterG

Sep 1, 2012
Devon
LG G6
Opp Find X
Would someone be willing to test my TWRP boot image? My Duo is bricked and I can't flash any files to the system anymore :/

This is the software you need to be on: 2021.913.25. If you can, you can dm me or reply here!

kmccall

Nov 3, 2021
I'm on 2021.913.27 unfortunately, and I have another duo thats been off for a few months if that will help at all.

Im already 2400 in the hole and moved on to the iPhone 13mini so I'm happy to help test if it can get this device a few steps closer to functional.

JengaMasterG

Sep 1, 2012
Devon
LG G6
Opp Find X
I'm on 2021.913.27 unfortunately, and I have another duo thats been off for a few months if that will help at all.

Im already 2400 in the hole and moved on to the iPhone 13mini so I'm happy to help test if it can get this device a few steps closer to functional.

The phone doesn't power on anymore? If you can send me the 2021.913.27 zip file that's used to restore your phone, I can make a TWRP image you can test.

kmccall

Nov 3, 2021
The phone doesn't power on anymore? If you can send me the 2021.913.27 zip file that's used to restore your phone, I can make a TWRP image you can test.
you misunderstand :) so heres the full story you can skip if you want
I purchased 2 Duos with my partner. He stopped using his after a short while and some mild water damage and I stopped using mine after cracking it. The insurance process with Asurion was such a pain in the ass that I never got either repaired but both still boot and operate completely fine. I just hate them.

I would like to hate the phones I spent so much money on a lot less and am willing to even accidently brick them in the process but haven't done more than rooting and TWRPing samsung and OnePlus phones. but I work in robotics so it can't be too outside my depth to assist with.

TLDR: I have two beatup Duo phones that boot and run perfectly. I am happy to help flash and mess around with them.

[[ If you can send me the 2021.913.27 zip file that's used to restore your phone ]]

Where would I find this file? Or is there a way to get non rooted phones to spit out their updater files?

JengaMasterG

Sep 1, 2012
Devon
LG G6
Opp Find X
you misunderstand :) so heres the full story you can skip if you want

TLDR: I have two beatup Duo phones that boot and run perfectly. I am happy to help flash and mess around with them.

[[ If you can send me the 2021.913.27 zip file that's used to restore your phone ]]

Where would I find this file? Or is there a way to get non rooted phones to spit out their updater files?

Oh gotcha. You can find how to get it here:

You can send me the zip file. I'll get the resources from it and send you a boot image to boot from fastboot. If the phone successfully boots, we have TWRP. If not, it's back to the drawing board.

kmccall

Nov 3, 2021
Oh gotcha. You can find how to get it here:

You can send me the zip file. I'll get the resources from it and send you a boot image to boot from fastboot. If the phone successfully boots, we have TWRP. If not, it's back to the drawing board.
And if it bricks, I'll somehow still be satisfied. I'll get back to you this evening. :)

Just started my shift

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    System and Vendor Files Extracted for Build 2021.817.35 (and for future builds):

I was thinking the same. I'm sure making the dual screens function as they should might be offsetting.

Android 11 supports multi screens out the gate from what ive heard.

Im also hoping someone just makes an optimized deodex stock rom. the ram management isnt great :\
    Same and same. Was really looking forward to that speaker mod.