• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

No development progress :(

Search This thread

JengaMasterG

Sep 1, 2012
Devon
LG G6
Opp Find X
@JengaMasterG Sorry for the delay!

No worries! Here's the test boot.img w/ TWRP on it for 2021.913.27.

How to test:

UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER REQUIRED
Settings -> Developer Options -> Enable OEM Unlock ON

Turn off phone. Power on phone while pressing the vol down button for fastboot mode
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock
THIS WIPES USER DATA

Phone will restart....Reboot back into fastboot mode

Then run:
Code:
fastboot boot twrp_duo_913.27_BETA.img

Your phone should boot up...if you get back to the lock screen / phone setup screen, the boot image works!
If not...it's back to the drawing board

JengaMasterG

Sep 1, 2012
Devon
LG G6
Opp Find X
Thought I'd shoot out an update:

First: I'm building the kernel from scratch instead of using a prebuilt boot.img from the OTA update.

Second: the source code is a mess. There are a bunch of syntactical and format errors in the source code. You wouldn't figure this out if you followed Microsoft's directions on how to build their kernel.

Third: Microsoft compiles their kernel through the build/build.sh method. This allows speedy build time, but doesn't show errors to the user compiling whatsoever.
We also weren't given a device tree, which is as essential as the kernel tree when building android for any device. Thankfully, that can be generated.

In summary: there's a lot of code to go through. Errors are being thrown everywhere, most of which need to be fixed, but there's still development happening for the Surface Duo!

If I make a new thread for the TWRP development progress, I'll post it here.

LocBox

Aug 16, 2009
Microsoft Surface Duo
It‘s been a long ride from the beginning with this thing, but once we crack through to 11 i think things will pick up tremendously. I can’t wait to see this thing run AOSP with some Viper and Vanced.

Reactions: JengaMasterG

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey just checking in on progress? Any updates ?
    Hey, none yet. I just finished up finals so I can start back up this week!
    System and Vendor Files Extracted for Build 2021.817.35 (and for future builds):

Thought I'd shoot out an update:

First: I'm building the kernel from scratch instead of using a prebuilt boot.img from the OTA update.

Second: the source code is a mess. There are a bunch of syntactical and format errors in the source code. You wouldn't figure this out if you followed Microsoft's directions on how to build their kernel.

Third: Microsoft compiles their kernel through the build/build.sh method. This allows speedy build time, but doesn't show errors to the user compiling whatsoever.
    We also weren't given a device tree, which is as essential as the kernel tree when building android for any device. Thankfully, that can be generated.

In summary: there's a lot of code to go through. Errors are being thrown everywhere, most of which need to be fixed, but there's still development happening for the Surface Duo!

If I make a new thread for the TWRP development progress, I'll post it here.
    It's kinda sad to see the forum for the Duo not really progressing even with a device with an unlocked bootloader.

This device is amazing , it sucks to see it not getting much love from the dev community :(
    I was thinking the same. I'm sure making the dual screens function as they should might be offsetting.

Android 11 supports multi screens out the gate from what ive heard.

Im also hoping someone just makes an optimized deodex stock rom. the ram management isnt great :\
    Same and same. Was really looking forward to that speaker mod.